My Last Run

Comments

• Hi @snewma00

I have had really good results when taking energy gels. Gives you a little boost when you really need it!

Ive found some really good and cheap ones on ebay at the moment!
    Half the price they usually are and they are legit!
    I ususaly get put off buy the price but High5's are worth it.
    Just search
    High 5 Energy Gel x10 Orange
    These are by far the best tasting ones I have had as some of them can be gross!

Hope you find this helpful
  • In hindsight, prawn curry and a big bowl of ice cream was not the best ever run prep. I chugged out 4 bloated miles, the last 2 involving several buttock clenching GI moments. You win some, you loos some.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Great stuff Matt.  That is good mileage for this time of the month.  And daffs even... 

Sorry Will, just had to giggle at that.  I hope you didn't literally "lose some..."

An 8 miler for me yesterday on a flat route adding in some easyish progression.  Overcooked the last couple of miles a bit but was otherwise fairly disciplined.  Birds of the day:  a kestrel, a grey heron and 2 snow-white egrets in the middle of a green field.  Lovely afternoon for it - warm in the sun though as soon as that was gone it cooled quickly.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Good mileage,Matt.Daffs are just coming through up here.

Glad you held tight,Will.

Nice run,Hazlenut.Lovely and sunny here too and for Sunday's HM.

Just another 5.03 miles last night,legs feeling heavy still.

• Ha Will, I've been there... now I'm a bit more careful about what I eat the night before a run!
    Heavy legs for me too (that 11 yesterday may not have been the smartest move...) so I just did my minimum 4 and called it quits. Rest day tomorrow.
  • Enjoy the rest of your rest day Cal.

LT intervalls for me yesterday: Warm-up, 15 and 12 mins @ 10k pace + 10-15 seconds seperated by 4 mins jog recovery, cool down.

Starting to get my head around the LT intervalls and got through the session in good style.  I like doing the fixed time rather than the fix distance - good for pace discipline as going too fast won't make the minutes go past faster, just more painful.  Lovely weather - dug out the capris rather than full tights for the first time this year.

Short recovery a bit later. 
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Excellent intervals,Hazelnut,I enjoy fixed time intervals as well.Lovely weather here as well,you can feel the the warmth of the sun on your face,felt great.
    Day off for me tomorrow as well,rest up for Sunday's HM .

8.03 miles along the canal,2 miles @ HM pace,felt OK .
  • Well done folks.
    Cassiobury parkrun today - a long tube journey but the park's by the station so it wasn't bad. Quite foggy but I actually got away with a T-shirt for today, so I'm considering vest and shorts tomorrow! (Long shorts, mind, with calf sleeves, so only my knees will be out). Ran around 25:20 although I was given a time of 25:24. Age group 1st though, which is something.

• Nice intervals, canal running and parkrunning, folks. Keep up the good work.

I decided on a 3 day rest, following really heavy legs after my 20 miler. I think I underestimated just how much that would take out of me. Seems obvious now, as it's a hell of a long way!

Anyway, it's feeling like a good decision and I think I'll be okay for my Half tomorrow. Trail should have dried out and weather is looking good. Also, had a lovely day back in my new (old) job at Holkham making bird boxes with kids and dissecting owl pellets on the nature reserve. Happy days.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Good luck for your races tomorrow!  Hope you all have good conditions, good legs and lots of fun.
    11 hilly miles this afternoon for me.  Went out a bit too late and only just got back before dark having mtbed to the start of my run and back.  In the sun it was T-shirt warm but on the northern slope of the hill I was on it was very icy in places and my hands nearly fell off on the way home once the sun was down.  Good reminder that it is only mid February. 
    Legs not so amused by the hillage, they are pretty fit on the flat but could do with some work on the ups.
  • I was actually happy to be in vest and shorts today. It was chilly at the start but I soon warmed up.
    I decided I would have a good stab at beating last week's time and am super happy that I did, because I knocked another (almost) half minute off. 1:53:45! I actually kept my pace to the end (last weekend I slowed a little bit) so it was a better run all round. Perfect weather too.

How did you get on, Will?
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    I've already congratulated you on the other thread,Cal,but I'll do it again for a great PB,fantastic running,Cal.

I finished in 1.33.49 for my HM,struggled from mile 10,running into the wind,but it'll do for the the first one of year.Legs are starting to stiffen now.Can't wait for my roast dinner!

• I'm glad I didn't have to contend with wind, JD - there was a little breeze off the Thames but last week was a lot windier at the Olympic Park. Well done, though - hope you enjoyed your roast.

• Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    That's a superb PB, Cal - you just keep on getting faster! Whoop!

Very rapid Half from you JD1 -  you must be pleased with that. Great stuff!

