My Last Run

Comments

• 10k last Friday. pace: 06:11 per km.
  • Nice long run enrvuk.  Good preparation for your half in 4 weeks.

+ 1 to arm sleeves Cal.  I don't care what they look like they are one of my favourite bits of kit especially in autumn / spring.  Nice pic.  Good you were able to get out again. 

Welcome James.  Well done on your half and getting the weight down.  I do the same as Cal in HMs - water and no fuel but after Sunday I would actually consider trying taking a gel at halfway as in my last 2 I crashed a bit at 18k. Not sure about getting the thing into my stomach at the effort level though - need to try it out.

Welcome to the forum ilias.

Hard to get out due to the light JD?  Or due to night shifts?

Will - are you still out there?

Gentle recovery yesterday lunchtime - 5 and a bit k.  Tired legs obviously but no real niggles.  Couple of recovery weeks now and then winter base training.  Need to plan some A races for next spring.
  • Are you thinking marathons or shorter for next year, Hazelnut?

I got out for another run (quite late again - after 10 - I feel ropiest when I wake so not doing anything too early at the moment). 6 miles this time. Wore my pink Yorkshire shirt - first outing for it. Legs are starting to come back - pace was a bit better than yesterday. Lungs will take a bit longer due to the cold - they'll get a workout at parkrun on Saturday.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Welcome James,well done on your HM.Running will definitely help with the weight loss.I never take on anything for a half,I just have porridge and water before a race.

Hazelnut, my legs always feel very heavy come the evening when I run,I don't think I'm gaining anything when I do run but always feel OK for a gym class.Have a 10k trail race next weekend and a HM trail planned for early January,something to look forward to.

Glutes and hamstrings are very tight after last nights circuit training so just 8 easy miles this morning,first frosty morning of autumn,lovely sunshine.

• Seven miles tonight, disappointed that the hip pain was back from mile 4, though not as bad as it has been, and I have done a decent run every other day, too much it seems, will back off a bit as it wasn't good at all.

Good work Malteser, though you sound like me earlier in the year, wanting to push on and on! Be careful of injury.

Hi James, still a decent finish time. Another advocate for porridge 3 hours before (With a chopped banana!) and no fuel.

Yeah, hope Will and JT are well.

Hope you feel better Cal.  I dread to think how long marathon recovery takes. Read recently one day of rest (as in no hard effort runs) per mile raced? Glad you got a run in. Did you see the "are you a running wanker?" Quiz floating around Facebook? Made me laugh, I'm around 70% wanker I think.

Enrvuk, I bought them just to keep my arms warm as I much prefer wearing a vest!, (I find long sleeves a bit constricting) will have to break out the long sleeves at some point though..
    Apparently they're supposed to make you perform better too, but not sure about that for a bimbler.
    Great long run.

Good running JD, agreed cracking weather mornings this week so far.

• I am aiming for a spring mara Cal - and also a first go at an ultra (local 32ish miler) (early June).  The mara will either be just a "warm-up" for the ultra or a PB attempt, depends on the amount of time between the two.  The ultra will be amble around and enjoy it.  Really must make plans.

Maybe extra rest days LTT to help the hip? I'm also familiar with the one mile race, one day recovery rule of thumb - recovery being either rest or no hard sessions.  It doesn't always work out like that but the longer the race the more likely I am to stick to it.

Must have been a lovely run JD.  Get your meaning regarding evening runs.

Standard group outing yesterday evening - 6 and a bit miles in just over an hour.  I was a bit unsure if it was a good idea to go as it involves quite a bit of hilling but the pace was gentle and my legs not as bad as I was fearing - no DOMS post HM. 
  • I'm hoping to find a suitable ultra too, Hazelnut. Not easy to find one that fits my criteria, though...like you I don't want to do more than 50K, and I'd like it to be runnable/not too hilly and not to clash with my Spring maras. Eh...

Linton...yes. I scored 21 so I'm a total wanker. :D

Resting today. Still not feeling amazing.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Cal,maybe find an ultra race along a canal,nice and flat,I'm sure they have one along the Liverpool/Manchester.

