My Last Run

Comments

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Good luck in Liverpool,Cal,hope you have a good one.

Just over ten easy miles this morning,felt okish.Very warm and muggy.
    Spotted a couple of pied wagtails,a buzzard swooped about twenty feet in front of me,which was nice to see.But the best of all was watching three male ducks trying it on with a female.They kept submerging her for long periods of time,I thought she was going to drown.So I started clapping loudly to try and distract them,which worked a treat.She eventually went off with just one.Very rough and ready in the world of duck love.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Quick drop in from Corsica to wish Cal good luck for Liverpool.  

Will, hope you are feeling better soon.

No running here yet but have found a decent route to try out tomorrow. 

Have a good weekend everyone.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks! Going to get an early night.
    JD, ducks are pretty nasty when it comes to sex. They'll force themselves on females, males or even different duck breeds when they get their dander up. Here's a photo I took several years ago in Paris of a male trying it on with a much bigger barbary female.
  • Best of luck everyone, have a great weekend, good luck in races.

Well done on your 10miles JD. A long way in my mind!

Have a great holiday Hazlenut,  It'll be strange for me on my next holiday doing a decent amount of running, rather than drinking rum all day, but it'll be good!

I hope things are heading in the right direction Will, I' be been there a few times in my life, sending support.

Still chipping away, 5 and 6.2 milers, not much to report. Definitely bored of "the loop" round where I live, need to start driving out to different places, maybe some Forrest trail.

Got three choices for tomorrow (I must do 10 miles according to my plan.)

1. Ten miles on my own, probably along the seafront.
    2. A 700 plus entrant 10k I've fancied, then short rest and 3.8 mile light jog
    3. The aforementioned very hilly 10 miler (I think I've talked myself out of this).

I tried a race time predictor for half marathon and with my 21:49/48:34/92:34 for 5k/10k/10miles it predicted well under 2 hours. I don't even think I could run that far!! I'm wrecked after 10 miles, it seems a bloody long way.  A marathon seems like swimming to the USA.

Enjoy your weekend, at least it's a lot cooler then was predicted earlier in the week.
  • Oh! And good luck with the race Cal and slips with the knee.
  • > @LintonTravelTavern said:
    > Oh! And good luck with the race Cal and slips with the knee.

Slips should read alipat!, bloody autocorrect! My edit function still doesn't work.
  • Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    Good luck in Liverpool, Cal. Have a great race!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Just a quickie as my mate's just dishing up dinner. Liverpool - had a really good race until the later stages so was in PB range, but the last four miles down the Mersey had the mother of all headwinds. It was like running into a wall. Finished in 4:14:25 - close to my Vienna time - so still quite pleased. It's an 8 minute course best. 
    Right, time to eat.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Well done,Cal,excellent result,nothing worse than a strong headwind.That's a massive course PB,great running.
    Congratulations Cal. Great course PB. Shame about the wind, definitely something you can do without at the end of a mara.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    edited May 27
    Alipat sorry to hear about your injury woes. The more you get into running the more frustrating they become. I competed and trained for sports 7 days a week in my teens (rugby, football and athletics) and never missed an event through injury. Nowadays brushing my teeth seems to be a hazard! Good luck pre-Derby.
    Linton what did you decide? I guess before stepping up to Marathon you’d be doing some longer, slower runs to prepare. The thought of a half marathon was ridiculous to me in January, but by the end of March I ran(ish) one.
    Will, have you managed to get out there or book your next race yet?
    Hazel, running in Corsica, very nice! Hope your route was good and not too hot.
    Cal, brilliant time and huge course PB! So annoying to have a potential PB blown away, but that’s a great run and you know you’ve got a PB in you if the conditions are sympathetic. There should be a rule that any headwind is near the start of the race :-) Looking forward to the full report. 
    JD1, good nature watch and 10 miles in muggy weather can never truly be ‘easy’.
    Couple of runs for me. I finally got to the Hackney Marshes Parkrun. It is indeed very flat, making the relatively small incline at places like Pymmes quite noticeable. There is one small section that is a little gravelly, but it’s definitely a PB course.  I’d recommend it to anyone who fancies a fast time. Parking is easy, but public transport is a bit tricky.
    Having started too slow at Pymmes I ran harder at the start of this one and first 1k was about 4:35. I must admit I was holding on for most of the last 2.5k. I could tell by the home stretch I was on for my main goal for the year of <25m for a 5k and ran slightly faster (I wouldn’t call it sprinting) I stopped when I passed a guy holding what I thought was a stopwatch, but realised as two people went past me that I’d stopped too early and had to go another 15-20 metres. Luckily for me I still clocked 24:48, so job done. 
    Yesterday was the Vitality Westminster Mile, we had a group of around 15 of us, as a close friend is one of the organisers. 2 years ago I ran this in 7:54, so even on tired legs I was hopeful of beating that.  I really struggle with the fact I can’t warm up for this as there is nowhere to run when you’re in the pen beforehand. As a result I struggled quite early and actually felt better at the end than I did  at half way. I managed 7:23. My brother in law managed 6:48 and my nephew who is 14 surprised us all by running 6:43! He definitely has some ability!
  • alipat1990alipat1990 ✭✭✭
    Well done Cal. I've heard a few people say that the conditions were far from ideal up there so fair play on battling through.

