My Last Run

Comments

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

I didn't realise your foot was that bad,Cal.You definitely don't want to lose a toe they come in handy for runners!Glad you enjoyed your relay.

Hazelnut,enjoying a coffee en route is my type of run.

Six days of consecutive running is good going,enrvuk,enjoy your parkrun.

Linton,leave a pair of old trainers out while they're filming,we'll know it's your house then!Enjoy your fishing and shooting.

Hi Will,well done with bagging a place for the London marathon.With Brecon and London you'll be busy.

• Thanks very much for the welcome and advice everyone. I actually went for an easy 5 miles today, back of the knee was tight to start with but no pain, and eased off after a bit. Lovely day for running and i went along an old route of mine with green countryside everywhere and not a car in sight. Heard quite a few birds but no idea what they were, did see a couple of swans though.

Great that you've got a VLM place Will! I'm in the ballot for the umpteenth time, so fingers crossed.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Linton, how does the LocationX3 thing work? Is yours the house for sale?
    Good running everywhere by everyone. It's got busier on the thread. And hello again Will.
    8.25miles in 1hr02 this evening. Made the effort to get back to more of a pace. Beautiful sunny evening so went one side of the river Ouse, through the city and came back on the other river bank. No other runners which was a surprise. There's a van parked in the road with the livery "Lee Curtis plumber". I really want to write "Jamie" on it.
  • Hi JT, yeah I'm selling my house, so that my other half can sell hers and we can buy one together (We both have previous relationships).  The programme is doing an episode based in Canterbury and I was approached by the estate agent.

Apparently the buyers look at 3 then hopefully bid on one. They didn't bid on ANY so a waste of time really, sigh.  That's Iife I guess.  Least I got a good run out of it! I should have left some running trainers out! Mine is the one in Chartham overlooking fields with a little red shed!

Fishing was good, but clay shooting I couldn't hit a cow's arse with a shovel. (Just went to spend time with my dad).

Good pace JT141, lovely to have a river to run next to.  Hard to not stop and look for fish (for me!).

Nice run Mollie good luck with knee.  The "running guy" at work how I was finding it all 5 months in.  I said every hobby I've tried I've been able to focus fully on improvement.  Running I've had to focus on not getting injured/recovering from injury! Certainly a frustrating sport at times, but I'm very much enjoying it.

Hi Will awesome news about the marathon place! I would love to do London marathon one day.  I'm probably better aiming for a non sponsorship marathon first though.

Glad you foots improving Cal, a relay sounds great fun!  I'd love to join our local running club but I work two evenings a week and, yep, it's their training times.

There is one single, solitary, running event a year in the small town I live in. A 10k. It's a bit of a big thing locally and competative! I said I'd give it a go.  However after last weekends  half and the other day's 9 miler I do feel a bit weary.  May give it a go to show support and learn the course.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Relays are fun. Foot's not really improving, though. It eases when I run but goes back to hurting again when I walk on it after. The achilles is still pretty tetchy.
    I actually don't train with my club but I've got to know folks there through doing parkruns and races and the odd volunteering stint (I also collate the club results each week).
    Some of them were going to Richmond parkrun today so I put my foot/achilles worries to once side and went along to. It turned out to be hot, (by my standards at least) so I pottered around and came in just under 28 minutes. I decided then that I would blow off the 10 mile race tomorrow. I wouldn't do well in the heat so there's no point risking my injuries.
    I think mine were a bit grumpy today as I met an American friend yesterday who was visiting London on a European retirement tour and we had sushi and then went to Harrods for macaroons and ended up walking around Hyde Park. I walked about 8 miles during all that which is not exactly putting my feet up.
    I did see a lot of waterfowl on the Serpentine - swans, Canadian geese, greylags, Egyptians and a lot of herons. One guy was feeding the herons tinned fish - there were about six of them gathered around him which is more herons than I've seen in one spot. A couple appeared to be juveniles as their head markings weren't as distinct.
    I also saw some waterfowl I didn't recognise. I figured they were likely a shelduck of some sort as they were about the size of the Egyptians but they were mostly monochrome with white and black stripey heads. The only thing I could find online that looked close to that was barnacle geese but these seemed to have a couple of black stripes by the eyes which seemed different from the barnacle goose pictures. Any ideas, Will?

• Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    edited June 22
    There'll be your Bar-Headed Goose, Cal, an attractive ornamental. Never heard of people feeding Herons out of tins! Weirdness. I get the feeling you're not very good at putting your feet up, Cal.

That is a hell of a lick for 8+ miles, JT. 

A couple of 5K efforts to report from me. A slow bloated one last night, post roast chicken and a pacier one this morning in the cemetery. A Muntjac was barking away in there last night, making a right racket. Didn't spot it today.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks Will, that's what they were, indeed.
  • Nice one :)
    I run, therefore I am.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Nice and busy on here at the moment.

Hope you had a nice parkrun envruk.

Interesting cross training LTT.  Maybe those with river runs should indulge in fishspotting for you then.

Well done on the VLM place Will.

Bird watching on the run is quite popular on here Mollie.  Good news on the knee.

Swift running JT. How do you pronounce Ouse out of interest?  More like ooze or rather like house? A matter for debate further south though a different river.

Likely a good call on the 10 miler Cal. Sound's like you had a nice meet up with your friend.

2 runs to report: a 5 and a bit mile recovery yesterday afternoon. Was feeling a bit down and unmotivated to work out a route so I did several laps of a field practicing staying at a consistent easy pace.   Lots of nice wild(ish) flowers along the edges.  Today slightly over HM distance with OH on the first 4 miles so a slowish start. Put in a bit of progression up to the 10 mile point before slowing back downfor the rest home.  Very muggy and I am not looking foward to 35+ degrees next week. Guess I will have to get up earlier.

Have a good Sunday everyone.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Ouse pronounced ooze. Hope your foot starts to sort itself out Cal. Tendons are unpredictable things and frustratingly slow to heal.
    About 7.8miles last night in my vivobarefoots. Still feeling my way into more regular running again. A warm but breezy evening. Passed Jamie Lee Curtis' van. There was a small concert playing somewhere off in the distance with an enthusiastic drummer. Out to a village and on some country back roads. Somehow got over every busy road and crossing without having to stop. Not quick but not slow. Scared a pheasant out of a hedgerow. That'll teach it.
  • Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    edited June 23
    That'll be a bit on the warm side, Hazelnut. I do prefer the mornings in the summer as the evenings can still be so warm and humid, but can't seem to do the 5am starts currently.

Hiya Mollie and welcome.

Hope the 10K race is fun, Linton and hope your niggles have cleared up, Cal.

After a day showing 120 girl guides and brownies round the estate farmland on the back of a big trailer, pulled by a vintage tractor, I needed to get out and pound the streets/trails. I've been playing with the virtual pacer mode on my watch and decided to try a sedate 9:50 mi/mi and try to stick to it. A road 'n' trail loop across the marsh and along the river was a welcome tonic. Reed Bunting buzzed from the reedbeds, a Sedge Warbler darted down the river and then I too spooked a handsome cock Pheasant, JT. Must be the season for it. Lovely mauve wild geraniums all over the place and pleasingly few people about. The pacer seemed to work. A bit annoying as it kept vibrating at me but an overall pace of 9:48 for the whisker off 6 miles was pretty close to the mark.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Cal, that foot sounds like it needs to be looked at, although 8 miles is not exactly a rest. Worth it for sushi and macaroons though.

Hazel decent mileage and like you, I'm very concerned about the upcoming heat. On the day of my 10k it's looking to be super hot. This is a pattern!!! Of the half dozen organised races I've done, 5 have been on noticeably hotter days than the preceding week and a couple at c. 10c hotter than I'd trained at. I know how much my HR increases due to heat, so I am throwing my targets out of the window. 

Congrats on the VLM place Will, very envious. The pigeons will be about the extent of the birdlife on that run!

