Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    Sounds good, easy to neglect the whole package and just run. Often in to injuries All them hip based movements will do your stride length good. I'm currently 4kg heavier than when I was running middle distance and noted my gait has changed as a result.
    I'm in York. The marathon here falls on the same day as Chester (I think, don't quote me), but the route is a little dull. Missing hills here too, I typically head out to the trails to get any elevation.
  • Options
    Cal, more money? If only. Job change time again soon. Something with school hols, I think. So...back to school then.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Options
    PompeyMattPompeyMatt ✭✭✭
    Thanks Cal, it's good to be back!

Latest run was yesterday a very sluggish 5 miles, a;; my runs since the injury have been along the sea front at least in part and over the last week I've ditched my running watch and just note my start time and finish time otherwise I'm far too tempted to run faster than I need or really ought to seeing as I'm still injured but it's to a much lesser degree than before. I'm not bothered about my pace at the moment and I'm more concerned with simply getting some miles in my legs.
  • Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Hello PMatt. Good news you're able to get out and run and are continuing to repair.
    Jobs are rubbish Will. Would be nice if the more crap and dispiriting the work the more money you got to do it. Sadly it's almost entirely the opposite.
    Warm weather hellos to Hazel and Cal.
    EndFlow, I'm in York as well. Fair chance we've run past each some time or other. I would have waved. I always wave. On balance I'm grateful for the lack of hills. The only higher points are the university to the east or Bilbrough Top out west, but even they're gradual.
    8.1miles today in an hour. Started going quicker than expected. Still carrying the hangover of this virus but my running seems fine even though I'm washed out and still blowing pints of something like PVA glue out my nose. In some respects though the break might have done me a favour. Not feeling the heat which is a surprise given how much coverage it's getting. Maybe it's just cooler here. Anyway, Water End to Clifton Bridge. Followed the river to Museum Gardens, then past the Minster, past the Merchant Taylors and along to Walmgate Bar. Through St George's Field car park back to the river. Up to Millennium Bridge and back down the otherside and eventually to Mickelgate. Out through Mickelgate Bar to the iron bridge, past Holgate Windmill and to Acomb shops. Accepting that none of that means anything to anyone other than EnduranceFlow.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Very sensible, Matt.
    I envy you northerners - York is 6 degrees cooler today than down here in London, where it's set to hit 31. Forecast for 33 tomorrow. Since my flat faces more or less south west, I get the late afternoon and evening sun which means it gets increasinly hot throughout the day and then holds the heat throughout the night. If I'm lucky, it'll drop a couple of degrees during the morning, once the sun is up. Then it gets warmer again. So no, I can't bloody sleep properly. :tired_face:
    Anyway, did 7 miles - 6 easy and one that was a mixture of strides and recovery jogs. Got chased by a cat early on in the run. Heard a rustling on the common then saw a ginger and white missile coming for me. No idea what he was thinking - I'm a bit too big for breakfast.
    Also saw the woodpecker again, which made me happy.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Good to read your are feeling better JT.  Maybe you have run past EnduranceFlow many times in the past.  The Minster does say something to me as I've visited it.  And I think Holgate windmill has featured in some Kate Bush repeats?

Sounds like a good plan Matt.

Bad luck on your lack of summer holidays Will.

Strange you were being chased by a cat Cal.  Was anything chasing it by any chance?

Just short of 13 miles for me yesterday evening.  5.5 on my own and the rest with my Tuesday group.  We took a different route for once involving a lot more shade than our standard route which was a good thing as it was around 30 degrees when I set off though it did cool down a bit later on.  I had dropped a number of bottles in the village fountain so we had a very welcome cool beer afterwards (with / without / with a bit of alcohol according to preference).   
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I'd just turned on to the common when I heard a rustling and a ginger and white furry missile came zooming towards me. Then he ran off. Possibly he decided that maybe I was a bit too big to make a decent breakfast. :D
  • Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    And I think Holgate windmill has featured in some Kate Bush repeats?
    Kate Bush reps :smile: I started listening to album Hounds of Love over and over again recently, but I have to skip a couple of tracks which effect me like scraping polystyrene together.