Another 8.35 trail run yesterday,with just over 1000 ft climb.Going up through the woods I rolled my ankle,I went over a rock hiding under the leaves,didn't stop me running but it's sore now so no running today.Plus my zip on my Chester mara top has broken after just two runs!

• JD, there is a suitable one along that canal that would be perfect, but it's right smack in the middle of marathon season.
    Not good about the zip or the ankle. I roll my ankles a fair bit - the right one has been sprained so many times the ligaments are like an old lady's knicker elastic so I can roll it with impunity.

7 miles today. Right achilles seems to have traded places with my left high hammy tendon - it has been lovely and quiet so I have an achey left buttock instead. Super. I've had that before so I know what I'm supposed to do to fix it. I think it's aggravated by all the sitting around during my taper and then recovery (particularly as I've been less active than usual due to my cold).
    Ah well, I'm going to sit on my arse in a cinema later this morning - hopefully it won't cause me to fidget too much.
  • Nike Inc. announced today that it has sold [url=https://www.shoesdosale.de/]nike schuhe damen[/url] surf brand Hurley

to management and licensing firm Bluestar Alliance. Terms of the acquisition have not been disclosed, but the deal is

expected to be finalized in December. Founded in 1998 by Bob Hurley, who retired from his post as CEO in 2015, his

eponymous label joined the Nike Inc. family in 2002. Bluestar Alliance CEO Joey Gabbay said the company plans to

leverage Hurley’s influence internationally as a recognized brand to enhance its portfolio, which includes Bebe,

Catherine Malandrino and more labels in diverse categories.
  • Start with your personal brand <a href="https://www.shoesdosale.fr/chaussure-nike-homme/">nike chaussure homme pas

cher</a> positioning. To [organizations facing xxxxx problem or opportunity] [you] can [benefit/solution] because of

[motivation, strengths, fit]. The only three interview questions go to strengths, motivation and fit. You have to nail

those pieces. But they are support for why the person interviewing you should believe you are the solution to their

problem or opportunity.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Good runs all, Cal, hope your legs ease up not cease up. Not convinced I am ever wearing sleeves without a body, but I am partially a running wanker.

Been on a work trip and not run enough this week. Had a couple of nice runs in San Diego, one along the marina which was lovely just at sunrise and the other in Balboa Park, which is full of nice flora and interesting buildings.

• Ouch to the ankle (and the zip) JD.  Hope the former improves quickly.

Do you have to get the spiky ball to your butt Cal?  My planned ultra is a bit more than 50 but is road and not tooo hilly.  (not flat either).  It doesn't need navigation fortunately, especially as it is at night.

Nice international running enrvuk.  

Recovery yesterday at dusk - 6 miles seeing 4 red deer - it is shooting season here but only on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday.  They were sensible to be out in the fields on a Thursday.

Today day off from work and a 8 and a half more miles along the river.  Shame it was a bit dull and damp - the trees are lovely at the moment.  One (large) willow was half nibbled through by a beaver.  Good route to do on a dull weekday afternoon - the paths are quite narrow and plenty of housing not too far off - would be busy on a nice weekend day.   

Have a good weekend.
  • Betting you have nicer weather than us, enrvuk!

