My Last Run

Comments

• So, from a good parkrun to a dreadful one in a couple of days. I went to Walthamstow - I wasn't particularly looking forward to this one as it's three laps of playing fields and was called off last week due to waterlogging. But as it's one of two London runs I have left to do, it had to be done (and I was meeting Nessa there, who used to post on the forums as Nessie a while back).
    Run-wise it was pretty disastrous - very muddy and my light trail shoes were not up to the job, so I ran my slowest parkrun ever (excluding the one I tail-walked) - 29:55. But it was friendly - the RD gave me a shout-out and despite my crap time I was 6th lady and 1st in age group. Plus, it's done, which frees me up to finish Lon-Done on NYD. Hurrah!
  • 20km-ish on boxing day
    one of the better ways to get away from the mother in law for a couple of hours  :D
  • Welcome, drisie.

Another 20 in the bag, but quicker. More or less the same route as last week (couple of minor variations) and still a fairly slow start but not quite as slow (only four miles over 11) and once I got to Dulwich I picked up a bit. (Dulwich seems to have smilier runners and nicer dogs than Brockwell - probably down to it being a little more affluent). Last week's run was pretty slow - just over 3:37 - but once I'd got within two miles of home I realised I could get under 3:30 if I pushed on. I didn't get up to MP but the last mile was my pre-Yorkshire MP (a smidge under 9:30) so I finished in 3:29:47.

Most of my bodyparts behaved pretty well, although I did get some twinges under the arches of my feet - mostly the left one. It's probably a combination of low-drop shoes and mud yesterday making my calfs and post-tibs rather tight, but in any case, this was the last run for my current pair of Epics, which have now exceeded 700 miles. They're meant to last 600 but I always squeeze another 100 or so out of them as they don't really show any wear. I'm rather curious to see if a fresh pair will improve my speed any (there were no 11+ miles during my 9 miler in Manchester, when I wore the Zoom Flys I'd taken for the parkrun).
    Right, I'm now going to marinate myself in Epsom Salts.
  • Seems you need a bit longer recoverywise LTT. Otherwise very short and slowwww.

Hope the eventful nature of your festive season was primarily positive enrvuk

Nice mileage JD, sounds positive.

Hope Nessie is well Cal. Wouldn't worry about your parkrun time, your placing sounds decent. Nice 20 too. Bet that bath felt good.  Enjoy the new shoes. 

Running is definitely a good way of escaping MILs driesie. Welcome.

Tough double for me this weekend. 8.5 yesterday afternoon with 24mins @ LT pace (3.37 miles covered). Fairly windy and one corner on my loop was a bit muddy so a few seconds off pace but good effort anyway.  This morning 16 miles on tired legs.  Kept the pace down at around the slower end of my long run pace.  Took one gel with me and did neck it this time which did perk me up a bit. Pleased to be into proper long run distances (just) before the end of the year.
  • Well done Hazelnut. Nessie's well - she's had her hands full with looking after her mum. She's spent this year trying to rekindle her love of running after the 2018 London Marathon put her down in the dumps (it was the hot year) and feels ready to have another crack at a PB next year. She's going to do Shakespeare, which I don't know too much about.
  • Any pics of the reindeer Guarddog? Nice to see you drop in here.

Sounds normal LTT. Try to stay away from ill people yet as your immune system might still also be a bit down. Walk must have been nice along the coast.

Nice they took another two seconds off of your time Cal. Good follow up run too.