It was a race of two halves for me. Lovely conditions,  although the trail was softer than expected and still quite muddy in lots of places. The first 6 miles went to plan and I was on for a possible just sub-2, but then I really lost pace and completed the rest of the race at pretty much marathon pace. My legs were very heavy and I just couldn't go any faster. I finished in 2:05, 5 minutes slower than last year! A bit disappointing then, but also a learning experience. I think the 2 main factors were: 1) a rather heavy mileage leading up to race day 2) lots of slow training miles, which seem to have programmed me at about 10:10 mi/mi. I think I need to mix things up a bit and force myself into more speedwork   Also, I need to keep an eye on over-training and make sure I rest when needed.

Still, a lovely day for it and a nice train-shaped medal.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Super PB again by you Cal.  I love the way you keep knocking chunks off your PBs.  There must still be quite some potential in you yet if you can keep doing that, and not by a second or two.

And a nice sub 1:34 for JD too.  Wind is a killer and especially in the last few km of a race.   Hope the roast dinner was nice!

Well done on your trail HM Will, even if it wasn't maybe the result you were hoping for. 

x-Training for me yesterday - did a snow shoe plod in very warm conditions - legs are a bit complainy today but will be out later.  Might dump the strides, short hill efforts though, will see how they get warmed up.

Have a good start to the week!
  • Well done Will - trail races are always going to be tougher on the legs. I've noticed how much harder my calves have to work during an off-road parkrun versus one on paths, and that's just 5K.
    As for speed, I don't do a lot of speedwork myself either, but I do parkrun most weeks and that seems to do a good job of keeping me sharp.

And thanks, Hazelnut. I'm starting to realise a sub-4 marathon may not be that far off, in fact. Vienna is probably too soon, but (barring illness and injury) I might actually do it this year.

Rest day today. Had a massage and a nap. Throat's a bit scratchy again. I hope it's just tiredness and not a virus trying to come back.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Well done,Will,on a tough HM trail.Have to agree with Cal,trails are much tougher,and can really sap the strength from your legs.I'm trying to do speed work at least once a week,it does make a difference.

Loved my roast dinner,Cal and Hazelnut,my plate was piled high and I thought there's no way I can eat all that,but it went down no problem!

5.03 mile gentle run this morning,just getting ready for circuit training,gluten for punishment .

• As I generally follow some sort of official plan I do regular speedwork.  It seems to be doing me some good (alongside of upping my overall mileage over the past 4 years).

Hope you enjoyed your circuit training JD - used to like doing that.

Sub 4 should be doable for you at some point Cal. 

Just short of 7 miles yesterday with 6 x short hill efforts and 8 x strides to make things more interesting.  Legs were okay once they were on the move.  Another beautiful day and several of those still to come yet.
  • 10 miles easy this morning. Went out in the dark and watched the sky lighten up. Nice full moon to start with. However, yesterday I made the mistake of eating some jerusalem artichokes that were on offer in Sainsbury's and let's just say they deserve their reputation as this morning's run was, shall we say, wind assisted. I will not be buying again!
  • :D I did the opposite yesterday with my group, watching the sky darken and the moon rise.  Beautiful it was.  At one point it was straight ahead and so bright we could run without head torches.  We have been lucky the last few weeks with some very nice evenings.    Good distraction from the fact that my legs were not amused at yet more uphills.  With a couple of solo miles before meeting the others a bit more than 8.5 miles. 
  • Sounds nice, Hazelnut, although I don't really like to run in the evening, except for the odd midweek summer race. I'm too busy snuggling in my dressing gown by 6pm. Well, earlier, if I'm being honest. :lol:
    Similar run today - the moon had a bit of cloud around it but still popped out to say hello. 12 miles this time.

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Been working nights so it was an afternoon run for me,which I don't mind,much better than an evening run.

7 miles hilly trail run,when I reached the top it was grey,drizzly and miserable.Normally see walkers but not a sole around.Haven't done this run for a couple of weeks,so it made a pleasant change.

• Giggles at the thought of a fish at the top of a hill.... (sorry couldn't resist that)

JD1 said:

7 miles hilly trail run,when I reached the top it was grey,drizzly and miserable.Normally see walkers but not a sole around.Haven't done this run for a couple of weeks,so it made a pleasant change.

I'm definitely more of an evening runner - I would like to run mornings more often but would need to do a lot to change my routines.

The worst thing for me are lunchtime runs as I am generally hungry - even if I have eaten a snack mid-morning.

6 miles yesterday on flat ground - got the pacing more or less spot on for once.   Finally spotted some snowdrops and also some celandines I think (pointy yellow flowers..).  Anyone suffering from pollen allergies can't be too happy about the hazel trees blooming so early though.
  • Today was my first run since Sunday. I spent 3 days having absolutely no urge to run and so didn't. I was mindful of giving myself a bit more recovery time generally and also seemed to have hit a stage where the training has felt like a chore. I wish April 7th would hurry up!

