My Last Run

Comments

• Ouchy! :D Well done for getting through the LT run, Hazelnut... those are hard work.
    10 miles for me today. Initially felt tired and sluggish so I wasn't sure I'd do the whole thing, but I picked up a bit after three miles.
    Saw a fox, who ran off once he spotted me, and heard a green woodpecker.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Hello. So much happens so quickly. 10miles Tues on/offroad in 1hr16. Lots of runners about early evening. It was like an invasion. It was a second go at a route from the prior Saturday in which I was cooked at 6miles and had a rest before a slow 3miles home. I just have this blind spot about taking water with me in the midday heat. Went to bar in the evening that does mainly cocktails and every surface from floor to ceiling is sticky. Drank negronis to rehydrate.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    JD, I had to google the park, looks like a beautiful place to run. That always helps. Good luck! New shoes, good miles, warm up races. Sounds like you are in a good place.

Talking of beautiful, Hazel I have a friend who does cycling tours in Switzerland and the scenery is as stunning as you'd expect, but you know that. 

Cal, good to hear you perked up mid-run. It's so nice when it starts off hard but you get a boost. I usually get that after about 10 mins, but it's pace dependent. Is the parkrun going to be done at warm up pace? I bet you'll be tempted to blast out a pb!

JT, I don't even get on the tube without water, let alone go on a run! 10 miles in 1h16. Nice! 

Just a 7.5k 'foundation' run for me. Will be trying to fit morning runs in after evenings out boozing for a few days now. Going to be tricky!
  • Loads of great running, well done all!

Absolutely gutted here.  My trail half is this weekend and I've put a fair bit of training in for it, including 6 x 11-13 milers.  Holiday season is in full swing in the office, and it has become a hotbed of nasty colds currently, presumably picked up from the recirculated air on flights. Yep, you've guessed it!  Sat here with an absolutely streaming cold and ropey as hell.

I guess I shouldn't complain;  I've entered 7 races and have done better than I thought I would in all, but I'm still pretty fed up. Never mind.  Worse things happen I guess.  There is another local hilly half (Canterbury) on 26th August.

Good luck with the double run Cal! It'll be a great warm up for the 10k if nothing else.  The only time I've done similar was the Folkstone 10k, then a hilly 4 miles to make it 10 miles training. It did kind of work well actually!

I'm the same JT, now I've got used to leaving my bottle belt at home I just can't use it now, I feel it affects my (probably already questionable) form.  You could try my patent Petrol station every 5 miles method? (Unsuitable for trail runs). Wicked pace by the way.

Great running as ever Hazlenut, sure you'll smash the half marathon.  You're structured training inspires me to buy a book or learn more.  I just run around between petrol stations. I must get more scientific and get some plan together that will benefit me!

Best of luck with the post boozing runs enrvuk. I found the couple of times I tried it didn't affect the run too much, but I needed to sleep on returned home!

Have a good week everyone. 

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Great interval session Hazelnut,another tough session bagged .Ouchy,what a great name to finish a race .

Nice ten miles Cal,usually takes me a few miles to get going these days.Good luck with your races,don't know about London but it's going to be stormy up here from tomorrow.

Slick ten miles JT.I'm the same with water,just take fluids with me on very long runs.

It's a beautiful setting envruk but I'll be totally oblivious to it!

Really unlucky Linton,my youngest daughter has come down with a slight cold,so I've been an awful dad and keeping the snotty herbert at arms length.

Club interval session yesterday evening and a new one for me.200m flat out and then 300m recovery @ mp x 8.Legs felt ropey towards the end.Just over 8 easy miles tonight,going to rest my legs for Sunday's race now.

Out this morning on a bike ride with my girls,spotted two barn owls,perguin falcon,kestrel,fox,badger,weasel and a sea turtle,I think .Stopped outside the local taxidermist shop for a nose through the window 😀

• Best of luck with the run JD. Is it the same Tatton park that is famous for big Common carp?
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Linton.Wasn't sure about the carp ,so I've just googled it,something about a 57lb carp and a few photos which look impressive.
  • Well done for keeping the 10 miler going Cal. 

