My Last Run

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    John, there was a no mow May initiative to encourage wildlife and so forth - that's probably why. How amazing to have eagles near you.
    Hazel, I love hares - been years since I've seen one though.

Yesterday was a gym day - 30 mins on the elliptical and then some lower body rehabby stuff. I did some lateral step ups and my knee did not like that one bit so I canned it after one set. It was a bit cranky on today's run but felt more stiff than stabby.

I decided to stick to 10 miles today but to make it a little quicker. I did a route encompassing both Brixton and Wandsworth prisons, and also explored some backstreets a bit. I found a small housing estate with roads named after 80s athletes - Daley Thompson, Bev Callender and Keith Connor. I also realised I could have done two windmills as well as two prisons but I didn't think of that at the time. I can probably do a three windmill run once I'm up to bigger miles, encompassing Brixton, Wandsworth and Wimbledon.
    The last two miles were sub-10s which I'm happy with but I still have a long way to go, fitness-wise. I need to find a way to improve my fitness without causing any further niggles. Not easy.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Themed routes could make a session interesting for more than simply the miles covered.  Post boxes, lakes, churches.  A friend who did camera work in tv & films for years reeled off the prisons he'd 'shot' in, altho' there was no direct contact with inmates.

Away for an hour's running at 9.30 last night, a blazing golden sun swallowed by thick bands of cloud - yet it was still just about light enough to see the way approaching 11pm.  Firm beach up to the old coastguard station, car park v busy.  Easier going along the trails in cooler air, Darwn into a conversation with a chap, binoculars and plastic glass of 'drink' in hand, about why I ran so late.  The tide had left a darker, firm shelf, smooth & drying but soft sand slowed my step up to the prom & finish pint.
  • john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Cal, an interesting (and almost infinite, I guess) variety of themed runs are possible for you.
    Swittle,  less variety but rather more idyllic runs for you! (Lovely photo.)
    I did a 2nd successive 'fast' 5k yesterday (actually 2 seconds slower than Saturday's) which wasn't very clever. A few twinges have popped up as a result so need to watch myself.
    Went to the allotment yesterday which always lifts the spirits. Spent an exhausting time watching Mrs JB weeding* and picking (strawberries mainly) while I chatted to a mate about the football. 

*feel a bit of a hypocrite having waxed lyrical about them before!
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    I will send you some grasshoppers if you like JB - they are pretty active in the long grass here and I sometimes have to actively ignore the montonous zzt zzt...  I prefer the cowbells on the field next door.  See your point on having a rich variety of insects and weeds though.  It is nice to see quite a few fields here with a broad strip around with place for flowers (lots of poppies and cornflowers normally) - not the worst of things the farmers can get subsidies.  Great news regarding the eagle.  And a tidy 5k time too.

Good return to running swittle.  I can imagine if being fun negotiating through that lot.  Cue hiiissss from the swans and honnnkk from the geese. 
    swittle said:
    The tide had left a darker, firm shelf, smooth & drying but soft sand slowed my step up to the prom & finish pint.
    Nice typo.. ;)  You are right about the themes  - running shouldn't be about just doing the miles.

Nice route exploring cal and good to see you bag another 10 miler.

My weekend's running was a bit hit and miss - I decided it would be a good idea to have another go at that challenge run - around 10k solo TT.  It wasn't.  I was already dripping with sweat after a sensible 3.x mile warm-up and could find no PMA to get into the TT bit.  I ground to a halt after just short of 2k.  Those were at a decent but not completely overdone pace but I felt pretty awful.  Never mind - really wasn't my conditions.

Sunday was still sauna conditions - I was out at around 8:15am and suffered for the first 10m at a sedate pace but fortuantely a breeze picked up after that which helped enormously so I was able to complete around 15 miles.  The humidity should be a bit better now after a few decent thunderstorms have cleaned the air, temps are also better this week.  Had my second jab yesterday though and am feeling a bit ropy today so will take it easy.

• Hi folks!  How are you all doing.

Another week of back pain unfortunately, I've been doing my stretches, but they haven't helpled a great deal, hopefully going to the doctor's today, I've had to take today off work which is a rarity, hope I don't have to take much time off.

Got a bit of running in anyway, physio says I can, not sure myself..

6.2 mile trail tuesday.

5.3 mile thursday after torrential rain all night, fields had gone from dry to ankle-deep mud.  Bagged a 7.09 final mile.  

