My Last Run

Comments

• enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Well done Cal. That trail looks particularly brutal Cal. I'd be guaranteed to turn an ankle on that. A 20 miler post that too. You definitely seem to be in the groove. I really like the Pymmes parkrun. They are a friendly bunch, but I had a similar experience with the weather. One particular stretch felt like I was running through treacle! Otherwise it would be a possible PB course.

Hazel, nice job in your hill race and getting the third for age. That must have been pleasing. Nice 10 miler too. I'm feeling very lazy.

Will good Parkrun and congrats on sticking it to the younger generation :-) It could be too late with the asparagus, just make sure you don't drive to the allotment. Your Mum can't afford it!

Ali, hope your knee clears up. Is there anything more frustrating than illness and injury when you're training for a race?

JD1, be interested to hear your thoughts on the Nike's as well. They are definitely trickling down now, although not quite to my level yet!
  • Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    Love a bit of Fartlek! Still makes me laugh from when we did it in gcse PE :)

Another good Junior Parkrun from my boy yesterday, finishing his 45th jpr in his 2nd fastest time. Always a good start to a Sunday and great to see all the kids having fun and enjoying running.

I got out for 6.5 miles in the evening. I still do feel a little jaded in the legs, especially in the middle part of the run, but I finished strong for a fast last mile. Still having a recce for new routes and enjoying just turning as and when I want and seeing where it takes me. Thinking about signing up for a 10K or Half for June/July just to get a race number on again. 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Cal,I haven't bought them yet and still haven't decided which ones.Most probably buy them after Chester HM and just use them for races.Weather is looking perfect at the moment for Chester so far,think Liverpool is the week after.

Hope your quads are feeling better,Hazelnut.Running downhill is exhilarating but your quads do suffer after.

envruk,nice Fartleks,always a tough session.

6 miles yesterday evening,legs feeling tired still so kept it nice and easy.

• enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Getting there Will and a fast finish is always uplifting. Having something to aim for will help imo.

JD1, what's your goal for Chester?

I heard a Barrister have to repeat some hilariously foul language in court today. It was even funnier than fartleks.

I ran a 10k yesterday, aimed at my intended next HM pace, but I ran a little harder and decided to go with it. Also managed a fast(ish) last 1k in a total time of 54:30 ish. Had a bit left in the tank, but not sure how I get down to my sub 51 target by late summer. We'll see.  
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I just couldn't seem to get out of the house yesterday despite the sunshine - the longer it went on, the less I felt able to move. I guess last week caught up with me.
    So I had to go out in the rain this morning (which I didn't really mind - it was still mild and I like the wet vegetation smell). I did 8 very slow miles. I usually get a bit quicker after the first couple of miles, but not today. Hopefully I'll be back to my usual self by the weekend, when I'm doing Gatwick half.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Maybe your body is forcing a little taper on you Cal and come the weekend you'll really nail it. Any target in mind?

I ran 30 mins easy tonight, which for me meant 5.5km. After training for the HM, training for a 5k time is definitely easier to fit in your schedule. Unlike Cal, I am a wimp and waited until it stopped raining!
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    The odd CNBA day won't hurt Cal in particular if you have a half at the weekend.  

I find fartlek difficult to do enrvuk - I prefer the structure of intervals as I'm not good at making up the run on the fly.  Do you have to keep a straight face at all times as a juror?  You are likely to be quite a bit faster in a 10k race scenario and you have some time left until late summer.   

Enjoy the exploring Will and Well done to your jnr.  Good idea with the 10k / HM for June/July (other than that it might be hot by then).

Two runs to report - a nice 6 mile group outing on Tuesday - 15 runners must almost be a record.  We went to the pub afterwards which might have encouraged some to turn out.  Yesterday 5 mile recovery in the pouring rain.  It was tempting for me as well to wait for it to stop but that would have meant running at around 11pm.
    Not sure what to do about today's run yet - it is supposed to get very windy later so I will probably postpone my intervals to tomorrow. 
  • jag1jag1 ✭✭
    Hi. New here but lurked for a while. No run since last Sunday when I did my first ever 10k race. Chuffed to come in under the hour. Will be running later this evening with my local athletics club. Will be nice to stretch my legs again.
    Welcome jag1, always nice to see a new poster here.  Well done on your first 10k and in particular for the sub hour result! Hope you had a nice outing with your club this evening.

