My Last Run

Comments

• I have a hard time managing LT runs, Hazelnut, so well done for getting that done. Even MP feels pretty tough on a training run these days - wasn't so bad when it was 9:30 miles but now it's 9s. I have no idea how I managed to do that for 26 miles a few weeks ago.

Easy 16 today. I decided I couldn't be arsed to go to Brockwell Park (I have to cross two very big roads on he way there and back) so I just did an extended version of my mid-week MLR on local roads. A few fairy lights starting to appear in bushes and hedges - I do like seeing those on my dark runs, I admit - and one woman was running in a Santa hat. Perhaps she was volunteering at junior parkrun after her run, or maybe she didn't have another hat - who knows?
    Saw one fox - not seen one on a run for a while - and one abandonned frying pan in the middle of the pavement. Didn't smell any weed, which is unusual for a Sunday morning run - I normally smell it at least twice.
    I did consider throwing in some MP miles, but after a mostly uphill mile at mile 11 I realised my legs had some fatigue in them from yesterday and ended up settling for four sub-10 miles at the end of the run. With the extra mileage yesterday to get me to and from Wimbledon parkrun, I've ended up hitting 51 miles for the week, so more sensible to keep things relatively easy today. My left glute isn't aching too much (the high hamstring tendinopathy can make it uncomfortable to sit on my arse after a long run, and I feel pretty much OK).
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Good mileage Cal, 51 miles in a week is some going! You'll be looking at ultra schedules soon. Very good effort on the parkrun Londone. Are you considering the NYD double? I'm looking at Groveland and then Oak Hill. http://tailrun.uk/nyd/2020/uk/ is handy if you haven't seen it. 

Having a coach sounds fun Hazel, looks like an interesting run thrown in there, even if it was tough.

No noticeable IT twinges in my 10k today. It was fun to run a race on my 'home training ground' of Regent's Park. It stays in the top half of the park and is 3 laps. My first km was a bit quicker than I usually go off, 5:03 rather than 5:30. I think because of that it never felt truly comfortable today, but the time was okay. Only shock was thinking I had to run the last Km in 4:50 to reach my 53 goal time. It turned out that the 6km sign was upside down! Final time was 51:34, which is technically a 7:38 PB, but that's mainly because I've not done a flatish one in sensible weather before. Splits were 17:15, 17:25 and 16:53. My Brother In Law, who also ran Bournemouth and St. Neots with me managed a return to form with 50:25, so a good day all round.
  • Well done enrvuk! Nice chunk off your PB. Well done to your BIL too.

Good 16 miles Cal, you are a good bit ahead of me on the long runs at the moment on similar mileage. I should be up to 16 in a few weeks. I like some lights too at this gloomy time of year, it's fun taking note of who puts up what when.  A modest set was attached here yesterday already!  A jump in training paces takes time to get used to I guess. My MP based on my HM PB is quite a bit quicker than my old mara PB pace, will be trying it out over the next weeks, but might be too much.

HM distance today for first time since my HM some 5 weeks ago in 1:55:xx. Felt quite hard work, put in a few extra undulations which wasn't maybe a good idea as my right calf was a bit niggly.  The left leg could have done more.
  • Compromised on 9 miles @ 9.15 min. miles tonight. Very well muffled up! Not sure if that was a great idea or not, but great to get out after a week of feeling shite. Saw 3 foxes and ran with a mouse for a short while, which was a first, I was envious as he had explosive sprint speed! How fast can mice run?
    Edit: 8mph!, the equivalent of a human running 160mph.

Felt cranky, awful actually, but knew I would with it being my first run in a week, and since last weekends race. I could feel those quick miles downhill in my legs from last weekend, I underestimated how much I put in that day.

Good PB enrvuk, nice one! Always a good day.  I'm with you re. Ibuprofen.  I had a couple of days taking them at max dose when my hip was bad before stopping, not worth it. Amazing how many people at races seem to take them though.

Great Half marathon Hazlenut, great training plan too, sounds awesome.

Huge weekly mileage Cal, that's amazing! I 'm gutted to only managed 9 this week lol. Hefty 16 miler too. I'm getting apprehensive now of long runs to come.  I've got such a record of injury I hope everything holds together!