I did the Frimley Lodge parkrun yesterday. Lovely course and the weather was ideal. It's pretty flat, but mainly grass and trail. It's a two lap course, the first lap was very crowded as it's quite narrow. I think it was at least 1.5km before I could run at all freely. The parkrun was sandwiched between a boozy night and a brewery tour, much needed exercise. I finished in a relatively slow 27:33, but with negative splits all the way. 

Have a good week everyone.
    Thx regarding the Ouse JT.  Can imagine the pheasant gave you a bit of a shock as well.

Nice run that Will.  I've given up with the pace alarms as the buzzing gets on my nerves.

enrvuk - good plan to reduce your race targets if it is hot.  Looks like it will be so for my race on Sunday.  Well done on your parkrun.

Already been out for today's 6 miles - set the alarm earlier and dragged myself straight out of bed.  Warm but not excessively though.  Quite a heavy dew and as the sun started to burn that off things got a bit humid.  Pace was around the steady mark so I could live with it though.  Ran one of my standard out and back routes along a brook with not too much to look at, a couple of herons and red kites and also a couple of birdwatchers.  Forgot to check for fish though - sorry LTT.  Did hear some frogs.
  • Sorry your foot's still playing up Cal, hope you see some improvement before long.

Nice progressive HM distance Hazel. Hope you and enrvuk don't suffer too much on your race days-I don't envy you at all.

Excellent pace there JT141.

Short slow runs for me over the last few days, knee seems to be slowly getting better though it'll be in for a shock Wednesday as I'm planning 2 or 3 miles @7:49. Before my knee went I was in the middle of 10K training, so want to try to keep some momentum. Race isn't till August tho.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    JT,that's a nippy 8 miles,nice running.

When's your 10k,Linton?

Envruk,just what's needed after a boozy night.

Nice running,Hazelnut.We get the odd red kite but far as I know they're not breeding here yet.You get plenty in mid wales though.

Couple of runs to report on.8 miles yesterday morning,struggled a bit after trying to do a few miles @ 10k pace,legs felt really sore.

Just over 17.5 this morning,had plans to do 19 miles but my legs had over ideas.
    Started ok but by mile ten I could feel my glutes,by mile 13 I was down to a shuffle and decided running a bit more wouldn't be beneficial.Have to admit I haven't found the love for Mara training yet.
    Took me about 2.45 hours to complete the run.
    Cal,how many twenty miler would you recommend?

• alipat1990alipat1990 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys, I'm back! It's been a frustrating couple of months to say the least with my health issues but I had some good news last week with my MRI scan coming back clear. Still waiting on further testing but that rules out some of the scarier possibilities.

And in even better news my knee has been healing nicely. So much so that I managed to get out for a 3 mile run yesterday morning. The consensus in the end was that I had sprained my MCL. Thankfully not a major tear else things would have been a lot worse. It felt amazing to be out on the road again. My knee was a bit stiff at first but things seemed to loosen up a bit once I got going. I'm obviously going to be taking it easy for now to see how the knee reacts but so far so good following run number 1. Those 2 months felt like a lifetime.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    That's fantastic news,alipat,must be a huge relief.Just take it nice and easy.
  • Great stuff alipat! glad it was good news.

The local 10k was last Sunday JD1. Unfortunately I wasn't sure I'd be match fit after the previous weekend's half marathon and deliberated too long. When I went to get a ticket on the Saturday it was sold out, which is a shame as I was looking forward to it.

A fairly easy 6 miles tonight, humid and oppressive in kent. Heard and saw a lark.

I'm a bit lost now as local half marathons are 26th august, 1st september and 29th september. Ages away. I wish I could find one about mid july,

Great nature spots Will, sounds a lovely route.

Nice Parkrun enrvuk. Gotta dash have a good week.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    JD, I did four before my best marathon, Chester (three of those were 21ers. The other should have been but I had tummy issues!)
    Great news, alipat.