It was windy here today so intervals are on the agenda tomorrow.  Today I trotted to a sheltered spot to do a decent set of strides 2 x 6 x 100m ish and trotted home again for approx 6.5 miles.  Legs are definitely starting to freshen up before next weeks HM.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Welcome, jag1! Well done on your first 10K.

enrvuk - it would be nice to beat my PB (1:53:45) but the way I've been feeling this week, it's unlikely. The course doesn't seem that flat either - going by the profile, there's a hill around mile 9 and then the finish is net uphill so pacing will be tricky.
    I'm really there to test my Vaporflys (if they're comfortable enough I'll be wearing them at Liverpool).

One of the exercises we did in pilates on Wednesday has trashed my quads so today's run was another recovery effort - 6 miles, very sluggish. I need my legs to wake the hell up for the weekend.
  • jag1jag1 ✭✭
    Thanks for the welcome. Stretched legs with some technique training last night. Parkrun tomorrow. Ours is quite tough the first half being uphill and all on trails and my pb is 30.00. On a flat one I manage 28.19 as a pb. 

Will report back. 
    Have a good parkrun tomorrow jag1, sounds like a tough course. Will be nice to read how you got on.

With the combination of a lumpy course and not feeling too great Cal concentrating on the new shoes might be a plan.  Maybe you will feel better by Sunday and have a good one. Hope so!

Intervals this evening for me. A 5k warm up with some bits added in (knees up, bum kicks, short strides etc.) Then 2 x 1km ith 2:30 recoveries and 4 x 800 with 2:00 recoveries.  Distances were measured by GPS so likely a bit off.  The first km was on target but my pace then slipped to around 10k rather than 5k pace but I'm reasonably happy with the results as I got the session done and worked pretty hard.  Also did another 4km cool down to complete 10 miles. 

Pretty muggy this evening.  Bees were busy in the oilseed rape, I fortunately didn't have any close encounters.  Had two nice meetings, a guy on a tractor spraying his crop waited for me to pass rather than block the road, nice of him.  I also met the same dogwalker as yesterday evening with two golden retrievers on very long non retractable leads.  She could knit socks with them.  No entanglements but we both laughed at meeting again in a completely different location.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

envruk,I'm going to go out with the 1:30 pacer but I'm not really feeling it in myself,so I'll most probably come in about 1:32 - 33.You still have a bit of time to go sub 51 and as Hazelnut said you'll go faster in a race.When's your 5k?

Welcome,jag1,well done on your 10k and sub 1hour.

Good luck in your HM,Cal,hope your legs are feeling better.

Hope you managed to get your intervals in,Hazelnut,I know you love them!

Club intervals Wednesday,4 x 800m @ sub 5k pace,I was struggling towards the end and legs feeling heavy again.

Just over 10 miles this morning,wanted to push myself,ran them at HM and tempo pace.Felt ok,so going to run all of my next runs easy until I race.

Well, a combination of poorly kids, feeling a bit strange on new meds and a big dose of CBA means I have done slightly less than zilch running this week. Will try to start again today. Can't remember having this little enthusiasm to run. 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It can happen to all of us, Will, particularly post-marathon. You probably need the break. Have you got any more races booked?