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    enrvuk - provided the tube is running, I aim to do Canons (should be my last London parkrun done) and Gladstone, as they're a couple of stops apart on the Jubilee. Oak Hill/Grovelands looks like a good double - done both of them. Both tarmac - Oak Hill is a little faster. Grovelands has an incline you have to do three times - it seems mild on the first lap but gets quite tiring on the third.
    Well done on the 10K - that's slightly faster than my PB. I don't do a lot of 10Ks mind you - though I have one in two weeks (Victoria Park).

Linton, well done. Yes, mice are fast buggers - been infested with them a few times, though not recently thank god. I see rats quite often on the common - they can shift as well.

Hazelnut - my right calf is pretty tight, too. Not really surprised after tromping around in mud in low drop shoes. I wore calf sleeves today just for extra insurance. Well done on the 13.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    We done on your 10k PB envruk,very good result.Good luck with your consultation tomorrow .

Great mileage Cal,racking up the the mileage again.I'm struggling to knockout 15 at the moment.

Good consistent running as usual Hazelnut.

Nice running Linton,hope you're feeling better.

Not much running this week.Hurt my left knee Friday when I tripped and my left knee made a hell of a crack.Spent the weekend at my sil in Esher,so dosed myself up with ibuprofen Friday evening,so hopefully be ok for Bushy parkrun.
    Up handy Saturday morning and my knee was just about runable,drove the three miles to Bushy park but wasn't too sure where the start was.I bumped into a load of runners from the Clapham Pioneers,who told me to the tag on to them,which was great.
    The start was crazy with the amount of runners and found it really hard to get into any  rythymn.I saw signs about not feeding the deer but I didn't see any but heard plenty of parakeets.My knee was very sore by 4K,so I was happy when I finished.Time of 21:15 was better than expected.
    Took my girls ice skating at Hampton Court Palace in the afternoon,which didn't help my knee but good fun anyway.
    Thought I would run to Bushy park for a longish run this morning as my knee felt good.Managed to run 1 mile when my knee started clicking and started hurting again,so called it a day and walked back to my sil.Going to rest my knee for a couple of day and see how it is.

• I hope your knee is OK, JD. Good job on the parkrun - those Pioneers are very visible in their orange, eh?
  • 5K yesterday first proper run in over 2 years - Learnt so much about myself and also where I want to be. Had a lot of mental health challenges. I have also put on a lot of weight went from 11 stone to nearly 18.

I really enjoyed yesterday didnt have the kit I should have had on really it was a charity fun run and also had my 10 year old with me. It was great fun.

I missed my superfeet footbeds, pace was off, lot of walk run walk run, head got cold so made me feel bit mentally fatigued. Need to also work out why my quads are so painful think that is because the pace was my sons and not mine.
  • Welcome, Charlton - is that your name or are you from South London? Your legs are probably sore as you're not quite used to it yet - give them a bit of a stretch and try and keep moving today, as getting blood into the muscles will help them repair themselves. I definitely recommend a hat when it's as cold as it is at the moment!

9 miles with 7 progression today and 2 cool-down, same as last week (well, almost - today I actually ran 15K as I hit 9 miles at the top of the road and wasn't going to stop that far from my house because it was cold). Checking my stats after, they were actually incredibly similar so I guess I need to step it up next time I do this workout. Cadence was silly again too - 192 for the last two fast miles (9:10 and 8:53 - the former was slightly uphill so stride was shorter).
    Two races coming up - 5K on the track on Saturday and a 10K the following weekend. Only my second 10K of the year, would you believe?
    Oh and I've decided on an Autumn marathon for next year. I'm going to Chicago! (Anyone want to buy a kidney?)
  • Welcome, Charlton! Good to hear you're getting back into running again, I've been in a similar situation this last year.

Have fun with Chicago, Cal! Very nice! 

Been a really crappy week in terms of running. Last week I was due to run on Wednesday with the club, but instead had a buyer for my car lined up. Buyer never turned up and it was too late to change into my gear and head out with the club.

Vowed to run the day after, but after gearing out and venturing into the freezing cold I thought '**** it' and turned around after 150 metres to head back to the warmth...oops.

Didn't run on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday due to work plans, laziness, actually selling my car (woohoo!) and spending time with the fiancée. Did my legs some good, though, as the niggling pains had more or less disappeared come Sunday evening.

Did 6 miles with the club last night at about 8:55min/mile pace. Was quite nice being back out, even if my hands were freezing - took me until 3 miles to get blood circulation into my hands! Ordered myself a pair of gloves. Right leg niggled again, but I think the pain in my left leg is from my hips, so I need to do some strength straining on those.

