My Last Run

Comments

• Hi All,

Yesterday evening 6pm = 4 miles

Decided to do a slightly quicker pace over this shorter distance (my quick is by no means any body elses definition of quick!!) Took an old familiar route round my park and roads. Sometimes it feels good to run a route that you know inside out, you know the inclines, what is round the corner, yu somehow feel very confident. I managed to run past Crofton Park station, just as everyone piled out, so I ran on the road instead to keep out of their way (and all the cigs being lit up), I always seem to speed up when I hit a load of people..

Was quite muggy last night so was really hot and red in the face. But got a big grin from a very fresh faced runner as I was doing my end stretches. Run felt good, and what I sometimes cant get over is that I now consider 4 miles a shorter run!! 4 months ago and that would have felt like a marathon..

Jog watch - 6

• Ginger NGinger N ✭✭✭

Hello guys and gals

Yesterdays effort was 16 miles of commuting followed by 5miles on the treadmill, I've been doing loads of slow running at 75%MHR since coming back from a knee injury but I think it's time to start doing some speed so I did 1mile warm up and 3miles at 85-90% of max then a 1mile warm down.

I'm doing a half marathon on Sunday so with this in mind, tonight I did a very gentle 3.5 mile jog @ 70%MHR through the woods and trails around the local golf course/country park. Perfect way to de-stress after work! I haven't really trained properly for the race so I'm going to just see how it goes.. but I'll try for a 1.45 which would be a pb for me by 5 mins, but I'm just glad to be back running again.

Plus I also heard today that I've definitely got a gold bond place for the London Marathon! Training starts.......now!

Jogwatch: 1

• Ginger NGinger N ✭✭✭
    Commuting meant Cycling no way could I do all that running...doh.image
  • Hi!

Another enjoyable run today. Cardingmill Valley on the Long Mynd. 4.6km, 29:12, 300m of ascent.

A short run after yesterday's efforts, but I felt suprisingly good on the ascent. The downhill was a thigh pounder, but I had a big silly grin on my face - it was fun! No other runners, but a dozen or so walkers and a few families playing in the stream. Finished off with a coffee and flapjack in the National Trust cafe. 

• Fridays mean meeting up with the remnants of my club, the Red Herring Road Runners, in Wallasey and taking a big lap including Bidston Hill, Wallasey Ladies' Golf Course, up the hill again from the "easy" side and a cavalry charge back to the "Cheshire Cheese" in Wallasey Village. It's 75% off road on rubble paths, forest trails and sandstone outcrops, with great views - but not today, 'cos it's been a grey old day on Merseyside.

The club's about to fold, with only 2 of us running the last 3 weeks; however, 3 lost sheep turned up today and we ran the first half very steadily, chatting all the way, and the second half at pace, too much for me to catch 2 of the returners!

Jogwatch: 0, unless I count the 4 who ran with me image
  • 01/09/07 4.33m 36:36:81 c480 AHR 156 MHR 229
    Please tell me anyone, are there any other self abusers out there? What I mean is thus. yesterday I ate junk all day. Toast & marmalade for brekkie (that's OK), big bag of ridge crisps for elevenses, Big Mac & large Fries and a can of Coke for lunch with a toffee yoghurt, an apple, banana and an orange mid afternoon. Then after finally getting home from work at 8:30 a whacking great Chinese meal for one. I hate to think how many calories in that lot. But be honest do you fall off the rails completely at Times?
    Anyway, today. My brain engaged at 5am this morning but I wasn't moving, rolled around for a good hour and then to my amazement it was nearly 8! i managed to get some extra kip. Came down and watched the athletics highlights on BBCi and was propelled into action to try and burn of at least some of the thousands of calories consumed yesterday. Glad I did, that's three days running I've been running and let's not forget my race tomorrow that will make it 4. It was back to my short run again and it was great. I have a new philosophy, every time I pass some one whether it be, pedestrian, cyclist, jogger or weirdo I am going to say hello! let them know I am glad to be running. I have done it for three runs now and so far it has been positive, try it!

Jog Watch - 3 (+2 in full gear but definately NOT running just walking.

As said Kitty, hope the ankle mends soon

• BB ✭✭✭

iRUN -another name change? What a relief to see your last post I keep having days like that - I love chocolate and crisps and all those other things that are not supposed to be good for us. I really would like to lose a couple of pounds so eating them is definitely not ideal - yesterday and the day before I had crisps and chocolate - the rest of my diet is pretty healthy, and sometimes I can go a few weeks of healthy eating, but then I fall off the wagon again. I guess really the best thing is moderation - don't deny yourself anything, enjoy chocolate/crisps when you do have them - but just don't have too much! (that last bit is the bit I struggle with when I get started!)