Went to Ifield Mill Pond parkrun today (my first parkrun since Yorkshire). It's near Crawley so a couple of trains to get to it, but I wanted my letter "I" for the parkrun alphabet. Anyway, when I was waiting for the train at Clapham Junction, I saw a guy in a tourist cow cowl so I went and said hello. His name was Luke and he was going to Ifield as well so we travelled together. Unfortunately the train was late which meant missing our connection at Crawley so we shared a taxi from Three Bridges. Glad I met him as it would have been a stressful trip otherwise, since I don't use a phone to check on things like connections.
    Got to the venue in plenty of time so I managed my usual mile warm-up. At this point the heavens opened and the wind picked up.
    The course is flat and paved, but it's a complicated three lapper - first you do an out and back, then do a loop, then repeat the whole thing twice more. With the wind and the rain it felt endless. I'm sure it's a lovely location when the weather's nice but I was happy to have it over with.
    My pace did drop with each mile, which I'm not surprised at as this is always the case after a marathon (never mind a marathon and a cold) but I managed to sneak in under 26 minutes and it was good enough for 6th lady. One grey-haired woman came past me towards the end and I reckoned she was my age group and turns out I was right, so just missed out on an age cat 1st but hey, I'm OK with it - first post-marathon parkrun is always tricky.
    After that I was soaking wet and cold. I had the foresight to put my hoody in a plastic bag but I was still cold. Luke and I decided to get a cab to Gatwick, grab a coffee there and then get the train back (he was connecting at Clapham Junction for Woking, where he lives).
    I didn't feel warm until after I'd had lunch!
    Achilles was fine - I think it's settled down now - but I've had a sore groin since the run. Nothing new again but I will have to keep an eye on it. I'll see how it feels in the morning and decide how far to run tomorrow.
    Anyway, got my letter "I" and a new friend, so good day all things considered!
  • 10.1 miles last night! At, for the most part 8:30 minute miles.
    Well pleased with that! The pain came in at mile 4, like it always does, it remained, but then rather than becoming sharp it faded to comfortable, and today no pain!

First double figure run since my injury and the traumatic half marathon a month ago, I really will be more careful.

That sounds a great Parkrun Cal, glad you're feeling a bit better. The running community, for the most part are a friendly bunch I find.

Great run Hazlenut. I didn't realise you were from Switzerland. Apparently a very good standard of living?  I believe you can not own a single pet even if it's a mouse? Good idea in my opinion. What about a tarantula that eats everything though? So many questions..
    How do the youth feel about their conscription service? Fascinating.
    Anyway, sounds lovely where you ran. I saw deer while running in Wales, back to miles of concrete and dual carriageway now evening light is gone. Grim.

Sound's a brilliant work trip enrvuk. My other half's best friend lives in San Diego, so may visit at some point.  I wonder what the fishing is like?

Sounds a pretty epic trail run JD, a bit jealous! Good running, hope the ankle is OK.  In no way as dramatic, but I rolled my ankle a while back on the hatch that housed someone's water stop cock, on the pavement. It had  flipped sideways.  Treacherous! always give it a wide berth now..

There's a big 5 mile race just down the road from me tomorrow, (which is rare) tempted to give it a punt, but not sure if that's pushing my luck.  Will decide tomorrow.

• Nice one, Linton.

Beautiful morning this morning so I also busted out a 10 miler. My left hammy tendon is being a grumpy bugger, though, so I'll have to step up the strength work.

In other news, I've entered my first ultra - a 30 miler in Kent next June. Mostly flat aside from an enormous hill at mile 26 (guess most people will be walking that one!)
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Great warm weather training enrvuk,I'm very jealous.Enjoy your trip.

Great parkrun Cal,trains and cabs that's a dedicated parkrunner.Good news about your first ultra,is it all trail is it?

Nice running Hazelnut. I know they've reintroduced beavers to Scotland a few years ago,against the objections of farmers.Have to agree with you about the trees at the moment,lovely colours.

Linton,I had to laugh about you rolling your ankle on the hatch,the dangers of urban running!Good to hear you're nearly back to normal.

8.14 miles this afternoon along the canal,4 x 1 miles 10k/p.Picked the wrong day for interval training,canal was very busy with walkers,plenty of slalom running to get through the hordes.Hams are still tight,hopefully they'll loosen up before Saturday's race.

• Mostly trail, I think, but good surfaces (I hope!)
  • Woke up today to the perfect running day; cool, sunny, and still. Thought I'd give Deal Tri 5 mile a go. It's only a stone's throw from my house and they're a nice bunch.

Couldn't get parked nearby and was late, as always, so a 3/4 mile tempo run to the venue to warm up! Got there, signed up, and off.

Ran at about 80/90%, a solid effort, but didn't give myself a hiding.

Never ran a 5 miler before, so a little unsure how to pace it, I totally missed the first mile marker!

Came 70 out of 350 ish, with exactly 37 minutes. 7 min 24 sec miles.

It felt good to be (comparitively) zipping along after miles and miles of 8:30-10:30 minute distance slogging the past few months. 