8.4miles today in bit over 1hr03. Felt a bit rough again today but went okay. Pace is fine but beyond 7miles I do feel tired. Warm out. There's a village pub with a board sign outside saying "home cooked food", except now they've taped over the "home cooked" bit. Black tape redaction and then in stark letters "FOOD". If this where a dystopian novel I'd be looking back from a collapsed social future on that innocuous but incongruous sign and thinking, "that's when it started." Or maybe it was when the cats turned on us.
  • Options
    JT141- I tend to head out to Millenium Bridge way via the racecourse, so may well have seen you out and about
    Hazel- getting the miles in, good work. Could do with getting involved with a local group myself, especially as I quite fancy a bit of cross country next winter (always seems more appealing when it's been this hot)

A steady 50mins up over Heslington east for me yesterday, away from the cars and people. Conditions were ideal, warm but the humidity has dropped. Only animal sightings were a few geese, no cats on campus, and I'd most certainly be too big for breakfast!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Out at 5 past 5 because I had another crappy sleep due to the heat. Did 12 miles, although my Achilles was very vocal today (it may not have appreciated yesterday's strides. Or perhaps it's as fed up of the weather as I am). I considered cutting the run short but every time I thought about it, the Achilles shut up for a bit. It's like an old sick pet who knows it's going to be put down but seems to perk up every time you think about taking it to the vet.
    Saw a different ginger and white cat today (this one was fluffy) but seemed more interested in stalking something more manageable than me. Also saw a fox. Not terribly unusual - there are a lot of them around here so I see them often if I go out early.
    Annoyingly, Garmin seems to be having issues so I've not managed to upload my run yet. Ho hum.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    I have a ginger and white furry missile at home Cal - just have to rattle the biscuits at the appropriate time of day.. Nice early 12 miler but be careful with the Achilles.  

I do like your posts JT.   :)

EF I can recommend finding a club or as in my case an informal group to run with.  I do most of my more serious training alone but it is nice to have a chat on an easier run and often company at races.  These guys (mostly) have been running for years and have done some pretty good racing in the past, it was joining them that made me up my training a few years ago.   

9 miles with 6km at 10 mile race pace (around 7:2x/mile or more accurately for me as I work in kms 4:39/km) this morning.  Tough work after a bad night's sleep (the moon was calling...) and at that pace anyway regardless of whether it is warm or not (it was...).  Pleased that I managed to hang on to the effort until the end.  Needed a short walking break afterwards though before I could do a bit of cool down jogging.   I did notice a big flock of the local storks but was mostly preoccupied with left-right, left-right. 
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    5.7 miles recovery this morning in 54:49 taking in the local fields and woods - I wasn't paying attention and took a wrong turning adding 0.7 to the intended 5.  It didn't matter.   We now have a ban on lighting fires near to and in woods due to the ever increasing danger of forest fires.  It does look very dry now everywhere.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Everything looks brown here too. No run today but I made myself go and swim in the lido. I don't really like swimming but I knew I'd be hot and bored if I stayed in all morning.
  • Options
    Getting some miles in there Hazelnut

Steady half hour yesterday, with 6 sets of strides. Horribly humid, really not pleasant
    This morning, a rain soaked 70mins, bang on 10miles, pacing not as consistent as I'd like ,but average pace came in at 7:00 m/mi

Rest day today tomorrow, its been nearly two weeks, so just my prehab exercises
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Stormed it up good last night so it was much fresher today, though sleep was still rubbish as I was woken by noisy neighbours again.
    I went to parkrun anyway, and opted for Peckham Rye this time. I've not done the parkrun there before but I grew up in the area and used to go there with my dad, whose birthday it would have been tomorrow. It's a lovely park (although Peckham itself is still grotty) and much less busy than my local. I'd strapped the old achilles up well and was wearing my Zoom Flys so I pushed on and ended up with a new PB of 25:07 (also 1st age group and 10th lady!)
    Screwed up the trains on the way home by getting off at Streatham instead of Streatham Common, where I was supposed to change, so ran a mile and a bit home from Streatham as well as it was quicker than waiting for the next train.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Enjoy your rest day EF. 