5 miles recovery this afternoon, yet again treated to a sunset (wet earlier). Nice to have some time on my own.
    There is one HazelnutCH. I'll try and get it off the phone 😀
  • As with last week, I had to get a run done today (normally a rest day) as I'm busy tomorrow morning. (I'm actually off to an early showing of the new Star Wars movie. I may squeeze in a short run later if I can be arsed, but being a morning person, I find if I don't go out early, I don't tend to go out at all).
    I was awake early so I went out at just before half past five. It was cold but clear at that point and my early miles were at a normal recovery pace (10:40s). However, as I got on to the less well lit roads, my pace dropped, and then it became foggy and frost started to form so it dropped even more as I became cautious with my footing. I decided at that point that I shouldn't try to push for double figures and would settle for 8, but I hit 8 miles a good half mile from home so I looped around another road to make it 9 and injected some strides to get my legs working properly again. It was still dark when I got back.
  • 4 miles again. Got to 3 miles before bad knee pain kicked in today.  Managed to carry on jogging, but painfully. I think deep down I knew my knee was going to play up as I started longer distances, as it always does and has. Still disappointed.  Please don' t be a long term thing! I've just received 2 pairs of trainers for Christmas!

Nice early run Cal, great to do that before daylight! What did you think of new Starwars? Bit too busy for me. Awesome to do 20 miles! 

Great double run Hazlenut! I need to look at gels if I get fit again. Nice LT run.

Hi Driesie. I went for a long walk boxing day with my OH. Never been good at staying indoors too long.

Good run JD! How long after your marathon (admittedly waaay better executed than mine!) Until you got back to double figure runs? How long until you felt "back to normal".  

Hi enrvuk. As stated, hopefully good eventful! Good to get a couple of runs in.

Happy new year all. One more day of regular rum rather than a regular run!

• I'm seeing it tomorrow, Linton - I'll let you know.
    I'd take some time off if I were you. Are you seeing a physio?
  • Hopefully you enjoy the film Cal. I saw it on Saturday and thought it was the best of the recent three.

Good 4 miles LTT, but as Cal says might be an idea to rest up and see a physio. My partner is having problems with her IT band at the moment and has had to reduce her running, so she's not participating in tomorrow's Hangover 5 (first league race of the season). Did do a rather gentle 3.5 miles with her last night.

As requested Hazelnut the photo from Christmas Day:-

• Excellent, Guarddog - that must have been hot to run in! Yes, did enjoy it. It really does feel like a rehashing of the original trilogy but it also ties it up rather nicely.
  • Thanks for the great pic Guarddog.  If it does get properly cold this winter you know what you will be running in.  From your post I guess you are racing tomorrow?  If so - good luck.  Hope your partner's IT band improves quickly.  

Very early running Cal!  I remember Nessie's London mara well as I tried to do one on the same day and failed due to the heat.  I still think she did very well to get round as she did - even if it wasn't the result she was looking for.  I also understand any disappointment though as she put in a lot of training.  I liked the original SW films but didn't really like the new ones.  

+1 to visiting the physio LTT.  Which shoes did you get for Christmas?  Like the rum and run connection.

8 miles done earlier this afternoon to finish the year on 2312 miles - my highest ever.  Said it last year already that I would not increase my mileage further and will try to stick to it in 2020.  Only one standard distance PB over HM (-4 mins, down to 1:34:32) but several course PBs and a few AG race podiums (mostly thanks to moving up an age group).  Two other PB attempts over 10k and 10 miles didn't deliver the goods (both primarily due to the weather - once bloody windy and once bloody hot).  Decent sort of year though.  Time to return to the maras (Hamburg in April).

Probably won't run tomorrow so Happy New Year everyone!
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Fantastic yearly mileage Hazelnut.That's a good chunk of your HM PB as well, a good running year for you.

Nice final run of the year Cal.I still think the very first Stars Wars is the best,a timeless classic.

Nice pic Guarddog,you look very toastie in it.

Linton,that was my first double figure run since Chester mara,physically I felt fine a few days after the mara but because I had such a poor run I felt a lack of motivation for a while,in fact it's still plays on my mind why I had such a poor race.

6 miles today,including 6 x 0.5m @ 10kp.Bit of a mixed bag running wise this year.Hoped to get my HM nearer 1:30 and 10k sub 41,but didn't hit my targets,so they'll be my targets again for 2020.

