My Last Run

Comments

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

That's good news that you won't be out for too long Cal,like you said no pressure to get back for racing.

Two decent runs GD.I suffer with a red head at this time of year as well.

Good 9 miles Swittle.I went to Martin Mere many years ago when at primary school.

I didn't know you were pushing 100 days streak Hazelnut,that's good going.I leave the house at 5 in the morning for work so an evening run is all I can do.

Just two very easy 5 mile runs with Polly over the last couple of evenings.She enjoyed her run but took a while for her to cool down.

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    JD1: the 9 was the time I set out!  When training for a relay Wainwright crossing, my friend, Barry, would take yellow Lab, Brutus, along.  On our return, he'd lie on garden flags while being hosed down.  He was good for 9-10 miles; warm weather too.

GD: setting off more slowly seems to be helping me handle the heat.  Around 22 deg. C when I started my run just after 9pm yesterday.   Busy with people, including two extended families equipped with tables, chairs and goalposts!  Few camp fires and no weed stink in the air - unusual, that.  The tide was perhaps 400 yards from the prom, low at 8.48pm.  1:00:22 for 5.9 miles, giving up 0.6 mile on my best one-hour distance a few weeks ago.

Good to read of the looping back in the 'bubble' run, GD - in the very small club I joined years ago, it was eyeballs out and everyone for themselves!

• HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    No point in pushing it at all in 28 degrees GD. 

Get you on the no chance to run in the mornings JD.  Hope you can acclimatize fairly quickly. 

Is the Wainwright crossing the coast to coast trail swittle? (St Bees to Robin Hood's Bay)  Looks nice.  Did you do a bit or just your friend? Well done on the hour PB.

My Tuesday group has regathering points (conveniently at watering spots at the tops of hills).  We sometimes split into sub-groups but in particular in not so easy conditions (hot or cold/icy) people look out for the others and keep an eye on anyone badly struggling.  Every now and then someone seems to save their best efforts for that evening to "show the rest" but it just means they have to wait longer. 

Doing things alongside of running has continued to be the theme this week (cycling, hiking, moped tour, lazy day) so three fairly short runs Mon-Wed at gentle pace and the later two in the evening heat.  Today an earlier outing so drove to a river providing long stretches of flat shady green tunnels for 6 miles of bridge to bridge and back.  Quite pleasant still - around 15-16 degrees but pretty high humidity.  Finished up with 5 x strides at the car park.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Yes, Hazel, that's the one.  My friend taught in Malawi and worked at Leeds Girls' HS when I met him.  Groups of contacts & friends made up 5 or 6 'teams' - but organisation was minimal and I can't recall any mobile phones.  Our team ran 4 legs, about 45 miles in all, and there was a mass arrival at RHB.  We started on 20th June 1993 and finished on the Sunday, the summer solstice.  32 hours in all, day and night.

You're doing well to ring the changes with training: too hot for me last night, really, and I've had a quiet time in today.  Short walk later.
  • Very jealous of that 15-16 degree weather wherever you are Hazel... had highs of 29 here today and it's hard just sitting in the house, nevermind going for a run! Did manage a short 2 miler today though but that's about all I could manage at the pace I was at. Definitely am not going to miss this weather a whole lot come Autumn.
    Welcome Racsoix. Those were the morning temps, don't think ee managed 29 but I was happy to join swittle in a quiet day at home, only venturing out to do some gardening in the evening.  Hard if you can't keep your indoors reasonably cool. Pace matters much less when it is hot but well done for getting out at all.

Sometimes amazing what it was possible to do without a mobile swittle. Thanks for the infos.

My final week day off work was focused on running. Despite the warm / hot humid conditions I decided to jog trot around the route of a race I have had on my list for a while. Trail features in the title but there was actually quite a lot of tarmac. A couple of the woodland descents would need trail shoes for sure in wet conditions being steep and root infested Some farm tracks had been well churned by cattle so I was glad I was wearing sturdy off-road shoes. Three long and steep climbs caused considerable perspiration but I was careful to keep the effort down to get round the course in decent shape.  I followed the route both on paper (bit soggy by the end) and via a breadcrumb route loaded to my watch but still managed a few wrong turns due to lack of concentration.