So after a few days of suffering no pain in my knee I decided to lace up and hit the roads for what felt like the first time in forever. I was playing it by ear of course, but the ultimate goal was to try and get 10 miles in if the knee behaved. I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable things felt and the miles were flying by until just after mile 6. I felt/heard a crunch in my knee and that put an end to today's adventure and I reckon my chances of running Derby are now officially shot. I am going to look into deferring, get another trip to the physio booked in and ultimately make a complete reset. 
  • Well done Cal! That is an awesome time, especially into that headwind.
    I'm glad it was a good trip.

Sorry about the knee injury alipat, that sucks, I do hope it improves.

Well done enrvuk! Good Park runs and mile. I must start doing a few timed miles.

My race day was fun but mediocre result wise. Decided on the local 10k plus a bit more, mainly due to not fancying the long drive to the 10 miler (Turned out it was a pretty hefty drive).

Turned up at folkstone quite early to register.  It was along the seafront and would be into a stiff headwind.  It was a slog out to the halfway point, I turned and tried to make up the time on the way back, but i'd lost too much on the way out, and only managed 141/581 and a time of 49:23 which I was disappointed with, given how flat it was. still, sub 8 minutes miles, so better than nothing.

After stopping for perhaps 5/10 minutes I set off on a four miler, along the seafront the other way, up some steps, through an estate, along a big pier, back along the seafront an finishing up back on the pier,  so I got my 10 miles in! 88 minutes combined. Some of the people walking back from the race were looking at me a bit weird but, gotta get those 10 miles in!! 

My ankle was bad again the next day, but hoping it'll be ok soon. I've been putting frozen peas in it. Also, so much sunburn, another lesson learned.

5, 6 and 11 miles this to do this week, half marathon in 3 weeks now, do hope I can get round. 

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Linton, don't beat yourself up, a headwind is no fun at all (I should know!!) I got a bit of a sunburn in Liverpool too - it was cloudy until we hit the Mersey but then the sun came out. I hadn't expected that so neglected the sun lotion.

alipat, I'm really sorry to hear that. :(

Well done on your parkrun and mile, enrvuk - Hackney is one I've not got to yet.

4 miles recovery run for me today. Rather stiff but nothing was screaming at me, so that's a plus. A bit of grumbling from the achilles but I'd be surprised if it wasn't a bit sore following a marathon. Enjoyed it anyway. I used to wait until Thursday to run but I seem to be getting a bit better at recovering, which is a plus.
    Less pleased to see that I've put on several pounds, so those will have to go. Ideally I'd like to get to 10 stone or less in time for Yorkshire - I've been hovering around 10'4 or 5 much of this year but hit 10'8 this morning. I did eat a lot of crap at my mate's on top of the pre-run carb up, so it's my own fault, really.