((KK)) it will be great to hear how your training is going - good luck with the healing, hope it won't be too long before you are back running.

• iRUN  - My basic daily diet was chips, pies, cakes, crisps, biscuits and sweets and lots of them, no fruit or veg (chips don't count apparently) and it's been that way for years.  But 1st April this year I made a change, no more of the junk and I've added fruit and veg and fibre and things are going well.  I was a 13st 6lb and now I'm hovering around 12st 1lb.

Kittenkat  - Wishing you a speedy recovery. 

• Get well soon, KK

0930 From Longridge a pretty market town east of Preston on a very scenic 7-miler that is basically 4 miles up and 3 miles down. Climbing all the time, we passed a reservoir, caravan site and several farms before getting to the pub where we turn to take on Jeffrey Hill. About half a mile but steep enough to consider walking. The heather on Longridge Fell was a riot of purple which contrasted with the dark green fir plantations and the yellowy-green pasture. Put this together with blue skies, banks of white cloud and some sunshine and you'll see why we enjoyed it. The downhill was welcome, passing the hilliest golf course in the UK, I'd suggest. One golfer was waiting for a hand to pull his golf bag up a wooden ramp to the next tee!

Jogwatch: 1
  • BB ✭✭✭

Sounds great Swittle. I had a not so scenic session on the treadmill channel hopping and watching amongst other things "animals do the funniest things!" I did my first interval session for a while 10 minutes warm up and then 1min/1min, 2 min/1min, 3min/2min intervals 3 times. About 4 miles in total. when I did the first set I felt like I couldn't possibly do three sets, but the second set was fine and the last set was ok too (beacsue it was the last set I think). Pleased to complete what was on my schedule and therefore ate health food tonight - fish and chips!!!!

Looking forward to getting outside again tomorrow - there is time for the treadmill in the winter. Happy running and racing tomorrow image

• 02/09/07 5.00m 42:16:49 c 544 AHR156 MHR176 F 27g
    A lovely run around Stockley Park and it's golf course. Also 1 minute off of my personal best. Can't be bad. Very warm again today it seemed that although there were many bushes and trees, nearly the whole race was in sunshine. It was good though. It could have started so much better though. After just yards of the start some body trod on my foot causing me to yelp and I thought I had twisted my ankle again. I carried on and I did run it off ok this time, thanks to those who showed concern at the time.
    I seemed to be at half pelt around the route but that is generally me being conservative when I don't know a route. I am sure I can get much faster, I actually sprinted the few hundred metres. I actually have spilts this time 7.35 15.19 26.14 33.29, that makes a change although 3 miles looks odd!
    Happy with that. Jog watch - 100+

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• Hello All, image

Sunday 02/09/07 – 9:30pm – Race  - Wolverhampton Marathon.

26.2 miles – 2:55:55.60 – 6:43 min/mile ave. – 80 ft asc.– Nike Vaporfly.

Jog Watch 1500?

After missing the last two FLM’s due to injury I’d given up on doing marathons (and for a short time running all together), but after coming back in April and gradually building mileage and then my speed I got to the point were I though I stood a fair chance of running a sub 3 hour marathon.  So today was the day I was going to go for it!

Rose at 6:15 am and had had some jam and toast and a protein shake then set off to Wolverhampton.

Registered and got ready, no real warm up.

Made my way to the front of start as every second was could very well be crucial.

9:30 and we’re off!  Race plan was to run the first 2 miles quite hard and then settle into a steady but quick pace once on the downhill of New Hampton Road.  When I hit the undulations it was about maintaining effort and hoping the pace didn’t drop too much.  And as a plan I went pretty well,  My initial pace was probably too fast but I was comfortable so there was no need to slow.  Ran with two other guys for quite a bit but one of them made a push and dropped me and the other chap.  Then on every uphill section I would drop behind a few meters but then get it back on the downs.  Coming up to the end of the first lap the other runner put quite a gap between us, so I let him go, and to be honest I was feeling bad and thinking I’d gone off way to hard.

But once one the second lap I started to fell good again and eventually caught my old running partner up and passed him on a hill, so he must’ve been feeling worse than me.

