My Last Run

Comments

• Careful with the antibiotics, Andrea. Some (the ones that end in -floxacin) are really bad for the tendons and runners shouldn't use them. Hopefully you aren't on one of those.

Will, you seem to be on the same HM schedule as I am! Your training plan seems fine - I am actually planning on doing a lot more running than that, but then I am training for marathons. I'm doing parkrun tomorrow and a long run Sunday (length dependant on how I feel, but as long as possible really). I'll take it easier during the week.

Some good training from everyone. Just 6 easy today - it was rather cold. Didn't see anything interesting. Just a standard run.
  • Hazel I'm crap in the forest too. I've been running in Epping Forest for 9 years and I still fairly regularly get lost too. Nice sounding interval session.
    Good running Cal, JT.
    I've had a great swim and easy 4 miles this morning so hopefully all good for Sunday's HM
  • Thanks Cal. It's doxycycline that I've been prescribed. The pressure behind my nose has eased today but my head is still aching, if I feel like this tomorrow I will be skipping parkrun. If the headache has eased then I will go and just jog round.

Nessie, great swim! I used to swim a mile every week a few years ago. Must get get back into that habit!

Hazel- love the sound of those intervals. Love me some speed work.

Cal- it certainly is cold out there, I took the kids to play football in the park and we could only manage an hour.

• I used to swim most mornings too, back when I had a job with a corporate gym membership as one of the perks. But when I resumed swimming in my local pool I couldn't deal with the chlorine - allergic rhinitis every time. I guess, because there are a lot more kids in it, they use more chlorine. :(
    Good luck tomorrow, Nessie!
    Andrea, I hope you were able to get out today. I had sinusitis a couple of years ago (I used to catch everything when I was teaching, bloody kids!) and it was miserable.

I had a great parkrun today. I cheated on my local with Fulham Palace - this is my first bit of London-based tourism. My local (Tooting Common) is just too convenient as it's 5 minutes up the road, but it has become extremely crowded now so I am starting to venture out. I also wanted a fully paved parkrun to test my new Zoom Flys on.

Fulham didn't disappoint. It's a long thin park along the river, so the views are nice, and while it's also a busy parkrun, it's not nearly as congested as Tooting. I was much quicker into my stride and the shoes propelled me along as though I was running on springs.

Although my 5K PB is a shade under 26 minutes, it has been over a year since I managed that and my recent times have been more in the 28-29 minute zone. I went under 28 last week so I was hoping the faster course and fancy shoes could help me go even quicker, but I was very surprised to finish in 26:29. Age group 1st too! Most important thing was that I felt really strong and was able to push the whole way.

Really looking forward to the Big Half now!
  • Great Parkrun result, Cal! All coming together for you now. Shoes sound nice too :)

I tried a new Parkrun this morn too. It's the Colney Parkrun on the UEA sportsground, where, in my goalkeeping youth, I was compared to a kangaroo by the Watford youth coach (halcyon days!) The course is proper cross country, with a nice muddy trail along the river, then a big-for-Norfolk hill up through the woods for 200m. Two laps, so the 2nd climb is a bugger! I'm still feeling fatigued from last week so didn't push it and finished in 26:57, which I was content with. Avian highlights were: Green Woodpecker + Nuthatch (heard only), Redwings in flight and a nice wee Goldcrest which flashed across my path in the wooded section.

2.5 miles easy jog to and from Colney each way was a bit further than I had expected but am feeling a bit looser overall now I'm back home waiting for the rugby.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Great parkrun Cal & Will.

I managed to get out for parkrun. I felt so much better today! Although I planned to take it slower and stick to 8:30 pace. Me being me ran 7:25 for the first mile. I gave myself a talking to and slowed down. I finished in 24:34, which I was amazed with al things considered.

i'm not going to do my long run tomorrow, I'm going to take an extra rest day and do it on Monday
  • Can relate to that - no motivation to get up and go, until you mentally push yourself to just get out there and the euphoria that hits you after completing a run! 

The longer, the better. Longest distance I’ve managed has been 12 miles along the west coast of Scotland. Just short of a half marathon. Average pace (back when I was running consistently, 5 miles, 4-5 times a week), was around 7min/mile. 
  • Found out this week that I have a half in 3 weeks time. A local event that my wife entered a Facebook compo for to win me a place, and I did. Being only 4 months into my running life wasn’t planning on doing a half until next year. Should be OK though as I had already covered the distance in my last long run 2 weeks ago.