I was supposed to be racing the Wirral HM Sunday,but my wife's in York this weekend looking after her ill Gran and my parents and brother's family are all in Oz,so have no one to look after the kids,so I'll have to find another race for January.

Happy New Year to all of you.

• Today's pairings were Canons Park, up the end of the Jubilee Line, and Gladstone, a few stops further down. Canons was my final London parkrun to do, so it was a bit of a special occassion (I also earned my Pirates badge, for those that have the challenges extension). There were a few other Chasers there, although they all went on to do Harrow, which I'd done recently and didn't want to do again just yet.
    Canons is a flattish three lapper (a bit of an incline, but nothing too taxing) on mixed surfaces. On a good day it could be a fast-ish course, but it was busy and I found myself hampered quite a bit during the opening stages as they don't seem to start in time order, like at Tooting. The trail part through the woody bit was sandy so not too bad, but then a muddy bit followed. I had my trails on but had to slow a bit there.
    Not a great time - 26:53 (I'd hoped for better, honestly) but I am now LonDone - at least until another one starts.

Then it was back on the tube to Gladstone. This is a hilly one - I did it back in 2018 during the summer and ran 26:17 then. Today would be slower. It's mostly paved but with a muddy grass finish and a lovely submerged path which you could either plough through or skirt about on the muddy grass. I chose the ford option.
    However, the RD had a surprise for us - as today is a special event, we would run the course in reverse. That meant the steepst hill would be a descent rather than an ascent - something that didn't please me due to my aversion to running downhill. It also meant more gradual ascents, and it definitely seemed tougher this way around.
    My right ankle (a bit of achilles, a bit of post tib) did not enjoy this - the combo of low drop trail shoes and going downhill pissed it off a bit and I'm hoping it won't have caused a longer term problem.
    Time here was slow - 28:04, but it's another double done.

Happy New Year all.
  • I tried to convince the running club that the reindeer onesie was the new offering from Underarmour, Hazelnut. They weren't buying it. Which in retrospect I shouldn't have either. Well done on the run and the yearly mileage.

Good effort with the 6 miler JD1, although shame about missing Wirral. Hopefully you'll find another one soon.

Great double PRs Cal. That is some effort and good times. And great photo.

Hangover Five this morning. 11:30 start so at least a bit of a lie-in and I hadn't overly imbibed the night before. Did have a stiff back from Tuesday's gym session so wasn't expecting much.

Conditions were surprisingly good, softish ground but not too muddy. Tough first half which is uphill and includes a  brutal 200m climb. Never 
    likely to score points so was about who I could pass from the club. Managed to beat two who I don't normally get near, but one of those had got through 3 bottles of red wine the previous night and the other I don't think is at the same stage with their training. Did manage to take 2 minutes off last year's time with conditions being slightly worse than last year. 

And on the cake competition front I believe my banana loaf just about beat my partner's lemon sponge with raspberry cream filling. Not that it is a competition.

Happy New Year all.
  • Shame you won't be able to race on Sunday JD. Hope your family isn't affected by the fires in Australia.

Well done on Londone and the parkrun double Cal. Like the tights. How is the ankle now?

Sounds like a good race Guarddog, well done to you too. Hmm cake! The sponge sounds delicious but I also like banana loaf.

First run of the year done this afternoon. 10.5 miles. Was out (hilly) hiking yesterday. Legs were a bit grumbly from that but did an undulating route nonetheless.  Disturbed two ponies munching hay and had to put in a short stop to distribute some calm down pats.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Nice double Cal,snazzy leggings as well.

Nice race Guarddog,two minutes off last year's race is good going.I would have gone for the lemon sponge cake .

I've done a few calm down pats over the years Hazelnut,I'm a bit wary of horses.Good start to the year for you.The fires haven't affected my family,luckily.

Managed to squeeze in a 5.1 miles this morning,before I had to take the decorations down,also got a gym class in this evening.