I'm taking some time out to rest and heal up. Got my foot x-rayed yesterday - hopefully it isn't fractured but I want to be sure. Now I have to figure out how to keep myself fit while I'm not running. I don't bike or have a gym membership and I hate swimming. Eh.
    Good luck with the speedwork Molliemasha - hope the knee holds up well. 

Good long run JD.  They do take a bit of getting used to.   At some point I would recommend pushing through the last bit that you planned (unless you are in real pain from an injury that is).   That is what the long run training is also about - getting yourself prepared mentally for those last few miles when everything is saying stop!  A recommendation I have read several times is to get as close to 100 miles as you can within your 5 longest runs (e.g. 5 x 20 miles or a mix of below 20 to up to 22 miles).  I have usually done the latter but not reached the 100 miles yet in any training round I don't think.  

That is great news alipat.  Definitely nice and easy for now. 

Any parkruns near to you LTT?  Would at least give you some fast running in company.

Hope you get some results soon Cal.  Difficult call on the cross training.  Any chance of getting your hands on a home trainer (borrow, buy 2nd hand?)  Might stress the foot though. 

A bit short of 7 miles for me this morning - out before breakfast again due to the heat (no group outing this evening - not in 35 degrees, thanks).  The woods next to where I live have a nice undulating trail so I ran 5 loops of that.  Took one loop to get going but after that got settled in nicely - running the downs swiftly and shuffling the (sometimes steep) ups.  Met a dog walker and 2 other runners.  Pretty quiet other than the birds singing.  Sweated a lot.  
  • alipat1990alipat1990 ✭✭✭
    Hope the X-ray comes back all clear Cal. Hopefully it's no more than a sprain.

I got out for a gentle 4 miles after work today. Decided to try out a new route that leads down into Burbage common and woods. I will definitely head back there to do a bit more exploring on a longer run and when the ground is a bit drier! My knee felt good again but boy were my quads tight after Sunday's run. 
    Plenty of stretching Ali.  Always nice to try out a new route and like it.

Another pre breakfast run today: 5 miles at recovery pace taking in the local fields and a small wood.   Already 25 degrees and humid.  Effort felt ok but I sweated a lot.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks ali, good your knee isn't hurting.
    The good thing is that the x-ray confirmed that I am fracture-free. The bad news is that shingles has reared its ugly, itchy head again. Back to the docs I went this morning and am now on meds for the next week. Yay.
  • I did a trail run!! After 5 months of threatening to.

If I turn left out of my house it goes into pretty much suburbia interspersed with the odd park, public space etc, with a host of different loops and laps from 3 to 12 mile. Pleasant enough, but I've named every snail by now. A well-worn path for sure. However if I turn right there is countryside!  The downside is a mile each way gauntlet of fast, bendy, country lane with no pavement..

Well I survived that bit, anyway! Not fun though. (Going to get a flouro vest quick)  and then took pot luck. By chance I found a decent loop that incorporated vast waist-height wheat fields, two farms (one with cows, one with ancient decaying farm machinery) 2 big hills, a long length of bridlepath, almost fully overgrown, and open countryside. It was only a 3.5 mile loop but felt really far! I'm going to try and use this loop often as it was a very welcome change even though I'm stung, bitten and scratched! 

Saw a small brown owl which I didn't even know existed, (A little owl apparently, and often seen in daylight) I've only seen Barn owls.

Glad your foot isn't fractured Cal that's great news. Hope it's a speedy recovery.

Nice field run Hazlenut, I know what you mean about the humidity, I didn't look to appealing on return. Thank goodness for my water bottle belt.

Glad things are heading in the right direction alipat.

Left hip hurts since the half marathon. Hope that disappears.

edited June 27
    :/ to the shingles Cal.  Get well soon.  Good news on the foot.

Seems you enjoyed that LTT :D - maybe have a cast around for a way to avoid that lane?  You could dump the fluoro vest in a hedge on your way out and recollect it for the return.   Good owl spot!  Hope the hip improves soon and is just a niggle.

