My Last Run

Comments

• 6 miles this afternoon, at 8.03 min/mi. Not a recovery run as missed my long run on Sunday as at a music festival all afternoon/evening. Saw Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Patti Smith and Kylie turned up (she tiny). Ate 1 1/2 Bratwurst, a burger and had 3 pints of IPA so kept to a balanced diet. My 50th year celebrations continue a pace. 
  • Morning MLRers! Good running going on by all as we break into the sweaty season.

My little break away to London and Bristol included lots of ice cream, a cheeky Nandos and some bum-sliding down the rock faces overlooking the Clifton suspension bridge...but no running. So, I've written a new plan for the next 4 weeks (if it's written down I will do it) to get back some consistency at around 25 miles a week + some cross training. I started off last night with a bit over 4 miles at HM pace. Feeling stiff this morning and hanging around waiting to start my new job...imminently, according to HR. 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    A written plan can help with the consistency Will - it is nice to tick off the boxes as you go along.  4 miles at HM pace is quite a start.  Hope you get clarity on your new job soon - then you can enjoy any spare time you have left beforehand.

Good sorting of priorities on Sunday Stephen.  Sometimes you have to miss a run.

3 and a bit miles for me yesterday at recovery pace between two thunderstorms.  It was still raining but it was warm enough that it was quite refreshing rather than annoying.  Legs felt fine - if anything better post race than pre race. 
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Hello. Who are these people from your earlier post Hazel? Have you been seeing other threads?
    Have been taking my sister and husband out running while they stayed last week. They're doing 3 to 4 miles and no walking anymore. Enjoyed it and found I can pace at 12m/m. Managed to get in 50miles last week. God knows how with an endless stream of family and the mental whiplash of having to occupy a 9-year-old, early-20s and mid-70s. All of whom talk their own variety of bollocks.
    10.7 offroad miles Sunday. Only bit on pavement terrified two very drunk women when I ran past from behind. One shouted, "I've shat myself". Very drunk. It was just a matter of time.
    9.1miles tonight in over 1hr05. Turned out quick after the first couple of miles. Muscles aching after strength training session yesterday after two week gym rest due to a back strain. Saw a kestrel hovering, a proper running race going on at the Knavesmire, and had my own mile race with a kid on his scooter. Sprinted it out last little bit and won. Yay. I'm 43...
  • Ran for an hour this evening. Bumped into either a cat or a fox in the dark.
    I should be asleep. Night
  • Happened on Sunday. Was fighting between choices of going back sleep or fostering the discipline. Was about to lose the battle.
    But, suddenly in the middle of the nowhere, I found my computer vividly looking at me and requesting to grasp the keyboard. You know what builds the discipline and makes you want to run? Programming.
    Absolutely, I'm the developer of smart contract, and computer saves me from these blurred mornings.
    So I programmed Solidity for free on Bitdegree.org for 4 hours learned some code and advanced functions, and during that time stored the inner power to go for jogging.
    The run was fantastic, I went for 6 miles in 50 mins!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hey everyone! I think Hazel meant to post that in a different thread, JT (P&D?) but you probably figured that out.
    These spammers are getting craftier aren't they?
    I had a nice visit up north - went to Blackpool, rode the new coaster (good, but I've still not forgiven them for ripping out the Wild Mouse). Ate fish and chips which I probably shouldn't have given I have gluten issues and batter is made with flour. I had a few more trips to the bathroom the next day, but at least I didn't emulate JT's drunk lady friend.
    Managed 8 miles this morning. Lots of niggly bits at the moment, despite all the work I've been doing on glutes and core.
    I've solved the mystery of the abandonned bikes, though - apparently you join some scheme using an app and then use the app to find  and unlock your nearest bike, and you can leave it anywhere. So it's like a Boris Bike but without having to return it to a bike stand.
    Ah that is where that post went to, I was sure I'd pressed the button but it seemed to have vanished!  Got my threads in a tangle it seems.  Yes it was intended for the P&D thread.. 

Good to hear you survived the family visit JT.

Those bike schemes are getting everywhere it seems Cal.  I saw one in the middle of a (shallow) river in Zurich last time I was there - guess there won't be too many takers for that one.

