My Last Run

Comments

• GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Back is feeling a lot better now, thanks Hazelnut. I've started to get into the habit of just applying a dab of Voltarol in the morning just to head off any inflammation, but forgot yesterday and it seemed fine. Nice choice of colours and also the runs over the weekend, quite a mix there. Glad you're enjoying the new runners as well. I'm with Cal in questioning the cleanliness of trough water to drink  ;)

Good hour run, swittle. Good job you're not precious about your runners. Hopefully the group of lads weren't too rude.

Well done on the 2.6 challenge. Cal. And an ex-goth. Summons up all sorts of images there.

Excellent run and time MM, if more by luck than design. Once we get back to normal do you have a target time you'd like to get to when you enter a half? I listened to That Peter Crouch podcast the other day where he talked about beetroot shots. I am by no means a lover of beetroot, but might be willing to give it a...ermm...shot.

Lovely run up to Devil's Dyke yesterday. Beautiful weather, a slight breeze, just about warm enough for me to be able to wear the new orange vest. My attire seemed to compliment my Asic runners better than the Nikes, although I felt the difference in not getting the Nike bounce. More to the point the hill affect worked again as I managed to outpace my partner (she really doesn't like hills). Tried to keep the pacing going up as steady as possible and we used the track, which being gravelly is something of a struggle to get decent traction on.  On the way back we decided as there was so little traffic we'd keep to the road and as gravity took over I managed to get into a really good rhythm. 6.3 miles in total, but the last 3 were done at an 8:20 average.
  • Maybe trough is the wrong term for my drinking spots but fountain on the other hand too glamorous. In the past some would have been animal troughs. Constant flow of drinking water nowadays, there are rules on if accessible by Joe Public the water has to be checked regularly or a no drinking water sign attached. Not obvious field troughs though - wouldn't use those anyway.

That was a good half MalMal and an interesting selection to listen to.

Never tried beetroot shots but I love soup and the pickled variety as a salad.

Hoping for the same regarding the rain Cal.

Good news regarding your back GD. Seems you need to put in the hilly routes to stop her running away but if she practices.. Gravel uphill is tough - met a bit of that yesterday as well.

3 recovery this afternoon waiting for the tyres/wheels on my car to be changed (winter to summer) so I did a gentle out and back along the nearby brook. Nice to have an almost flat route.
  • GD - my target time for a half is sub-2, so I'm fairly happy with it being sub-1:55. Ideally I want to get under 1:50 next but I think I'm going to start marathon training. Granted, it won't be until next year that I'll run a full marathon (hopefully) but the training for it should help my half marathon time, I would like to think.

Hazelnut - yeah it was an interesting mix, and was really nice to be listening to something other than music for a change. Will definitely be doing that more often I think. Bet the scenery was nice for your run today.

Recovery 3.2 miles for me today with me partner along the usual route. Got her to run up a bit more of Cardiac Hill, snagging her a PB for doing so.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Well done Cal,with your 5k and 2.6 challenge.Excellent consistency with your pace.

Malteser,intervals don't always go to plan,so I wouldn't worry about it.Good half as well.Well done to your partner for her PB.

Two good runs GD.Well done on the hills.My attire never match,I just grab whatever is to hand,looks a right dogs breakfast sometimes.

Fantastic 16 miles Hazelnut,great time as well.Just been on the news that Switzerland is easing restrictions.

13.52 miles Saturday afternoon.Ran to Worlds End,via Ruabon mountain.Took a slightly different route than usual.Very tough run in warm conditions,first 3 miles were hard,took me over 40 minutes to do 3 miles.Going over the tops I heard a cuckoo,first one I've heard in years.
    Managed to stay on my feet all the way round,wearing my new Sacouny Hurricanes,they had a good baptism.
    6.22 miles this morning,legs still feeling heavy after Saturday,so took it easy.

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Full marks on your hill HM+, JD1.  Cooler weather, damp too, on the way.

