My Last Run

Comments

• Impressive mileage and times going on. I admire summer race runners. I've avoided anything competitive over the last few months as the heat does me in, so kudos to you heatwave runners and racers.

Running is great therapy, Nessie, so I hope it continues to help you. Tough times.

Montenegro is gorgeous to the eye and pretty easy on the wallet. Not so the waistline -  it's carb and meat heavy stuff and the ice cream count is through the roof. I've been surprisingly disciplined so far though and have been out for 3 early morning runs along the prom in Herceg Novi. Warm enough at 6am and getting too warm by 7am so early is the only option. Lots going on around the place even then, with people getting their towels down on the beaches way early. 4-5 miles each run has kept me ticking over and starts the day off beautifully. Dobre dosli.    

I run, therefore I am.
  • Will, I went to Yugoslavia (Croatia now...Dubrovnik) when I was 6. My parents made me learn how to ask for an ice cream in Serbo Croat or I couldn't have any. I can still remember it (though I can't spell it, so don't ask me to write it down!

• Early 8 miler. Was going to be longer but my achilles didn't want to do another run after two weekend races. It got progressively worse so I decided it would be foolish to press on. Tomorrow will be a rest day.
  • Sladoled is the key word, Cal. We flew into Dubrovnik then crossed over into MNE. After a few days in the bay of Kotor we've now moved down to the Adriatic Coast proper, past the monstrous resort of Budva to a relatively quiet spot called Petrovac. It's all local slavic holiday makers here, with no other Brits in sight. I made a 5km recce this morning along the harbour and then down past the OFK Petrovac stadium to an idyllic, deserted beach - a cove overlooking two islets. Imagine my delight when we all returned a few hours later to find literally an inch between towels and parasols. Swarms of stern, fag-smoking sun worshippers. The snorkeling was decent a bit of a way off the beach, but not my kind of place at all. Off the beaten track (we hope) tomorrow. Oh, and the run was fun. I saw a Wagtail of sorts.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal that was a good 5k following on from your 10k.  

Nice training half EF.  

Montenegro really does sound nice Will.  I can also recommend Slovenia, though it has little coastline if you are looking for a beach based holiday.  

12 miles for me yesterday evening.  Had another bad night's sleep with too much going on in my head regarding my work situation and didn't hydrate enough during the day, meaning I set off feeling crap.  It was the sort of feeling crap however that didn't get any worse as I went along and was good mental training to just keep plodding. Rest day today as I have a race tomorrow evening (10.5k flat)
  • That's a fast training half EF - nice work!

Joining you on the insomnia trail, Hazelnut,  even on holiday. Good mental perseverance there on your run.
    I was awake and had a racing mind (not running racing) from 4am this morning,  got up at first light and was out in the humid Adriatic morning by 5.45am. Popped a bit of pace into my prom/beach/prom 6km although it doesn't cool down much overnight here, so it wasn't really as fast as the effort felt. Spotted Grey and White Wagtails and a pair of Blackbirds. Some harpoon fisherman were heading out and a couple of other joggers gave me the cold Balkan shoulder.
    Pleased to have kept up some training while out here, but not sure what to make of MNE. The people come across generally as brusque although I think this is more a matter of language barrier/slavic vigour. The country is geographically beautiful but they are developing it big time into a kind of wall to wall Benidorm. There's a very conflicted recent history and nationalism seems a big thing. However, the salami and cheese are excellent.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • My sleep is shocking, too. Even now the weather's cooled down, I continue to wake up at random intervals throughout the night. F******* menopause!
    Did 10 miles today, though. Achilles less awful than on Monday. Nearly tripped over a pigeon that was very slow to move out of my way.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Envious pace from Flow and distance from Hazel. Hope you're continuing to enjoy your holiday Will.
    Amongst other things have done some running separately with my older sister and 16-year-old goddaughter over the last two weeks. Quite some contrast in styles. My goddaughter runs like a maniac arms flailing for a few minutes then stops and tries not to throw up, to the backdrop of my ignored shouts of "slow down!"
    16miles today in 2hrs. Longest run for a while and felt it. My running has been pretty inconsistent since the humidity increased. Sped up a bit a third in to keep ahead of families on bikes. A young man just in his boxers on a bridge over the river. Three horse riders cantering along a country road. My legs are tired.
    Good to hear from you Ness.
  • JT, I see a lot of that from the kids at parkrun. There are some very good junior runners, but the vast majority alternate between sprinting and slow walking, as if there are no speeds in between.

11 miles today. Didn't sleep so well so I felt pretty tired. Explored a few back streets but didn't see anything interesting.
  • Went out on the canal and did 5K, felt good actually felt like I could of gone a little longer but for a beginner no too bad.

Pretty straight run no real inclines.
  • Nice family running JT. 

