My Last Run

Comments

• GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    The black pudding was the best part, Hazelnut. OK so were the eggs that were perfectly poached, if I say so myself.

Interesting point about what is the right side to run. I've always taken the view that when running on a path I'll keep to the left hand side. I very rarely run alongside roads so don't get too involved in running so I'm facing oncoming traffic. It can be rather annoying when you're faced with people who are just all over the place.
  • Hazelnut - certainly the longest streak I've ever done, but happy for you to take the baton from me! Enjoy your new shoes! I need to order me some new ones too but very few come in 2E width and are in stock in my size.

LTT - Great virtual half marathon effort!

JD - love spotting ducks and wildlife along canals, though not a fan of being chased by swans/geese when I do! Never been to North Wales, my paternal family are from the Welsh south coast.

Cal - hope the sleep quality gets better for you soon! I have trouble sleeping each night, both drifting off and waking up in the middle of it, so know what it's like waking up feeling like I've been run over by an 18-wheeler. Still amazes me how you run so far so early in the morning.

Guarddog - I think it's best to run 'into' traffic (not literally - that'd be painful). But by running into traffic, you know what's coming at you and, should anything happen such as a car lose control, you can dodge out the way.

Ran 3.1 miles today to raise money for the NHS as part of the #RunForHeroes charity fundraiser. Ran the usual route that I do with my partner as I've not done it solo for a while, and it's quite hilly at the end so a fair route I think. Set off quickly and just aimed to push the pace all the way round. Came out with a new 5km PB of 24:27! Chuffed with that as I've been trying to get under 25 minutes for ages! Celebrated with a big slice o' cheesecake, and donated £5 to the charity.
  • Ran 7.5 miles today, trying to focus on running at an 'easy' pace of about 9:30mm and....I set off too quickly...again. On the plus side, I knackered myself out so the last couple of miles were about the right speed!

Then went out and did 3.2 miles with the fiancée and future mother-in-law. It was quite fun, although a lot slower than what my partner and I have been doing recently. Did a few hill sprints and looping whilst waiting for them to catch up.

Tomorrow is likely a rest day, may go out on the bike but definitely resting my legs up after today. Got to stretch, too!
  • As people drive on the right here I run on the right on off-road paths and on pavements but always on the left against the traffic on roads.

Well done on the fund raising MalMal. And of course on the 5k PB.  That is a good chunk under 25 minutes.  Hmm cheesecake... Nice your future MIL also ran on yesterday's run.  Have a nice bike ride if you go today - good cross training.

11.5 miles for me yesterday evening.  As I am alternating weeks with hill work and flat speedwork I set out to do 10 miles with 5 @ PMP + 10%.  3 mile warm up was faster than planned and that set the mood.  Followed that by 6 @ PMP with a 2 mile cool down back up the hill at a sedate pace.  Nice but definitely warm outing.  My spring mara would have been on Sunday - don't know as that I would have held that pace for another 20 miles but I have dropped quite a lot of training in the last few weeks.  Just starting to pick up again with some speedwork.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone - Hazlenut that's some quality work there, and great time Malteser.
    GD, I find most runners to be considerate and friendly, but you get the odd ones that aren't. Had two guys run towards me today and didn't give me much room at all - it was a wide track and they could easily have moved over, but didn't. Too busy yacking, I think.

Yesterday was a wash-out for me. I'd had a disturbed night and even though the weather looked perfect, I just didn't feel like running. I did some shopping but that was the extent of my exercise.
    I did run today but my night was disturbed again....and it's all down to those bloody horse oats.
    If you missed the start of this, I panic ordered 20kg of oats off Amazon that week when the shop shelves were bare, as I have them for breakfast every day. When they arrived, they turned out to be horse oats - unhulled and unsuitable for human consumption.
    I'd found someone with a horse who said she'd have them after the lockdown, so I lugged them out of my miniscule kitchen where they were taking up my only worksurface and put them by the door to the flat.
    Anyway, for the last couple of nights my sleep has been disturbed by sounds that were unmistakably murine in origin. I haven't had any mice for a while, but I've had enough problems in the past to know what the little buggers sound like (surprisingly loud for a small creature) so I kept getting up and looking but I couldn't see anything.
    I finally got up to go for my run, had my coffee and got my kit on then went to the door and a mouse shoots across in front of me and into the bathroom. I looked down and there are horse oats everywhere. The sod has chewed right through the side of the sack and has been eating like a king.
    No option for it but stick the whole thing in a bin bag and lug it down stairs to the wheely bin, feeling very much like Eddie Hall because, while 20kgs is not that much really, it's bloody awkward when it's in a sack rather than on a barbell.
    A nice man passing by did ask if I needed help getting it into the bin before remembering social distancing meant he actually couldn't help at all, but he seemed quite impressed when I managed to do it on my own. Bye bye horse oats. I would have liked to have found a better home for them, but I cannot have a flat full of fat rodents. (I have not yet managed to catch the mouse).