So a bit of a longer account of Liverpool. Weather was warmish (15) but drizzly and with a breeze, which helped me keep cool. I was determined not to start too fast but still managed to go through the first mile in 9:20 which is about 10 seconds quicker than it should have been.
    The route up to the football grounds has been changed this year so rather than a gentle climb followed by one sharp hill post-Anfield, there was a bigger hill at mile 3. This was preceeded by two foot tunnels under a road, one with lights and music, which was cool, and the other smelling of piss, which was less so.
    I still clocked 9:29 for the hilly mile and was feeling strong, but I'd expect to at that stage of a marathon.
    The next few miles were a bit twisty turny as we took some back streets to Everton and then circled the ground there before hitting Stanley Park, which is as pleasant as always.
    Then it was back down to the city centre on the same roads. I ran this bit a little faster to take advantage of the elevation loss, but didn't go mad, as I knew the biggest hill was yet to come and didn't want to trash my quads (a mistake I'd made in previous years).
    At this point the course reverted to normal - through the city centre, past the Cavern and the Cilla statue and then back along the front past the Albert Docks and the start/finish. As the half marathoners go off an hour before the marathon (something I've never understood, it should be the other way around!) they were all there with their medals, the bastards. I ignored them and high fived the kids at the side of the road and concentrated on enjoying myself.
    It was a bit windy on this stretch but not too bad, and I was still feeling good as I ascended towards the Chinatown gate (a long incline but not steep).
    After this came the course's biggest hill - 35m of climb in mile 12. In previous years this did for me, but I didn't struggle this time. I ran a 9:43 mile here so I was only 10 seconds or so off target pace and had banked plenty of time early on.
    We then entered the second park (Prince's Park I think) and from there to Sefton Park, where we spend quite a lot of time aside from a quick jaunt up to Penny Lane (where they play Penny Lane on repeat, which I can't think would be much fun for the volunteers there). The parks are nice and shady which is a godsend on sunny days but it was still rather grey and breezy this time.
    I was making good time aside from a 9:55 at mile 16 which I can't really explain as I was feeling pretty good still.
    I think, even though I was feeling fine, my postural muscles were starting to get a bit knackered so at 20 miles I began to slow slightly. Even so, at this point in the race I felt a hell of a lot better than I had in previous years.
    But then, at 22, we hit the Mersey and that nice breeze became a wall of wind. This is a long stretch even if conditions are favourable. I'm not sure which is worse - the heat and dead air of last year or the wind of this year - but it was all a slog. The Mersey looked particularly choppy. One of the other runners told me her pacer reckoned it was the worst headwind he'd ever experienced and I don't doubt it. I ran The Big Half in very windy conditions but those were strong gusts, whereas this was just relentless. My pace dropped to 10:26, then 10:52 and then I pulled it back a bit for a 10:25 but I knew my chance of a PB was gone. It would have been tight anyway, but with the wind as it was, I just settled down and concentrated on getting to the end.
    The final mile veers away from the Mersey and I was very happy to be away for that wind. I ran a 10:11 here and then put in a little burst for the finish.
    Helped myself to drinks and snacks, staggered into the arena to collect my bag and T-shirt, cleaned myself up with a wet wipe and changed into dry stuff (all this was actually more painful and difficult than the last mile of the race!) and then found my friend and got my Encore medal.
    I think this will be my last Liverpool for a while - it's a good race and enjoyable but not a PB course, plus I've done it three times now and I should probably try something new for next year.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Great running,envruk,really hard trying to run fast when you haven't warmed up properly.That's a massive difference from last year.I need a good warm up if running a 5k or 10k.

Really sorry about your knee,alipat,obviously more serious than first thought.Fingers crossed you can get to the bottom of it.

That's a good time,Linton,especially running into a headwind,well done.

Fantastic report,Cal,felt like I was running with you.That was definitely a pig of a headwind.I grew up near Penny Lane,used to spend a small fortune at the record shop on Penny  Lane.Might give  Liverpool a go next year.

Been working nights and with my girls being off I haven't got much sleep over the last few days,so kept my runs at easy pace,just 5 this afternoon.

• That's a great report Cal, sound pretty arduous  but an awesome achievement.

How do you get the accurate split times per mile? That must be handy. I try and work it out while running, from my stopwatch, but it's a pain. Well done again.

Did my required 6 miles last night at a easy pace and felt Ok so added another mile to make it 7.

Quick couple of questions if Ok?

1. Would you take on calories/gels at half marathon distance? Or would my normal porridge and fruit a few hours before be plenty. I've never used them before.

2.How do you guys hydrate on longer training runs? 10 mile and over.

