My Last Run

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    6 miles today. Achilles got very pissy during the last mile, but that was my own fault as I had intended to do 5 and then was enjoying it enough to push on for another. That'll teach me.
    Saw a crow trying to stab its way into a can of Red Bull. Mate, you already have wings.
  • Hi again all! It's good to see plenty of action going on.

Well done, Cal, on your scouse pb. An excellent effort in the wind, backed up by all your solid preparation work. Great report too. Hope the crow doesn't chase you next time you're passing.

Sorry about your knee, alipat. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Looks like you're training is going well, Linton. I'm always thirsty, even doing 5K, so use my camelbak for most runs of 10K+. I find it really comfy and I prefer drinking little and often rather than having to wait to get to a drinks station in a race. I might pass out before then!

Very good effort on your Westminster mile, envruk. A tidy time.

Well, I'm pleased to report I am finally out of the doldrums. Mrs Will went away for a couple of nights with the kids so I had a mini-training camp (there was little else to do!) I printed out a base building schedule and whacked it on the fridge. That always seems to do the trick. 4 miles of progression on Tuesday night followed by 5 miles early Wednesday morning got me back in the groove. Then I was up at 5 am yesterday for a 10 miles out on my marathon long run route. It felt good to be challenging myself again and feeling my fitness levels lifting day by day. I got in the zone and thought about future races, pacing strategies and all sorts of other stuff. Heard and saw my first Yellowhammer of the year and feel altogether much better in mind and body. Phew.

I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear it, Will!
  • alipat1990alipat1990 ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you're back in action Will. It is crazy how much better you can feel just after a couple of runs.

Be careful with that achilles Cal! 

So knee issues aside, I was back to the hospital yesterday to see a neurologist for my other issues. I've now got to go back again for an MRI scan and an EEG scan. I'm really hoping I manage to hold onto some of my fitness by the time I come out of the other side of all this. 

• 5 miles last night. Saw a fox, little else.

Went smooth hound fishing afterwards with my dad which resulted in a flipping huge walk along the beach. slightly achey, but reasonably Ok. Saw some diving ducks on the sea but no idea what they were.

Went to Chessington with my other half this week and have slightly tweaked something in my shoulder going on the Cobra ride. Annoying.

Great to hear it Will, glad things are on the up.

Good luck alipat. Hope everything is fine.

Hope the Achilles is Ok Cal. All of my pain so far has been ankle based. Outer sides for the most part.

I have managed  to get the split time function working on my running app now so that will do until I get a Garmin watch. They look great though. 

I now have a dual bottle belt (thanks Cal!) So tomorrow will fill each 300ml bottle with water and have a bottle  of Lucozade to go in the centre pocket.  I feel free! I can theoretically go anywhere!
    Going to try an go out early as possible and run my furthest ever. 

Should be hobbling well tomorrow!
    Have a nice evening.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Linton, there's a parkrun in London called Hoblingwell - always makes me laugh. I'll likely be doing it soon.
    Resting again today - I was hoping to run but decided to be sensible. It'll be cooler tomorrow, too. I went for a walk at 7am and it was already roasting hot.
    Alipat - good you got the scans booked in. Let's hope you find a solution soon.
  • I woke up at 5:30! Possibly because the Blackbirds were so loud.  I considered going back to sleep but thought it looked a lovely morning so thought I'd seize the moment!

It took ages to warm up and get going today, very a achey and tight. I'm not sure if that's because it's been such a busy week with zero rest time, or due to it being so early.

It was lovely being out at that time though, although the normally picturesque town I live in had taken a battering from disgruntled spurs fans, litter everywhere, daft really. 

A few cyclists out and one other runner out for a long pull, due to the length of time between the two times saw her.

I ran a lap or the city wall then up the road to Pegwell park,  and round the Parkrun track.  I continued up to Pegwell bay to a large replica Viking ship, and back home. The water I was carrying was appreciated. 300ml  at mile 6, 300ml at mile 9.

11.76 miles/ 2:00 hours (I said I'd do 2hrs)/relaxed 10:12 min miles.

Furthest I've been so far! Last long'un before my half. Feel Ok at the mo, I think?

Have a nice day.

• HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Back from Corsica (lovely place, can recommend it..) and reading back due to a break from the forum whilst on hols. (partly due to a lack of free WiFi)

Well done on your mile and parkrun times enrvuk.  Seems you have the potential to reduce both some more.

Not good news on the knee alipat.. :/  All the best for your upcoming tests.

Nice 10k LTT.  Careful with the sunburn!  Ask all the questions you like.. I personally hate bottle belts (jiggle-jiggle, slip-slip) and have either a hydration rucksack for longer slower runs or a small flat bottle which tucks into a waist belt such as a flipbelt.  Running loops and stashing a bottle is also a solution. But reading on you already have a solution…  Great long run today.

Thanks for the mara race report Cal - sounds like you were doing really well until the windy bit.  The crow and the can of Red Bull and Hoblingwell just made me smile..

Very pleased that you are feeling better Will.

I managed 2 short runs whilst on Corsica - just to keep the legs moving.  They actually got plenty of cross-training as we did a lot of walking (hiking and touristy stuff) and one day of mtb riding.  

Since being home yesterday lunch I have done 2 runs already - a 5 miler and a 10 miler - both pretty undulating so due to the heat I kept the pace sensible.  Have signed up for a half on late Friday evening to have something to look forward to.
  • My last run, jog home from parkrun nice n' slow, stopped to pet a nice cat. Classic
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Great long run,Linton,when is your HM.Definetly recommend a Garmin watch,comes in very handy.Glad you've worked out your hydration issues,I'm the opposite to you I won't take any water on up to a HM but still need to work out what I need for a marra.

Nice news you're feeling better,Will.

alipat,fingers crossed with the scans.

Glad you enjoyed Corsica,Hazelnut.

13.25 slow run Saturday,very warm and muggy.Woke up Sunday and my knee had stiffened up,I could hardly bend it,been happening on and off for many years but seems ok today,so I'll do circuits tonight.

• enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Quick check in from Manhattan. No runs to report aside from an ad hoc fartlek to get bagels. I expect to put in on 5kgs in a week. 

Great run run report Cal, really gives an insight to the run

Good to see you getting back in the groove Will. 

Hope the knee stays unstiff JD1. 

Good long run Linton. 

Hazel, you’ve definitely hit the ground running since getting home. 

Hoping to run the East River Greenway tomorrow. 
    Always good to take time out of a jog to pet an animal Rundraise.

Hope the knee is ok JD.

Enjoy Manhatten enrvuk.  Hope you can get out for your run today.

6 miles yesterday afternoon. Stupidly thought it would be a good idea to put in 2 miles @HMP as I am running an HM on Friday evening.  Much too warm and muggy for such antics - I was quite a bit off pace and had to take a short walk break as of 2km in as I was overheating.  The steady running before and after was about bearable.  Will have to start switching speedier stuff to early and late again.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Welcome, Rundraise - I am guilty of petting cats - I have a very small flat so unfortunately I don't have my own.

JD - I hope it's nothing serious. :(

Linton - sounds like you're well on track.

enrvuk - enjoy! If you've time, get over to Coney Island and ride the Cyclone. The middle two rows of the back car are the best.

Hazelnut - it's muggy here too, but at least it has cooled down since the weekend.

Well, three days off (really I only missed one running day - Sunday - but it felt like an eternity). Achilles still felt horrible yesterday but I managed to grab an evening appointment with my physio, who then gouged and manipulated me and seemed to think it was just post-marathon tightness. He told me to do a test run today and didn't rule out any of my forthcoming races (even the one tomorrow).
    Good news is the offending tendon was much better on my 4 miler this morning - a little grouchy to start with but it settled quickly. I even did a few strides. I may risk the race. :)
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Hazel, I’m totally with you on the heat. Has to be an early or late start for anything energetic. 

Cal, good to see your achiles is recovering. We went to Coney yesterday as it happens. We are big Warriors fans and I kind of follow the results of the Brooklyn Cyclones baseball team who play there. It was a beautiful day, but I didn’t ride the cyclone this time, I was feeling a little unsettled. I love the ride though. Great tip. I’ll make sure to sit at the back next time I go!

I did get out this morning and ran the Central Park perimeter route, it’s beautiful and has enough undulation to stop you getting too taken away with the view. It was warm but not too hot for a long slow run. It was about 10k in 62 minutes. We went on our second food tour today, so I needed that run!