Legs are still sore (damn that pilates teacher!) so I knew I wasn't going to get another sub-25 at parkrun today but I also wanted to push a bit as I've been sluggish all week. I opted for Rickmansworth today - it's about an hour and 10 minutes on the tube but I needed a flat one and I've done all the nearer flat ones already!
    The location is lovely - it's at the Aquadrome, which is a nature reserve with two big lakes. Interestingly, the lakes were created by the extraction of building materials for the old Wembley Stadium...the rubble of which now resides as some striking mounds at the Northala Fields parkrun.
    Lots of ducks and geese, some with young, and I saw some grebes.
    The route is pancake flat and paved, but the downside is that it is a very busy parkrun with quite a bit of congestion so I probably wasted some energy trying to get around people during the first mile.
    It felt like hard work and I eased slightly during the last mile as I was breathing hard and realised I should probably keep something in the tank for tomorrow. My watch made it 25:27 but I didn't stop it immediately and was given an official time of 25:20, which is decent enough. I got age cat 1st, but there was a VW55 and a VW60 with a better time than mine so I'm not going to blow my trumpet too much.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    edited May 11
    Welcome Jag, the 1hr 10k is one of those great barriers to break, so congrats. I hope to do it officially in a few weeks. Hope you had a good Parkrun, what's your local?

Nice intervals in the countryside Hazel. I might copy those intervals as I've done similar, but either the 800m or the 1k, not both together.

JD1 nice workout for your prep. It's nice when you hit your targets in the build up. Nice injury free week needed now I guess. 

Cal, sounds like the build up and the course are against you, but you never know how you'll feel on the day. Good luck for tomorrow. That was a very decent Parkrun and nice to get an Age Cat 1st, well done! I've got a list of Parkrun tourism I am planning and Rickmansworth and Northala FIelds are on there. I knew about Northala but not the Rickmansworth connection to Wembley. Plausibly the Northala hills are the Rickmansworth holes. The non-chip queues make it tough to get a really good time at several Parkruns. Castle Park was a similar experience for me.

Will, good luck with the post-marathon blues. You definitely seem to need a goal.

Jury service now completed, I think a little guffaw is allowed, one defendant did laugh. All very serious stuff on the whole though.

I did 4x800m with 200m jogged recovery between. I managed to jog all but a little of the first three recoveries, so an improvement on a few weeks ago. I also ran each 800 around 12 seconds quicker, which was nice and just ahead of the target.

Nature watch (think I win this week): Magpies, various dog breeds, squirrels, two wart hogs, two giraffes and a couple of zebra.  
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Regent's Park, by any chance?
    Yes, both of those parkruns are definitely worth a visit. Most exciting thing I saw today was some grebes - we don't get those on Tooting Common!
    Nice 10 miler JD. Seems you are ready for your half.

Break will do you good Will. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Good parkrun Cal, hope the HM goes well today. 

Well done enrvuk on the intervals. Were you pounding around a zoo?

Tried out my new trail shoes yesterday on a 4 and a bit mile recovery in the neighbouring woods.  Felt pretty good - the shoes, the legs were not so enthusiastic.  I relied on OH's navigational skills so the run involved more up and down than I could have done with after the intervals of the day before.  Then spent the afternoon spectating at the 10 mile race in the city.  Was able to pick out several of my teammates, not so easy among around 10000 runners.  First man was a blur, just short of 45 mins for 10 undulating miles.
  • alipat1990alipat1990 ✭✭✭
    edited May 12
    Will,  I'm sure you'll get your mojo back soon.

Nice effort on the parkrun Cal. 1st place in your age category is never to be sniffed at.

Good job in the intervals enrvuk.

Hazel, glad to hear the new shoes are settling in nicely. 45 mins for 10 miles is crazy!!! Especially hilly ones! 

So after 6 days off I decided to test the knee out at parkrun yesterday. It was my first time at the Braunstone parkrun. The course was certainly interesting. The start line is extremely wide across a big grassy area which then funnels into a pretty narrow path. That's definitely not ideal when you have 500 runners all charging to the same path. This meant that I ended up getting sucked along with some of the frontrunners early on when I probably should have been taking it easy. It's a 2 lap course around a couple of lakes, with a nasty hill around the halfway point that definitely thinned out the pack. I ended up finishing with a new PB (22.33) and finished 5th in my age group. That's 22 seconds quicker than the PB I set 3 weeks ago. 