• Well, I felt shite yesterday - I was sneezing a bit on Wednesday and yesterday I woke up feeling shattered and generally rubbish. No snot or cough, just poorly. So I did nothing (I actually went back to bed for a bit, which is unlike me as I am a morning person and don't like lounging in bed) and then when I woke up today I felt quite a bit better.
    I'd planned a MLR for yesterday but as I've parkrun tomorrow and a 10K on Sunday, I didn't think it was a good idea to try and do it today so I settled for 8 miles, which went quite well.
    It was raining early on so I did wait for that to stop before going out, and I just went out in a long sleeved top and gloves. I felt quite hot after the first mile and regretted the sleeves, then took the gloves off, but then a cold wind started and I regretted taking the gloves off. And then it started to rain again, and I regretted not wearing a jacket. But at the end I was happy to have done the run as, in spite of heavy legs, it felt OK - normal easy pace with the last three miles at MP+1 (because at that point I was being pelted with cold rain and wanted it over with!)
    Saw a nice tuxedo kitty and I said hello and he mewed back at me.
  • Seems the rest day stopped a lurgy in its tracks there Cal. Gloves on and off sounds familiar. I often take them off once I've run my hands warm, then can't be arsed to put them back on again if I'm running in the wind and / or rain later on. Sensible not to overdo the miles if you are hoping for a good time at parkrun and the 10k.

8 general aerobic with 10 x strides at dusk. The fog of the last couple of days finally lifted at around midday and I was lucky to catch a few rays of sun before it started to drizzle. Legs still a bit stressed from Wednesday's hiking but aren't any worse for a run.
  • Happy New Year all,

5.2 miles, with a couple 8:30 min miles. Knee rubbish, but better than it was. A glimmer of hope it's healing. I iced it with frozen peas and tried one of my Christmas presents, an Epsom salt bath!. Hoping it's heading in the right direction, if I'm patient! Going to try and get off the roads sunday and do a gentle trail run.

More or less exactly a year since I started running, and although it's been really positive, I'm a bit lost what to do. I think that 26.2 attempt gave me PTSD! Do I really want to do that again? Obviously training would help, but still. Definitely wouldn't throw myself into that again without completely comprehensive training.  From what I've read I hit the infamous "wall" and was terrible. Must keep those long runs up when my knee is better though. I can't quit really, just must not be an impatient dickhead.

I'd like to get sub 20 in Parkrun from 20:35, sub 45:00 10k from 47:41.
    Not sure about 10 mile/halves. 5 minutes of each maybe? 
    For the mean time though just want to get my knee back to fitness!!.  So many events in Kent are seafront all-concrete affairs, I do suffer from them.

Huge yearly mileage Hazlenut, and nice running. Xmas shoes were my 3rd pair of Saucony freedom iso2, (they seem to work for me) in bright orange this time! and a pair of Saucony Kinvara 10 racing shoes (florescent yellow) that feel they would blow away in a light breeze. (Won't be wearing them for a while). Solid running as always, nice to see some ponies. Hike sounds nice too.

Nice training JD, sorry you couldn't do your race. I remember thinking your marathon time was awesome! But, yeah, all down to personal goals. Are you planning another? Perhaps just an off day? Rapid 10k/half goals!, good luck.

Did I read that right Cal? Every Parkrun in London? That's awesome!
    Good luck in your race and glad the cold didn't materialise. So much about this year it seems! 

Great race Guardog, like the idea of Hangover 5 miler! Did one race this year hungover, won't do that again. Nice baking!

• Good 5 miler JD - although disappointed you'd choose the lemon sponge!!

Hope you're feeling better Cal. 8 miles is impressive when you're not feeling too well.

Good run Hazelnut. I tend to take off my gloves once my hands have warmed up. Can't stand having hands being too hot.

Nice run LTT, although take it easy with your knees. Nice targets for the year. I'm going to put mine up shortly.

First grand prix Parkrun today in a series of ten, this one on Hove Prom. Managed 23:28 with a rather packed start making the first 1km a bit tricky. Pleased with the time but worried about tightness in my left glute and my back stiffened up going into the last mile.