Anyway, I decided I'd do my virtual parkrun today as conditions look bettter than they will be later in the week. I did two miles to warm up as last week I felt like I needed more than one, then the 5K around the triangle (looking on the map it's more of a shark fin, but you get the picture), then three miles to cool down because the weather was (is) nice.
    I pushed hard enough my breathing sounded like a fat man sitting on an accordion but I couldn't reacapture that speed I'd found the first week and ended up running 25:27. Better than last week, though, I suppose.
    Might try a different route next week. This one is good as there are no roads to cross, but I could do with some variety.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    8pm  40 mins along the beach, running into some less than firm sand and being outrun by a small, brown puppy.  The sun had left slowly changing patterns of colour in the clear, twilit sky, outlining the dunes in sharp silhouette.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Hope you're feeling better Cal,it's very frustrating when you don't get a good nights sleep.Love your story about your mice,I've had plenty of them in the house over the years,open fields at the back my house so they like to make themselves welcome,in fact I had one in my bedroom a few weeks ago and I'm surprised if you didn't hear my wife's scream.

GD,you always get the odd dick but overall most people are fine.I've only had blackpudding once, when I was 16 and it still gives me nightmares.

Malteser,well done on your 5k pb and your charity efforts,cheesecake well deserved.

Great running as usual Hazelnut,you're putting me to shame.

6.27 miles early yesterday morning,before I started my decorating duties.I'll get out for a longer run tomorrow,hopefully.

• Mice are incredibly noisy things.  Haven't had a live one in for a while (touch wood) - I often get presents from the cats.  With fields and woods nearby it is paradise for hunting such.  The last ones were all dead fortunately.

Another good virtual parkrun Cal. 

Nice puppy racing swittle. 

Hope your decorating is done enough to let you out today JD.

5 miles recovery with 6 x strides yesterday evening.  Legs unsurprisingly a bit sluggish after Wednesday's run but feeling better this morning.  Another almost collision with a runner but I needed to get out of the road and he wanted to cross it and it took a couple of seconds to sort ourselves out.  Funny rather than annoying.  Time of year to keep one's mouth closed as much as possible when out in the fields - the rape is in bloom and the bees very busy.  Don't want to swallow one.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    They are noisy buggers, Hazelnut - I've lost a lot of sleep to them over the years. I remember my first mouse invasion and I was so nice about trying to trap them live and release them. Now I'm basically Genghis Khan as far as they're concerned.
    Well done on the bee avoidance.

Good luck with the decorating, JD.

Just had an email from Tokyo Marathon - they are giving us the option to defer to next year or 2022. This is good as if I defer to 2022 I don't have to worry about Manchester being too soon after (as I've deferred that to next year), plus I'll have more time to sort myself out. Tokyo would go well with London, if I ever manage to get into that, as they're a decent gap apart.

I slept OK last night - I put the fan on to drown out mouse sounds and that seemed to help. When I got up there was mouse hair on the trap so he'd somehow managed to escape - not sure he'll fall for it a second time.

Despite that, I didn't much feel like running - the grey skies didn't help - so I reminded myself I'd feel like crap if I didn't run, then put my favourite leggings on and my Kingston PB T-shirt and kicked myself outdoors. I didn't give myself a set distance but decided I'd run up to Clapham Common as I haven't done so for a while (too muddy this winter and crossing the South Circular is always a lottery) but I was glad I did. Social distancing is pretty easy there as there's plenty of space, and I think my joints appreciated the mostly dirt and grass paths. The sun also came out. Did three laps and then home a slightly longer way to make it 9 miles. And yes I feel better now.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what't more impressive MM, the running for the NHS or going out with your future MIL. I'm pretty sure if my ex-MIL had gone out for a run either she'd have pegged it through exertion or I would have through shock that she was doing something  ;)

Good running Hazelnut, I'm always impressed by the mileage you put in. I'm guessing there's a certain degree of frustration that you should have been racing this weekend?