My race went very well yesterday evening:  10.5k (so about 6.5 miles) in 45:57 for 4/44 in my age group and 10/147 overall ladies.  I went through 10k in a new inofficial PB of 43:58 by my watch.  First mile was congested and I also had a bad stumble though no fall fortunately and I also got stitch at around mile 2 but after that I had a great time picking my way through the field and was only overtaken a couple of times.  Legs could have gone faster but the lungs wouldn't.  Could work on my form at that speed as it felt quite ragged.  Pleased to finish in front of quite a few people who normally are faster than me.   I missed 3rd in my age category by 4 seconds (grrr) but I did get to stand next to the podium at least and prizes were generously given out down to around 8th in almost all categories (depending on the number of participants).  I am now the proud owner of a box of fruit and a voucher for a day at a local spa.  Nice meeting up with a few others from my running group and aquaintances from the club organising the race. 
  • Welcome to solidsneek by the way.
  • Welcome solidsneek!
    That's fantastic, Hazelnut! Nice that you got a prize - a spa day won't be cheap.
  • Thanks guys

Do many people run early of a morning I want to try going at 5.30AM but never done it so early lol. I usually go to the gym around 6.30 but not for a 4-5K run.
  • > @HazelnutCH said:
    > Nice family running JT. 
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > My race went very well yesterday evening:  10.5k (so about 6.5 miles) in 45:57 for 4/44 in my age group and 10/147 overall ladies.  I went through 10k in a new inofficial PB of 43:58 by my watch.  First mile was congested and I also had a bad stumble though no fall fortunately and I also got stitch at around mile 2 but after that I had a great time picking my way through the field and was only overtaken a couple of times.  Legs could have gone faster but the lungs wouldn't.  Could work on my form at that speed as it felt quite ragged.  Pleased to finish in front of quite a few people who normally are faster than me.   I missed 3rd in my age category by 4 seconds (grrr) but I did get to stand next to the podium at least and prizes were generously given out down to around 8th in almost all categories (depending on the number of participants).  I am now the proud owner of a box of fruit and a voucher for a day at a local spa.  Nice meeting up with a few others from my running group and aquaintances from the club organising the race. 

Well done! great run
  • I go out early in the summer, but I like to run when it's light so once it gets to winter I tend to run at 9am, once the rush hour has died down a bit.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Great racing Hazel. Stuff yourself with fruit.
    4mile incline run on the gym treadmill yesterday. Today to the university and back for 9.1miles in 1hr5. Last couple of miles the quickest which is always a positive sign. Cool to the point of chilly out.
  • Superb racing there, Hazelnut! Very quick indeed. Bathe in the glory.

Solid stuff JT. Not so chilly here. 27C by 6.30am when I ran this morning.

Hello, Solidsneek, and welcome. I am a convert to early morning runs. Sets you up for the day nicely and I seem to be quicker in the mornings. I go from 5am onwards.

Two ace days messing about in boats and kayaks on Lake Skadar, with lots of great birds, a water snake and a tortoise crossing the road. I got out for a 7km to beach to beach run early today, with 3 x 500m efforts thrown in. I got some good pace on them but they took it out of me. After the third I felt really sick for a good few minutes. Think it was the humidity and heat. Recovered okay and had some excellent local honey and bread afterwards. The inland parts are notably friendlier than the coast and the pretty damned gorgeous. 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Solidsneek: I am generally an afternoon/evening runner but during the recent heatwave ran mostly mornings.  Having worked out what I need to eat and drink prerun I could even cope with some speedwork.  My early isn't that early though - generally I was setting out at around 7am. 

Cool sounds nice JT.  I am working on the fruit - ably assisted by OH who likes the pears I don't.   

It is just a small spa Cal but local and I've been once before and liked it there.

Honey and bread is a good combination Will.  Well done on the 500m efforts.

Long run of 17 miles for me late afternoon in 2:35.  It was actually raining when I left - first time I've had that happen in weeks.  Got soaked but it wasn't cold so not a problem.  Didn't eat enough for such a run during the day and struggled with nausea / empty tank.  Legs a bit tired after Wednesday's efforts so kept the effort sensible. 
  • A mass Chasers visit to Gladstone parkrun today, for a mob match against Queens Park Harriers. Feeling tired and a bit run down so wasn't expecting a great time on this exceedingly hilly course, but I managed 26:17 which is very respectable.
  • An 8km easy run at 6am this morning. Stinkingly humid again and it took a couple of miles to loosen up my kayaking muscles, sore and stiff from yesterday. 

A yogi busting some moves on the beach, a sports team frog-hopping along the prom and many early morning smokers.

After huge nodding efforts on my part to try to extract a greeting from at least a dozen runners, unsuccessfully,  I finally got one from the last pass of the day. A solid nod and what I think was a 'Morgen'. Hooray.