On the cake front the clear winner was my partner's cherry and macadamia chocolate brownie over my capuccino cupcakes. But it's not a competition.

• Squerryes Winery parkrun today in Kent. I thought Walthamstow was muddy, but it was nothing compared to this. Trail shoes were no help at all. I spent it slipping and sliding and cursing and recorded my slowest ever time  - 32:46. I've never done more than 30 minutes before. Despite that I was still 6th lady and first in my age cat, due to the small field.
    Shoes were so trashed they went in the bin when I got home.
  • Good goals LTT. If you have only been running for a year you should be taking some chunks off of your PBs. But as you say you need to get that knee to settle down.  Like the bright shoes. Mine are almost all brown at the mo.

Good parkrun Guarddog. Read quite a bit about overcrowded parkruns the last couple of days. Stops you going off too fast I guess.  You seem to like baking!

Shoes must have been very trashed Cal.  Getting around without damage seems to have been quite an achievement. Good luck for the 10k tomorrow (iirc).

Two outings today for me. Saturday group training started up again, a mixture of running, core and stretching. Didn't do too much running in that today so popped out for a short 3 mile recovery at sunset. Lovely it was, ran by effort and enjoyed it thoroughly. 
  • 7.8 mile trail run.  Limping well on return. Left knee most definitely buggered and is going to need a good rest and a physio. Not the start of year I wanted. Especially the £ required, straight after Christmas. 

Possibly the biggest race in Kent, the Canterbury 10, is on the 26th Jan and I really wanted to have a good go at that one. Annoying. No chance of even getting round at the moment.

That's running I guess!  Will see what happens.  Will have to do some gym visits to keep me sane, urgh...

Nice run Hazlenut, running by effort is much more relaxing, agreed.

That Parkrun seems a handful Cal. My trail run was ankle -deep mud for much of it.  Not sure if that was a better idea than road for my knee or not really...

Nice Parkrun Guardog. I'm going to take the opportunity to volunteer at my local one, as it's well overdue. I have piled on the Christmas weight quite incredibly so maybe will have to swerve the cakes!

• The mud saps you, Cal, so don't be too disappointed about the time. Did you pick up any bottles after the run?

Very active Saturday for you Hazelnut. Puts me to shame as I've not been in the gym since Tuesday. Do like to bake, or just cooking in general. Partner's the real Baker in the house as she does all the cakes for the running club at events. I think she's just getting me off my arse!

Sound like it's time to listen to your body LTT and rest the knee. I know it's frustrating but it will be better in the long run. 

10.3 mile LSR today with running group. Very hilly and muddy on the South Downs. Strangely I was fine on the ups but struggled to keep pace on the downs. And managed to fall, albeit I slipped trying to avoid a puddle and slid gracefully to the ground with shouts of "man down" ringing out. Legs are feeling it, but looking forward to beef stew with dumplings.
  • Linton, I find mud is worse as you can't run with proper form.
    Guarddog - no, didn't take money with me in fact, as I ran 2 miles to get my lift there so I just had water and my door keys. But I have lots of wine at home - people give me bottles but I don't drink alone so they just sit there until I decide to open one to cook with.
    Well done on your run. I am not good on downhills myself - I am forever getting passed on the downs by people I pass on the ups. Enjoy the stew!