You need a cat, Cal. Actually on second thoughts maybe not. I was on an early morning call to someone in Poland on Wednesday when one of the ones we have (there's two, they're brothers) brought a mouse in and started to throw it around. I had to end the call and then take the bloodied, but still breathing, mouse out into the garden. That came after the frog incident on Monday!!

Beautiful writing swittle.

How did the decorating go JD?

Just over 5.16 miles this morning. Up at 5:30 and out just after 6 for a run along the seafront. There was a keen wind blowing from the east which felt distinctly swirly as we headed west, but was very much in our faces when we turned round. Also had the delights of the waste treatment works, which always hits the back of the throat. I am now seriously considering taking the Nike's away from my partner, she is proving too good in them. On the return it was all I could do to hang on to her until the last half mile and I thought as long as I was on her shoulder I could then just put a bit more in and pull away. However she was the one that opened a gap, without appearing to increase her pace in any discernible way. So it's either take away the Nike's or nobble her in some way. Not that it's a competition. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hide all her sports bras, GD?
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    She might retaliate and snip out all the inserts in my shorts, Cal. Or put Deep Heat in them  :s

• 5 miles for me today. Tried to go slow but set off way too quickly again. Slowed down for the last two miles though down to my 'easy' pace which was good. Then went out with my partner and future MIL for a further 3 miles. Was pretty nice!

Bought myself a foam roller on Amazon which arrived today. Nice foam roller with a massage stick and massage ball, all for £30 inc P&P. Working it over my muscles and it seems to be doing its job. Trying to find some compression socks so my calves aren't always screaming after a fast/long run.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    JD1: x-training opportunities beckon!
    Hazel: one of my fears is drawing in an insect, usually a fruit fly - I cough & cough but am still not convinced it's exited.  :-o
    Cal: the therapeutic value of exercise is showing itself to be v important in dealing with present times.  Well done!
    Guarddog: thank you.  Sometimes, words string together as I run - but I often 'lose' them before chance comes to record them.  You're a maritime runner - having a slightly faster, unofficial pacer helped me trade up from mediocrity many years ago.
    MalMal - twin sessions - I'm impressed!

Tonight, cloud stole the sun, apart from two minutes, when the fiery, red orb back lit a ship heading out into Liverpool Bay.  A rectangular route, all off road :-) - past the ornamental gardens and docks - quite a contrast - up the beach via some nasty, slippery sand, and nobbly trails [in parts] parallel to the prom.  5.3 miles in a smidge over the hour.  And I didn't stop!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good self-care, Malteser.
    You have the soul of a poet, swittle. Good work there.

Just a 6 mile recovery run this morning - I used a lot of the common's rooty trail paths to keep my pace down, which seems to have worked rather well as I averaged just under 11s. Got complimented on my tights (which have oriental-style lucky cats on them) by another runner. Not too many people about today - it's rather grey out.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Kind of you to say, Cal.  :-)

The strategy of selecting a surface where more care is needed and having the benefit of checking pace too is clever.  Let's hope those cats are especially lucky for you!  Rather grey on Costa del Crosby too - and the central heating stop tap has decided to have a 'moment'.  :-(
  • Hi folks, great running all. Got to pop into work so a bit busy but well done all

Just wondered Hazlenut/Cal/anyone else, what GPS watch is everyone using?

I've always used a smartphone, but know having a GPS watch is really the way to go for training.

I'm at a loss, any recommendations?

Some are so complex!  I just want time, distance, average min miles and current split pace all displayed simultaneously.

Any help appreciated.  Will post on main forum, but it's pretty quiet to be honest.

Thanks for any help.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

It's starting to get very competitive between yourself and your partner GD!Maybe start baking cakes and fatten her up.Yes started decorating the house,all of the bedrooms finished now.

Good double session Malteser.I bought compression socks a few years ago and could not get used to them but others swear by them.

You have a nice way of describing things Swittle.

Linton,I have a very basic Garmin forerunner 25,but it does the job.