Noo shoos for you & your car too, Hazel!

Better news on your back pain, Guarddog - after washing & drying the shoes, I found some more mud, slippery too this time, so they're on the radiator, ready for a scrape tomorrow.  Hazel, they're a v old pair that I'd put on gardening duty but they served well last summer for walking.  Sand & sea water = poor combo for shoe life!

Cal - rest day sounds a good call.

And rest for me today, after 40 mins = 3.7 miles at sunset.  Warm enough to peel off my light jkt; muddy down by the radar station but much of it was loosened on the trail home section.

• Great running JD.  Those first 3 miles must have been tough!  I just looked up Ruabon mountain - looks like a lovely area.  Nice to hear a cuckoo - haven't done so yet this year.  Used to have a pair of Hurricanes - gave me blisters unfortunately. 

Cool and damp here now too swittle. 

You should be able to keep chipping away at that half time for sure MalMal.  With things as they are it is difficult to plan for marathons and the training they involve at the moment.   

6.x miles yesterday evening.  After weeks of dry and mostly warm weather it was a bit of a shock to the system to run in the sometimes heavy rain.  I had forgotten how cold the stuff is.  Don't mind it on my legs (shorts) but I was glad of the long sleeve top even if it was a bit weighted down by water by the end.  Quite breezy too but a cap kept the worst of it off my face.   Surprised but cheered to see 4 other runners out - since the corona crisis numbers have increased quite a bit on my standard route but I was expecting most to stay in due to the weather. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Glad the shoes are working out for you, JD.
    swittle - definitely, it was chucking it down. Did some yoga and some S&C instead (half an hour of each).
    Hazelnut - there are a lot more runners about, for sure. I guess some of that is people furloughed or working from home who would normally run early or in the evening but can now go out when they please, but I'd imagine a few people have taken up running as well.
    10 miles this morning. I decided to try a new route - I ran to Earlsfield (I'd walked there before when I went to get my lift to Farnborough from a clubmate so I knew the way) and picked up the Wandle Trail there. I thought I'd try and run it to Collier's Wood, where I normally pick up the Trail, but it seems you can't run along the river the whole way as there are no paths alongside it for stretches. So I basically lost the river after going through a park and ended up somewhere in Tooting. Tried a different road there and came out at Wandsworth Common, then ran back to Tooting Common and home. I'll try the trail another time, now I see where I went wrong. At least I got to see a couple of new parks.
  • Hazelnut - yeah, I guess I'm finding it difficult as I've never trained for anything specific before, not a half nor a full marathon so part of me has no clue what I am doing hahaha! Nice running though, a bit of rain can be quite nice and refreshing from the warmth of the sunshine.

Cal - nice 10 miles! Sounds a bit similar to me when I run alongside the River Severn from my town to one of the nearby villages - can't run alongside the river the entire way, but can lead to nice views (and hill training).

Rest day for me yesterday as legs weren't feeling 100%. Did a quick 5 miles this evening at 8:08mm average, setting a second quickest 5k PB. Then set out again for a warm down 5km with fiancée and MIL.

150 miles for the month - cannot believe that! 
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Cal, the underground station names bring back memories of S London escapades and dashing for the last Northern Line train!  Your spirit of adventure is admiable.

MalMal - your pace seems to be quickening.

Tonight, cloud spoilt the sunset but only until a long, broad band of crimson appeared, bathing all in the west.  The lone photographer's vigil was not in vain.  From the coastal park, I turned left to the beach, leaving to run on Burbo Bank to the old coastguard's.  Back down acres of beach, friendly folk sharing it - and another encounter with soft, muddy stuff.  Shoes blathered again!  Up the prom, people making way and back to my start.  50:42, 4.7 miles.
  • Nice exploring Cal.  Just looked at a map of London and was surprised actually by the number of green spaces.  Wandle trail looks nice.  Well done on getting the X-training done. Always easy to neglect.