16.x miles in 3:18:33 (+ navi breaks) with nearly 900m of ascent/descent. Pleased that the legs were never overly stressed, heat management was much more the issue.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hey all. It's cooled down here in London, thank god...Wednesday to Friday it was 28-30 degrees in my flat. Now down to 20.
    I'm still getting out there and walking (7.5 miles this morning, which took a little over 2 hours)
    . I think I have figured out my groin issue. I was Googling groin injuries and found one from a physio with three case studies. One was a woman with a hip capsule issue which was worse when the hip was in extension, and aggravated by internal rotation of the femur. This rang some bells because a) when I injured my groin in the gym at the end of 2015, my masseur/osteo said he through I might have pinched the hip capsule, b) my right femur is rotated in a little and c) discomfort is on extension (when I injured it squatting, it was when I straightened up from the squat a little too explosively). Ding ding ding.
    With lockdown meaning I can't get to the gym, I've been doing yoga almost every day, and the kind I favour is Vinyasa - lots of sun salutations and warriors, which means lots of lungeing and therefore a lot of hip extension. So I'm going to back off the yoga for now.
    Although I've been doing quite a lot of glute exercises, I'm now concentrating on strengthening glute medius, to try and correct the internal rotation, and hopefully this will do the trick.

Anyway, discomfort is more intermittent now. I feel my groin a bit when I walk - it usually kicks in a third of a mile in to the walk and then last about a mile before easing - but it's more of a slight niggle now (not at all like the walk to the shops I did a week ago when I was almost limping). I might try a short run tomorrow to see how it handles that.
    Less heat must be a relief Cal, don't envy you living in a city when things get hot.
    Could be an idea to back off the yoga a bit till the groin settles or at least certain exercices. Good luck with the test run tomorrow.

Hot and humid recovery yesterday evening, 3 and a bit miles. Got OH out with me which was nice. Stuck to a woodland route despite the undulations, much pleasanter than the sun out in the fields.

Fell out of bed this morning at just past 6am (meeowww!) and decided to stay out of it. Out of the door at 7am in around 18 degrees but with high humidity (couple of light showers were very refreshing though).  Around 12.5 miles with some faster bits here and there along the flat sections and I also put in a bit of effort over the undulations on the last couple of miles home. Home feeling I could have done quite a bit more. Around 50 miles this week despite the lack of focus on running but with no strain at all and I feel pretty refreshed.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's very positive, Hazel!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    My groin wasn't sore when I got up so after an extensive glute/hip warm-up I went out for my run. Wasn't sure how far I should try to go but once I'd got going I realised groin wasn't bad at all - I could barely feel it - and certainly less grumpy than my achilles (although that did settle after half a mile or so).
    It felt a little awkward, the way runs do after a break, but generally not bad. Didn't push the pace at all but averaged 10:45 so a nice easy run but not a horrendously slow one (for me).
    So, good news. I'll spend this week easing back in and trying to avoid the temptation of trying out some of the horrendous hills I've found this summer.

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    A switch in season, and 40mph winds, gusting to 50, at Crosby this morning.  Last night's 25mph WSW seems balmy by comparison!  

The heat & humidity you're 'enjoying', Hazel, is a distant memory here.  Well done on the half-hundred weekly mileage - and the ascent too!

At once, breathing was more comfortable and the solitude was only broken when I met a swimmer [trunks only] emerging from the waves near the leisure centre.  During a short chat, he told me he was from Poland.  Bear in mind this is after 9pm.  :-)  Just over 5 miles in just over 50 minutes, and enjoyable too.  Early on, I caught a runaway Pug by its lead, and was thanked profusely by its owner.  Never dull here!

Cal: it certainly seems your hip issue is resolving itself.  That link between core & legs is crucial, [said he, stating the obvious.]
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the thread, Racsoix, nice to see you here. Weather has indeed cooled down now.

Well done on the 50 mile week, Hazelnut, quite an achievement. Hopefully the fall out of bed didn't leave you with too much of a bruise  ;)

Glad the groin has improved, Cal. Nice bit of diagnosis and hopefully the run this morning hasn't had a detrimental affect.

You never know what you're going to see when you go out for a run, swittle. Including Poles in swimming trunks. So to speak.