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

envruk - enjoy your running over in NY,especially Central Park.Haven't been over there since I've had kids,said I will take them over when they're a bit older.

Warm and muggy weather is not great for when you want to up the pace,Hazelnut.

Cal - glad your achilles is feeling better,always a worry when it plays up.

No running for me,hurt my back slamming medicine balls against a wall during circuit training,at least my knee is ok!

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    enrvuk - with older coasters (and Cyclone is one of the oldest) that can be a bit rough, it's best to avoid sitting over the wheels. Hence the middle benches of the car. You still get a lively ride, but without quite so much jarring. Wooden coasters also have moods, I find - you'll get a completely different ride on one from one day to the next, depending on weather, how much it has warmed up (a coaster will always run faster later in the day, rather like us),  when the wheels were last changed and so forth. First time I rode the Cyclone in 1998 I was a bit underwhelmed, but then I went back in 2001 and it was flying. (If you hadn't deduced, rollercoasters are my other hobby!)
    I have 2 cats that need lots of petting.. :)

Good luck for your race this evening Cal. 

Seems you are enjoying NY enrvuk.

Be careful with yourself JD - good news on the knee though.

6 and a half miles for me with my group yesterday evening.  Was warm and muggy this time - we set off at 7pm which had the advantage of falling temperatures as we went along.  No-one felt like upping the pace fortunately and the water troughs were very welcome for refreshments.  Legs felt like lead initially - pretty sure that was mostly due to the heat and humidity - seem to be suffering from that more as I get older. 

Rest day today.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hazelnut, I definitely suffer more in heat. Of course being menopausal, my internal thermostat is a bit wonky. On the plus side, I don't feel so cold in the winter, so there's that.

Did 3 miles this morning to shake things out. I have a few sore spots - left hammy is very grumpy which may or may not be due to all the squats and lunges I did in pilates on Monday (that hammy is iffy anyway).
  • Glad you had a good holiday in Corsica Hazlenut, it is supposed to be lovely.

Nice cat spot Rudraise, we have a rescue cat called Coco who is a bit of a diva now.

Great long run JD1. Agreed it is tough in this heat.

Glad you're having a good holiday envruk. I've never been to Manhattan, I've been to th florida keys and loved it. Caught some sharks, but put them back carefully .

Good luck in you're race Cal!

Bit gloomy today. Went out for the first time last nice since my 11.75 miler and it was a round trip to hobblingwell.  4 miles and I was absolutely done, and that was at 11min mile pace! Sore.

I knew I'd ache a bit but didn't realise it would batter me that much.

Half mara next sun so going to take it easy.

Plans seem to vary hugely on last week long run, some suggest 5 mile others all the way to 12. Bit nervous now. 

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Did the trail race - it was just as tough as last time but in a way worse as I knew what was coming! I was about a minute slower than the May race which I expected due to post-marathon fatigue. Achilles was a bit sore but seems to have eased now. Deffo going to take it easy at the half on Sunday!
  • Just a quick drop in from me, so I'll say 'nice work' to everyone running. Hectic but good times this end.

A couple of short runs at the weekend put me on 26 miles for the week - just what I was aiming for. Only been out once so far this week, due to busy-ness, but felt global running day had to be obeyed/celebrated. 4.5 easy miles out on the wrong side of the tracks. Enjoyed it and am just running for the sake of it at the mo.

I run, therefore I am.
    I celebrated global running day witth a rest day :D

Well done on your trail race Cal.

I would tend towards the shorter distance LTT if the 11.75 were tough.

4 miles at around recovery pace today.  Cycled to the end of tomorrow's HM to drop my bike there, jogged the 4 miles to the station, did some shopping and then 5mins on the bus home.  Good multitasking outing.

Much cooler today, over 25 degrees yesterday and around 12 today
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Got woken up in the small ours by dickhead tenant downstairs buzzing my door because he'd locked himself out (again). Then slipped on the steps trying to get to my entryphone and really hurt my foot. I am furious. (No, I didn't let him in because I would have punched his lights out if I'd gone down). Took me three hours to get back to sleep, largely because I had to ice my foot and took the time to send a pissy email to his landlord.
    I did a slow 3 mile recovery this morning - I can run, but my foot hurts a bit. I'm not happy.