Ordered a pair of Hoka Clifton 6's in a 2E width so they should arrive soon. Was toying between them and the Brooks Glycerin 17's (again in a 2E width) for months! My Asics are starting to feel heavy and sluggish now, so felt it time to replace them. If the Hoka's don't work out, then I'll order the Brooks.
  • 5 miles. Still feel slow, ponderous, and chesty, and STILL can feel those hills. Got out though. Going to attempt 15 at the weekend.

Nice run Malteser, glad you're getting some gloves, vital!

Nice run Cal, Chicago sounds cool! As does a 5k on a track, enjoy.

Welcome Charlton, nice one mate.  Running is hugely beneficial to mental health, really meditative.  Glad you enjoyed it.

Not great about the knee JD, hope it's just a blip. Swift Park run anyway.
  • The hills will get easier over time LTT.  I have to chase mice around my flat every now and then as I get presents from the cats..

Not good on the knee JD - any better in the meantime?  If not I would get it looked at if you haven't done so.  Good parkrun!

Welcome charlton and great work on the 5k!

Nice progression run Cal.  And great plans for next year.  If I remember right you have Tokyo, your first ultra and then Chicago.

Cold takes some getting used to Malteser.  I suffer badly from cold hands - under 5 degrees I have to set out with gloves.  Can recommend thin liner type ones.  I wouldn't worry about a couple of days off, in particular if it eased your niggles.  Good news regarding the car. 

A bit short of 9 miles with my group yesterday evening.  Clear evening but cold at around -3.  Just some of the ladies out (come on blokes - get out the tights!).  Calf better after a rest day on Monday but not 100%. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    That's right, Hazelnut...plus Manchester (I really hope I can recover in time after Tokyo - it's the shortest gap I've attempted thus far, just 5 weeks).
    I'm wearing gloves around 8 degrees and less although I have those thin Ron Hill ones. I'll sometimes still be wearing a T-shirt but have gloves on. Today was a lot more - long sleeves, jacket, fleecy headband and a light buff. It was around 2 degrees and seemed to get colder rather than warmer as the sun rose.
    It was a bit of a strange run today. Went out early (5:40am) and did the first couple of miles around 10:30 pace but then stopped looking at the Garmin because it was meant to be an easy run (12 miles). Found out when I reviewed my splits after that I got a lot slower! I averaged 10:45 pace, which is pretty slow, and there was even one mile at 11:19!

I think what happened was  I was able to run freely for the first couple of miles as I was on well-lit main roads, but when I transitioned to the side roads and the lighting was more sparse and the pavements a bit bumpier, I obviously checked my stride (a lot!). Strangely, while it was dry when I went out, it also got frostier and more slippery later into the run, so that had an impact too.
    Ah well, it's done. Did a faster run yesterday so I'm not going to worry about it.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Welcome Charlton,well done on your first run in over two years and that you  enjoyed yourself.Hope you stick at it. 

Chicago will be brilliant Cal,you're racking up the air miles with your international marathons.Yes,the Clapham Pioneers vest is very orange and visible,stands out a mile.Very friendly bunch,had a long walk to the start with them so had a nice chat with them.

The more hills you do Linton, the easier it becomes, apparently.

Nice run Hazelnut.I'm still in my shorts and tshirt.On Saturday's parkrun most runners were wearing tights and warm kit,I felt really self conscious that I was in shorts and tshirt.

Got myself out today,wasn't too sure how far I was going to run.Knee felt a bit stiff but the clicking had stopped,and the soreness has disappeared.In the end managed 6 gentle miles,so very happy with that.

• Cheers for the advice, Hazel, I got myself some thin Nike gloves and they seemed to work a treat tonight!

Did what was supposed to be a gentle run tonight for 34 minutes with the club, but hit the afterburners and decided to treat it more as a speed session...whoops! The competitive side of me always gets me whenever I run 4 miles in 33 minutes averaging 8:21min/mile, was the first one to the halfway checkpoint and the first one back to base, too, after sprinting the last 200m or so. Got stitch most of the way back, which was a bit of a killer, but ahh well.

Been plotting a 9 mile route for Saturday just to try clocking up the miles again. Would like to try hitting 10 miles by Christmas but that may be biting off more than I can chew.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the niggles are wearing off for everyone, really good news. Pleased for you Malteser and JD! Good club running malt and nice to see you back gently pounding out the miles JD. 

Cal, very exciting program next year! Going to be one to remember. You’ve got the fitness for it. I’m sure we will enjoy it vicariously. Good miles as ever with a very early start. Well done. 