8.27 miles yesterday afternoon,still feeling fatigued,so kept it fairly easy.Try and get out this evening after work so I can get over 20 for a week.I'm way down on mileage compared to last year but I'm not going to start worrying about that.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Linton, I use a Garmin Forerunner 45. I was using a 25 like JD until the Autumn but after a few years of loyal service it began to have problems (losing runs, refusing to talk to my PC, etc) so I had to replace it. Which is a bit of a shame as although the 45 does more, the 25 was actually a lot better at gauging my pace.
  • Nice and busy on here at the moment. :)

I've put the disappointment of not running a marathon behind me GD, there will (hopefully!) be others. Try hiding your partner's shoelaces?

Enjoy (?) the foam roller and co. MalMal. I dusted mine earlier but should apply it occasionally too. Never run in compression socks though have thought about trying it out.

Oh yes the lurking tickling in the throat of half-dead insects swittle..You do write well. Hope the heating is feeling more cooperative.  Nice running.

Seen a pic of the tartan tights before Cal, but not of the cats.  Sound interesting.

I have a Coros Apex watch LTT. Was looking for a new one a couple of months ago after my TomTom battery started to fail. Not well known in comparison to Garmin but seemingly cheaper. Quite a few bells and whistles but I was able to work out what I needed pretty quickly and ignore the rest.  Battery time is massive.  Maybe write a list of what you want / don't need first and then look through some models. There are so many with such a range of prices.

Wouldn't worry about mileage too much at the moment either JD.

8ish yesterday with a bit of speedwork. Warm up trot with some drills then 5 times alternating between run round a field fast and then slow. Probably around 600m each lap. Enough effort involved to feel that I had done something but without being tired afterwards / today. Air full of pollen and strangely quite humid considering the ongoing lack of rain. Could almost have chewed on it. 

4ish recovery this evening. Another seemingly anti-running article in the press got me down quite a bit today. Picked the right route and met only one friendly dog walker.  Also one car trailing a cloud of dust I could have done with a face mask for.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    The cats are new, Hazelnut - I bought some tights from Lucy Locket Loves as I am trying to go to the launderette less often. Need some more socks though!
    Ignore the press. As long as we are keeping our distance from people, we're fine.

Out just before 6 for a 16 miler. I decided to do Wimbledon again but I went up the Wandle and around Morden Hall Park on the way this time, since it was light enough. It was an enjoyable run aside from my hydration bladder leaking and giving me a soaking wet arse. Not sure how that happened as it looked to be properly closed when I removed it - I'm guessing it's where the hose goes into the bag itself. Hmm.
    Some tough hills on this route, particularly The 10%er on the way up to the common, and as I did a slightly different second half to last weekend, I managed to find The Alps, a "delightful" feature of the Wimbledon Trail Series which are basically a series of mounds that are steep both up and down and have all manner of rocks sticking out of the path. I was crap at negotiating them during the races, and I'm still crap - this was my second slowest mile (just after the warm-up mile at the start).
    I did realise while I was on the common that it is the only park or common that I run clockwise (I actually run Tooting in both directions, but always start anti-clockwise).
    I decided to push on a bit for the four miles home from the common, especially as I didn't want to suffer any chaffing from the wet lower half, and did the last four at sub-10 pace. Quite pleased I managed to maintain that for the last mile which is mostly uphill.
    I do have a little niggle just on the inside of my left shin - can't really tell if it's one of the tibs or the calf - so I will have to keep an eye on it. Old right achilles is starting to feel a bit tight too. I am going to have to step up the strength work, I think.
    My new Peg Turbos arrived yesterday but I figured it wouldn't be smart to start them off with a long run, as I've not used that model before (I do most of my long runs in Epic Reacts) so I'll give them a whirl on Tuesday. Tomorrow is a rest day.
  • Maybe I should be more adventurous on the tights Cal, mine are all plain black with the exception of the odd reflective stripe and a discreet logo here and there. Do have a few pairs of patterned shorts to compensate though.

Great early 16 with some nice hills and trails by the sounds of it. Annoying about the bladder. How is it closed? Maybe not sealed properly? Good idea to test run the new shoes on a shorter run first if you are not familiar with the model.  What is your feeling with running long at the moment? I'm sticking to up to 16 max to keep the longer runs ticking over without them getting too knackering.