Later, we're off to Nye's first live football match as OFK Petrovac aim to lift themselves out of the relegation zone.

Saw a Montenegrin Great Tit.   
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Kayaking's a great core workout, eh, Will?

Another 21 miler logged, which I did in 3:33:35. Last five miles were all below 10s. That wraps up my highest mileage week to date, with 54 miles logged. First time over 50, actually!
  • Had a huge cooked breakfast, waited then ran a comfortable 7 miles at 8.02 min/mi pace to complete 40 miles this weak. Back to running 6 miles a week. 
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you SE Forde. Fantastic mileage and distance running Cal. Everyone is blitzing it at the moment.
    Just under 8.5miles in 1hr02. After an easy first mile the pace was good, better than the trundle I was expecting after feeling like death yesterday. Thoughts occupied by the social proliferation of narratives of homogenised antagonistic racial identity and aggressive zero sum solutions, which isn't a fun running partner. That and the weird pitchy tarmac smell I keep picking up, which I'm starting to worry could be me and might be a precursor to spontaneous human combustion. I got absolutely no sleep Friday night and I think it's having a weird effect.
  • Nice one, Stephen and JT. And yeah, you could probably use more sleep. Since my own sleep is crap, I sympathise.
  • That's a big week of mileage, Cal! Far more than I've ever managed. Glad you are keeping injury free.

Nice running, Stephen, and mind boggling thoughts, JT.

We have moved on to Perast, a delightful little village on the Bay of Kotor. There's a great 3/4 mile prom with stunning views,  I on which I attempted a 4 mile progression run this morning. The idea was to start very easy and increase by 20ish secs a mile each time. However, it was like when you're are trying to fast forward through the ads and end up going too far, spoiling the punchline, and then rewind even further than where you started from. It ended up being a slow-quick-slowish-quickish run. Very enjoyable nonetheless, except for the humidity.

I passed a woman in a smart hat and posh white dress on my first mile. I next passed her in a green dress. Then she was in a blue dress. Very confusing instagram generation. 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Good parkrunning and a nice 21 miler Cal.  You are doing some great mileage at the moment.  

Nice holiday updates from Will.  And a good description for your run.

Cooked breakfast sounds good Stephen.  Nice to see you drop in.

Don't think too much on the run JT ;)  Hope you have got some good sleep in the meantime.

Hill race for me yesterday.  8.6 miles with 855m ascent in 01:36.38 - official chip time was 40 seconds slower strangely enough although I started and stopped my watch appropriately.  I wasn't going to get a PB or a decent position so it doesn't matter.  Having run a hard race on Wednesday and a long run on Friday evening I wasn't expecting much.  Just turning out for the team and to pick up my 5th result in the series to give me an overall finisher result.  Haven't done any specific hill training in 2 months either.  Very warm and humid - not really my conditions.  Power hiked all of the steep bits and kept it sensible on the rest.  Woods were quite autumnal already with a layer of beech leaves on the trail - pretty slippery and hiding the stones.
    This morning 4 miles recovery - legs don't feel too bad. 
  • Will - not exactly...I still have my niggles. But I can deal with some grumbling - it's when the grumble turns into a scream that I have to back off.
    Well done on the hill race, Hazelnut - bit weird about the chip time but as long as it's not slower!
    Just pilates for me today. Also had a nap, which was needed.
  • 10 muggy miles this morning. Achilles was its usual grouchy self but the rest of me felt pretty good and loose considering the 21 miler on Sunday. Passed the corpse of a rodent three times during the run. It was either a large mouse or a small baby rat or squirrel. Hard to say.
    Did a lap of the pond near the end to see if I could see my geese but they were hiding. I did, however, come within a couple of feet of a heron, who cast a glance at me and then went back to eating whatever it was eating.
    Was overtaken by someone on a bicycle smoking a joint.
  • The feeling good after the 21 miler could well be a knock-on effect from your increasing mileage Cal.  I am finding that I am recovering a lot faster from hard runs since upping my mileage this year.  Am still hoping that it will also have a definite positive impact upon my race times at some point! (a PB would be nice..).

I like herons - they have a lot of patience when hunting.  My uncle hated them as they would steal his goldfish.

7 and a half recovery with 6 x strides this morning.  Was suffering from minor glute DOMS yesterday evening but that is much better today.  Probably was due to the last steep downhill km in Sunday's race - I had to brake a bit as it was on a fairly loose surface with some tight bends and I didn't want to fall.   Today's effort was at the sort of level I could have kept up for hours but I had to get home to do some work.  I also saw a heron and a couple of storks.  Also took note that someone has spray painted some 100m markers on a road nearby that I could use for strides rather than counting the steps as I generally do for an approx 100m.  Might provide the nearby workshop with some entertainment I suppose.