Hazel, very committed running. I’d by fine at -3, but the potential frost might hold me back. I do suffer with cold fingers, gloves or not. At whitstable parkrun I couldn’t feel my little finger at all. Hope the calf gets to 100% quickly. 

Welcome Charlton are you a Valley visitor?

Two easy 6k runs for me, one Monday one tonight, sandwiching a day trip to Amsterdam with no time for a run. My physio appointment today was in a very smelly boxing gym, although the physio room was not smelly. Given that I had quite a few to choose from, I think choosing the nearest was an error! The guy was friendly and agreed with the IT band diagnosis, gave me two starter exercises and that was that :-) 
  • Better to be careful and slower if the conditions are not so great than end up on the pavement Cal.  And as you say - you did a good progression run so a slower one won't have hurt.

Brr to t-shirt and shorts JD - I might in a race depending on conditions but I'm feeling the cold this winter so far.  Good news on your knee. 

If you can do the 9 miles Malteser then 10 won't be too much of a jump to be achieved by Christmas.  Wise to build gradually. 

Ouch to the IT band enrvuk - never had it but read about it enough.  Hope the exercices help fast.

5 miles yesterday at lunchtime - somewhat undisciplined pacewise (too fast - again!).  Paid for it today at lunchtime on an undulating 11 miler - legs weren't too amused by the up bits and I was pretty hungry by the end.  I had got an emergency energy bar with me but only had about 20 minutes left to run and told my stomach to shut up complaining.  It tends to go from not hungry to very hungry within a couple of minutes, some mild warnings would be nice.   Farmers are currently very active spreading smelly substances everywhere. 
  • You'll be fine with 10 miles, Malteser (so long as you don't try to go too fast, eh?)

Yesterday was one of those days where I couldn't bring myself to do anything at all, so I ran today instead. 8 miles easy, which was mostly OK - I wanted to do some strides in the last mile but the gusts of wind were freaking me out so it was all a bit half-arsed. Never mind. 5K track race tomorrow - hope I can manage a decent time. Despite being on a nice, flat track, I've never managed to run as fast there as I have in my best parkruns, though that could be because it comes at the end of the year when I'm all raced out. There's mulled wine, anyway.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

How long will your IT band take to clear up,envruk?That's one thing I haven't had.

Hazelnut,that's the problem running at lunchtime,you can start to feel hungry,at least you were carrying emergency rations.Muck spreading really does open up your airways!

Good luck with your 5k track race Cal,strange time of year to be racing on a track.Enjoy your mulled wine.

You'll be ok with 10 miles, Malteser, just pace yourself.

5 miles yesterday,knee okish but my left calf is sore now,it's strapped up now.Really frustrasting the last few weeks, lots of little niggles,I'll see how it is tomorrow.

• Got out and did the 9 miles this morning - think original nerves were from not running more than 7 miles before. It was quite warm once I started to get going, which was nice. A bit of a hilly 9 miles. 

First time trying to fuel using jelly babies - was okay, just strange trying to eat and run at the same time, will have to get more practice in. Same with drinking, too. Pace was all over the place but managed to do 8:54min/mile average so cannot complain with that - 1:23hrs moving time so happy it came in under 1:30. 

Knees ache again, think I may have overextended a few strides when picking up the pace, or my shoes are in need or replacing - good job I am heading out to pick up my new pair now haha. Got severe chaffage, too, so may need to look at better running underwear for longer distances.
  • Malteser, you probably jarred your knees on the downhills. Happens to me sometimes.
    As for chaffing, you need some lube (some runners swear by Body Glide but I use good old Vaseline - it works). Rub it wherever your clothes have seams or ends. I used to get a hellish amount of chaffing around the crotch (basically where your knicker/pant leg would touch), under my boobs and under my arms if I'm wearing a vest rather than a shirt, so I make a point of greasing myself up before long runs. Having said that, I think your skin does toughen up as I don't usually get any issues unless I'm running in excess of two hours.