Two runs over the weekend. Another virtual age graded club 5K on Saturday. Again round the velodrome at Preston Park. The conditions were a lot cooler this week than last, but even so I decided to build into the run rather than go all out as I did the week before. Followed my partner around for first mile to keep me honest. We also ran more on the track itself than on the grass, which I think helped a bit more, apart from one particular bend where the banking is more marked. I then took over for the rest of it, trying to maintain a steady rhythm and only looking at my watch for distance rather than the pace. I had a plan to hold it steady for the last lap and then go for a sprint 100m out from where I assumed the finish would be. Which would have been great if the finish hadn't been 80m earlier than I'd expected, hence a very truncated sprint finish. Managed 23:25, which is my quickest time this year and third fastest ever, so pleased with that. Although if I'd not messed up where I thought the finish might be I think that would have been a couple of seconds quicker. Also finished with the rain providing a bit of cooling edge.

Yesterday was a 10K easy run along the coast from Shoreham, to Worthing. Very strong winds coming in from the west which meant we ran into it on the way out. I actually enjoyed the out run more than I did turning round and running with the wind behind.  My hip was also quite sure for the first mile or so, but eased off after a while.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Great dog wrangling, swittle! And you're not wrong about the core.

I woke up very groggy today and it took me ages to get going (I even considered not running, but then told myself I'd feel better if I ran...which I do, in fact). I didn't make it out until almost 7, which is horrendously late for me. :D   I was also quite sore from the S&C session I did yesterday afternoon (lots of hip/glute stuff but also some push-ups and stuff) so my warm-up today was mostly foam rolling.

Concentrated on form a lot more and it resulted in a little more pace than yesterday. Groin was quiet...achilles had a good old moan though but I'm not listening to any of its nonsense. Anyway, got 6 miles done, so I'm happy with that. I may well take a rest tomorrow and run Thursday and Friday (weather doesn't look great, either).
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Good news about your groin, Cal,great bit of self diagnosis as well.I'm sure you'll be ok now.

That's an impressive 16 miles run Hazelnut,as is the 50 mile week,I can't remember what they are.

It's very unseasonal with these heavy winds,Swittle,well done on catching the runaway Pug.

GD,well done on the third fastest 5k,maybe a PB in the future?I think every runner has messed up a sprint finish.

Couple of runs over the weekend.First was a 5.85 miles trail run along the river.10 on  Sunday,8 with Polly,got back to the house,picked up my eldest daughter for 2 miles,with the youngest following on her scooter.My eldest has a love for running,which is great to see,not sure what'll happen when she hits her teenage years though, when other attractions will grab her attention.

edited June 2020
    Great news you are back out running Cal, guess all the body parts need to get used to the idea after a break of a few days.

Windy swittle, hopefully not too full of sand. Can imagine a late swim being nice, less people around? Well done on grabbing the pug!

Great 5k GD. Rewards for the speedwork you do. Hard to time the sprint finish if you don't have a line to aim for.

Nice weekend miles JD, especially out with the for and two legged family members. Would be nice if your daughter kept the running up.

Recovery run yesterday evening with a few strides at the end. Surprisingly OH came out with me again though he did leave out the strides. He trotted home whilst I got on with those -meant I didn't have to listen to criticism about my elbows sticking out.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Glad you and your eldest are enjoying the running, JD. As far as she is concerned, even if other things distract her as she gets older, running is one thing you can always come back to (I should know!)

Hazelnut, I have quite a funny image of you know with your elbows. I see a lot of weird arm carriages when I'm out and about - there was one woman I passed today who carried her arms in front of her with her palms down, which put me in mind of Tommy Cooper.

I did say I was going to rest today, but I woke early and the conditions were be perfect so I couldn't resist. Not surprisingly my body was quite grumpy for the first mile but mostly settled after that...I say mostly because good old achilles grumbled the entire way. But I was enjoying the run so I told it I wasn't going to listen to its bullshit and carried on. For 10 miles...which might have been a bit far today as I was quite tired towards the end (I was also running at the faster end of my easy range rather than the recovery end, which would have been smarter, but I was thinking about my form a lot and I know my form gets worse the slower I go).
    I did focus a lot on trying to maintain a long spine and not collapsing into my pelvis as I am prone to do when I'm tired, so my hips and groin held up OK.
    I will definitely take a rest tomorrow, even though it looks nice again. I guess I will go for a walk.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Guarddog: the Pole seems to have started a trend: last night, gone 9 o'clock, a man's emerging from the sea near the leisure centre.  A few words established he'd been cooling off after a workout.  Cheaper than those ice baths!  I find the weather has a greater impact on my running in my 'senior' years.  Your progressive approach is working well.