I could create a 5 mile loop back home for a drink , neck water, then carry on the same loop again.

I have no way of carrying it.

Maybe I could go out in my car and stash a drink in a bush or something, mid way.

Just wondered if you guys have a technique, it's warming up now and damn I was parched after the 7 miler.

Have a great day.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Linton - my Garmin. Get yourself one, it's a godsend.

1. No, unless you are very slow you won't be running long enough to exhaust your glycogen stores. Your porridge is all the energy you need.

2. I have a belt with two small bottles on it. You can also buy bottle vests.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    6 miles today. Achilles got very pissy during the last mile, but that was my own fault as I had intended to do 5 and then was enjoying it enough to push on for another. That'll teach me.
    Saw a crow trying to stab its way into a can of Red Bull. Mate, you already have wings.
  • Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    Hi again all! It's good to see plenty of action going on.

Well done, Cal, on your scouse pb. An excellent effort in the wind, backed up by all your solid preparation work. Great report too. Hope the crow doesn't chase you next time you're passing.

Sorry about your knee, alipat. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Looks like you're training is going well, Linton. I'm always thirsty, even doing 5K, so use my camelbak for most runs of 10K+. I find it really comfy and I prefer drinking little and often rather than having to wait to get to a drinks station in a race. I might pass out before then!

Very good effort on your Westminster mile, envruk. A tidy time.

Well, I'm pleased to report I am finally out of the doldrums. Mrs Will went away for a couple of nights with the kids so I had a mini-training camp (there was little else to do!) I printed out a base building schedule and whacked it on the fridge. That always seems to do the trick. 4 miles of progression on Tuesday night followed by 5 miles early Wednesday morning got me back in the groove. Then I was up at 5 am yesterday for a 10 miles out on my marathon long run route. It felt good to be challenging myself again and feeling my fitness levels lifting day by day. I got in the zone and thought about future races, pacing strategies and all sorts of other stuff. Heard and saw my first Yellowhammer of the year and feel altogether much better in mind and body. Phew.

I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear it, Will!
  • alipat1990alipat1990 ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you're back in action Will. It is crazy how much better you can feel just after a couple of runs.

Be careful with that achilles Cal! 

So knee issues aside, I was back to the hospital yesterday to see a neurologist for my other issues. I've now got to go back again for an MRI scan and an EEG scan. I'm really hoping I manage to hold onto some of my fitness by the time I come out of the other side of all this. 

• 5 miles last night. Saw a fox, little else.

Went smooth hound fishing afterwards with my dad which resulted in a flipping huge walk along the beach. slightly achey, but reasonably Ok. Saw some diving ducks on the sea but no idea what they were.

Went to Chessington with my other half this week and have slightly tweaked something in my shoulder going on the Cobra ride. Annoying.

Great to hear it Will, glad things are on the up.

Good luck alipat. Hope everything is fine.

Hope the Achilles is Ok Cal. All of my pain so far has been ankle based. Outer sides for the most part.

I have managed  to get the split time function working on my running app now so that will do until I get a Garmin watch. They look great though. 

I now have a dual bottle belt (thanks Cal!) So tomorrow will fill each 300ml bottle with water and have a bottle  of Lucozade to go in the centre pocket.  I feel free! I can theoretically go anywhere!
    Going to try an go out early as possible and run my furthest ever. 

Should be hobbling well tomorrow!
    Have a nice evening.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Linton, there's a parkrun in London called Hoblingwell - always makes me laugh. I'll likely be doing it soon.
    Resting again today - I was hoping to run but decided to be sensible. It'll be cooler tomorrow, too. I went for a walk at 7am and it was already roasting hot.
    Alipat - good you got the scans booked in. Let's hope you find a solution soon.
  • I woke up at 5:30! Possibly because the Blackbirds were so loud.  I considered going back to sleep but thought it looked a lovely morning so thought I'd seize the moment!

It took ages to warm up and get going today, very a achey and tight. I'm not sure if that's because it's been such a busy week with zero rest time, or due to it being so early.

It was lovely being out at that time though, although the normally picturesque town I live in had taken a battering from disgruntled spurs fans, litter everywhere, daft really. 

A few cyclists out and one other runner out for a long pull, due to the length of time between the two times saw her.