10 miles for this week's long run (cut back week - very conveniently coinciding with the heatwave).  I am slowly getting used to the temperatures and humidity which is a good thing as the heatwave will continue until Monday at least.   I appreciated every bit of shade I ran through and also a farmer's water trough for a good wallowing (water is clean and cold).  Some lovely cornflowers on the edge of a wheat field to look at.

Not particularly looking forward to Sunday's hill race.   At leat the road which they need to transport material up and down and runners back down has collapsed meaning that they have changed the route and significantly reduced the amount of up.  Won't be a PW in that case.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Cal,good news about the foot but the shingles sucks,hope it clears up soon.

Nice run,alipat,it's great to explore new routes.Good news about the knee.

That sounds like a nice trail run,Linton,just avoid the wheat field when harvesting!Running on busy country roads isn't fun though.Nice little owl spot as well.

Hazelnut,would love to see you wallowing in a water trough!Warm and sunny today but it has lost the humidity which was very welcome.

8.34 miles this afternoon.Ran up to castle Dinas Bran,just over 1000ft climb.Plenty of lesser spotted walkers up there.Let the brakes off coming down so I'll most probably have sore quads tomorrow.

Left glute is sore again so it's been back to rolling it and ibrufon when I want to push the pace.

• enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Blimey you go away for a few days and it all happens!

Alipat, very pleased to hear your good news and that you're back on the roads again :-)

Cal, you're definitely in the wars. I used to work for the company that invented acyclovir (the main shingles treatment). I seem to recall that it's most likely to recur when your immune system is a bit compromised, which running can do. I hope it clears up quickly. Hopefully by then the foot will be better too. I bet you have the proper grumps.

JD1, I looked up the castle. What a spectacular place to run, if a bit hilly for me. 

Hazel, consistent as ever. Good luck with your hill run. 

Linton, congrats on taking the blue pill, sounds like a more enjoyable run, nice to have a bit of variation, but the snails will miss you. I have Regents Park/Primrose Hill left and Hampstead Heath right. I think I choose right once in every 20 runs, even though it's far more interesting. Guess it's the uphill start that puts me off.

I hope your longer/faster run went well Mollie.

Not much to report here, a nice fast finish (30 mins) run this morning. A disappointing trip to Lord's on Tuesday and a couple of foundation runs. No major mileage. It'll be a recovery run tomorrow in prep for my 10:15 10k race start at the Olympic Velopark on Saturday. I know I mentioned it already, but I am cursed with heat in races! A day either side and I'd be fine.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Linton, good running in the wilds. Get better Cal.
    A 20min fast treadmill run a few days ago when it was wet and cold. Yesterday in the heat meant to do something like an easy pace 14miles to get some stamina back. Managed 11.5, even then split in two. Tired from the very start but took a rest at 9.5. Pace just below 8min/mile so it shouldn't have been an issue - at least it wouldn't have been previously. Blame the weather, which is varying by 10 degrees from day to day here. Slate grey sky again this morning.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    enrvuk - interesting. The drug's doing its job - the shingles patch is starting to harden and is less itchy now. The worst thing today is my groin is sore where the lymph nodes have popped up.
    I've been doing yoga this week but am not sure about going today since the shingles is on the top of my bum (next to the sacrum) so lying on my back is pretty uncomfortable. I've also been feeling quite poorly since yesterday so running is the last thing I feel the urge to do.
    I had shingles not long after Manchester last year and managed to recover enough to do Liverpool so I think I'll be feeling much better in a few days. Really not looking forward to tomorrow's heat bomb, though.
    JD I also just looked up Dinas Bran. Looks like an interesting place. Hope the quads survived the descent.

Hope the 10k went well enrvuk and it wasn't too hot.

Stamina will be back soon JT.

Definitely time for a break if you are not feeling well Cal. Hope you are surviving the heat.

Around 4.5 miles recovery this morning with some strides, felt a bit sluggish but often do after a rest day.  Jogged past a trailer full of sheep waiting for a fence to be installed which caused a minor panic and saw one fox.  Also visited the local farm shop for fresh bread for breakfast - yumm!

Have a good weekend!