Anyway,  I snapped out of the gloom with a lovely 10K training run with my Dad. It's the only time I don't run solo and it probably did me some good. We're doing a 10K trail race at the end of March and Dad is aiming for sub-1hr. Today's effort was in 57:40 so it looks like we're on target. Lots of signs of Spring : a Magpie carrying nesting material, Snowdrops, Daffodils and a pair of Bullfinch chasing each other. Legs felt good after a decent rest and resting again tomorrow before a 16 miler on Saturday. I have at least my mo back. Hoping my jo will follow!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Glad to hear that, Will.
    No running for me today (rest day) but I'm a bit concerned about my knee, which started hurting during the pilates HIIT class I did yesterday. It's not a usual runners knee thing - it's above and to the inside of the knee itself so I think it's likely I've tweaked the muscle. I'm due to run tomorrow so I'll see how it feels.
    I did walk, though, and the Egyptian geese now have some babies. Let's hope the mean swan leaves them alone. I found out that the fishermen who use the pond call him Gripper, after the bully from Grange Hill. :D
  • I think a lot of people hit that point in mara training Will - miles and more miles and the goal race does not get closer.  Putting in the odd race is certainly a way to liven things up as long as you keep your mara goal in mind - I would be careful not to do too many or race too hard if you are wiped out for a few days afterwards.   Nice run with your dad.  I heard but could not see a woodpecker drumming industriously today and also saw a of the few local storks (those that did not migrate to other places) enjoying a wander in some rather fresh slurry.. (hmm - nice!)

LT Intervals this afternoon - 18 mins and 14 mins separated by a 4 minute jog recovery.  Hit the appropriate pace again but was puffing a bit more than I would have liked.  It was warm enough to get out the shorts today (not the lightweight ones though), I would have seriously overheated in anything longer. 
  • It was foggy here this morning so I'm still in tights (had shorts on for my race on Sunday, though - but I wear the bike-type ones).
    Knee niggle is still there but seems more bothered by squatting than running. I did 6 miles. I guess the HIIT pilates class will have to go, at least for now.  Going to see my physio on Monday anyway, as the achilles has been grumpy all week.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Must be really nice running with your Dad,Will.Hope your 16 miler goes well.

Great LT intervals,Hazelnut.Really warm and sunny here too.Running along the canal I could hear woodpeckers and buzzards circling above.New lambs in the fields.Spring is definitely here.

I seem to get injured more in HITT classes,Cal.But I don't want to give them up,as they're enjoyable and compliment my running.

Only had time to do five miles today,so decided to do some speed work. 5x800m @ sub 5k pace.Day off tomorrow,going to have a rest.

• Sounds like a bit of a killer speed sesh, JD1! Yes, I really enjoy running with my Dad. He's 74 in a couple of weeks and amazes me every time, breezing through the 10K training.

Hope your niggles clear up, Cal. You've been caning the mileage a bit, eh?!

Nice Storks and Woodpeckers, Hazelnut. I heard one drumming the other day and a Green one 'yaffling' today.

I was up and out early today for my 16 miler and the birdsong was amazing out on Marriott's Way. The sun was threatening to make it a glorious morning, but it suddenly disappeared and the mist thickened unfortunately. All felt good today, so I think my resting week was definitely needed. My form felt good and there were no real 'struggled' points along the way. I was really happy with the splits - very consistent and saved my fastest 2 miles until last. I think I'm getting my fuelling right as well, which is good for the mara confidence. Plenty of runners out today, obviously gearing up for Spring maras and all of whom waved or said 'hello. All but one dog (Bob, who chased me a bit) were well behaved and it's nice to have the long run over and done with by breakfast on a Saturday. All is good. It should stay that way too, if the rugby goes to plan for Mrs Will!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Lot of woodpeckers around here though I usually just hear them, but last week I actually spotted one on the common due to the bare branches. A spotted one - greater, I think, as it had red on the body. I have seen green ones on the common before, though not recently.

Well done on the 16, Will.

A run in three parts today. I was getting a lift to Harrow Lodge parkrun so I ran 2 miles to get my lift, then the parkrun, then a mile from where I was dropped off to home. The parkrun itself is in a lovely East London park but it was so foggy it was hard to take in the scenery, which includes a large lake full of swans and other fowl. Mixed terrain, but not too muddy today so no slippage. I made the course a bit long so although I was going at a good clip, my time was around 30 seconds slower than I expected. Still got in under 26, though, and finished as 8th lady (only 3rd in my age group though).