Well done on your parkun PB Cal that is a great result.  Bloody neighbours.

18 miles long run for me yesterday.  It was much cooler with some rain initially but then pretty humid.   I set off from home with a route in mind but spontanteously changed it.  Was rewarded with a signpost someone had changed to point in the wrong direction - noticed that pretty quickly fortunately - and one short sharp hill reducing me to a shuffle.  Otherwise a solid run.  Straight into the lake for the feet and legs afterwards.   I guess will be saying goodbye to the second nail on my right foot soon - it is now an interesting shade of red-blue.
  • Options
    Morning all MLRers! Some good mileage going on and excellent PB there for you Cal. 

I had a strange week with little running. Felt very lethargic and unmotivated, with no urge to get up early to run. The heat played its part.

I'm now away in London for the annual hotel stay by the Thames with the outlaws. Plenty of swimming and football with the kids and I've managed a couple of 5 mile river path runs. Yesterday was still hot and very windy, but this morning was lovely and cool in the rain. Got to get back on the miles this week before we head off to Montenegro on hols.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Enjoy your break, Will. Running along the river is lovely.
    I had to can the long run yesterday. After my parkrun on Saturday I did my hot pilates class and my right calf started twinging and I was quite worried about it. Compressed and iced it and it felt better but as my sleep has been rubbish all week, I thought it best to take a full rest yesterday since I have the mile relays this evening.
    I went out for a test this morning and did 4 miles (very sticky out there) - achilles is grumpy as usual but the calf is absolutely fine, so I think it was just a bit of a tantrum after asking it to do too much.
    Hazelnut - oh god, I've never lost a toenail and I don't want to. I'm not a squeamish person by the large, but nails are one thing that set me off.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    So I had better not post a pic then Cal? :D My size 8s aren't the most elegant thing on this planet anyway so I won't - don't worry.  Its the first time I've had that happen to me and I do check that I keep the nails short normally.  Good thing your calf is better, I hope it stays that way.  Good luck for the mile relays this evening.

Have a good holiday in Montenegro Will.  I wouldn't worry about a week with a bit of a downer runningwise.

5 recovery for me this morning.  Was a bit lethargic and unmotivated myself.  At least another whole week of 30+ degrees means I will be having to do all my training in the early mornings.      
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Hazelnut. I really enjoyed the relays (again!) and smashed my mile time, at least according to my Garmin, which made it 7:26 or thereabouts. Hard to tell exactly as it wasn't chip timed. My team was probably the slowest of the 17 my running club fielded but I still reckon we did it in under 22 minutes. I've been coughing since the race finished - I really pushed myself. (PS I take 7.5 in Nikes and 8s in some other brands, so I don't exactly have dainty plates either!)
  • Options
    Good work on the pb Cal, sounds like you had to work for it given the post run feeling. Can’t say I would enjoy a mile race!
    Hazelnut- my right foot is a mess, but left, as far as feet go, is pretty normal. Missing two nails on the right, and no, I won’t be uploading any photos either!

10 miles today, two easy, a relatively hard progressive 3 which I had to graft for, 5mile at what I suspect/plan will be my marathon pace to finish. Taught a spin class after which I think did the post run heavy legs some good. Early steady one tomorrow morning before physio, forecast 12c at 6am, so some contrast to last few weeks!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it was about 25 seconds quicker than last year, which is a lot for a mile. I'm in good form at the moment...if I only I didn't have this pissy achilles.
    It was a bit sore for my run this morning, not surprisingly. A steady six miler on the common, unremarkable in itself but I had to wait for heavy rain and thunder to pass before going out. I don't think we'll get any more rain for a while now.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Those relays must be great fun with such a good turn-out from your club Cal.  I wouldn't have a clue how to pace a mile - would probably set off like a complete idiot and then die half way.  You are running well at the moment. 