Did another long run today as wanted to get it in early before the really cold weather hits. First time doing a long run where I haven’t had a rest day the day before. Don’t know if that was a factor, or just the cold wind, but was more of a struggle than I had hoped. Clocked 15 miles though at 9 minute miles so should stand me in good stead. I am sure it will stand as my longest run for rest of the year as mostly want to focus on improving my 5k time.

Looks like we might have some snow this next week, even if not so the sub zero temperatures may limit time on my feet. Will try to do a short recovery run tomorrow but picked up a niggle following my run so may have to just rest.
  • That's a good result, Andrea - glad you are on the mend.
    juskel - welcome. That's pretty fast (at least compared to me - the only time I've gone under 8 was for a single mile as part of a relay race!)
    50000 tears - you'll be fine! If it's your first half then it's a guaranteed PB regardless, so just go and enjoy it.

Cold down here today. I had a poor night's sleep but managed to get out for 18 (my longest run this year). Honestly, my nose ran as much as my legs. Ugh! That brings my total to 42 for the week which is my highest mileage this year too. Thank goodness I have a massage booked for tomorrow!
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Very fine parkrunning happening.
    Yesterday 15.15miles in 1hr56. Windy, cold and a bit tired. Wash of fatigue early on but it passed. Many people around. Heckled by some podgy kids on bikes. Big oversized doughy heads with piggy eyes and pinched mouths. As charming as they were handsome.
    Today surprisingly quick. Bit over 8.6miles in an hour. Cold and breezy but dry so back into more minimal shoes. Went out quick for some reason and stayed pretty consistent and comfortable with a sub 6:45mile thrown in. Not sure where that came from.
  • Well done Cal. It was arctic out this morning. And speedy running JT!
    I was pleased with Roding Valley Half this morning. I came in at 1.53, about ten seconds slower than my PB. Gotta be happy with that. I still long for a sub 1.50 but that's still a solid time and hopefully I'm on target for a PB at London.  Possibly a sub 4 is looking somewhat out of reach though...
    It's a super hilly half and it was freezing, but I like the race. It's on my doorstep and well supported by locals and friends from my running club.  I felt pretty strong throughout and felt I did my best.

• That's a good time for a hilly half, Nessie - I wouldn't rule out a sub-4 just yet. You still have some weeks left to peak. :)
  • Super Half running, Nessie. Be happy with that :) I'm half wanting it to snow lots here - my little girl has never made a snowman and she's nearly four - and half hoping it doesn't so I can get out for a mid-range run. At the moment, I would call it flurries.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Nice and busy on here at the moment.

Great HM result Nessie - just short of your PB on a not so easy course.  Looking good for London I would say.  

Excellent parkrun Cal, well done on the age cat win.   And also for getting out for the 18 miler.  

Nice parkruns from Will and Andrea too. 

Welcome to justkel.  West coast of Scotland sounds lovely.  

Nice long run 50000tears - take it easy with the niggle.

Swift running JT.

My Last run:  11.6 miles on Saturday - was supposed to have been doing 14 but due to -3 and strong winds I didn't fancy being out for 2 hours or more.  I'd also got lost and done a couple of extra miles on the run before so I felt ok with shortening it a bit.  Pacing was all over the place due to the wind and the undulations - slightly downhill with a tailwind I was trotting along quite happily at almost marathon pace (8 m/m) at almost no effort but slowed to more than 10 m/m up an incline against the wind.  Overall pace was however what I was aiming for at around marathon pace + 10 %.

Enjoyed it despite the cold.  Bird watching:  5 storks, 2 egrets, several herons, some mallard ducks and a couple of kites (red ones I think).