5Ks today. After my customary 1 mile warm-up I donned my magic shoes and lined up on the track. I was in the slowest race, which was 22:30 and up. There was a 24 minute pacer, but while I thought I'd try to stick with him, I found I couldn't. I ended up running on my own at the back, but kept a pretty even pace throughout despite this. Finished plum last, as per usual, but my time was around 24:36 which is a 5K race PB, even if it is almost half a minute slower to my fastest parkrun (I have still not come anywhere close to that since, so it could be that course was a little short - either that or I was on fire that day). So, can't be disappointed with that, even if I'd hoped to be a bit closer to 24. Still waiting on an official time.
    Somewhat annoyinging, my Garmin had trouble measuring the track so my mile splits seemed to indicate a sub-24 was on, and it gleefully informed me of my new 5K PB afterwards. However, it measured it at 3.2 miles, so it wasn't to be trusted.
    I made up for that disappointment by drinking three cups of mulled wine.
  • 15 miles! My longest run to date and into new territory. Looks like bumpy weather here tomorrow so bought the long run forward a day.

Ran at a super cautious 11:30 minute miles as I think I'm going to have to be respectful now to avoid new/old injuries.

Felt like I was on my feet a long time, I was really.  My right foot went numb, then pins and needles, then was OK.  Still can't shift this awful cough. Practiced fuelling, a lucozade and 3 jelly babies per 5 miles! Even at such a slow pace feel pretty done in now. Had the realisation that the gulf between half and full marathon is a vast chasm that's a bit scary! 

Great club run Hazlenut, I did my first sub zero run this week, nearly ended up on my arse a couple of times on unseen ice! Poor show from the blokesin your club! I'm in tights now, do feel restricted in them, but I reckon they must give you better odds against injury.

Nice long run Cal, I'm also well wrapped up now. The race shorts and vests firmly away for the time being!  I know exactly what you mean about running on dimly lit road. I hate it! Always think I'm going to trip on some unseen obstacle.Really makes me nervous! You have an amazing year of running planned! Good luck with the track race. Just seen it was good, especially the mulled wine!

Glad the knee is heading in the right direction JD! I've had that clicking/ clonking cartilage in the knee thing, not great. Glad it's getting better. Just read your next post, you're still niggly. Fingers crossed for improvement.

Nice running Malteser.  Good luck with the 10 miler, a good milestone. As said though build gradually! If I could have given myself one piece of advice a year ago...

Glad you got a diagnosis with the IT band enrvuk.  Nice runs around work.  Whitstable Parkrun? I grew up in Whitstable! Small world. The Parkrun is along the prom I believe.

Had a well needed couple of hours on the sofa after a busy week and found I still had this year 's VLM recorded. Forgot what a spectacle it was!

• Well done, Linton. I remember being chuffed as hell the first time I ran 15. Sensible to bring it forward a day. Today was very windy.

I did 18 miles today and the best thing I can say about it was that I got it done. Getting pushed around by gusts was freaking me out and I ended up going very slowly for most of it - over 11 minute miles. I didn't get up to my normal easy pace until the last few miles. Had quite a few aches too. Anyway, glad it's over.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    JD1, it isn't more than a slight twinge today, but I assume it could flare up if I don't get ahead of it. It is very uncomfortable when flaring and I'm considering asking for a standing desk at work. Basically the physio said to me, you're an old man and you have to do more strength work to keep the supporting muscles strong :-) So the exercises continue ad infinitum, two so far and more to come. Sorry to hear about your aches and pains, I know how frustrating it is. Perhaps you need a little physio time as well? Well done on getting the miles in anyway.

Cal, sounds like a pretty good 5k to me and a pb is a pb. I think running on a track an be physically and mentally tougher than expected. It’s monotonous and there is a lot of running on bends. Good job on the 18 miles too. As you say, sometimes it’s just about getting the miles under your belt. 

Hope you enjoy your new shoes Malt. Good miles yesterday. 

Great distance Linton, heading towards marathon training territory now. My furthest is still 14. Yes, Whitstable parkrun is a of the lovely prom style one and very friendly. 

Hazel, I'm with you on fine to hungry quickly. It's easy on very long runs because I take gels based on time, but I struggle on intermediate distances. Mind you, the farmers pong might curb my appetite. Good running Hazel, how many miles have you managed in 2019?

Yesterday I did Highbury Fields Parkrun for the 2nd time, it's odd in that it goes past my old front door, where BoJo often 'shuffled' past in long shorts. Managed 25:06 which is my 2nd fastest anywhere. It's not that hilly for one lap, but multiply the slope by 6 and it takes its toll. According to https://jegmar.com/stats-hq/fastest-races/parkrun/ it's the 338th flattest Parkrun but in effect I'd say it's close to the easier end, being on tarmac and with relatively short not too steep hills. I then did a long leisurely run back via the Regent's Canal and up to the Park and over Primrose Hill. 

