My Last Run

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yes it is... I had another windy run this morning. I was going to do 10 or 12 but felt tired after 5 miles and achilles was sore so I cut it down to 8 again. The race took a lot out of me on Sunday due to the wind and I think I was also a bit dehydrated.
    I constantly have to remind myself that my goal is the race ahead, not the weekly mileage, and today reason won out.
    Saw a nice big fox.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Good reasoning and fox spot.

I got round my planned 10 over lunch but it was a bit of a struggle.  I made up a route as I went along avoiding running for longer stretches straight into the wind but at the times I was it was pretty exhausting and I had to concentrate on left foot-right foot just to keep going.

No foxes, just one dog and its owner, the former fortunately attached to the latter by a lead - it goes mad, almost howling when it sees me running.  I'm not sure if it is just generally frustrated at not being able to join in rather than agressive.
  • alipat1990alipat1990 ✭✭✭
    Good running Cal and Hazel. Conditions are certainly tough out there today.

I popped out for 5 miles this morning before work. The wind seemed to be changing direction all of the time which made things tricky. 

After the 20 miles on Sunday, and with another 20 planned for this weekend, I'm trying to be careful not to push it too much this week. 

I'm going to have to invest in some new shoes too which is not ideal timing. Those guys have certainly lasted me a long time though so I definitely got my money's worth.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Great running everyone in horrible conditions.
    I decided to use the treadmill at the gym today,I've never used one before so thought it might be handy when blowing a gale.Planned to do 10 miles but threw my hand in after 5,I was totally bored .Back outside tomorrow whatever the weather.
  • I've never been able to get on with a treadmill,  JD1. Tried a couple of times,long ago, in a gym and made a fool of myself :)

Sensible restraint alipat. My body has been feeling the strain lately, so I too am being careful not to overdo it. Just general aches from all the training and the fatigue of a long prep programme. My new mara shoes arrived yesterday and are stashed in my cupboard (don't tell Mrs Will !) Back on the Sauconys with some iso 4 triumphs.

Good resilience in the face of the wind, Hazelnut. It would take more than that to stop a tough cookie like you!

I know what you mean about the sacred weekly mileage, Cal, but, as you say, there is a bigger picture and always a good idea to go by feel when you need to. No foxes this end for ages.

Very windy here and I battled through it for a couple of 'slog' runs. 4 miles last night and 6 at a decent lick the night before. I do feel like I am in good shape now, but the post run collapses in front of Netflix are slightly more desperate! Another run tonight, then a 15 at the weekend will signal the start of the taper.
    I run, therefore I am.
    Have a good 20 alipat, I hope in not too awful conditions.

Same for the 15 Will.  If you can sneak them past Mrs Will I would recommend giving the new shoes a few miles pre race.  Wear them in and sort out the lacing.

I've only run about a mile on a TM JD - shoe test.  Having to pay for using one certainly puts me off! I don't do gyms but probably should!

4 recovery for me this morning (day off) in the pouring rain and with another battering from the wind.  Must be pretty obsessed to go out in that.  Weekend skiing coming up so only a recovery if at all planned.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't Mrs Will notice your new  trainers when you try them out! I try and stick to the same colours,but Mrs JD has eagle eyes and usually spots how new they are.There's light at the end of tunnel now,regarding your mara training .I'm not  going to have a training plan,apart from getting long runs in.

Where do you go skiing,Hazelnut ?

10 miles this afternoon in horizontal rain,9.28 miles @ 7.26 pace,legs felt really good.Legs have a satisfactory ache to them.
    That's some really good pace JD. Well done.

Ha, you're secret it safe with me Will. I have some new Pegasus 35s turning up tomorrow and I am looking forward to giving them a spin tomorrow evening.

How is everyone planning to approach taper for those of you that are running upcoming marathons? 
  • Awesome running guys! I can only dream of running distances like that at the moment.