Good 5 miler MalMal, seems the rest day did your legs good.  That is a great monthly mileage too. 

I lost a sprint for the last train once swittle - cue expensive taxi ride across London.  Nice sunset running. 

11.2 miles at an average 8:48 pace.  Only slightly faster than I had intended.  Back to dry though cooler weather with a lively breeze on the return leg.  Couple of stops for road crossings, a level crossing and a short chat with a farmer lady from whose chickens I recently purchased some eggs.  One had a double yolk which I think is fairly unusual.  Had an ouch! moment later at home - sat down on the sofa and something pulled at the top of my right thigh and was pretty grumpy all evening.  Seems ok this morning though and I plan to finish off my April streak later with a short recovery - likely in the pouring rain again.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    That was a great effort on Saturday JD - sounds as if it was a tough run, but you got the pleasure of hearing a cuckoo. Always makes me feel as if summer is on the way. Or is that a wood pigeon?!

Well done on the 6 miles Hazelnut. As you say the change in weather has brought a bit of a shock to the system.

Wonderful 10 miles Cal and nice to try new routes. I get torn between the comfort of the known route and knowing where you are and how far you have to go with the joy of just experiencing something different.

As swittle says, MM, you seem to be getting quicker. Well done on the monthly mileage and I sub 2hrs for the half is definitely on. In fact I think you'd be close to going sub 1:50.

Wonderful prose as usual, swittle. Only shame is your runners are taking a bit of a battering at the moment.

First run since Sunday this morning. Monday I had as a rest day and had planned to go early on Tuesday as we were both working from home. However had a bad night's sleep and when the alarm went off at 5:30 I just couldn't summon the enthusiasm to get up. Work has been particularly busy, starting at 7am and not finishing until 8pm and I didn't leave the house for 3 days. I've find this isolation lark quite tough this week.

That being said I was determined to get out this morning, so alarm off at 5:30, out just after 6am. Parked in Hove and due to the wind coming from the south west decided to head into it and go towards Southwick. Not my favourite route as even though it sticks close to the seafront for the most part you're running through an industrial area. It also takes you past the waste treatment plant which, fortunately today, didn't hit you in the throat. That being said the wind was exceptionally strong, so the out part of the run was done at around 9:15 pace. Turning round was bliss and helped by the wind now at our backs running seemed so much easier. Mile 3 was 8:53, mile 4 8:01 and mile 5 was 7:43. Obviously wind assisted, but it didn't feel much of an effort. Partner not entirely happy with me when we got back to the car as she said she struggled to stay with me. It just shows how well she's doing in that she didn't give up and let me run off. Payback will undoubtedly come on Saturday. Not that it's a competition.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hazelnut, I like South West London particularly because there is a lot of green space. I have three commons within a mile of me and several more a bit further on, plus several parks. The Wandle trail is a relatively recent discovery but I'm liking it a lot. There's something calming about running alongside water.
    Hope your leg is OK. It's funny how we can hurt ourselves doing something innocuous at home - remember when I tweaked my back getting out of my chair just before my last 10K? I got the race done but it hurt for nearly a week before settling down again.
    Well done, GD - wind is my most hated weather to run in.
    Great job on the mileage and 5K, Malteser.
    Sounds like a nice run, swittle. It's sunrises I usually see, though it's getting light so early I've not made it out for one in a while.

