My Last Run

Comments

• jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Dual 5K (out and back) with number one son (he on his bike). Meant to be a 10K, but he managed to have his front brake seize up at the turn, so I had to spend 10 minutes fiddling with the mechanism (no tools of course) before heading back. That said, the return 5K was *magnificent* (for me; probably ordinary for you lot :wink: )
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Glad you are feeling better, Nessie. No sign of swittle - hope he's OK.
    jtced - I wouldn't count on that. I'm more tortoise than hare. :grin:

6 miles today. It was meant to be an easy run but turned into a progression run (starting at 11:02 and ending at 9:38). Legs felt OK. I think that hamstring problem is going to be there for a while so I'm just going to keep running unless it suddenly gets worse. I'm being a bit more diligent about my warm-downs now and am making sure I do glute bridges and the like every day.
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Ah, but Cal, didn't the tortoise win in the end? :wink:
  • Evening! 7 steady miles tonight. The breeze took some of the heat away and I enjoyed following HR instead of pace :)
  • Some might say Norfolk is the flattest county around, but my quads disagree at the moment, Cal :) Actually, where I run mostly, in Norwich, there are some good little hills - a bit like a mini San Francisco! Out of town, though, it is pretty flat in these parts, so my Norfolk and Suffolk Halfs should be okay and with views to die for.
    Plenty of good running going on - Cal, TGR, Nessie and Jtced. As you say, there's great variety on here and plenty of good ideas for beginners like me (I started running 18 months ago).
    I had planned a 6 miler tonight, but my little uns had other ideas with their bedtime shenanigans. So, it turned out to be a 3.5 miler with a few good climbs and towards the top end of my pace for that distance - 8:43mi. Sweated buckets but enjoyed giving it a bit of welly over a shorter route.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    10.5 miles last night, starting with a (slow-paced) 200m climb in the first mile, followed by easy-paced all the way until about mile 6, then 5K-10K pace on the hilly coastal bit, where I (drum-roll) *caught and passed* another runner (who looked younger than me - yay, this training is paying off!!!). In the last mile, sighted and caught up with another couple, also doing a long run (17m for them apparently) and so fell in and chatted for a bit. They're in training for Loch Ness like me! Small world :smile:
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Day off work yesterday so 31km jog, shuffle-jog and walk in 4:15 including around 1300m uphill and 1000 back down again.  

I mostly followed the second half of the Jungfrau-Marathon course from Lauterbrunnen to the finish at Kleine Scheidegg (the course is permanently marked) and then jogged the 10km down the mountain to Grindelwald.  Fantastic mountain scenery to enjoy.

I struggled badly when doing the marathon last autumn, yesterday's effort was at a similar speed and felt much better but I didn't of course have the other half marathon preceeding it. I also left out the nasty bit 3 km at the end of the marathon course involving a steep trail.

I got up at 5:15 to avoid the worst of the heat and potential thunderstorms in the afternoon and to compensate for 2 hours of train travel in each direction.

Got the hydration and fuel more or less right - took my rucksack with me and sipped regularly and munched every now and then on nuts, dried fruit and biscuits.   

I must have forgotten to put sun cream on my face (did all other exposed bits) and will have to put in a couple of red nose days.     

Sore legs / butt today but nothing too bad.  Will try to get out for a gentle recovery jog later.

Lauterbrunnen valley
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Wow, that's pretty. And probably a bugger to run!
  • Wow. What a place to run :)
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's an amazing view! (But yeah, looks...challenging!)
  • Q W233Q W233 ✭✭✭
    Amazing views! 
    My last long training run before the South Downs half this Saturday was last Sunday, 16.64km in 1:40 at 6:02/km - definitely feeling the effects of interval training. Also did some speed work on the treadmill on Tuesday which amounted to 8km altogether. Definitely feel ready for the half now.
  • Wow that is beautiful, but does look hilly!
  • Wow HazelnutCH, what a beautiful place.

Little 3 miler tonight...
    The climb out of that valley is around 400m in 2km - have to walk that.

Good luck for your parkrun tomorrow Cal and your half Q W233 !

Nessie, the last time I looked on Fetch swittle was still streaking :p

Loch Ness sounds nice jtced.  Are you based in Scotland? Think I read it somewhere, maybe not on this thread. 

5km recovery for me this evening.  Thighs initially pretty grumpy but improved as I went along.  Running down steep hills always gives me DOMS the next day but rather that than sore knees.  Warm but much less humid than the last few days.  Something small, black and fluffy shot out of a ditch towards my ankles but was quickly called off.  Jogged past a bloke practicing his alphorn, I could hear it all round the field.  Lovely mellow sound - even the occasional wrong notes ;)
    No run (yet) today but - happy birthday Cal! Hope you have a nice day!
  • QW - good luck with your half. Hope its not too hot, although I fear it may be!
    Happy Birthday, Cal - lovely day for it.