Dropped yesterday's planned 7 miler for a hill walk with OH.  Will be a bit difficult to get in the planned runs in the next few days with maximum temperatures of around -6 and strong winds.  It should be getting better by the weekend though.  Will have to be a bit flexible I guess.
  • Hi everyone, 

I'm new to forums so I hope I haven't commented on a completed unrelated topic. Basically I need advice....i ran my first half marathon at the weekend, it was pretty vile near the end but overall it was really enjoyable. I achieved  a time of 1hr 41, the question is whether or not that was a good time. I'm a 27yr old male. I did about 2 months of training but it was pretty limited as I play a lot of football so I did one run a week slowly increasing the distance. The second question is what time can I realistically aim for next time with better training?
  • That's a good time for a first half, Daniel - if you trained seriously you could get below 1 hr 30. Maybe not next time but certainly in the future.
  • Hi Daniel - oh to be 27 and that fast on one run a week :) I'm a relative beginner and the others on here know a lot more, but I reckon 3-4 runs a week with some speed work and hills thrown in and you could do some really good times. I'm not surprised 1hr 41 felt a bit vile!

Excellent bird spots, Hazel. Black Kites are quite rare and mainly just grey/black so probs Red ones, especially if the were nicely coloured. I found a headless Woodpigeon on my run today, a sure sign of Stoat activity. They jus catch them and bite their heads off. Brutal little things. 

I got out in a bid to beat the Siberian blizzards - and just about did. I decided on 4 sections of 20 mins on my Tom Tom and just ran the roads willy nilly. Legs still felt tired for first 20, but loosened up for second. Third section was slower but I finally flt 'recovered' by the last 20. It's taken a week. So, by the time I found my house again, the snow had really started giving it the big 'Un and I'd done a leisurely 8.3 miles in 83 minutes. Now for a crumpet or three.

I run, therefore I am.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Had the neighbour's cat sitting on me for some time which imbued me with a feeling of can't be arsedness. Funny that cats consider falling asleep on another animal perfectly fine. He doesn't like it when I move. But then I wouldn't be impressed either if my bed unexpectedly wandered off to the kitchen. Anyway, I digress. Overcame cat languor for 11.1miles offroad in under 1hr24. The wind was cold but not so bad. A bit of snow and tiny hail fell. Had a staffie running at my thigh for a while. Saw pigeons and, erm, other birds. There were trees.
    Great HMs Ness and Daniel. DB that is a strong time first go. As has been said regular running will help endurance and maintaining pace so should naturally take you under 1hr40. Clearly there's good base fitness already. A testing but realistic goal would be sub 1hr35 by the end of the year. Sub 1hr30 is hard but if you've the aptitude and long term commitment it's doable.
    I've just had a bacon sandwich.
  • Cats will fall asleep on anything, JT. I think they view us as large, ambulatory objects. The fact they rub the tops of their heads on us certainly indicates that that is the case.

I did not want to go out today, but eventually forced myself to and just did the minimum 4 miles. Calves were grumbly. Still a bit battered from the 18 I did on Sunday, no doubt. Didn't spot any interesting birds or animals - no doubt they were huddled up being more sensible than I was. Saw another runner with big furry earmuffs, though.
  • Good summary of standard cat behaviour there Cal and JT.  

Welcome to the forum Daniel.  1:41 on one run a week (plus football) isn't a shabby time.  Cal, JT and Will's tips sound good to me.  There are lots of plans about on the internet you could have a look at for ideas as well to put something together which will fit around the rest of your life.      

For me it was a bit of an eventful start to today's run as when I went out of the door I found my downstairs neighbour lying on the ground in a bit of a state.  Had to get an ambulance out and it was a good job I did as it was probably a stroke. :/

Then did go out for 10km and had enough time to reflect on brushing up my first aid skills.  Bloody cold out at between -5 and -8 depending on the amount of sun with a strong breeze so I kept to a gentle recovery pace as the lungs were struggling a bit to cope.  The very lightweight shell layer (jacket / trousers) I got for my alpine marathon last year and didn't need (fortunately) has been very useful in the past few days.
  • thanks for the wishes MLRers and some excellent chilly running going on.  But hasn't it been cold!!?? Brrr
    I still did my early 5 miles this morning but a little later at 6.20 as the sun was coming up, so I could spot any ice.  I didn't make it a "proper" speed session, due to the conditions, but the middle part was a fast-ish 5k, considering the -3. It was bright and still and freezing, and strangely lovely.  I found a fleecy snood, beanie, thermal gloves and a wind jacket kept me warm enough.
  • I'm staying in. My post tib is sore so it seems prudent to rest it for a bit (I'm not fond of snow either). The hay is in the barn as far as The Big Half is concerned so I'm not too worried.
  • Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Won't be running today. 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Well done for getting out Nessie.  