6 miles for me yesterday evening with the group.  Very humid (almost daily thunderstorms here at the moment) so lots of splashing around in the fountains at the regroup points.
  • Excellent drunken behaviour report, JT. Reminded me of my Uni days. Nice Kestrel spot too. 
    I thought I hadn't seen Sam Mitchell on 'Enders for a while - she's obvs been out running. Welcome.
    Consistency as ever from Cal and Hazelnut. Glad it's all functioning well and the coaster didn't fall off the tracks.
    My plan is still in action. A 5 mile shuffle last night - a bit too soon after a bit too much dinner, but miles logged and a smile from Waynetta in a rather stretched crop top. This morning I popped into the cemetery for 30 mins with 6 sets of 20 sec sprint-bursts. Boy, was I moving! Lovely Ox-Eye Daisies in bloom en masse. Blackcaps, Goldcrests and GS Pecked in song. Planning a long 'Un tomorrow as still in work limbo and can't be arsed to do any more supply work.
    I run, therefore I am.
    Nice outing that Will.  Have a good long run.

8 miles for me yesterday with 6km (errm around 3.75 miles) at around HM pace.  Tough work considering it was warm and humid.  Fortunately the sun stayed behind the clouds for the duration of the run.  Saw some dragonflies and there were interesting croaking sounds coming from the patch of wetland I ran past.  Rest day today and a night HM tomorrow.  Must dust off the headtorch. 
  • A night HM sounds like lots of fun. Hope you have a good one, Hazelnut. 

Found out my new job starts on Monday so I made the most of a last day of leisure (childcare tomorrow - defo not leisure) and got my long run in this morning  I started out at 8:30am but it was already very warm.

What I thought was a rat turned out to be a baby squirrel without yet a bushy tail, which scurried up a tree as I started off in the cemetery. Up out towards the hospital I spotted a Cockchafer (deceased). Thankfully that was the first and last cock-chafing. Legs were a bit heavy as I am now on a 4 day streak, but my boost juice in my camelbak sorted me out. Also, a burning pain in my groin (more Uni memories) subsided once I got a couple of miles in. I think that was residue from yesterday's sprints. The wild flowers are looking superb this year. Red and White Campion, deep purple Thistles and more lovely Ox-Eye Daisies brightened the route beautifully. Miles 4 and 7 were, as usual, testing and it all turned into a progressively slower run. A couple of laps of the UEA lake was a very nice finish - juvenile Great Crested Grebes learning to fish.

So, 9.5 miles in 1:34. No prizes for speed but overall fitness is getting there again. Happy running all!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That sounds like a beautiful run, Will. Good luck with the new job.
    I've never run at night, Hazelnut...I'm an early bird so I'm usually wasted by evening time. Having said that, I've just signed up for an evening 10K in July, which is very local to me.

Speaking of 10Ks, my first (and birthday race) is a week and a half away so I did a 7 miler with 3 x mile intervals (alternating - so one mile slow, one fast etc). Cadence got up to 190 on the faster miles, which is pretty ridiculous.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Good run Will and good luck with the night run Hazel. Fast feet Cal.
    13miles in 1hr40:30. Off and on road and pace was up and down negotiating some niggly little paths. Garmin seems to have straightlined very winding bits which doesn't help. Bunch of trainspotters with expensive cameras on a bridge over the tracks. Must have been something rare expected. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well I have to make up for the fact that my stride is so short, JT :D
    Wonder what the trainspotters were waiting for?
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Five miles recovery run today. I wasn't going to run at all, but the weather was nice and I ended up really enjoying it. Had a short walk to cool down after and had a chat with another runner who was taking photos of the Egyptian goslings (I've been keeping an eye on them as the mortality rate for waterfowl young is very high in that pond, thanks to some very aggressive swans, foxes and god knows what else. There were 7 goslings to start with, but they were down to two very quickly...however those two have survived a few weeks now so fingers crossed). Also saw a big cuddly Newfoundland puppy that I'd also petted outside Sainsbury's a week or so ago, so I went and said hello. Gosh those pups are so soft.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I don't think I've seen an Egyptian goose. Plenty of Canadian ones.
    Saw a kestrel again today. Looked like it had some tether around its leg so maybe a breakout from a falconry centre. Or maybe it was holding a stringy mouse. Not the run I planned today. Meant to be long, but after a quick first mile (by my standards) sped up and stayed there. So 8.3miles in just over 57mins - 6:55 average. Felt surprisingly energised the rest of the day. Can sometimes happen with a quicker run it kicks your body out of its normal fug.
    Think the accidental fast run was borne out of on Strava flybys my path twice crossing recently with a club runner with 17min 5ks and eye watering HM times. Insecurity is the only thing that keeps me alive.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Interesting (if slightly old) article here, JT: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/may/25/specieswatch-egyptian-goose-breeding-population