After giving my ankle a very decent rest and practicing tendon stretches daily, I feel I may have turned the corner!, If I have I will be eternally grateful to whoever the running god is! I went out for two very gentle 3 and a half miles with just a slight ache and nothing the next day, so am going to try and start going sensibly, and slowly, up through the miles.

Learnt my lesson though!

Nature wise saw a barn own fly silently overhead and land on a fence post. Which was cool.

Had my first experience of what I Now know to be "Joggers nipple" after being caught in an icy deluge. Thoroughly unpleasant and surprisingly painful.

My introduction to running kind of reminds me of the first car I bought as a teenager for £400. An uphill struggle of weekly issues and repairs!

My half marathon in three weeks time is out, but there's plenty more events locally, It'll just be great to be out plodding again, fingers crossed.
  • Good and sensible persistence, Linton. I hope your ankle and nipples continue to improve! Lovely Barn Owl spot - they are ace.

I love the childish anticipation of putting on a new pair of runners, alipat.  Mrs Will is still in the dark on my Sauconys :) In all honesty she probably wouldn't notice I was wearing new ones, as long as the washing up gets done :) I will, of course, tell her about them...hopefully before she sees the credit card statement! I'll put them through their paces before Manchester , Hazelnut , although I've alway found Sauconys absolutely lush to wear right from the get go.

I psyched myself up to get out again last night for 6 Easy miles. I was less fatigued than I'd expected, having run 8/9 of the last 9 days and got the miles in the bag. No spots on my run, although there is a lovely cherry blossom tree in full bloom right under a street lamp, which really brightened up the run. I did spend the day teaching my colleagues bird identification skills out on the estate though, the highlight of which was a troupe of 6 Red Kites flying in formation.

Now time for a couple of rest days and a bit of core work, then a 15 miler on Sunday. Then starts the taper. I'm reducing my mileage by 30 percent each week for the 3 week countdown - and feel ready for it! Have learnt that a 20 week plan is a hell of a long time to commit to and probably a few weeks too long. Feeling fit and with legs like steel though! Happy running all.

I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Maybe invest in some Nipeaze, Linton - or at least some Vaseline. It's not a problem for us ladies due to the sports bras, but I've chafed my underboobs enough times to know that's not fun in the shower.
    Alipat, slow reduction in miles although I keep the last week very light. Before Chester I did 9 miles on Sunday (was meant to be 10 but, uh, had some stomach issues), 6 miles on the Tuesday and 4 on the Thursday. Enough to keep the legs ticking over and no more.
    Will, feeling rather tired myself. I have my last long run on Sunday, if my achilles isn't too bad.
    6 miles today - rather windy. Pleased to report all 7 Egyptian goslings are still kicking. They're still fluffy but have doubled in size.
    Haha probably for the best that you tell her Will. Unfortunately my delivery was delayed for some unknown reason so now my new shoes won't be here until Monday. I was really hoping to give them a run out over the weekend but nevermind. 

I went out for what was supposed to be an easy 10km after work tonight. Of course my legs didn't want to listen though, as is often the case, and I ended up running my quickest 10km of the year so far (by over 2 mins!). And that included spending almost an entire minute jogging on the spot as I waited for an opportunity to cross a main road. Running early in the morning is much easier for that reason.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    My main run today was Foots Cray Meadows parkrun (but there was a 2 mile jog to meet my friend who was driving us there, and then another two miles on the way home after she dropped me off. I did the latter carrying a bag of apples I bought in the farm shop).
    Very nice, fully off-road course. Not too mucky but the surface was quite bumpy and it was windy so I came in at 26:59. 24th overall and 5th lady which sounds impressive but there were only 52 runners, so maybe not so much. Came 1st of only three in my age group.
    Had a nice brekkie afterwards in the farm shop, which seems to be doing very well from the parkrun. The results arrived before my breakfast was ready.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    And last long run in the bag. 21 miles in 3:31. I'm rather tired and my back aches. At least my achilles just grumbled a bit and didn't scream at me. It wasn't happy after the parkrun yesterday.
  • Good fast work, alipat. Cal - you're a machine! That's good going for a training 21er.