As for the knee, it held up well enough during the run itself, but the pain flared up again as the day went on. I don't think my snowboarding lesson on Friday or an afternoon of laser quest yesterday (stag do) did it any favours. It's definitely feeling better today though so it seems like it is definitely improving. I'm going to try and resist running at all this week to give it some time to fully heal.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    My legs were not enthusiastic either, Hazel... They felt mostly OK and I did 6 miles at around PB pace but it started feeling like hard work after 3, so I decided to ease a bit. Just as well as there was a whacking great hill at mile 8. After that, it turned into a "just get it done" race. It felt warmer than the weather forecast suggested and I don't know if there was a lot of pollen but I was breathing harder than I should have been. I eventually came in at 1:57:06 which isn't even in my top 5, but there you go. I should probably stop doing long races between April and September as I do my best running when it's much cooler.
    Medal and shirt were nice and the event was well organised with a good race village and appearances from Colin Jackson and Dina Asher-Smith. Probably not one I'd do again, though - too late in the year and a lot of running along country lanes which I find a bit boring.
    Now to recover for Liverpool.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    edited May 12
    Yes, Cal and Hazel are right, not a savannah just Regents Park, by the zoo. I hadn't noticed them before, so I assume they've been let out because of warmer weather. Either that or I really do run with blinkers on.

Cal, sounds like a tough day heat and possibly more importantly hill wise. I also noticed a lot of pollen today, when you throw it altogether it's a lot to contend with. You can't always set a PR, sometimes it's just a good workout in the conditions, you still ran a HM in 1:57!

That's a huge event Hazel, which city is it?

Alipat, that's a cracking parkrun and a great PR, especially with a hilly part. Sounds like your knee would benefit from a week off from running and stag dos!

12.6k slow run from me today. Definitely warmer than I like, but manageable.
    Well done on the HM Cal, I think enrvuk sums it up well.   How did you find the Vaporflys over that distance?

Heat is not my friend either enrvuk - need some time for acclimatisation.  The race was in Berne yesterday - the second largest in terms of participants in Switzerland.  It was won by Geoffrey Kamworor, a three time world champion at HM.  He was more than 4 minutes ahead of 2nd place - a 2:06:40 marathoner….

Well done on your parkrun PB alipat, that is a great improvement.  Be careful with that knee.  Snowboarding lesson at this time of year?  I assume artificial slope - be careful with your thumbs as well!

Did my last longer pre HM run today - a 10 miler with some progression up to MP at the end.  Felt good.  Pretty breezy today, maybe the reason why there were very few people out and about.  Achilles niggle has more or less disappeared with the new shoes after two runs already - maybe the bloke in the shop was right about the old ones being too big and not therefore not supporting the foot enough.  Will wear those out nonetheless but use the new ones for longer runs.  
    Great running from all you MLRERS! Just a quick post from me. After a strange week I managed to get back on the Horse tonight and crack out 4 miles in 35 mins. Legs felt pretty good after a week off and lungs still have some puff in them. Feeling soooo much better for having a run! Phew.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hazel...not sure actually. They're lovely and light and feel bouncy, but my forefoot got quite sore towards the end just as they did in the Zoom Flys. I think it's the plate. So not sure I should wear them for Liverpool. My old Zoom Flys were horrible the first time I wore them for a half but then once I did some shorter races (10K then 10 mile then another half) they seemed better and I had no problems in them at Chester. The thing with the Vapors is, you don't want to wear them in too much as they're not as durable, so, hmm.
    What I did notice was that my cadence was down a bit (averaged 176) but stride stayed long (by long I mean just over a metre, which is long for me - a lot of my slower training runs are around 0.85 - 0.9) even when I was tired. So I think they make a difference, mechanics-wise.
    Well done will - rest day for me, and off for a massage shortly.
    Cal, personally I wouldn't run a mara in shoes without having done a couple of long runs first but I see your point about not wearing the VFs out in training.  It is tales of the fast wearing that puts me off of them so far.  If they made your feet feel sore after a HM I would probably save them for shorter races up to and including a HM.  Hope you had a nice rest day and massage.