Hip was good! Knee is good! 30 miles in last week.  A rare moment to savour!

Hope you get over the niggles Cal, good 10 miler! 30 miles seems huge! I think I've seen that one advertised, South Downs?  Definitely a huge achievement.

Good run JD, yes it was bedlam today during the race at Deal seafront, how people can saunter about in a pack of runners, utterly unaware is astonishing!

• That's great news LTT.  Well done.  Couple of days of recovery running now?  I am from England originally but live in Switzerland.  Reading / posting here is a good way of combining my favourite hobby with keeping an eye on back home.  Not aware of blanket no single pet rules, some types of animals (farm and pets) may not be kept singuarly though.  Standard of living is high but so are costs. 

Nice parkrun Cal.  Difficult with staying warm in those conditions.   Must get signed up for my races as well.

Maybe take a whistle for your canal runs JD or something else which makes a noise.  Might be difficult to use though in intervals..

4 mile recovery on Saturday and 8 miles with strides yesterday.  Was a bit undisciplined with pacing on the latter run - if I start thinking about races past and future I speed up.  Feel well recovered after my HM.
  • Yesterday was my worst race ever. I cried during it and cried after and now I'm not sure if I want to race cross country ever again.

It was my second ever cross country race, having done the last of the winter league races last year which was muddy enough but yesterday (in a different location) was a complete mudbath.

I'm a reasonable runner, 41:07 10k, 3:26 marathon, so I started near the front but just spent the entire race being overtaken by people dancing through the muddy trail, feeling guilty for getting in their way as my pace slowed to close to a walk for the stickier bits, then picked up onto their heels through the firmer sections. If I go again, I'll be starting in the middle of the pack but still feel like I'll be going backwards through the trickier bits. If it wasn't for the pressure of turning up for my club I'm pretty sure I just wouldn't bother at all, I never want to feel like that at a run again.

I ran in my Brooks Glycerin 17's, so yes, I guess I need trail shoes, but I just don't know where to start with which ones to get. Even then, it was so muddy in some sections that I'm not sure they would make much difference yet others were striding through as if there was nothing there while I battled to stay on my feet doing my best Bambi on ice impression. Is there a different way of running? I feel like I need to have more confidence in my footing and just go for it, but that's really hard when every step felt like I was about to fall over.

Any thoughts on shoes (just whether or not to bother and what to look for) and running technique on mud would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  • Huzzer - If running off-road then I'd definitely invest in some trail shoes. They've got a more grippy sole, like walking boots, so perfect for the muddy conditions. I used to have a pair of Innov8's when I was getting into my trail running round the university, but found that they were just too narrow for my clown feet! Salomon also do some decent trail shoes, and a lot of road shoes also have an off-road variant too so I would start there.

10km on the treadmill tonight. Gutting because my pace and technique was all over the place. Not run since Thursday though...Been doing a lot of 10km runs recently, just helps to pass the time and saves me waiting round for ages for the next bus home - does mean that I'm not getting any recovery runs or easy runs. Perhaps I need to do a few smaller 5km's just to help things along and to help my endurance too.

Took some advice from you folks though and am going to start running outside a bit more! Signed up with the local running club so at least I won't be alone.

Niggling pain continues in my right ankle/soleus. Not had this issue before, nor for the duration of time I've had it (2 weeks). Resting it is doing little to no good either so it's not ideal - going to put ibuprofen gel on it just to stop the inflammation.
  • That's excellent, Linton, especially with the injury progress.
    Hazelnut, I know what you mean about speeding up when you start thinking about races. I do that too.

huzzer, welcome! I don't do XC but a lot of people in my club do. They almost all wear XC spikes so, given the amount of rain we've had lately, that would probably be your best bet.

Malteser - that sounds like the beginning of an achilles problem. Being a long-time sufferer, I recommend you get yourself to a sports physio pronto for a diagnosis and then start on the rehab. The gel won't do much - what you need is to find out why it's happening and then work on strengthening the bits that need it (likely hips and glutes as well as calves). This is definitely something you want to nip in the bud before it becomes chronic.
    Mine has finally quietened down after 18 months of grumbling away and I've done very little resting - it's mostly been down to physio and corrective exercise.