Cal: weather watch has always featured in my running, even when Streaking dictated I 'had' to get out!  Glad you're feeling easier.

JD1: it was almost dead calm on the beach last night, 3mph ENE, according to my weather site, the wonderfully named 'willyweather'.  :-)  I enjoy seeing 'generations' enjoying running together - a common site at Crosby beach parkrun in those halcyon days.

Hazel: sharp elbows help on crowded trains and sales in stores - but I'd let those elbows do their thing!

1:00:24 last night, just over 6 miles.  Pleasantly warm, just some very faint drizzle.  Quiet by the lakes and along the beach.  Curiosity shown by a Shar Pei as I passed.  Not the first time this dog has checked me out.  A long-legged terrier approached me cautiously for a pat, went back to owner, and then galloped down to meet me again.  It's definitely a dog's life!

• Hi, I am a postgraduate student at the University of Liverpool, and I am conducting research as part of my postgraduate dissertation. The aim of this research is to understand how understandings of health and fitness are impacted by the social interaction on MapMyRun. I aim to address this question through researching the social surveillance on MapMyRun and the perceived impacts of this, the role the app plays in understandings of health and fitness and the motivations behind making use of MapMyRun’s ability to share data on other forms of social media.

As part of this research I am conducting online interviews and I am looking for English speakers (16+) to take part. Depending on your preference these can either be via email, chat platform, video or phone. The interviews should not take more than half an hour. If you would like to volunteer to take part, please could you email me on sgofletc@liverpool.ac.uk and I will be in contact to arrange an interview. Thank you! :)
    edited July 2020
    Don't use MapMyRun fletcol - sorry.

Sharp elbows can be helpful in races too, don't usually dish out too many (gentle) hints though. Maybe for extreme corner cutters.

Good work on the 10 miler Cal, sometimes you have to tell the grumbly bits to shut up. Good idea to keep a eye on your form especially when running tired. Hope you had a nice walk today.

Hope the water wss warmer than an icebath for your Pole swittle.  Drizzle sounds refreshing. You meet quite a few different types of dog then. How is your knee holding up in the meantime?

3 runs to post: group trot on Tuesday - the standard route plus I also jogged over and back home for just short of a HM. The men who had been complaining a few weeks ago about the ladies shooting off returned the complement (again) so was pretty tired when I got home.

Yesterday a sluggish short trot in more heat with annoying toothache.

Fortunately better today and a bit cooler / breezier. 6 and a bit miles on loops of a field and a wood. Had my own dog encounter a young black lab which was still learning to coordinate tail and paws. Decided to wait until the owners caught up (apologies) and after the initial excitement it was actually quite well behaved for its age.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Plenty elbow room for me tonight, Hazel!  I met some friends with their 14-year+ grey/silver lurcher tonight - we're friends from my Streak days - the man plays viola in L'pool Philharmonic Orchestra & he & his partner a great parkrun fans.

It's pleasing when dogs sort out meetings on dog-agreed terms.  Cooler & woods sound a winning combo.

4.6 miles in 43:xx - didn't stop watch when chatting with friends.  Warmer than I thought, tide advancing, and the half of the run after my meet felt much more comfortable.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    swittle, love the "willyweather" - I know there's a nudist beach in that area, too. :D

What sort of dog do you have, Hazle?

Yesterday was a rest day so I had a walk and then did a bit of rehab/strength in the afternoon. Groin was oddly more niggly. I don't know if it didn't like the 10 miler on Wedneseday but was slow to react, or if it didn't like the walk (pretty sure I have a lot more hip extension when I walk than when I run) or some of the exercises.
    I wasn't sure if I should even try running today, but decided to risk it and after a brief moan at the start of the run, it warmed up and was fine. Most of the discomfort came from left high hammy, which seems extra grumpy for no real reason (it was even grumpier than the achilles, which had the good sense to shut up after a small tantrum during the first mile).
    Getting my body to behave is like trying to manage a bunch of unruly kids on a school trip. "Quiet at the back of the bus!"

• GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Can understand the benefits of a cool off, swittle. One of the 'bubble' runs next week is a run/swim affair. Unfortunately it's using the route we would normally do, so we will have the delights of the hills next week. 