Good news Will.

Rather than a day off as planned, 5k for me this afternoon to collect my car (repairs).  No other practical means of transport so jogged it in half an hour.  Very windy here at the moment, any running in the next days will need careful route planning.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

10 miles in 45 minutes is crazy,Hazelnut,when you see professional runners live it's more impressive than watching on the tv.When is your HM?

Fantastic PB parkrun,alipat,that's a big improvement in just three weeks.Good idea in resting your knee as well.

Well done on your HM,Cal,sounds like a tough one,always takes a while to get used to running in warmer weather.Think it's going to be slightly cooler for Liverpool.

Glad you're feeling better for having a run,Will.

Great safari watch,envruk,just needed to spot a few lions.

No running for me so far this week,came down a sickness bug Friday night,feeling washed out.Maybe try a run Thursday or Friday.Going to do Chester HM still but most probably make it an easy run.

I've noticed a distinct lack of house martins,swifts and swallows this year.House martins are usually building their nests in the eaves of my roof by now.

Hope you're feeling better soon JD1 and are able to get your running shoes on. Sickness bugs are never fun. The arrival of Swallows, martins and Swifts has been slow here in the east too. I think the stop/start weather has made them arrive in small, staggered groups. I did have a single swift over my house tonight though - always a great sight!

I got out again tonight and again felt the benefits, mentally as much as anything. 6 Easy miles, including a section through the Marsh and along the river, where Common Tern was diving for fish. Swerved down the bank and around the 'wilde' ponies and dodged a few inebriated student types, who I'm guessing had just finished their exams. Good to get some miles back in the legs. Weighed myself for first time since Manchester and am exactly the same weight as I was all through my mara training, despite some hefty chocolate sessions. I have been invited to go along to a running club by an old friend. Am a bit unsure as I am a terribly unsociable being. However, it could be good....

I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    You're right, JD, I've not noticed any swallows and swifts either. I hope you're OK for Chester. I'd get some electrolytes down you if you haven't already.

Will - go - what's the worst that could happen? I am a pretty hardcore introvert (I'm not shy or unfriendly but I like my alone time) but even though I don't often train with the club, I've got to know people through races and parkruns and it's nice to have people to talk to when you go off to a race. Also nice when they set up cheer points along the course!

Hazelnut - it's tricky. The problem I have is that I have very thin fat pads so I tend to get discomfort there during a marathon regardless of what shoes I wear (I was never able to tolerate high heels for long either, even when I was young). I may just tape up my feet and suck it up.

Lovely weather this morning so my recovery run was a bit longer than I intended at 7 miles. My muscles definitely know they've had a race but I felt a lot less sluggish than last week, averaging 10:41 miles rather than 11+.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Great run today - out around 5:13 and had bounce in my legs right away so I did 8 miles with 6 at MP. Startled a fox and then was startled by two magpies falling out of a tree right in front of me. I guess they were fighting or something - at first I thought it was a black and white cat as they plopped down and hit the ground before flying off.
    My HM is on Sunday JD.  I hope you are feeling much better in the meantime.

I would give running club a try Will.  I'm not the sociable type either and am crap at general small talk.  I can always talk about a run or a race though.  I'm lucky that I found a group of very friendly people.  We are not an official club so there is no pressure on anyone to do anything really - be it racing, or socializing. Depending on the sort of runs you might do with the club you won't have to / be able to do much chat anyway! (only before and after..)

Good early running Cal - legs are coming back to you nicely for Liverpool then.  Bird fights can be quite spectacular - crows against buzzards for example.

I did my dress rehearsal for this weekend's HM.  I didn't dress up in my race kit (all familiar) but it was more about doing a couple of miles @HMP.  Windy yesterday so I got on the bus to a village about 10 miles away and ran 8 miles and walked the rest home.  The 2 miles @HMP were a bit quick (around 7:10) but I will blame the tailwind on that.  My goal should be at least not to start off any quicker!

Out for a recovery later may go quite late as it is windy again today.