I really had no plan for today - I thought I might just do a shortish (for me, short is 6-8 miles) local run but once I got down the road a bit, my legs just carried me back towards Tooting. I knew there was a path onto the Wandle Trail on the road between Tooting and Wimbledon that I use to come back from Wimbledon Common on my long runs (where the old dog racing stadium was until recently) so I headed there and jumped on the trail at that point. It's not as far towards Wandsworth as I was yesterday but gave me the chance to see a bit of the trail I'd not run yet. It goes by some fields and then through another park so it was quite pleasant. I had to cross the main road in Collier's Wood to get to the part of the trail I'd run before but I found a gap in the traffic (there still seems to be a fair bit on the main roads) and then ran along the sections of the trail I'd done a couple of weekends ago. Came back via Mitcham, managing not to get lost this time, and logged 12 miles in the end.
    While I was slower on the wigglier bits of the trail (there was one point where I had to stop and duck under a fallen tree), I was actually pretty quick overall - the last five miles were all under 10.
    I didn't quite make it in under two hours but I was quite close - 2:00:38 - which is quite fast for an easyish training run. I wasn't even wearing my new shoes.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Tough week workwise GD.  Good you were able to get out yesterday and a wise route choice to have the wind at your back on the way home. 

Leg had no other complaints, thanks Cal.  Agree on running next to running water - there is often plenty to look at.  Nice description above and good mileage / time also.

I completed my April streak yesterday evening with around 4 recovery miles.  Not sure of the exact distance as my watch threw a wobbly and decided I ran the first km at around my 10 mile PB pace starting at a completely different place than I was at.   Doesn't matter - just funny to see.  Everything settled down after that.  

It being Friday and a day off work for me today due to the 1st of May I will be out again a bit later.  Monday is my standard rest day - will see if I keep going or take a day off.  No plans yet.  For now certainly the longest streak I have done (previously the 12 days of Christmas once) - the first couple of weeks were the toughest.  As I had been running 6 days a week anyway the step up to 7 wasn't huge and then only a short recovery. 
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a lovely run Cal and well done on the distance in the time. As you say, for an easy run that was a great pace.

Good news on the April steak, Hazelnut. The distance doesn't matter, it's the getting out. And you're right it is a tough week in terms of work. I've been starting at 7am and not finishing until 8 or 9pm, the joys of working across multiple projects. 

Managed to grab some time this morning at 11am to go for a run. Decided I'd do 400m intervals again. I have this set-up on my watch as a workout, but the first time I did it I struggled. This time I actually did the workout twice, and then did another couple of 400m 'sprints' to clock up 5 miles. Strangely the longer the session went on for the easier I found it and it's nice to think I'm starting to get some speed up, especially as it's the avowed intention of my partner to make me pay for Thursday's run over the weekend. Be interesting as I also have to work this weekend as well.
    Uff, those are long hours GD. Hope that is just a temporary situation.  Well done on the 400s. I find the first couple of intervals a right shock usually. Don't do them often though, maybe it is practice. Sounds like you might have a tough weekend ahead of you.. :p

Bank holiday today for me. Not the best weather forecast for the afternoon (rain/wind) so set off mid-morning. Drove to my starting point for the first time in weeks to take advantage of a flat river route along the Emme - decent paths on both sides with convenient bridges and not too heavily populated by walkers and cyclists today.  20k in total in just under 1:42, took it reasonably easy on the outward up-river leg but couldn't resist MP on the way back. Part of the route is also that of a 10k race I have run a couple of times, now that felt a lot harder!  Decent amount of water in the river thanks to the recent rain, it nearly fell dry a couple of times in the hot summers. Not much risk of that at the moment, I was treated to a minor soaking on the return leg. Was expecting it though and had taken spare clothes.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    I'd like to say it is temporary, Hazelnut, but I have an awful feeling things are going to get busier. I'm currently involved in 9 projects, all running to different timelines, but on occasions converging to make life very hectic. The usual story of having to take on more with less resources. I'd like to say "roll on retirement", but I've got no chance of that at the moment.

Well done on the 20K and that is a tremendous time. I could only dream of that. Enjoy what's left of your Bank Holiday. We have one next Friday.
  • Sounds like a cracking 20k Hazelnut! I love river routes, though they do seem a lot busier in my area since lockdown.

Good work on the interval sprints, GD, hopefully you will see the work paying off over the weekend and/or the coming weeks.

Nice running, Cal! I've also noted a lot more traffic on the roads compared to the beginning of lockdown. Sounds like a very quick run, even if you weren't necessarily meaning for it to be!