Fresh snow is nice Cal - until it turns into slush or hard ice.  But if you have a niggle probably the best idea to rest it.

If that is your car Will - perfect opportunity for some cross training - get shovelling!

No snow here (yet - maybe tomorrow) and getting a bit warmer with less wind.  11 miles this lunchtime with 6x100m strides.  Got stuck at the level crossing for a couple of minutes and took the opportunity to down a gel as my stomach was protesting about the lack of lunch.  Tropical fruit is a bit hmm - artificial?  Bird of the day:  a woodpecker - one of those black white and red ones but I haven't a clue if great or lesser spotted... 
  • There is plenty of snow in London today- and very excitingly, we got let out of work early! I was all geared up for a run, then my daughter's school texted to say they were also closing :-/  
    Anyway, two snowmen, lots of snowfights and 3 pairs of gloves later, once the 17 year old returned to watch his sister, I got out and did my scheduled 9 miles in the snow. It was absolutely lovely- fresh, crunchy new snow with loads coming down as I ran.  Taking it easy and slowly.  the only downside was that I had to stick to roads as my navigational skills in the forest are rubbish and the snow was coming very heavily, so I was worried about getting lost. 
    I am keeping everything crossed for another snow day tomorrow, although I have 18 miles scheduled for Friday, so I'm also wondering how I'll manage that if it's icy by then  :#
  • Blustery and very cold in Norwich today. Everything is white and the CoOp are out of milk and pizzas! Norwich Parkrun has already been cancelled and my Thames Path Half on Sunday is in proper doubt due to: a) it possibly being cancelled b) us not being able to travel there. We'll see, but it's looking more off than on.

I did cheer Mrs Will up, with this St David's Day snowman. She is in bed with flu.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    4.1mile incline run on the gym treadmill Tuesday. Outside this morning for 13.15miles. Offroad, but the snow cover meant street and trail was much the same. Notable exception was gathered snow in a descent through a field. Shin deep and straight into a hard wind. It all got a bit Rocky IV. The wind at times was brutal. Had to really lean into it and would almost stand me still. Pristine and beautiful with snow devils whipped up on the open Ings. Passed a hare sheltering in the bushes. My Speedcross shoes did their grippy magic. Someone else was out in a pair as I recognised the tread pattern in the snow. Slow, hard, and tiring.
  • Sounds like you had some fun with your family there Nessie.

Nice snowman Will.  I hope the uncertainty with regards to your HM is resolved soon.  

Bloody long way that in the snow JT.  

I did probably my slowest 5 miles on the flat for a long time - took me 57 minutes - oops.  Some of it was on more or less cleared minor roads, some on tracks where a car or tractor had conviently gone along compacting the snow and some of it in 5-6 inches of powder snow with virtually no grip.   That stuff doesn't compress down under your feet and just slides away.  Hard work but was worth getting out for it.  I'm supposed to be doing 12 miles with 7 at HM pace tomorrow.  Hmm, that is going to be fun considering that the forecast is predicting rain at some point.  We will see.  Will do the miles somehow. 
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Great snow running Hazel and JT.  Well I am super proud of myself, and even I think what I did today was just a little mental.
    I went out for my 18 miles in the most extreme conditions. I planned a route that was as much towpath as possible, as I figured they are a) flat and b) likely to be in good condition!?  Actually, it was brutally hard from the first mile. The roads I found it easier to go on the road rather than the pavements, which were mainly icy with tightly compacted snow.  The towpath was compacted snow / ice with very very little respite, and a few bits of "proper" snow. My route took me up to the Olympic park then Victoria park in Hackney, which was stunningly beautiful and still quite thick with snow. This made it less treacherous in the sense I was less worried about falling over, but running through thick snow is super hard on the legs! In addition to having to watch every step of the way, there was a fierce arctic wind blowing the whole way, and it always whips up by the River Lea towpath, but was particularly bad today. My face is still very sore.
    What a run! But I am so pleased with myself that I did it and pushed through for the whole 3 hours
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done for the hardy snow runners. I've stayed in and sat on my bum. Actually I did brave a short walk up to the common to see if the parkrun route was OK (it was not - it's cancelled). I must admit I was hoping it wouldn't go ahead as I was down to volunteer and didn't fancy standing around in the cold!