Swift 10 miler from JT - just looked up what a Negroni is / contains.  Not good on cocktails at all.

Seems you have some potential for running with a hangover there enrvuk - uggh.   I get sick rather than headaches which would not be enjoyable!

Oh no LTT - that is really crap.   The other race seems an alternative.  There are lots of plans about - worth having a good scan around as it is important to find one which fits to your lifestyle and current racing / training levels.  I like having boxes to tick and am too lazy to work out my own plan (do do some tweaking as necessary though).

Good luck with the 10k JD.  I hope it isn't too stormy - wind can be a right race killer.  Nice interval session with tough-sounding recoveries. 

11 miles yesterday evening - was very warm still when I set out and I took a couple of miles to adjust to that.  I have a nasty progression run coming on Sunday so I decided to keep the pace sensible towards the slower end of my longer run range, just increasing the effort a bit but not much over the last couple of miles.  Unplanned stop at mile 2 to wait for a herd of cows to move from A to B, the attendant farmer was suprisingly chatty and apololgetic that I had to wait.
  • Good luck for the weekend's racers - Cal and JD I believe.

Out before 7:30 for 8 general aerobic miles with short hill sprints and strides at the end. Dull drizzly sort of day, unsurprsingly met only a couple dog walkers. Nearly had a heart attack when a heron clattered out of a bush next to me.

Have a good weekend!
  • I didn't feel at all well yesterday but fortunately rallied today for my day of madness. I rather surprised myself at Hackney Marshes parkrun by equalling my all time parkrun PB of 24:39 (age group win, but a V55 was two minutes in front of me) but then concerned I might have shot myself in the foot for the Pride Run.
    However, it was really bloody windy in Victoria Park so a PB looked unlikely anyway. I was right, too. With all the stuff being blown around, I felt like I needed an eye bath afterwards. I was happy enough to run my third fastest 10K in 52:23. as once the wind picked up I just couldn't maintain PB pace and I got slower with each lap. Colourful medal and a nice goody bag, though. Would definitely do this one again - it's a fun event with a nice atmosphere.
    Part 3 was my club's fun event, Sports Day, featuring various athletic events and some daft ones like egg and spoon. I decided to have a go at shot put, which I was shit at (I'm strong, but I have zero technique), the 100m (also shit - legs didn't want to work, which isn't surprising) and the egg and spoon (I was slow but at least I kept my egg on my spoon). I left the other events to my clubmates but it was fun watching them try to do the high jump, hurdles and discus.
    Thoroughly bloody tired now.
  • And 10 miles today. I could easily have justified not running at all today, but I saw it as an opportunity to get the benefits of a long run without actually doing a long run. Nice weather - fresh and breezy, so enjoyed it for the mostpart, though it certainly was tiring.
    Found out the friendly white and tabby cat I've been petting recently belongs to a clubmate of mine. I've offered to feed him (and her other cat) if she goes away, which will get me some quality cat time.
  • Great running Cal, can imagine you would have a good chance at a 10k PB in an optimal race.  Love the idea of the Sports Day, in particular the egg and spoon race. Good to do a tired legs run on top without overdoing it. Hope you get a chance of some cat time soon.

At the PILs at the moment, to get in a longer run I had to go out before breakfast. There is a reservoir 15 mins drive away around which I ran 3 and a bit loops for 14.3 miles. Started at the slower end of long run pace and cranked up the speed to finish with 3k a few seconds faster than HM pace. Tough one.  Good I was out early as it would now be too warm for such a run.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Well done Cal,equalling your parkrun pb and third fastest 10k in one day is very good going.I was thinking about you yesterday when the winds picked up,luckily they had subsided when I raced today.

Great long run Hazelnut,can't remember when you did a short run.

10k Tatton park race this morning.Felt good at the start line but I couldn't get into my groove during the race,felt a struggle.Finished with a time of 42:52,54 seconds slower than my last 10k.Not sure what happened,maybe too many slow miles with Mara training.Finished 45 V45 5,which sounds better!
    Never mind on to the next race.

• enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    LTT, bummer about your run, but as you say not a bad return on 7 entries. I've only scratched for excessive heat so far, but no doubt my time will come. I use the 80/20 Matt Fitzgerald book. I will tell you in October if it's any good.

Mind boggling miles Hazel. Are you sure you aren't gearing up towards ultras?

JD, impressive animal watching, I didn't realise taxidermy was still a thing! I hope your race went well, some nice prep miles. 

Cal, I hope you're feeling 100%, you are up there in Hazel territory for mileage. Nice time at Hackney and 9 seconds ahead of my (PB) time there. To follow that with a 52:3x 10k shows just how good your fundamental fitness is. 

A few runs to report. I ran 10x1 mins sprints on Friday. Running past walking commuters in the main. I realised I run at half the speed as I did when I was 16 and was quite pleased with it.  

Saturday was the Parkrun at Gunpowder near Waltham Abbey. For the second week I got carried away and finished in 26:05, not super fast, but not the recovery run that was scheduled. The conditions were very blustery and quite a few runs were called off. Nice course and a very friendly bunch. I suffered for it a little today on my 'Long Run with Speed Play'. Essentially a warm up/down and 8x0.25 miles in HR Zone 3 and 0.75 miles in Zone 2. It was exceptionally busy in Regents Park with a race finishing and lots of visitors, including a very large group of Muslims, I assume from the local Mosque, enjoying the weather. I did quite weird route including a couple of reps on Primrose Hill running track. All good fun, but the first half was tough.

No real booze problems (abstained on Saturday), but today's run was delayed by 2 hours due to Bengali chilli!

50kms this week, for the first time.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Nice training enrvuk,must be nice running through London's parks,always something to see.Well done on your first 50k week.

22 miles this morning,felt good overall,cooler weather makes a big difference.
  • For better or worse, I did my race on sunday!  By Saturday the worst of my bug had gone I just felt tired, and ached and was stuffy.

About 4 miles in I realised it was a mistake! but I did manage to get round.

The half marathon was organised out of Ashford Julie Rose stadium and called the Brett Owler, and was hilly road and maybe 50% trail sections, and a little over, at 13.5 mile. A small affair,  35 doing full marathon, 55 doing half (1 loop). I was so knackered by the end, the elevation was 800 plus feet which doesn't seem insanely big?  Maybe it was the trail that did me, or the fact I wasn't 100%, but DAMN I was pleased when it finished!

After the big loop (which was very picaresque) you finished with a track lap in the stadium which was cool! I wasn't quick at 2:14 (2nd half marathon and PB) but it was awesome fun.  I don't know why I can run 13 miles on my own and be OK, but in an event it knocks the stuffing out of me so much? Maybe I worry more and it affects me negatively?

Watching the first of the marathon runners come back was great!  What a feeling it must be. How they managed 2 laps of that course I just don't know, incredible.  1st back was 3:23 which is crazy up all those hills.

It's 2 weeks to the Canterbury half which is harder still at 850 foot elevation (but no trail). I hope I'm fit for it as it's a real One To Do down this way.

Huge run JD1! Well done  22 miles off the cuff is awesome.  Sharp 10k too. I really want to get sub 45, not quite there yet.

Nice running envruk!  Running round london must be great.  I haven't been up for a little while, must go again soon. Nottinghill perhaps. 50k is about 30 miles? Good work.

Nice day of running Cal! A park run and a 10k both with nice times. Good stuff.

Relentless mileage Hazlenut! A 50 mile week is a serious, comitted bit of running in my mind. 

I'm walking funny, so no running today. I'm looking at Sunday's half as my "last long run" for the Canterbury half on the 26th.  Not really sure what to do milage wise in the 2 weeks until then?

Have an adequate Monday.
  • Just joined the forum. Ran this morning, 7.3miles. Started off at a really good pace, but I've gotten into the habit of 'exploring'. Ended up in some woods and the pace came crashing down to earth as had to weave in and out and over trees!! So my pace kept going up and down and didn't know where I was going. Had to loop back round to get to work for start time, so generally happy with the distance, not so much the time.
  • Welcome, Kevin! Exploring is certainly not a bad habit (unless it makes you late for work!) It's always good to vary pace and terrain.