Speaking of which: 15 post mini breakfast. Good thing I went out earlyish as the wind was picking up quite a bit by the time I reached the last two. Also didn't meet too many people out.  More cloud than in the last couple of weeks meant temperatures were quite pleasant. Lower legs looked like I had applied fake tan afterwards (not of the orange variety) and minor clouds of dust flew from my socks. 

Hope my new shoes arrive in the next couple of days.
  • MalteseMalteserMalteseMalteser ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Excellent 16, Cal. Unfortunate about the hose - I'm yet to use a hydration bladder but don't feel like I want to be carrying extra weight at the beginning of a run. Cat tights sound awesome! I'd love some funky kit like that. Maybe try the Peg Turbos on a 3-4 miler just to see what they're like first? 

Hazelnut - most of my tights are also just black with reflective strips and such, very low key. Nice 15 miler! What new shoes are you getting?

Out for a flat 10 miles at lunchtime - sun was out, so there were many people out on the towpath by the canal. It was supposed to be a LSR at about 9:40mm but I managed 9 miles at under 9:09mm pace...oops! Last mile was only 9:27mm because of the steep hill that I live on.

Can't wait for shops to open so I can look at trying more running shoes on for my stupidly wide feet. Also looking at running watches - my Amazfit isn't great, and I'm looking for something that will sync with Strava so I don't have to keep looking at my phone. Don't want something too expensive, though!
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Swittle you are the Byron of Runners World. Good luck with the central heating. What is the position with regard to needing a plumber? I've been thinking for a while now of getting someone in to attack the garden. Or potentially put new turf down.

LTT - I've got the Garmin Fenix. I've had it for nearly 4 years now and it was something of an extravagance at the time, but I do like it and its become my every day watch.

Well done on the decorating JD. And the 8 miler. Did I mention I wasn't competitive  ;) . Cake is currently being made, although she's making it. I did the ironing.

Good few of runs Hazelnut a decent speed session by the sounds of it was well. Likewise which new shoes do you have on order?

Excellent 16 miler, Cal, although shame about the leak and wet bum. Hopefully the twinges don't develop into anything more than just a twinge.

Well done on the 10 miler MM, sounds as though you settled into a steady pace.

Two runs this weekend. 6.81 miles along the Adur yesterday. Started the out lap setting the pace and although the first mile was 9:10 we then went 8:57 and 8:56, so good steady running. Coming back my partner took on the pacing and started to push on. Last week when we had done the route I pushed it two miles out and paid the price in the last km. This time I just hung on her shoulder and let her carry the responsibility. As we ran alongside Shoreham airport I waited until we were 400m from where the car was parked and then put in a sprint. Part of this was I wanted to see he my back would cope (which was quite well) as it was the first time I'd really been able to sprint and sustain it since my back went. The other part was I was fed-up running in 100m behind my partner as a complete sweat soaked wreck. We obviously picked it up quite considerably as our overall average mileage was 8:40 pace, with the last mile a touch over 8.

Today it was 6.3 miles along the seafront starting at Saltdean. Out a bit later so a lot more people about. Clear blue skies and a breeze that appeared to be coming from the west when we started. On turning we realised that it was coming from the east. The temperature had been about 14.5C at the beginning, but the combination of the day warming up and the sun hitting the white cliffs meant it got a bit toasty. So much so that after 4 miles I decided to run sans top. Partner again destroyed me on the way back, although I tactically put this down to letting a gap open up so I could do a few 1min sprints and close it up that way. That's what I'm trying to convince myself anyway. The last km was especially tough as the wind had picked up. 
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Some fantastic long runs going on.

Great 16 miles Cal,especially doing the last 4 sub 10 pace.Enjoy your rest day tomorrow.

Hazelnut,wouldn't worry about the anti-running press,just keep on running!Nice 15.

Malteser,you've definitely got the running bug now,another good double digit run.

Two tough runs GD.Good news on your back holding up on the sprints.It's good running with someone who can push the pace on.

Just a 3.91 miles on minor country roads yesterday evening.It's the best I felt in many weeks,so I pushed the pace and it felt great.The last mile included a 0.6 mile,extremely steep hill,I managed to keep the pace at 9.20mm pace,my heart and lungs were bursting when I reached the top and then a sort of sprint,with gritted teeth, to my house.