Mrs Will is still away after watching the Grand Slammers yesterday,  so I snuck my new Sauconys out for my final longie before Manchester :) Dropped the kids at my sister's and set off on a mission to avoid the wind. Started off doing laps of the cemetery which was very pleasant and sheltered , with loads of cherry blossom and squirrels scurrying around. I thought 15 miles of the same 1.25 mile loop may get boring so I ventured out into town. Every route seemed to be against a headwind or sidewind and so, after battling that for a while, I ended up back in the cemetery to finish the run off. A very unperturbed Muntjac stood brazenly in the path until I got about 10 metres away, whereupon it bounded off - a nice distraction after 13 miles. The new shoes were absolutely lush from the get go. I even like the way they lace them up in the factory! Can't belive I paid the same for the shite Asics. I finished the 15 miles in 2:31, with a pace of 10:05 m/m - perfect for Manchester. Some slower miles going into the wind and then the final 4 were easily the fastest at about 9:45, which felt good. A relief to now be ready to start my taper. Looking forward to running with my Dad in his race debut next weekend, a 10K trail race. Now to hide those shoes again....
    I run, therefore I am.
    Excellent work Cal and Will. I'm super ready for tapering now. My body feels exhausted.

I just about managed 20 miles this morning in 3:04. What an awful last big run that was. Pretty much anything that could go wrong did go wrong. Crazy strong head winds, my earphones died 7 miles before the end, I managed to drop my water bottle under a HGV on the A47, dropped my last gel whilst eating it and my legs were dead after just 5 miles. But if my training has taught me anything it's that perseverance is key and persevere I did. 

Now time for the taper to begin! Looking forward to a few weeks of some less intense running.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well, more or less the same pace as you, Will! What's your target for MCR?
    alipat, sounds like a comedy of errors! But you got it done and in a decent time. Hopefully that's all your bad luck done and dusted before the big day.
  • Good work getting those miles in alipat. They're banked now! With you on the taper front. Well ready for it.

I'm aiming to finish in 4:30 as a first target, Cal. I think I can probably sneak that nearer 4:20 if all goes well. 10:00-10:10 m/m should be doable, but as it's my debut marathon who knows. The crowd and the adrenaline might spur me on to sub 10:00 for some of it, but we'll see. Really looking forward to it :) 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Hello. Newbie here. Well done on your runs Cal,Will and Alipat. I'm training for my first marathon (Brighton) in 4 weeks time. I managed a very slow 20 miles last week in the wind using run walk method so did 10.47 mmp. Went out today, did 4 miles and it was a struggle. Reading your posts has made me feel better in that I'm not the only one getting read for the taper and the big day! Good luck with the running and shoe hiding 😉 
  • Good luck Will, those shoes sound great! A little scrolling back reveals they are Saucony iso 4 triumphs?

I like my Sauconys but am after a cushioned high mileage model, and am thoroughly confused as to whether to get Ride, Triumph, Kinvara, or Freedom. Any thoughts? It is helpful to have a real "review" from an actual person.

Nothing of interest to report, did my local Pegwell parkrun, 22:34, it was busy and muddy after the rain. There were 80 odd "couch to 5k" runners doing there first 5k under the watchful eye of Thanet Roadrunners. Great to see and good on 'em.

Tomorrow I start from again with a 10k! A fairly measly distance, but will be my first "proper" run since the injury fiasco. model

Hope everyone has a good week.
  • Hello and welcome, Daisydoo! Great stuff getting through your 20 miler. I'm sure you'll enjoy Brighton - it's rather ace from all I've heard. Embrace the taper :)

Linton, I'm now on my 3rd pair of Triumphs. I'm 6ft 1in and 14st 7lbs, so a largish chap, and need a good bit of cushioning. I love the Triumphs. Superbly comfy and last me at least 350-400 miles. I've used Ride as well and liked them too, but would defo go with Triumph.