Linton, well done - training and racing certainly don't feel the same because obviously you're going much faster during a race. And yes, terrain makes a huge amount of difference. When I did my trail "half" (actually 13.6 miles) in June it took me 2 and a half hours! There were bits I had to walk, lots of styles to climb and I did spend a while at the aid stations eating things. :D
    When I finished it felt more like I'd run a marathon than a half. I'd gone in thinking I could take it easy by "just running at marathon pace" but I got schooled pretty quickly.

enrvuk - not done Gunpowder yet. I gather it's not the easiest get to (without a car) but I'll probably tick it off at some point. I'm planning on doing Cyclopark next weekend - it's a new one near Gravesend (event #5). Looks jogable from the station.

JD, 22 miles on a Monday! Well done.

12 for me this morning. Legs felt a lot better than on Sunday but knee hurt afterwards - I think my calves are very tight.
    A green woodpecker flew overhead, yaffling away. Makes a change from parakeets.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Well done Linton.Trail running is totally different,you're running against the elements and time goes out off the window.Keep your mileage ticking over but not excessively,keep your legs fresh for Canterbury.

Welcome Kevin,keep up the exploring.

Nice 12 miles Cal,I can feel my calves tightening up as well,I'll rest tomorrow.

8.08 - did the first four miles fairly fast, HMP,then gentle 4 miles home.

• 8 miles this morning - Three and a half miles in, I included a loop of just under a mile that has a hill (not steep really, but still a hill, and it's a third of a mile long) and then tempo'd up the hill and recovered on the way back down. Did that four times and then a mile cool-down after.
    Foxes spotted: 2 (one inspecting an empty fast food box).
    Times left ankle rolled: 2 (no harm done)

• 3.5 miles trail last night. Wheat fields are harvested, briddle path almost impenetrable.  Pumpkins growing fast!

Sore quads from Sunday, saw some wrens (I think) never seen another person on this route, unusual for the South east.

Cal; My half marathon  training pace and event pace (I can't say race pace) are actually the same 10 min miles, but I would like to lower that one day!😂.

Nice running Cal and JD
  • Oh! And hi to Kevin, agreed,  I really enjoyed creating myself some trail routes.
  • Nice to see plenty of posts during one day off of running..

How did the 22 miler go a day after a swift 10k JD?  I found a hard 10k race + a long run a great combi for marathon preparation.  You are getting in some good runs and a sub 43 10k is a good time.

Well done on the 50k week enrvuk.

Well done on your HM LTT.  Good the cold eased enough to let you run.  

Good consistent running from Cal.

Welcome to Kevin.  Always good to do a bit of exploring.

A rare or even first (not sure) double for me yesterday after Monday's day off.  Annual running group BBQ yesterday evening and I knew the run beforehand would be a bit shorter than normal so I trotted four recovery miles at lunchtime.  Legs were very wooden and took at least two to wake up.  The evening run was a bit longer but slower as we took an unfamiliar route and had to pace according to the group so as not to lose anyone.  Nice sit down and chat afterwards with lots of cake demolished for dessert!
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    JD, with you on the weather. Nice miles. 
    LTT, brave decision to do the run, but great job on finishing. Are you a trail runner first now!?

Cal, how do you hear about new Parkruns? Cyclopark sounds fun. Gravesend has improved a lot since I used to live near by. Interested to hear your thoughts. How close are you to Cowell Club now? Great mileage btw.

Welcome Kevin. Hope you find your way back.

Hazel, good double up! How was the rest of the bbq, runners can't live on cake alone! Ours is Sunday week, not sure if I'll be there yet.

I did my first recovery run on Monday and last night I did my Mornington Chasers club run. Slow paced over the heath up to Kenwood, but it's a beautiful location so I really enjoyed it. Something like 16k between the two runs. No silent disco last time, but I saw a kids athletics meeting on the Heath track and it took me back to summers as a teenager. 100/200m plus either long or triple jump in school or club events. Great days, but I kinda wished I'd been allowed to play more cricket. 