After far too much pizza and ice cream with our neighbours at our Great Get Together last night, I got out for a hot 4 miles this morn - already 22C at 8am. Glorious morning, but am not a fan of running in heat. I love rain, don't mind getting hat and gloves on for cold, but heat gets me. Anyway, a steady run and pleased to say my 'steady' is now nearer what my 'tempo' was about 6 months ago, which is nice.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I actually hate hot weather (my flat faces west so it gets hotter and hotter throughout the day and maxes out at bedtime. Bleurgh). And I don't run well in it. My first parkrun since Liverpool was pretty lacklustre. A lot of factors at play here - post marathon legs, bothersome hamstring and heat - so it's not surprising, but I couldn't sustain any kind of pace. Ended up with 27:35. But hey, I now have a soft age group PB to beat.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Still going, swittle? Don't be a stranger.

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    ***Happy Birthday Cal!***
    Nice to parkrun on your birthday, but the heat!!
    Swittle!! Great to see you're still lurking :-)
    Hazel- that view!! You are amazing to run those hills
    Will- the get together looked amazing, great cause and sentiment
    Great running from all
    I've not been around much this week. And what a sad and awful world we are living in these recent weeks :-(
    I've been doing a bit of running- most days this week.  This morning I did an aquathlon in Welwyn Garden City at Stanborough Lake. 750m swim and 5 km run. The swim bit was lovely- a really nice lake. The run bit was a disaster and typical to form, I got lost (I wasn't the only one- there was a last minute change to the course due to a circus in the park, so it was a combination of my doziness and vague signage.  I ended up just outside the big top and realised I'd probably got lost. So it was a crap run, and obviously over distance, but by the time I got lost, I kind of gave up. Hot enough at 8.30 in the morning and it's still 28 degrees here in London at 10.30 at night  :#
  • Q W233Q W233 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like I'm not the only one caught in the heat! Somehow despite never stopping once and pacing myself to not go all out I finished a whole 10 minutes slower (2:26)than last year in my half - and last year I stopped to walk 3-4 times and lost a good 5 minutes from it, plus had a months' less training AND it was my first half lol. Nevermind, I'm blaming the deadly combination of extreme heat, unreasonably steep hills and water stops at 7km/15km/19km marks - I could have sworn they were located at earlier parts last year. On the plus side this time I didn't feel like passing out at the end so it's all good and onto the next one for me.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Been dealing with what's become an annual wrangle with redundancy, this time, a third of my post.  Gives me plenty to think about on my daily run.
    I'd like to make 25 years - got two to do.  Not ready to go yet.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I feel completely listless in this heat. I went out before 6 this morning and struggled through my minimum 4 mile distance at over 11 minute miles pace. Ugh.
  • KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    First run after 4 weeks rest to get my feet back in some kind of working order. Tried to go out before it got too hot. That didn't work ! 5 lots of 5 minute runs with 2 minute walking breaks. Extra slow because of the heat, but got it done.

Going to build back up to 10k over the next few weeks then tick along there until the next time I make a mad decision to do a half (or even a whole) marathon  :o
    Sorry to hear that swittle.  I hope you have it clarified soon.  It's good to see you on here. 

Well done for getting around your half Q W 233 despite the course and the conditions.

I don't enjoy running in the heat either.  I try to do routes with water sources and shade and take a hydration rucksack with me on longer outings.  I sometimes take a small sponge for quick refreshes also - the water doesn't have to be drinking quality for that. 

8.5km in 53 minutes for me this morning at 7:30 am.  Took an undulating route around the village and the local wood to benefit from the shade on quite a bit of the route.  Felt pretty tired, didn't run at the weekend but did some cycling on Saturday and a long mountain hike yesterday.  But I'm not really a morning runner either.
  • Recovery run with a friend who has just returned to running after 20 year lay off.  Run around the tracks and trails of the local village.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a rough time of it, swittle. I hope everything works out.

I had a very hot night (30 degrees in my flat) I woke up feeling crap but made myself go out and found that, although I expected another rubbish run at 11 minute mile pace, my legs actually had some bounce. First mile went down in 10:30, then 10:03 (MP), then pushed for the third mile (8:52 - HMP) before mixing it up for the final mile with some faster bits and recovery bits. I feel a bit better now (even though my room is now full of little black flies after leaving the window open all night. Bleh!)
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Well, I only went and broke myself (in a sense) on Saturday.  I thought I'd get in a long run, so set out mid-morning.  I guess I should have thought it through: 15.5 miles, with around 600m of total climb over that distance, some of which was quite steep.  I must have pushed too hard, ended up really out of sorts later in the day, and just not right on Sunday and yesterday.  Must have been the heat - it has been kinda warm here - and the sun (hat? what hat?).  

Anyway, it's cooled down, and I've had two full days off to recover, so hopefully get ~8-10k in tonight after work....
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    For two pins, I'd have lapped the local park this a.m., just for the shade of the mature trees.  Headed off for the prom and met some warm dogs out walking.  4.1 miles