Went out for 7 miles this evening, with the aim of having more undulation (I may have been cheating by relying too much on the flat canal path). So I added a long hill to a route, and had it come back along the river, finishing with the trademark struggle up Cardiac Hill. Managed it in under an hour, so pleased with that. Then took the partner out for our signature 3 miles. Discovered a large blister under one of my toes just waiting to be popped...yummy!
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    The current work picture in UK shows high peaks and low troughs, and most people are wanting firmer details on how these will be smoothed.  Self employed & fledgling businesses are feeling much pain and even giants like Next and BA are considering extensive layoffs.  Good news for adult runners in Spain: they can train again from Monday [I think].

Right, politics over.  A cooler evening due to a lively W breeze.  Fewer people sharing trails, park & beach.  A mile to the Freeport and I saw no-one; a few more on prom and beach, and two Yorkshire Terriers bouncing over the sand, demanding that I threw their ball!  [In doing so, I found a ball they'd lost.]  Wanted another beach hit before home time and met a positive crowd of walkers by the small lake - well, 7-8!

1:00:07  5.6 miles.  No knee or side discomfort. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice streaking, Hazelnut!
    GD, well done for persevering with those intervals. As Hazelnut says, the first couple of reps always feel really tough.
    Nice Yorkie wrangling, swittle - and good news on your knee.
    Well done on your hill, Malteser - sounds like progress. Hope the blister doesn't cause any problems. Maybe you need better socks?

My plans for today included a fast 5K but I had to haul myself out of bed at 3.40am to kill a mouse that had blundered onto one of my traps (they arrived yesterday, thank god). So I didn't feel particularly refreshed when I woke up and it took me until 7 to get myself out. I did three miles to warm up as I needed a bit extra, but even then I knew I wasn't going to be on for a very fast time so I did a different route with a bit more elevation for a change. Came in at 25:51 which is OK but puts me in last place currently - the guy currently in first is 10 minutes faster. I remember the first time I ran a sub-26 at Tooting parkrun in 2016 and I was chuffed to bits. How times change. :D
    I did wear my new Peg Turbos - I quite like them.
    Did a further three miles to cool down. Really nice day to be out but I must admit I was rather glad to be done with it so I could go and have breakfast.
    In other news, I've put myself in for Laz's virtual race across Tennessee. We've got 4 months to do 1000km although there's an option to do a there and back. The 1000 is very doable for me as it's an average of just over 5 miles a day - I think the 2000 would be a bit much as I'd have to do over 70 miles a week and I generally peak in the 50s. However, walks to count so I've counted the 5 miles I walked yesterday. If anything, it'll be good incentive to get my arse out for a walk on my rest days - something I frequently struggle with.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Good work on the hills, MM. I'm sure you're going to feel the benefit of introducing more of them into your runs. And hopefully the blister isn't too much of an issue. As Cal says it might be time for new socks. I got 6 pairs of ASICS ones of sportshoes.com last week. Very cheap and very colourful.

Nice politics update swittle, have you thought of doing the daily briefing? I would certainly believe you more than most of the people who are appearing. And you're right there are going to be a lot of businesses and those who are self-employed who will struggle. Those of us who have jobs and are still getting paid are very fortunate.

Well done on the mouse hunting, Cal. Hopefully there wasn't too much of a mess. We had a dead one in the hallway this week. And a very proud cat. Good running as well and the Tennessee race sounds like fun.

Had a meeting at 10 this morning, so we had to be out by 8 to get an 11K in and be back to allow me to shower and then be on the call. There were strict instructions not to go mad, that it wasn't a competition and no racing. So with that in mind I let my partner set the pace. The route was along the Adur again, which is nice and flat but had a northerly wind which not only made it slightly chilly to begin with was of a strength that rather belied the forecast of a 'gentle breeze'. Still we were running into it on the out run and would have it at our backs on the return.