At a bit of a loss right now as I have no races booked!

• I agree about Highbury, and really any of the lapped parkruns that have an incline - doesn't seem much at first but it does start to wear you down.
    Get a race booked, then! What distance do you fancy?
  • Not so good news on the niggles JD.   Maybe a low mileage week would help?

Well done on the distance PBs Malteser and LTT.   Good idea to practice fuelling so you know what you can cope with.  

Ouch to the chafing Malteser.  Flat seams on the runderwear are a good idea.  Enjoy your new shoes.   

Well done on the 5k Cal.  Like the post race recovery drink.  I would have been flat on the floor on 3 cups of mulled wine.  I think most GPS have issues measuring accurately on the track.

Like your physio's comment about needing to do more to keep the working parts going as you get older enrvuk.  Nice parkrun.  Mileage is at 2150ish, more than I had planned for the whole of 2019.  Need to be careful not to do too much but unwilling to back off now with ongoing base training and a Spring mara looming.  

Ran each day since my last post, 6 miles on Friday on a 1km loop nearby with a stride per loop.  Saturday, group training with drills, core work, pacing tests, stretching followed by a solo 5k at very disciplined recovery pace.  The pacing tests were interesting - we were sent off with the task of arriving back after 5 minutes - pace to be selected individually and no looking at the watch.  First attempt 4:50 at a fairly swift pace.  Second attempt at a slower pace I was back within 4 mins.  Whoops.  Today, just short of 14 miles.  Plan was 10k at long run pace then 10k at MP and the rest cool down.  Rode my moped to the start of my run, opened up the seat for my gear and found - errm no running shoes…  Whoops again.  OH was at home and was willing to drive in my direction with the missing shoes.  Back to the start again.  With all the faffing around I got a bit cold and had to set off faster than planned to warm up.  That set a theme for the whole run and rather than doing a marathon pace 10k I ran more or less progressively ending with 1k at LT pace.  Felt good though.  Nice to meet one of my teammates just back from a run of his own though only a short chat as it was getting chilly.  Rest day tomorrow.
  • I'm not new to running, but I'm pretty new to this forum. My last run (today) was a massive achievement for all involved...

Today 8 runners and 15 mountain bike riders from our small village in Derbyshire set off on a 21 mile run/30 mile ride to raise money for a local 8-year-old with stage 4 cancer. His only hope is to raise £100k to go to America for treatment. It was great to see the village pulling together to support his plight. We all completed the event and descended off the moor into our village together. We've raised almost £5k for the event so far. If anyone would like to support us my Just Giving page is:

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/emma-wild-3?utm_term=MrQyywRaW

Many thanks Emma
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Well done on your 5k PB,Cal.Not the best conditions to run 18 miles today,all in the bank anyway.

Congrats on your longest run to date,Linton.Were you stopping at your petrol station for your Lucozade or did you stash it.I get a bit nervous running on unlit country roads,constantly looking straight down,dodging potholes.

Nice parkrun envruk.I rememeber that photo of Bojo in those shorts,suppose it's better than tights though.I have a couple races lined up for early next year,give me some focus with my training.

• enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Amazing distance Hazel, that is some going. Quite rightly , you’ve seen the results in your races. The training sounds fun. Anything that mixes it up helps. Enjoy your rest day. 
    What distances are you racing JD? 
    Cal, you’re right I need a race planned. I do have free entry to the Regents Park 10k on 5/1, but I’m going to find a 10 mile race I think. Something a bit different. 
    Went out just after sunset today and ran 10 miles at hr zone 2 with the last mile in zone 3. Didn’t feel too bad. It was dark by the end and the biggest danger was bumping into other runners on the Park’s outer circle. There were quite a few out there. I’ve added some reflectors and led lights to my Christmas list as mrs rv worries every time I go out after dark. 
    Oh noticed there were 6 new parkruns  this weekend. Amazing how successful it is. 
    Have a good week all. 
  • enrvuk -  there's Tadworth 10 on Epsom Downs on 5th January (though that clashes with Regents Park). I've opted for a nice 10K in Battersea Park that day so I can't join you but I know some peeps that are doing it. It's a mix of trail and path so you'll likely need trail shoes and it's a bit hilly but a lot of people seem to love it.
    Runthrough's Lee Valley Velopark event has a choice of distances including 10 miles - the next one is 25th Jan.
    Yes, bumper weekend for parkruns!