I ran a lap or the city wall then up the road to Pegwell park,  and round the Parkrun track.  I continued up to Pegwell bay to a large replica Viking ship, and back home. The water I was carrying was appreciated. 300ml  at mile 6, 300ml at mile 9.

11.76 miles/ 2:00 hours (I said I'd do 2hrs)/relaxed 10:12 min miles.

Furthest I've been so far! Last long'un before my half. Feel Ok at the mo, I think?

Have a nice day.

Back from Corsica (lovely place, can recommend it..) and reading back due to a break from the forum whilst on hols. (partly due to a lack of free WiFi)

Well done on your mile and parkrun times enrvuk.  Seems you have the potential to reduce both some more.

Not good news on the knee alipat.. :/  All the best for your upcoming tests.

Nice 10k LTT.  Careful with the sunburn!  Ask all the questions you like.. I personally hate bottle belts (jiggle-jiggle, slip-slip) and have either a hydration rucksack for longer slower runs or a small flat bottle which tucks into a waist belt such as a flipbelt.  Running loops and stashing a bottle is also a solution. But reading on you already have a solution…  Great long run today.

Thanks for the mara race report Cal - sounds like you were doing really well until the windy bit.  The crow and the can of Red Bull and Hoblingwell just made me smile..

Very pleased that you are feeling better Will.

I managed 2 short runs whilst on Corsica - just to keep the legs moving.  They actually got plenty of cross-training as we did a lot of walking (hiking and touristy stuff) and one day of mtb riding.  

Since being home yesterday lunch I have done 2 runs already - a 5 miler and a 10 miler - both pretty undulating so due to the heat I kept the pace sensible.  Have signed up for a half on late Friday evening to have something to look forward to.
  • RundraiseRundraise ✭✭
    My last run, jog home from parkrun nice n' slow, stopped to pet a nice cat. Classic
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Great long run,Linton,when is your HM.Definetly recommend a Garmin watch,comes in very handy.Glad you've worked out your hydration issues,I'm the opposite to you I won't take any water on up to a HM but still need to work out what I need for a marra.

Nice news you're feeling better,Will.

alipat,fingers crossed with the scans.

Glad you enjoyed Corsica,Hazelnut.

13.25 slow run Saturday,very warm and muggy.Woke up Sunday and my knee had stiffened up,I could hardly bend it,been happening on and off for many years but seems ok today,so I'll do circuits tonight.

• enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Quick check in from Manhattan. No runs to report aside from an ad hoc fartlek to get bagels. I expect to put in on 5kgs in a week. 

Great run run report Cal, really gives an insight to the run

Good to see you getting back in the groove Will. 

Hope the knee stays unstiff JD1. 

Good long run Linton. 

Hazel, you’ve definitely hit the ground running since getting home. 

Hoping to run the East River Greenway tomorrow. 
    Always good to take time out of a jog to pet an animal Rundraise.

Hope the knee is ok JD.

Enjoy Manhatten enrvuk.  Hope you can get out for your run today.

6 miles yesterday afternoon. Stupidly thought it would be a good idea to put in 2 miles @HMP as I am running an HM on Friday evening.  Much too warm and muggy for such antics - I was quite a bit off pace and had to take a short walk break as of 2km in as I was overheating.  The steady running before and after was about bearable.  Will have to start switching speedier stuff to early and late again.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Welcome, Rundraise - I am guilty of petting cats - I have a very small flat so unfortunately I don't have my own.

JD - I hope it's nothing serious. :(

Linton - sounds like you're well on track.

enrvuk - enjoy! If you've time, get over to Coney Island and ride the Cyclone. The middle two rows of the back car are the best.

Hazelnut - it's muggy here too, but at least it has cooled down since the weekend.

Well, three days off (really I only missed one running day - Sunday - but it felt like an eternity). Achilles still felt horrible yesterday but I managed to grab an evening appointment with my physio, who then gouged and manipulated me and seemed to think it was just post-marathon tightness. He told me to do a test run today and didn't rule out any of my forthcoming races (even the one tomorrow).
    Good news is the offending tendon was much better on my 4 miler this morning - a little grouchy to start with but it settled quickly. I even did a few strides. I may risk the race. :)