At the turn we'd managed to maintain a steady 8:50 average pace with the view that we'd keep it at much the same on the way back, although maybe step it up in the last couple of miles. "You're not going to sprint off are?" I was asked.
    "No, I'm keeping to your pace," I replied.
    "You're going to wait until the last 300m and then you're going, aren't you?" 
    "No, of course not. Although if I were planning on doing that I would say I wasn't going to do it."
    "The only chance I have is to wind it up with 1km to go."
    "Well yes you could do that, but now you've told me I'll be prepared."
    Which she did. And I was. And I didn't sprint off. Again our average pace was 8:38.

We're thinking of signing up to a virtual 10K race for the end of May and thinking about which route to choose to do it. If I can find a 6 mile route that is all downhill I could be on for a PB  o:)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice running, GD - that's a good pace and good restraint on not leaving your partner in the dust. I'm sure she'll appreciate that.

I'd decided to do the run that counted for the Phoenix virtual Covid-19 Remembrance Run today so I wanted to do something a bit special. Rather than do a silly distance or a fast pace I opted to make the most of the quieter streets and lower pollution to run along the Thames (via Battersea Park) to Tower Bridge and then back along the other side - a route that would normally be quite polluted on the north bank and full of tourists on the south. It was actually pretty nice - I ran through Battersea Park then over the bridge, along the embankment, past the Tate Britain, Houses of Parliament and then through the City to the Tower of London, over Tower Bridge and then back past the HMS Belfast, Golden Hind, Globe Theatre, Tate Modern, National Theatre, London Eye and MI5 before turning for home via Stockwell and Clapham Common.
    I figured this would be 13-14 miles but when I hit 10 miles around Tower Bridge I realised that wasn't going to happen. I hadn't taken any water with me (let alone gels) so I started to feel it as I headed back along the South Bank. My pace had crept up from easy to steady (between 9:40 and 10) and didn't suffer but I was pretty keen for the run to be over by the time I hit Stockwell.
    I had opted to wear the Turbos which turned out to be a bit of a mistake, or rather an experiment with a negative outcome. They're a great tempo shoe but I think I've established they are not a long run shoe for me as they started rubbing my accessory navicular later into the run. I guess Nike didn't really account for mutants with extra bones in their feet. Some pain in the left foot too, seemingly where the peroneals insert (I have had aches in this area before but it was really quite sore when I got my shoes off, even though I'd only felt an ache there for the first couple of miles. I started worrying I might have a stress fracture but after digging around, the bone is fine and it's definitely soft tissue. I will need a much easier week next week. I have done 56 miles this week without planning to, so I need to calm down a bit.
    Hope the blister heals fast MalMal. Ouch. Maybe a wrinkle in your sock? Good 10 miles.

Nice terrier taming swittle.  Great news on the lack of niggles.  I'm certainly grateful to be in a fairly safe place workwise at the moment, the next few months might be interesting though.

One mouse less on the loose then Cal. The Tennessee challenge sounds interesting but it sounds like you need to be careful with the mileage too. Nice sight-seeing around London. Extra bones in your feet sound interesting?

Well done to your kitty GD ;) Like the pacing discussion with your partner. I've misjudged the timing on being back for work calls a couple of times and had to join in sweaty running clothes. Nice!

Recoveryish 4 yesterday evening, nothing much to report other than it was fairly breezy which as always encouraged me to run a bit too fast as I couldn't hear myself breathing.