• Morning MLRERS! 

That sucks, Cal. Luckily my neighbours comprise lots of cute kids who pander me for snacks as they run in and out of the houses, but don't ring the doorbell in the early hours. Hope the foot is better soon.

Corsica sounds nice, Hazelnut. Must put that on the list. We're off to the Azores in August.

Take it easy before your half Linton. Better to do that than crock yourself and you won't make any fitness gains at this stage by banging out big mileage.

Hope your back is improving, JD1, and you're back out running.

So, 2 months on from Manchester and it's been a funny old time. Initially, I had motivation issues, just not really being bothered to get my trainers back on. Then I entered a low spell generally, which thankfully didn't last too long. Following that I started worrying about not running enough! I was putting unnecessary pressure on myself. Sometimes family, work and life do just need attention and rightly so. Having put a more rational philosophy in place I've concluded that I can just enjoy my running, whenever it happens, for the next 4-5 weeks. After that I'll be starting my next phase of marathon training, for Brecon, and it'll be nose to the grindstone again. For now I shall just enjoy lacing up and keeping a bit of base fitness. I think I probably did underestimate what a marathon and all the prep takes out of you - you need a good break afterwards.

I really enjoyed my run this morning. I was up pretty early and strapped the camelbak on and a belt full of jelly beans. I do like my fuel :) I started with a couple of miles on the road before heading out across the marsh. The smell, with all the lush foliage and a good downpour last night, was wonderful. The cows are back grazing and with calves so I detoured around them at a good distance. I loved running through the overgrown path at the back of the marsh, getting slapped in the face by wet, overhanging branches and getting the odd sting on the shin to keep me on my toes. It was well before Parkrun time so I did a bit of a reverse route of the Colney course and backed down and then up a surprisingly clean dog sh*t hill. A bouncy Stoat shot out of the undergrowth at a he'll of a lick before disappearing. Then a couple of laps of the UEA lake, where the Great Crested Grebe pair were leading their 4 stripey chicks along. The Common Tern was on its nest on the tern platform and fledgling Great Tits were flitting through the trees. Miles 7-8 were a bit tricky but jelly beans sorted that out and I headed back through the woods and along the river. The last couple of miles back on the road went well, with the final and 12th mile being my fastest. Loved it.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about that,Cal,hope your foot isn't too bad.Next time you see him give him an ear full.Well done with the trail race as well.

Good luck with your HM,Hazelnut.

Fantastic running,Will,what a lovely run.I'll have to start prepping for my marra soon,just need to start finding the motivation.

Still no running for me,back has been sore and didn't want to make it worse.
    Hopefully I can get out tomorrow.My running has been very inconsistent the last few weeks,so hopefully soon I can get some decent training in.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    JD, I emailed his landlord (he and I are two of the five co-freeholders so we're in touch) so he'll have had a warning. Meanwhile I will be keeping my entryphone off the hook at night.
    When I stumbled I landed on the top of my toes so that's where they are sore. I may have slightly sprained the foot. I managed to parkrun on it today (Orpington was today's location - a bit of a schlep but it needed ticking off - which is a mostly grass course with some inclines but no real hills) but fatigue and wind (weather, not me) meant I ran a rather uninspiring 27:01. Not sure how I'll get through a trail half tomorrow. Slowly, I expect.
    Achilles was sore too. Sigh. Still, it was a small field so I was 7th lady, which is something I guess.

Will, glad to hear you're on the up again. Sounds like a lovely run.
    I heard a bird in Orpington that I don't hear where I live - don't know if you'd be able to tell what it was. It had a call that was four long notes and two short ones at a slightly higher pitch. I didn't see it so I can't tell you what it looked like.
  • Hope your foot is on the mend Cal, having thoughtless neighbours is the worst. Getting woken up at night is damn annoying.

I hope your back gets better JD, I got hit by a big wave on a pier that threw me into some railings about 10 years ago, and my back has  never been the same since. It's OK, but I have to constantly remember when lifting anything heavy, to lift correctly. 

Great run Will, and lovely description. It sounds a very pleasant route.  Early morning is definitely the most inspiring time to run. Everything seems so quiet and fresh.

I've normally been pretty upbeat posting here but just absolute sh1te this week, it honestly worries me how much I've fallen off. Just last week I was loving running, God only knows what's happened since then.