So, I wasn't really expecting much from today (not after yesterday) especially as I had to walk a mile or so from Clapham Junction due to engineering works. No biggie. Once I got there I stowed my gear and did a mile warm-up, and my legs felt heavy and tired. I thought, oh, this isn't good.
    But then I got lined up at the start and just gunned it. I'm never very good at judging pace for the first mile so was a bit taken aback when I did it in 8:01, which is very close to my 5K pace (I'd need 8:15s or so for a PB). Second mile went in 8:04 which was still a bit too fast, really, but I just settled down to work. Mile three was 8:07, but now my legs were full of lactic and my breathing was starting to sound like a donkey humping a set of bagpipes. Mile 4 was my slowest at 8:21 but I wasn't panicking as I had a good chunk of time banked. I pulled back a bit for mile 5 with an 8:16 and so as long as I didn't get a cramp or something, the PB was there for the taking.
    I got some encouraging shouts from the superfast Chasers training around the edge of the park which gave me a boost and I knuckled down for the last mile and a bit. Held it together for 8:11 and then found something from somewhere to get me over the finish.
    Official time - 50:12 - a minute and a half PB (and tantilisingly close to a sub-50).
    After the disappointing 10K I ran in December, I am very happy with this. It also made me realise that 10K is probably my least favourite distance - all the pain of a 5K but twice as far. But the Runthrough events do have very good flapjacks so it's all been worth it.

• That's a great start to racing in 2020 Cal. 1.5 mins off your PB is a good chunk at that distance. Sub 50 certainly sounds do-able for you. Hmm flapjacks!

Nice 10 miler Guarddog, good you didn't hurt yourself falling over. Running well downhills takes practice, I'm not good at it myself, tend to brake automatically. Think I will have to invite myself around to yours for dinner and cake sometime...

I would invest the money in the physio LTT. Volunteering and gym sound like good options.  Watch your weight if you have a chronically dodgy knee. Off road rather than road running might also help but sliding around in the mud less so I guess. 

16 miles on a glorious day. Frosty in the shade but warmish in the sun with a light breeze. The weather inevitably encouraged a lot of walkers out, negotiating around them was somtimes a bit tricky, need to think of how to announce my approach better so as to gently warn them. Started with a moderate warm up (5 miles), then 8 miles at what I'm hoping will be my MP, then 3 miles cool-down. MP miles went well, was a bit tired on the cool-downwith its undulations.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Cracking race Cal,well done on your PB,I'm sure you'll sub 50 soon.

Good 10 miler Guarddog,I'm the opposite to you,I'm better going down than up.Hope you enjoyed your dumplings.

I'd have that knee seen to Linton.Seems to be a recurring injury.I'm sure you'll hit your 2020 goals when injury free.

Nice 16 miles Hazelnut,very mild over here as well,been wearing just t shirt and shorts again for my last couple of runs.

Errdig parkrun yesterday,very muddy and a big turnout,so a bit of a nightmare to begin with.Finished with a time of 22.05,nowhere near my course PB,but for the first time in ages my hams were fine,felt great not having any tightness.6 miles this morning,left my watch at home and ran to feel,opened the pace up between 2-5 miles,felt quite good.Noticed loads of new runners on the canal,well 10 to be precise which is more than I see all week.

Just booked my place in the Rhyl 10 miler,I think this is my first 10 race,so it's something to look forward to.

• Nice 16, Hazelnut - it's always hard to do MP during training, so good job.
    JD, I think we have to forget fast parkruns at the moment, what with the crowds and the mud. I'm going to try and get to some smaller runs if I can. And you'll enjoy the 10 miler, it's a nice distance - like a half but without the three bastard miles on the end.

Normally a rest day today but I felt like running so I did a quick 6. Was meant to be recovery pace but ended up being at the faster end of my easy range - I guess my legs aren't too shagged.
    Christmas trees all over the pavements at the moment, though - it's like the bloody Grand National!
  • Evening all, Happy New Year to everyone!

Admittedly not run much over the festive period, did 6 miles on the dreadmill on Christmas Eve and that's about it haha.

Did manage to get out for 6 miles tonight with the club though, wasn't too shabby for two weeks off - third fastest time on that particular route. Legs were aching and sapped of energy after mile 3 though, which was a bit disappointing. Ahh well, I blame all the festive chocolate, the sitting on my butt at home and at work for the last two weeks.

Set myself a challenge of running 500 miles this year...reckon I can do it, so set myself a further challenge of 750 miles.

Game on.