This morning mini-breakast then out for around 3 miles of warm-up (drills n'strides). 6 × 800m (GPS) with 2 min recoveries and a bit short of 1 mile cool-down. Speedwork as always tough, stomach a bit grumpy towards the end of each 800 but a walk-jog recovery calmed it down each time. Cool and slightly breezy but dressed wisely dumping the LS top whilst doing the workout. Crossed paths with the local speedy junior, nice running style as always. Also crossed paths with two riders, I was on the last 100 or so metres of an 800 and the leader kindly waited for me.  Very considerate.  I met them regularly and both sides always have a friendly greeting ready.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yeah it's not as dramatic as it sounds. We all have a navicular bone on the inside of our foot, but a small percentage of people have an extra bone there as well. I only have it one foot but it's pretty noticeable - a little bump that sticks out. It can cause problems for some people as the post tib attaches there but mine's been largely asymptomatic (I do have a niggly post tib on occassion but I don't think the bone is to blame). But as it sticks out, some shoes can rub at it, which I found today. Most of my other shoes are flyknit so don't bother it but the Turbos are a lot less stretchy.

Nice intervals.
  • Good intervals, Hazelnut!

Interesting route, Cal, sounds like a really nice run - pain aside!

Rest day yesterday so decided to try and do a 15-16 mile run today, with loads of hills added in. Figured I can't try a half marathon in future if I'm only good on the flat which, by admission, all of my previous attempts have been. Started out a bit quick, but I thought nothing of it. Was a bit slow up the hills but didn't mind, was going for the distance not the time. Got to about 8 miles and, facing another hill, my digestive system (to prevent too much information) just felt all over the place. The roads by this point just seemed long and never ending, and my pace had slowed to 9's and 10's - was practically dragging myself up the steep hills and along the flats. My calfs were angry, my blister was agony. It sucked, and it's the first time I've thought negatively about a run. Got to 13.1 miles and thought it time to call it an end, before my digestive system got too messy, so called up the fiancée and requested an emergency evacuation home! After sorting myself out, had fun popping the blister! 

On brighter notes, I did run a hilly half marathon in under 2 hours so I'm pleased with that. Also, made some golden syrup porridge out the packet (Quaker oats sachets), microwaved it, and added an apple for some healthy fruit. Tasted so good! Just like apple pie!!
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Good news on the trapping front, Cal.  I've always favoured self referencing in race terms :)  Like the sound of the Tennesse challenge.  You'd make a great guided run person for visitors to The Smoke!

Guarddog: in car time trial style, why not run watchless and see how close you can get to a pre-agreed time?

I admire the discipline in your structured sessions, Hazel - more than I'd ever have!

Out at 8 this evening, with a huge, pulsing ball of orange released from its cloudy prison being a standout moment.  Boating lake, Marina & down the beach parallel to the incoming tide, steering around some overkeen waves.  Sandy trail bordering the docks and a trail-path-trail combo the length of the ornamental gardens & back to my start.  4 miles dead in 40:28, tantalisingly close to sub-10:xx :)

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Just catching up with the posts,great running as usual.

Hazelnut,great 20k and intervals.I keep making a mental note to do a speed session,but it hasn't got any further than that at the moment.

Well done on getting your pesky mouse Cal.That was a special run yesterday,taking in all of those special sites,and no tourists getting in the way.

Great HM Malteser,it can be a long run when your stomach is all over the place.Hope your blisters are getting better.I love my porridge as well,always with some honey.

Lovely run last night,Swittle,very close to sub 10.I grew up in south Liverpool,and used to run round Allerton,Woolton/Calderstones Park,many uears ago.

GD,can you lend me your cat,I have a massive rat stalking the garden.Well done on the intervals.

Finished painting the house yesterday morning,that's one big job out of the way for a few years.8.26 miles along the canal yesterday afternoon,with Polly.It was busiest I had seen the canal towpath since the first weekend of the lockdown,especially with cyclists,not that it caused any problems.Everyone kept distance and were all considerate .

• GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    If you were going to choose a mutant superpower, Cal, what would it be? I suspect you wouldn't have chosen an extra bone in your foot.

Good drills, Hazelnut. Were the stomach gripes to do with the mini breakfast or just that it didn't like the 800? I need to build up to 800, going to do another 400m set on Thursday.

Hope your stomach is feeling better MM? Was the porridge before or after your run? And did you take any gels with you or water?