Nice couple of runs, JD, and also that you're sharing the running experience with your daughter. Hopefully she'll continue to love it.

Nice to see you're running OK, Cal, without too many issues. Hopefully there was no adverse reaction.

Good set of runs this week, Hazelnut. How's the tooth?

Sorry Fletcol, likewise I don't use MapMyRun. This is my only social interaction to discuss what I've done.

Two runs this week, 'bubble' run on Tuesday with 5 other clubmates. It's been interesting that each week we've done it we've had different people running with us. Nice to see people, although worrying that they don't choose to run with us again. I'm checking my deodorant. Normal 11K along the Adur route with a few stops to regroup. At least we weren't out for as long as we were last week.

Then yesterday we did a group speed session at the velodrome. Started with a warm up lap (550m) then half lap sprint with half lap recovery. Repeated that for a total of 5 times and then did hill sprints. From hill sprints we did a 'train' session - person at the back sprints to the front. A total of 4.6 miles in a 45 minute session with some walks in between the activities.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yeah I don't use mapmyrun either - I use Garmin Connect primarily and then Strava for the social side.
  • No worries thank you! If anyone knows anyone who does use MapMyRun and could pass my email along (sgofletc@liverpool.ac.uk) that would be so helpful thanks :)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I was pretty niggly this morning, so almost didn't run but I spent half an hour doing foam rolling, stretching and mobility work (rather than the usual 10-15 minutes) and when I got outside I was actually less niggly than yesterday. There's a moral in there somewhere.
    6 miles again. I want to go longer tomorrow but will see how I feel. I won't push it too much at this point.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Today’s mission was to find Wimbledon’s Dairy Walk footpath, which a clubmate had found and recommended on Strava. It proved a bit harder than expected. I got myself to Church Road, where I knew there was an entrance, but it wasn’t where I expected it to be (turns out I was looking on the wrong side of the junction). After failing twice, I ran up and alongside the common to see if I could locate from the other end, but as I’d planned to hit it from Church Road, I couldn’t remember exactly where the other end was.
    As it turns out I blundered onto Marryat Road which cuts through the footpath, so I decided to try the left section of path first before circling back to Marryat and doing the right part.
    It turned out to be barely a path, but a narrow, dirt track which sandwiched me between a wooden fence and a lot of brambles and nettles. There was also a lovely big puddle before the path veered steeply upward and back onto Burghley Road. I was not impressed. (In fact, I was thinking “WTF, Dez?” - Dez being the club member in question) but I decided I would at least check out the other half, which is accessed from a cul-de-sac on Marryat Road.
    This half was actually delightful (aside from the fact it was a pretty steep hill) – paved and bordered on either side by all sorts of colourful flowers.  So I’m happy I found that part.
    I wasn’t supposed to be doing any hills just yet but seem to have managed to run up and down a few today. Groin was fine but left high hammy and right achilles were having a contest to see who could scream the loudest. Hammy won.  You’d never guess they’d just had a nice holiday, ungrateful buggers.
    12 miles also seemed a long way today. It feels like I’ve lost all my endurance during the 10 day break, which I know is nonsense, so not quite sure what happened there (I probably shouldn’t have pushed over the railway bridge on the way back in search of a segment PR, but some things are hard to resist).
    Anyway, TL;DR – found it. Eventually.
    Haven't got a dog myself Cal and swittle, phrased my post a bit poorly above.  Lurchers are nice too and 14 a good age. 

Maybe the chat caused you to reset your pace to a more comfy level swittle.

Didn't you used to be a teacher Cal? PE I think? Nice explorer report above, can imagine up bits of that without having been there which is nice. 12 is a decent distance already, the rest will come back quickly.

Tooth is fine again GD, thanks. Should get it looked at though. Maybe your club group will settle down soon. Nice speed 'n'hill session, like the idea of the hill train.