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Thanks, JD1 and Hazel.  Trying to build up a poem to reflect these times we're experiencing.  Guarddog: plumber came yesterday to replace stop tap with a straight length of pipe - he was away ages, trying to find the innards of the very ancient fitting.

Although the air's fresher, haze still forms over the port entrance.  Shipping traffic is much reduced too.  50 minutes around sunset last night: 4.4 miles.  Beef of the day: sweat stinging my eyes!

Cal - I found Morden Hall Park in this year's 'National Trust' guide book - it looks v attractive.  16 is a grand shift, as is 15.  Long time since I saw such numbers!

MalMal - sounds like the niggles are taking a back seat.  Well run!

Nothing pushes a runner on than a target ahead - an increase in pace, or the eyes-out sprint!  Guarddog, it's a breathless description.  :-)

Re sprint ^ JD1, good to read that you're improving and enjoying the challenge.  'Tis the weather for running, especially by the seaside!

• Will keep an eye out for the poem swittle.  Good luck with that. 

Nice 10 miles MalMal.  Also live (almost) at the top of a hill - steepish off-road depending on the route I take.  Often enough I have completed my run at the bottom and walked up it as a cooldown.  Only about a third of a mile though.  With concentrating more on hillage recently I now mostly trot it really slowly.  Good luck with the shoe shopping - can't be easy if you have unusually wide feet.  If you are desperate for new shoes can you order your current ones online?

I stalked around a Fenix GD when looking for a new watch I think it was a 5S.  About the same price as my Coros as it was reduced due to there being newer models.  Was tempted.   Nice progressive running at the weekend.  Don't get too sun-burned sans top!

Good news you are finally feeling fit again JD.  Nice hill effort.

Short recovery yesterday evening - bit more than 5k - April streak is therefore still alive.  Fairly quiet out, just a couple of dog walkers and runners.  Maybe more were hiding in the woods as it was quite breezy. 

New shoes: Brooks Launch 7 and Mizuno Wave Rider 23.  I have run in Launch Models 4-6 and got on with them well - have used them in a couple of marathons.  Riders will be more of an experiment as so far I had only one pair.  Planning to use both as a general training shoe. 
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you're getting stronger JD and well done on maintaining the pace up the hill. The lungs will thank you later.

Nice evening run, swittle. Sweat in eyes is one of my beefs as well. I've not got anything to naturally stop the sweat so will either wear a buff on my head or a sweatband on my wrist. It stings even more when I've put lotion on my head.

Out at 6am this morning for a run along the seafront. As the wind was coming from the east we decided to head that way so we would have the benefit of the wind at our backs on the return. The sun was just creeping up over the rooftops, but in the shadows it was still quite fresh with not many people up and out at that time. As I had an 8am meeting this morning we could only manage 5 miles, but that allowed us to pass and touch Steve Ovett's statue (it's a tradition with the running group we train with in more normal times). The pace was fairly steady for the first 3 miles - 8:57, 8:47 and 8:46. We then picked it up for the last 2 going at 8:33 and finally 8:08. The speed is starting to come back a bit, along with the endurance.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Hazel: Pleased that you're keeping the Streak thing alive.  Quite a lively thread on Fetch: The Streaky Bacon thread.  I posted the poem on Fetch yesterday morning.  If anyone not on Fetcheveryone would like to read it, I'll copy it in here.

Thanks, Guarddog.  Usually, a smear of Vaseline across the eyebrows & forehead would deflect most of the sweat but that fix isn't working atm.  Enjoyed your description of today's run, especially the Ovett tribute.  I liked the rebel in him.
  • Swittle - please publish the full poem here, I'd be interested in reading it and seeing how much I can relate to it.

Guarddog - excellent running, glad to hear your back is holding up.

Hazelnut - I would purchase the same shoes, but the exact size isn't in stock online, nor is the newer model either. Enjoy the new shoes!

JD1 - slow and steady wins the race, but good job on pushing the pace! 

Yesterday was supposed to be a recovery 4 miles but one of my fiancée's cats went missing, so gave up our run for the day to go and search. He turned up at 1am this morning.

Went out for a quick 6.2 miles today. Set out way too quick but maintained a fast pace. Got a new 5k PB of 24:13 and a 10k PB of 50:48 so pleased with that as I felt slow going up what I have now dubbed 'Cardiac Hill'