I appear to have entered another marathon. Not content with Chester in the Autumn, I'm also in for Valencia. I discovered quite a lot of peeps from my club are doing it so I thought, what the hell. So I've gone from one marathon in 2016 to 2 in 2017 to 4 this year. Does that mean I'll be doing 8 next year? :lol:
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    There is spam everywhere on this site today. It's getting ridiculous.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Are there no moderators any more? I'd be happy to volunteer but I think they've stopped caring. :(

Anyway, a spot of tourism at Southwark parkrun (somewhere I've not been since school sports day back in the 1980s when I was picked for the 400m and barely managed to finish, which prompted me to start running). And I scored a new fastest parkrun time of 25:11. Perhaps I can get under 25 this year!
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Well done Cal!
    I've not been around this week, it's been another tricky one.
    But running / swimming keeping me together (ish). Highlights include a track speed session *on my own*!! on Tuesday.  And today's Forest 5 (miles) race with my club, which is one of my all time favourites. Pretty pleased with my time of 42 minutes (it's a fairly hilly, XC route)
    I hope all MLRers are well, I'll catch up now on everyone's news

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's a good time, Nessie! Well done!
    Spammers are really annoying.  I flag most of them but it seems to make no difference. 

That's a great parkrun time Cal. 

And a good 5 miles race by Nessie too. 

Night HM for me yesterday:  my second fastest HM in 1:39:50 - very pleased to go sub 1:40 again.  9th lady out of 177 and 3rd in my age group out of 21.  Coped with the time of day very well - race didn't start until 22:30, my head spent most of the race saying - isn't it time to go to bed yet? - but the legs and lungs were very willing.  Decent conditions - warm with a couple of rain showers.  At least no worries about the sun at that time of day. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Wow, that's incredible, Hazelnut - I'd have struggled. That is bedtime for me.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    10 miles today, about half of which was around Streatham Common. I've not been there for a long while and I'd forgotten just how tortuous the hills were. I feel pretty shattered now!
  • Some fine running there Nessie, Cal and Hazelnut. Ace times all round. I've found a similar night HM near me at end of August. Am very tempted after your inspiring run, Hazelnut. Great Parkrun and 5 miler, Cal and Nessie.

I wanted to do the NHS Parkrun yesterday,  but my boy, Aneurin (named after Aneurin Bevan), had his first proper footy match. His under-6s versus the under-7s was an absolute cracker of a game, worth missing Parkrun for. 

So, I was up and out at 6am today for some early Intervals. I did 4+ miles with 4 sets of 1:30 min efforts with 2:30min recoveries. Tough, but it set me up for the day and Junior Parkrun with Aneurin - his 31st and 2nd best time :) Oh and I saw 6 Nightjars last night, at close quarters up on a deserted heath in North Norfolk. Very cool.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Great late night and early morning running.
    16.2miles in 2hrs07. Warm sunny day. Took in a new path I'd never been on before. Saw a Canada goose dead on the road. It's innards were outards. Middle aged man with his top off entirely tattooed front and back. High fived by another runner near the university.
    Nice intervals at an early time Will.

And good longer runs by Cal and JT.

I met this guy this morning on a 3 mile beach run...

In the UK for almost 2 weeks, spent 1.5 days in Liverpool, now in Wales.  Will hopefully get in a bit of running alongside of some cross training and some touristy stuff.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Did you spot swittle, Hazelnut? (I hope he's OK!)
    Nice long run, JT. Unfortunate for the goose, though.

Rest day and massage yesterday, so I felt rejuvenated enough to run 12 miles at a steady pace today. A few niggles including my achilles, but nothing that will slow me down.
  • Nice long one, JT. Shame about the goose.

Hope you're enjoying Cymru, Hazlenut.

Nice 12er, Cal - unstoppable! 

I was supposed to be in Walsall for my induction this week, but got rerouted to Stevenage and a Premier Inn in the heart of an industrial estate. As nice as the room and free grub is, it's deathly quiet and dull compared to the normal chaos chez moi. So, I popped out for a run yesterday and managed to stumble upon a delightful little trail past fields and into a pretty little Beech wood, just minutes away from the hotel. I've done the same 5 km route twice at about 9min/mi and so am keeping the miles ticking over. Not much else to do except read, sleep and watch Neighbours and Home and Away.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    A change is as good as a rest, Will. :)
    4 mile recovery run this morning. Achilles grumpy, which is not too grand as I'm doing a relay this evening (last minute thing...someone dropped out).
    Rather warm but pleasant out. Saw a pancake-flat squirrel on the road.