Well done on the 4 miles swittle. And so close. I'm sure you'll get to it soon. The running without a watch is an interesting thought. The club do a naked run as part of the Parkrun grand prix series where you have to specify a time you'll do a run in and you're not allowed to wear a watch. And I did Kenyan hills a couple of years ago where my watch ran out of juice on the first set and so I just went by distance up the hill rather than time. Actually quite enjoyable, so might suggest it.

Out early yesterday as I had another morning call. 80min run starting at Saltdean, by the lido, and heading along the under cliff path towards Brighton. Being early there weren't many people about, but we soon realised we had the wind behind us on the out leg (schoolboy error). After Saturday's exertions it was decided that we would be sensible and the the full run covered a touch under 9 miles and was done in 9:05 average pace, which, for us, was sensible. Cloudy day and as we finished we felt the spattering of rain that settled in soon after.

Today we were out early again. This time running from Hove and heading east, so breeze in our faces as we faced a cloudy morning. My legs felt distinctly heavy after the weekend so I was rather keen that we kept to a reasonable pace, setting out at a touch over 9min/mile. At the turn we appeared to speed up, although she was convinced she was pacing it evenly. As we got to the last mile she again wound it up and I was, at that point, struggling to keep pace and almost decided to let her go. But the competitive side of me (not that it's a competition) meant I managed to close a 10m gap she'd opened and I did find a nice natural rhythm which meant even when she sped up at the end I was able to keep pace without going all out sprint. Not quite the easy run I was looking for, but a nice way to start the day.
  • JD - Sounds like a good run, unfortunate that the paths are crowded but at least they don't impede you. I saw a picture of my old 5k route back from about 9 years ago and it looked manic! Where I am now, people are inconsiderate to anyone else on footpaths or in shops. 

GD - it's interesting, because it's only recently (i.e. the last two times I've run) that I've encountered GI issues. I don't know if it's because I'm going too fast/hard, but then it's not really any more effort than usual. I don't take gels (not experimented with them yet) but I did have a cereal bar...after the GI issues. As it was a run longer than 6 miles, I took water but didn't drink too much.

The porridge I ate was a couple of hours before the run, too, so I doubt it was that. No real changes in diet, but I think I'll probably need to eat more fibre early in the day so that it clears the system before the run and not arise during it.

Gentle 3 miles today with the partner due to 13 miles yesterday, plus the blister. Blister seems to be healing well so that's a positive. Partner got a PB though - when she puts the pace on and puts her mind to it, she makes leaps and bounds. Think Monday's help as a PB attempt as she has the whole weekend to recover from Friday's run.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Malteser - runs like that are where we develop the mental fortitude we need for race day. Well done on a hilly sub-2, and for toughing it out.

GD, I'd rather have a Wolverine healing factor so I could get over injuries instantly. That would be nice.
    Your partner has a competitive streak, eh?

Rest yesterday, although I did walk 5 miles and do a bit of yoga. Went to bed with a headache (postural/tension) thinking it would be gone by morning and it got worse during the night. I still feel sore and groggy now. I went out for a recovery run around Wandsworth Common (for a change) which would have been a lot more enjoyable without the headache. 7 miles logged, though.
    Got back to find a box of Tokyo memorabilia waiting for me - race shirt, some sort of robe, race number and program. Not sure what to do with it all, honestly. It's a nice shirt but I don't feel right wearing something I haven't earned, but hey ho. The robe thing looks quite useful at least.
  • Cal, interestingly something like 6-10 miles doesn't scare me anymore. 13.1 miles doesn't scare me as much as it used to. Going further is the scary bit at present, especially when the wheels feel like they're coming off on the cusp of 13 miles.

The Tokyo memorabilia sounds pretty cool, even if it sucks you're unable to run it. The robe is probably a traditional kimono - my fiancée loves them and has been dying to buy more (perhaps I need to run Tokyo so I can get one...🤔). I've seen them used as ceremonial dresses or for going to local onsen's (spring baths) in.