It has not been a great week personally or at work (I won't bore anyone) but it's knocked  the wind out of my sails well and truly.  The 11.75 miler I did last week has fully bought back my ankle pain. I did an absolutely woeful 4 miles on Tuesday, that felt more like 10, and hurt like hell.

I went out for a 3 miler at 8.5 min miles last night that felt that was all I had in the tank yet my park run pace is 7 min miles. Weary and sore when  I got in.

Went to do another 3 this morning, hoping that if I keep the legs ticking over thing may improve, and got one(!!!!) mile from home I was so stiff and sore and tired I just turned round and jogged home. I have NEVER done that. Awful, just felt exhausted.

Unless something drastically  improves I'm going to have to drop out of next weekend's run.
    I was on form the last month, loving it, and knocking out 2 solid runs and a sub 50min 10k most weeks, now I can barely run to the end of the road.

• enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Happy weekend all

Cal, thanks for the roller coaster tips. I used to love theme park rides generally, but as I get older a bit of motion sickness is creeping in :-(  My sister is planning a trip to Orlando next year and I'd normally jump to go, I loved it 13 years ago, but I doubt I'd take full advantage.  Glad to see that you managed the Parkrun after your annoying neighbour incident. Good luck for the trail trial and the ankle.

Good running and writing Will, you're right back in it now (luckily not the dog shit). Sounds like a lovely run this morning.

JD1, good luck with tomorrow, hope you get out there. 

Hazel, nice effort, 12c definitely more my temp as well.

Linton, really sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations. Sounds like you have been pushing it quite hard. I know it's frustrating but a few days full rest could be what you need? Maybe give it to Wednesday and see if you can do a light session. Your fitness level will be there anyway. 

Back from a fab trip to NY, my parents first visit. Only one run, but a lot of food (tours), baseball, museums, bars, shows and what not! 

Did the Oak Hill Park parkrun today. Not hilly at all and a pleasant enough course. I was aiming for 26 mins as it's been a lazy week. I ran 50 metres and realised a lace was undone. Idiot! Those few seconds counted as my official time was 26:02. The drizzle didn't help either.
    Your neighbour is a complete idiot Cal.  Hope your foot is generally ok.  Good luck for the trail half tomorrow.

Great run Will.  Love the way you look around yourself.  It sounds like you are getting your head around where your running needs to go in the next weeks.

Good luck for your run tomorrow JD - hope your back lets you do it.

Sorry that you are struggling LTT.  Hope your work and personal situations improve quickly.   Don't worry about your race yet - take some time off - if you do go out then take it easy, there is nothing you can do to help by running too hard now.  We all can have a failed run now and then - shut yours firmly away and forget about it.  

Glad you enjoyed your trip enrvuk.  Well done on your parkrun.  Without the lace you would have been under your goal time.

My HM went well: 1:38:46 for 8th lady and 2nd in my age group.  A course PB of 1min and 4 seconds and my 2nd fastest HM.  Pleased with that considering that it was a night race and pretty windy.  Managed for once not to set off like an idiot but did constant pacing for 10k in 45:20ish.  The evil hill at halfway cost me a bit of time and certainly physical strength with my pace dropping on the second half but I felt good mentally and was able to keep up the effort to the end without whinging too much.  Overtaking other runners who are fading more is always a bonus - in particular if they are rival ladies.  Other than the wind good conditions, cool and not too humid.  Did get rained on cycling home but that didn't matter.

Must have done a decent job as my legs are pretty grumbly today - plodded around a 4 mile and a bit recovery run earlier.  
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Linton, we all have bad weeks. Sorry it's happening to you. Take a couple of days off to refresh and see how you feel. Not having the best week either, but in my case I know it's because I've not allowed myself to recover properly from Liverpool.

Hazelnut, that's brilliant, well done!

enrvuk - Oak Hill is on my list (it's my last O in London!) We'll have to meet at a parkrun one day. I'm deffo doing Hackney on August 10th (I say deffo - obviously there's always the chance I could be ill or injured, but hopefully not) as I'm going to do the Pride Run in Victoria Park afterwards. Doing a 5K and a 10K in the same morning might seem daft but I did the new year's day parkrun double so why not.
    I'll go to Orlando with your sister if you don't want to! :D