Pushed on and made a few places up and at the same time lost a couple, but was feeling ok.  But then at 22 miles I started to suffer and my pace dropped quite considerably but I’d built enough of a buffer to see me through.
    <!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
    <!--[endif]-->

2:55:55 and 8th overall and 5th senior male which won me a prize.

Managed to lose my phone, but some honest person handed it in, that's nice to see. 

Over the moon!

Chris.
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• Wow, you guys run so far and so fast! I take my hat off to you. (except I'm not wearing one but you get what I mean!).
  • Wow, you guys run so far and so fast! I take my hat off to you. (except I'm not wearing one but you get what I mean!).
  • Sorry - don't know what happened there.. Flippin technology... and now I've posted three times for a measly 2/9/07 3.5 miles, just under 38 mins.!

Pretty pleased with my running this week as I've managed to go out three evenings, even though children are still on school hols. Am so knackered running after children that real running feels like a slug swimming through treacle but it's still good to go. (two 5 miler's and todays 3+ this week).

Put some Scritti Politti & Fresh Prince on the old MP3 so relived my youth on the downhill bits!!!

Jog watch - 1 (much faster runner who went past in a blur but smiled anway!)

• Wow 2.55 is stuff of dreams, well done.

Race: Kent Coastal Half Marathon: 01:49:50. Ave 8.22mm

Blimey this was a hard run along a very scenic coastal route that took in Margate and Ramsgate. But it was also very hot and very hilly!! I started off fine cantering along on a slight down hill for the first mile or two but then it started getting warmer and the hills came. By the turnaround point in Ramsgate I thought about just turning it into a training run as my heart rate was soaring and my pace was dropping, and my fair skin was going pink, damm ginger hair! But I found some kind of rhythm and managed to keep going and beat my previous best time by 1min. Now I have four weeks to train for the Windsor half....

• congrats to today's racing heroes - it does seem to justify all the good and not-so-good miles covered in training - and i for one can relate closely to the detailed descriptions of how the race is going and how the runner is feeling.

for me +1, another jaunt from Wallasey and over Bidston Hill, enjoying rather cloudy views of the Liverpool waterfront and Dee estuary. over the golf course, got welcome co-operation from a golfer about to tee off image and on the ascent to the hill, must have noted a good percentage of the canine population of the North Wirral taking the air.

8.5 miles, 1hr 25min.

grey but almost dry and quite warm, with a fresh breeze.

Jogwatch: 0
  • BB ✭✭✭

iRUN, Marsh and Capt Nozza - you are awesome - two PBs and a way sub-3 hour marathon - well done!!

I had to do a sustained three miles today and I kept putting it off (a familiar theme in my training!) anyway I finally got out the door at gone 7 this evening. I've not done this session before, I was told to try for an 80% effort on the three miles after a warm up. So I ran down to the seafront the long way 20 mins easy, 1.95 miles. A few stretches and then to start the sustained bit - I noted that my penalty for not getting out earlier was that there was quite a stiff breeze and it seemed to be in my face much more than it was behind me making my heart rate go up a bit too high for parts of the run 27 mins sustained, 3.1 miles. I had a bit of a walk to let my heart rate go down and then did 2.5 miles easy home in 28.20 mins. It's funny how when I really don't feel like running I often have my best sessions. I really enjoyed this, ended up doing a total of 7.55 miles in 1.15.20 and got a 5k PB in the middle.

All happy on this thread image

Jogwatch: 3 (and 4 foxes on the way up the final hill in the dark)

• Respect to the racers today!

Didn't run yesterday as pulse rate and temperature were up. Everyone in the family has been ill this weekend, but it only lasted a day.

Pleasant little 2.2km run with mrs and dog in 14minutes, then 5.5km home, mostly across the fields, in 27 minutes. Enjoyable run, felt good and I got back before the rain. Jogwatch 1 (Mrs), or 2 if you count the dog. 

• A gentle 4 mile run around the streets of Liverpool "no jokes please lol", weather was very wet but I really enjoy running in the rain as it keeps me cool. Running at a 10 minute mile pace...

• Saturday, 7.00pm - 5.8 miles.  Same route as last Tuesday, but I decided to jog for a mile, do the middle 3.5 miles at tempo pace, then jog home.  Overall was slower than on some occasions for this distance, because I think I pushed too hard on the tempo bit and had to jog even slower at the end - but felt reasonably good.

A pleasant run through the parks, although I'm beginning to feel more wary about running through these areas as the evenings start to draw in.

Jogwatch: 5

Sunday, early afternoon: 10.5 miles-ish(?) multi-terrain-ish.  Time: who cares for a run like this?