Nice 10 miler EF. 

Please could both of you send that weather my way.  We really need rain and I would very much appreciate 12c for a run. 

Saying that I am actually not coping that badly with the temps as long as I get out early enough.  Today was a just after 7am start for a 10 miler including a 5km warmup, 5 x 1km intervals with 3 min recoveries and the remainder as a cool down.  Intervall splits:  4:13, 4:18, 4:22 4:21, 4:21 so a decent consistancy though I did set off a bit quick with nr. 1.   My watch had an issue during the cool-down - fortunately then only - the track shows an interesting short cut or two which I didn't do for sure.  

Blasted past the same dogwalker 3 times but she had her two four-legged friends well under control.  The storks were out and about - I think the juveniles are now joining their parents out on the hunt.  Also saw a fox. 

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I saw a few people finishing quite slowly so I guess they did just that. I think I paced it pretty well as I was able to finish quite strongly. I got the time for my team - 21:05 which is excellent. We weren't the last Chaser team either - there were two behind us, which is a result for me as I tend to think of myself as the weak link.
    As far as the weather goes, we do adapt to it. Having said that, it's a bit cooler here at the moment, but it's going to get hot again, unfortunately.
  • Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Hello. 13.1miles in just under 1hr41. Bloke at a bus stop asked if I'd got a spare cigarette, which was a long shot.
  • Options
    Ha, I like that JT
    9miles, a few mins over an hour. Hotter than expected. Three laps of the uni, saw more geese than I did people. Blissful really...
  • Options
    Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Nice miles, JT and EF + good goosing. Wish I had some of both of your pace, but will have to accept I'm a chugger not a zoomer.

Hazelnut and Cal doing great things too. Commitment and style - I'd expect nothing less.

Well, I'm having a funny old time running wise. I've definitely been missing my mojo over the last couple of weeks. Good intentions have just not followed through. Alarms have been set and ignored and I was worried that I'd lost all motivation to run. I've been a bit tired and pissed off due to resenting my lack of school holidays and thoroughly disliking my job, so I suppose that has transposed into the urge to do naff all.

So, imagine my relief when I had the overwhelming urge to lace up tonight and get out there again. 6 miles easy, but most enjoyable and legs actually felt strong. There were ponies, sheep and cows, all of which I gave wide berths, and a young family of Jays amused me as I passed. They were very dysfunctional. Lovers of all kinds were out strolling hand in hand. The romantic vibe was only tarnished when I detoured into the rough end of an estate and was met by some serious stares from the smokers outside a pub named the Freed Man. They looked as though they had probably just been.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Glad you enjoyed yourself Will. Running is always ebb and flow. I'm not in my most enthusiastic phase either. 9.5miles tonight in about 1hr09. Decent pace but felt harder than it should until I settled into a rhythm. A spell next to a road they're topping so lots of dust and stone kicked up which wasn't fun. Cows and calves on the Ings path - not a great combination and best not to run in between the two. Got a stitch.

Hello to Ness, Andrea and Swittle if you're around. Hope things are playing out okay.
  • Options
    Day off yesterday as stuff was hurting and I felt tired, but I did have a trip to the physio who stuck his elbow into various places. It seemed to work quite well as I managed 13.1 miles this morning and achilles was merely a bit grumpy rather than angry as it has been recently.
    Took me half an hour longer than JT's run, and no one asked me for a cigarette.
  • Options
    Good call to our missing regulars JT - thanks.

Nice your mojo returned for a run Will - hope it stays put. 

Nice running EF and Cal.

I also had a day off yesterday, today: 12 miles in 01:49.  Out just after 7am which is good for me.  Had a nice chat with a cyclist at the level crossing trying to work out which train was holding us up.  Saw a field hare - not too many spots of those in recent months.