Five miles at recovery pace today. Niggles mostly quiet - achilles good; hammy noticeable but better than Sunday.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Lots of good running, especially LTT with his very rapid 5 miles, impressive. Nice Parkrun Cal, I haven't done one for quite a while now.

JD I've also made the mistake of running along the canal at busy times, I didn't last long! 

Back in blighty with my last very long run before St Neots, 14 miles on Sunday with some speedy bits thrown in. Sights included someone flying a parrot on a string. This was after volunteering on the bag drop for the Regents Park 10k. The three of us were very efficient, seeing people's numbers as they walked over and having their bag to hand when they got there. It's a nice venue for a 10k chip timed race.

This morning I ran 7.5 miles also with some speed play. With some time off I think I am slightly behind where I was for Bournemouth, which is a bit disappointing. 
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Well done Linton,cracking time.Always a good idea to warm up before a  short fast race.Good news that your injuries held up.

Welcome Huzzer.You'll definitely need spikes for XC,says someone who wore trails last year,their ok if the ground is dry and firm but when the ground is saturated and muddy go with the spikes.The last meet of last season I wore my trails when it was a  complete bog and I had a complete nightmare getting round,so you're not the only one.I'm working for all of the XC meets this season,so I don't know if that's a good thing or not!

Malteser, good advice from Cal.I had chronic Achilles problem a few years ago and it wasn't nice.I'm a bit of a tight sod and I youtubed stuff about strengthening your calves and different exercises you can do and it's worked really well,it's kept a lid on it, more or less.Plus I still ice my Achilles after most runs,which I find is great for the inflammation.

Well done on the volunteering enrvuk,I like to see a well drilled bagging area!

Just over 8 miles this afternoon,grey, miserable and cold!

• Tuesdays are rapidly becoming my 10k nights and today was no exception. Got an early afternoon run courtesy of booking the day off work due to a dentist appointment earlier in the day.

There was a pesky side wind and today was the first time I ran with gloves, I took them off somewhere around the 5k mark but I'm glad I had them on until then. The colder weather is still a bit trial and error, but I seem to be making progress.

It felt really hard going but I managed 01:03, which is consistent with my other 10k runs which have been around the same time give or take, I seem to only have one (fairly slow) running speed!
  • Welcome ilofog. It's definitely got a bit more wintery this week.
    Sunny this morning but cold so I had my jacket on for the first time in ages. 8 miles for me at easy pace. Left foot feels a bit cranky so I've booked myself in for a massage next week.
  • Welcome to huzzer84, nice 10k and mara times!  Trail shoes would help in the mud.  For runs / races without hard ground spikes even more.   Technique?  Hmm - practice running in the stuff, use your arms for balance and don't tense up. 

Welcome to ilofog as well.  Well done on your 10k.

Good you are getting out more for your running Malteser and even better that you have signed up to a club to have company on your runs.    

Kudos for volunteering for the bag service enrvuk. 

Hope it was the weather and not you being grey, miserable and cold JD.

Massage will be nice Cal.  Getting colder here too - no gloves yet but lightweight jacket on most runs.

8 and a half miles yesterday lunch and a 4 miler recovery today at lunch.  Pretty squelchy at the moment around the field tracks - at least those pink shoes are going a nice shade of brown. 
  • Thank you Cal and Hazelnut, I'm still finding my feet both on here (figuratively) and with running in general (quite literally)!
  • Thanks Cal and JD. I asked my GP about it (I know it's not a sports physio but I was visiting anyway so thought may as well kill two birds with one stone) and they reckoned it could be tendinitis as it's almost on the bridge of my foot compared to my ankle. Paracetamol should do the trick apparently.

Went running with the running club today, decided to do some hill training and ran 200m/150m/100m descending hill sprints. Managed 5.3 reps in 30 minutes so pleased with that, especially as the gradient change from 100m to 150m, and again from 150m to 200m was dreadful!

Still, really enjoyed it overall and liked the experience of running with other people. Will have to do this 'socialising' thing more often...