Started out on my usual semi-rural longer road route, but found that the knees were starting to play up a bit, so rather than doing a long pound up Whitely Woods Road, I opted for the woods themselves.  So much easier on the joints and so much fun.  Went off on quite a few tangents, taking whichever path I hadn't taken before; a few muddy puddles, tree-roots and stepping stones over swollen streams added to the exhilaration.

Beautiful - leaves sparkling with rain, the smell of moss and undergrowth, the rush of water in the stream.  Surprising how just taking slightly different paths, even in a relatively familiar area, take you somewhere new.  Weirdest thing I saw was a woman walking a cat(!) through the park, as I headed back towards suburbia.  No lead/leash; just a very well-behaved ginger tomcat diligently walking at his owner's heels, and obeying her every command.

Felt quite sad to get back on to the roads/pavements, as it reminded me what an Alexandre Dumb-ass I've been about looking after my knees and preventing injury.

But all in all, a really, really enjoyable run.  Stamina-wise, could have run a good few miles further if the knees hadn't said 'no', but given my recent weekly mileage any further would have been daft.  Must build things up slowly.

...Just wish I had enough money to buy some trail shoes.  But I haven't.  Blimey, this supposedly 'free' sport is eating up way more money than the gym!image

• Ran the Glasgow Half Marathon yesterday(Saturday)

As usual the organisation was fantastic.Sir Jimmy Saville set us on our way.I ran 2 Hours 3 Mins 25 Secs.

12 Mins quicker than last year,so I was delighted.I have only been running for 2 years so I am getting there.

The run itself is through the city and two of the citys parks with the finish in Glasgow green which is a huge area of greenbelt alongside the river clyde

Have entered the FLM but will need to wait for the Ballot.Ran Edinburgh Marathon in May which was my first one....so I have definitely got the running bug

Ian

• BB ✭✭✭

Congrats on the HUGE pb Ian, almost a mile a minute quicker - wow! image

• Well done Ian,

Monday 03/09/07 – 1pm-ish – Jog?  - Chester.

0.6 miles (2x  0.3) – unrecorded – unknown min/mile ave. – 33 ft asc.– Nike Free 5.0.

Jog Watch 0.

Feeling a bit battered this morning after yesterday’s marathon effort.  Decided to go to Chester and have a walk around the shops just to loosen the legs off. Parked up by the Northgate and was going to walk in to town but I thought I’d give jogging a go and apart from a bit of soreness in the calves and at the top of my thighs didn’t feel to bad, I actually feel a lot better now than when I got up.  Ok so it’s not a proper run 0.3 in then walk round and 0.3 back to the car, I think I’ll give it one more day then go out for a proper run, nothing to hard maybe 30 mins off road.

Good running everyone. 

• Well done to all who raced this weekend, some absolutely amaxzing distances and times, makes me feel just shameful!!

Last run - Saturday 9am.

Due to go out for another 7 miles, and for some reason, which I knew almost withing the first 2 miles that I was not going to manage. I could not get my legs working, they felt like lead, my pace was all off and I just felt very strange. I was way tired before I should have been, and mentally I had lost the plot, so I ended up only doung half (3.5 miles), and have felt like a fraud all weekend.

Why does that happen? How can running one day feel great, and I managed to cover a distance I have not covered before and go up hills etc, and then a few days later, I cant put one foot in front of the other - V annoying!! image

Anyhow, will try again....

• Hi all! I like this thread! Very cathartic!

Saturday 1st Sept 09:30 - My First 10 Mile Run! - 1 hour 43 mins - 10.01min/mile

Decided on an early run to get it out of the way.  It's wasn't the most scenic of routes, just on the roads around where I live, and there was a particularly nasty hill that I wasn't looking forward to (long and relatively steep) which proved to be as bad as I thought, but I didn't stop running even though I was nearly overtaken by an old geezer on his push bike :lol:

Hit the wall at about 6.5 miles (just after the nasty hill so no surprise there), and wished I'd put some more Lucozade in my water bottle, but pushed myself on anyway by trying to think about my holiday and what I was having nice for tea :lol:!!

In summary - I'm pretty pleased with my time, but will remember to take more sports drink with me next time and maybe even some sweeties to chomp. 

• Hello and Well done Boardgrrrrl.
  • I absolutely love this thread!  Am quite addicted to checking it now,  just to see what everyone else is up to.

It's also making me eager to run more so I've got something else to report - which I will do after I've had a much-needed rest! image

Well done everyone for keeping it up and keeping me interested!