Bit behind again on posting: disadvantage of streaking.
    Decent speed session on Friday: 3 x 10 mins @LT pace with 4 min recoveries. Repeat of a session I did a couple of weeks ago. Felt easier, maybe because a bit slower, deliberately so as I tried to ease into the first minute of each 10 rather than setting off too fast.
    Short recovery yesterday evening.
    Out before 8am today for a long run, (16.x miles). Pace was a bit random sometimes but on the whole a bit of progression through the easier paces. Did drop back for the undulations of the last couple of miles as I was overwarm and getting thirsty. Not too many people out, one encounter with a guy in a tractor: we were both keen on giving way to the other, came to a full stop and had a laugh and wave before getting going again.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done Hazel...saw that on Strava. Good pace considering the tractor. Yes, I was a PE teacher from 2011 to 2015.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Cal: willyweather also offers tides, rainfall, sun & moon times/phases, UV, tides, and swell!  A run of two halves, then, Cal!  I've been avoiding enclosed paths or canal banks - but I'm spoilt by the coast, am I not? Must be a good reason why your niggles rarely take a break... ;)

Guarddog: yes, tricky to meet every runner's individual needs.  Fascinated by session @ velodrome: were the corners/straights banked?

Hazel: two contrasting, useful outings there.  The giving way thing is hilarious, even when on a pavement, but it's better that way!

Last night, 8.30, and the wind strengthening all the time.  Round the lakes, with little company, then up to the leisure centre via a joyful meeting with a Pug pup, determined to show how fierce s/he was!  Better pace on rising trail, then foiled by a fresh WSW wind @ 20mph +.  A worthwhile effort, neverthe less.  5.1 miles, 50:01.  Even windier all of today so far, so a good shout.

• GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    I have visions of you now running in a "WTF Dez?" t-shirt, Cal. Could be a big winner. Well done on the two runs and the distance. Hopefully the hamstring and achilles are not causing you too many problems.

Some good runs there, Hazelnut. I am constantly impressed by the mileage you put in and the current streak you're on. And nice to have a friendly encounter with the tractor.

The wind has certainly been a factor this weekend, strettle. Good run out for you and a decent pace. The velodrome, I found out yesterday, is of Victorian construction. It's not quite an oval shape, more 4 straights linked by corners with only one of them you could say was truly banked. It's on that corner when running on the track itself one would cut inside onto the grass as it would throw you off balance otherwise. But it is more than suitable for speed work and there are a number of different groups training there.

Just the one run over the weekend. Woke up on Saturday to rather wet and windy conditions and decided to see how the weather panned out. If it had cleared up in the afternoon we had planned to venture out, but it didn't.

So Sunday we were interested to see what the morning would bring and when I got up to make coffee it didn't look great. It had obviously continued to rain overnight and the sky appeared to threaten more. And the wind was still gusting away. In the end we decided to brave things and as we left the house we could see the first chinks of blue sky peaking through the rolling cloud. As we need to do a 5K for the club's virtual age graded 5K series we decided to park at Brighton marina and head towards Saltdean. In a change of previous weeks the plan was to go straight into the 5K and then jog back. Again I was very aware of not putting too much into the initial pace and to 'grow' into the run. However my partner seemed to be on a mission as she opened up a 10m gap on me and it was really stretching me to try and keep it to that. She maintained that lead for the first 2.5K when I eventually managed to close up, draw level and then run past. Concentrating on form and stride I tried to stay as relaxed as possible, again only looking at my watch for distance rather than time or pace. There is a point where you pass a cage affair on the prom that holds a basketball court and football pitch and I know at that point it's about 1km, but I was desperately hanging in at that point and trying to convince myself it was less than 5 minutes of pain left. Tried to hold back going into the last 800m and judging it for the sprint at the end it was really all I could do to keep the legs turning over going into the last 200m and I feel as if there wasn't much of an increase in pace. But I was exceptionally glad to hear the beeps of my watch to indicate the 5K was done and my initial reaction was to find somewhere to just lie down. In the end I sat on the seawall and watched as my partner ran through, looking infinitely stronger than I felt. Considering she'd run a PB the week before (23:48) I asked her how she'd fared this time - 23:04. I'd not even looked at my watch until this point. 22:16*.

* It has to be said that this was set with a rather generous tail wind (32kmh) and so whilst it's my first time under 23 mins I feel it's a slightly hollow PB. As my partner said afterwards she was more proud of her time last week. 

We got a coffee from the cafe on the promenade and decided to drink and walk back towards the marina. Heading back west you got a real sense of how strong the wind was. With the tide coming in even further in the time since we'd passed earlier it made for some spectacular waves breaking over the seawall at certain points, soaking the unwary on the under cliff path. At times it was impossible to avoid and so we were routinely sprayed and felt the salt on our lips before deciding to jog back the last mile.