You will all be pleased to know that Mrs Will now knows about my new shoes. She returned last night from a Grand Slam weekend in Cardiff, in a suitably good mood. I hadn't lost the kids and had got all the washing done and dried, so it seemed a good time to confess! Her response: "Well, it gets you out of the house and keeps you sane so what's another pair." Phew :) 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    😂 Will. Mrs Will sounds like a good woman....rugby and shoe acceptance. I have the same with my other half. He sneaks bikes and bike parts into the house. Mad cyclist and runner. Our house is festooned in Lycra! He's done the Brighton marathon twice and says yes the crowd support is great. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Welcome, Daisy! Good luck with Brighton and well done on the 20. Always helpful if your other half shares (or at least understands) your hobby.
    Will - I guess she'd rather have a trim, fit husband than a fat one!

Rest day for me - got a massage and had a little walk on the common. The evil swan is gone! Either they managed to catch him or he's flown off.
    All the Egyptian goslings are doing well and are getting pretty big.
    Struck up a conversation with a beginner runner who had stropped to stretch so educated him on the joys of parkrun and got a big sweaty hug in return.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Great running everyone,you're all hitting your targets.You can all enjoy your taper.

Perseverance is a massive part of running,alipat,especially in the winter months.

Glad you're happy with your new Saucony's,Will.I use their guides,always happy with them.Bet Mrs Will is in a great mood after the Grand Slam,maybe order another pair of Saucony's,can't have too many.

Welcome,Daisydoo,good luck with Brighton,couple of clubmates are running Brighton,going to make a long weekend of it.

No running for me over the last few days,haven't been getting home from work until 7,then my girls make me feel guilty even if I look at my trainers,so back out tomorrow.

Nice and busy on here at the moment :-)  I need to read back over the last few days after a weekend away and dealing with a crashed server at work all day - but after a quick skim read I can see there has been a good weekend of running going on. 

Welcome to DaisyDoo. 

Glad your ankle is improving Linton, I like the car comparison.

Hope the shoes have turned up today Alipat. 

Did manage to sneak out for a run earlier despite the work situation:  7 and a bit miles with 2 sets of strides thrown in.  Still a bit breezy here.  Legs appreciated the 3 days off running.  No wildlife spots but did enjoy the sight of some heavy showers all around - they all missed me fortunately.
  • - clone card & Secured shipping tunnel
    - cc Fullz & random Infos – 99% valid cards
    - Dumps with pin track 1&2 101 201
    - Western Union money transfer services
    - Bank Transfer – Bank Login
    - PayPal transfer – PayPal account verified
    - Gift Card Itune – Amazon – Ebay Etc
    - Electronics carding services
    - Booking flight ticket services – worldwide
    - Buy fake / genuine passports,
    - Buy a driver's license, an ID card, a visa,
    IELTS, birth certificate, social security card,
    social insurance number and many other documents

- Bitcoin (BTC) PAYMENT ACCEPTED Work 24/24 And 7/7

-Email: [email protected] - Gmail: [email protected]

- WathsApp: +1(347)-688-2381 - ICQ : 744891874
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Drizzly 6 miler this morning. Nothing interesting to report, other than it's light early now. Of course, the clock change will knock that back a bit two weeks from now.

• DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Morning Cal...yippee to lighter mornings. 

I set off to do 5 miles as my knee has been niggling but ended up with 8 in the bag so buzzing. Just looping round the park and streets. Some very happy people out there today....I think it's the sunshine and no wind! The magnolias are looking beautiful. 

Have a great day all. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I do love the mags and blossom at this time of year, Daisy. It makes me happy.

• enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Hi All, long time no run! After my 18.4k I took a couple days off, then felt rough, had a business trip and finally came down with the lurgy. Had my first work day off for about 7 years and generally didn't get out of bed for three days. Ideal prep when my first Half is next weekend! So this morning I delurgeed and ran a leisurely 3k. Woohoo.

Well done alipat, love the determination in your run. I wouldn't have copied my dropping your bottle under a vehicle trick though! Good luck Linton, well done Daisy and others I missed.

Any thoughts on what I should do between now and my run on Sunday?