• There's a Facebook group called New Parkruns. There's some politicking in that announcing new runs before they've started is frowned upon now as most events don't want their inaugurals swamped - but a few people still drop hints.
    I'm at half-Cowell - Hackney was my 50th different event.
  • Rest of the bbq was nic enrvuk - pretty simple foodwise but just what it needed.  The whole event was less about the eating than about some chat - the groaning cake buffet was partly due to the fact that there are at least 2 who work in that field. 

Back to solo running yesterday evening - 10k at slightly quicker than I should have been doing followed by 2 sets of 5 x 150 metre strides with 250 jogs and 4 mins between sets plus a little bit to round that part up to another 5k.  Took me a  couple of gos to sort out how to do the longer strides as I was accelerating too fast initially.   Rest day today and hill race tomorrow.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Hazelnut,the 22 miles after the race were great,legs felt fine.I deliberately did the long run after the race just to make things tougher,hopefully it will do me some good in the mara.Good luck with the hill race tomorrow.

Nice club run enrvuk,I wasn't very good at 100/200m when a kid but did ok at 800/1500m.

6 easy miles this afternoon.

• Well done everyone!  I was at home last night and got reading about Kenyan runners nutrition. I made a ugali cake/loaf?  It was awful!! but I ran 5.5 miles at 8.15 pace easily later, which is good for me. coincidence? probably.

I won't ever do a half marathon with a cold again as I've felt battered all week.  life lesson learned.

Great running as always JD.
    Great running Hazlenut, good luck in your hill race.
    Good recovery run envruk.  We did cricket, athletics and tennis during the summer at school.  The only one I was half-decent at was tennis.
    50 different Parkruns is awesome Cal! I've tacho'd my local one and it's 4.5 miles.  So I aim to jog there, volunteer and jog back, next time they're short.

Have a happy and fast weekend.

• Good luck with the hill race, Hazelnut. You seem to do a lot of those! I bet you have buns and lungs of steel.
    Linton, sensible. I got a cold right before Valencia Marathon and ended up bailing. It cost me a good amount of money as I couldn't cancel the flights and it was too late to get a refund for the race, but I felt way too unwell to travel, let alone run.
    Are you reading Running with the Kenyans? Ugali is mentioned a lot in that. I'd like to know how you made it!
    Which is your local? Mine is Tooting Common but I only go there to volunteer these days - it's too congested for a decent run.
    8 miles this morning, easy pace. Just booked my train tickets to Gravesend for the parkrun tomorrow. I think this will be the furthest I've travelled excluding the two Manchester ones, when I was staying at my mate's.
  • So, Cyclopark parkrun. The route from the station looked a straightforward 2 mile jog. I knew I'd hit a roundabout and would need to go straight on, then left, but when I went straight on I found I'd run out of pavement and left was a sliproad up to the A2. I realised I'd gone wrong and asked a passing runner who pointed me in the correct direction. Straight on was actually the middle road off the roundabout, which looked a bit left to me. Oh well - that's what you get for writing your directions on a bit of paper rather than using a smartphone like normal people (I detest smartphones).
    Made the parkrun with minutes to spare.
    It's a double out and back down a straight path (not actually on the Cyclopark, but next to it) and the out is downhill but the back is, well, uphill. It isn't steep but it does make a lot of difference to pace. I ran what I think is my fastest mile in a parkrun - 7:46 for the first mile - but then came the turnaround and uphill so the next mile was 8:23. The final mile had both down and up and I did that one in 8:08, then kept pace for the finish (Garmin made it a shade long - 3.15 miles). Finish time was 25:32 which I think is a pretty decent time for a course with a climb. Still slightly annoyed to miss out on a top 10 ladies' position by one place, but I'd have had to have gone under 25 for that, and so far I've only done that on flat courses (and certainly not with a 2 mile jog on the way there). Only third in age group too - the two V50s in front of me were fast (one under 2 2 minutes and the other bang on 23).
    Jogged back to the station and got my train home. Seven miles all told.