Sunday, back to Bettshanger for 3 loops/13.5 miles.  The park was flooded which made getting into a rhythm hard.  I love running at Bettshanger park as on a sunny day you could be anywhere in the world, (with a bit of imagination and an early start before anyone gets there).

It's frustrating at the currently as I do really feel my fitness is decent at the moment; my last 3 long runs are 13.5, 16, and 17.75, all with very pretty minimal DOMS.  Until fairly recently anything around that I'd feel it a good bit the next day.  Also I couldn't manage a 1:50 half until last month.  Yet my back is so bad I'm really not sure I should even be running. My physio says I can still run, so will see how it goes.

Great running week Hazel, lots of nature spots.  I have yet to see a hedgehog this year, but we have bought a hedgehog igloo in the garden! No takers yet though.  Lots of hares in Dymchurch, don't ask me why as I never see them elsewhere in Kent, but plenty there.  Move so differently to rabbits..

Hope the dental work has gone Ok Swittle.  Like the picture!

That is frustrating regarding the physio Cal, and worrying about the shooting.  I like the idea of themed runs! no windmills here but I could do lakes maybe, or perhaps different farm animals/crops.

That is a fantastic run of physio-free running John, glad the achilles is no worse.  I have only had to once for running so far (tendonitis).  Our garden strawberries are doing well too.  

Have a great week all.

Has anybody suffered with toenails starting to fall off post-marathon?  should I tape them up?
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Hehe!  A pint of tea + brown sugar when I got in, while half watching the first ever episode of 'Lewis' - not all of it.  Then, post-bath, a pint of diet cola with dinner, watching 'LA Confidential' and trying not to think it tarnished because of the Spacey 'unpleasantness.'
    Sounds like you could do with a break from the driving LTT.  Good you can still keep running though.  A nice mile time in that mud.  You are doing good long runs - I would advise sticking to the general rules - consistency, don't increase too much in one go and drop down every 3-4 weeks.  With your back I would be careful with anything involving running down a hill as it would jar it.  I would leave the toe nail as it is - if it jags on anything just cover it with a plaster.    One of mine is always regrowing or damaged.  

Pint of tea sounds good swittle!

I had my second jab on Sunday and felt pretty carp most of yesterday.  It was a case of work a bit - rest a bit, work a bit.  I did my shortest run in a long time - just over 2 miles and very slow.  Loops of the village so I could duck out at anytime. Think the fresh air did me good though.  Did two loops and would have done a third
    but a thunderstorm moving in rapidly with close lightening and a downpour as I got past my finish point made my mind up pretty fast.  
  • Hazel, hope you make a speedy and full recovery from the jab. No T-storms here but plenty of rain. You won't lose much form if you take it easy for a couple of days. Thanks for the offer of the grasshoppers!

LTT sorry to hear about the ongoing back problem. When I had a dodgy back everyone I knew told me to stop running but I didn't and it cleared up. But in those grim days I did have a great deal of treatment from osteos, physios, remedial masseurs and chiropractors! But it's horrible and you do have my sympathy. I would agree with Hazel about the toenail.

Swittle, if I had that much fluid I'd be up half the night..........(you can guess why).

I meant to have a rest day yesterday but decided to leap onto the rowing machine. I've never gone beyond 5k in one go before so I though I'd have crack at a one-off 10K. No real clue what time to aim at so I thought I'd try and get inside my current 10K running time of 50 mins. Managed a 49.39 (nothing special for proper rowers I should add) most of which was rather uncomfortable and very hot.
    Luckily no aches and pains this morning, so managed a windy 7k in 33.20 which is about right given my 5k and 10k times.

And now just heard that one of my granddaughters (aged 5) has to self-isolate as someone in her class has Covid. Oh dear!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Which jab did you get, Hazel? With AZ, most people have a rough time with the first one but the second is much easier, and that was the case for me...I've heard it's the opposite with Pfizer, though. Not sure about the rest as most people I know got one of those two.
    LTT, can't help with toenails as I've never lost one. Hope the back problem gets resolved. 
    swittle, I agree with John there...I'd be in and out of bed all night!
    John, I haven't used the rower for a long time but when I did it was always sprints. Never liked doing longer distances on it as I'd have to stop if I needed a drink or wanted to scratch an itch, unlike other machines where your hands aren't busy, so to speak.
    I did have a go on the handcycle at the gym yesterday. Those para athletes who do handbiking must be hard as nails because I was knackered after a minute. I did tough it out for five, though - it's a good warm-up for upper body weights.
    I had a couple of gym/elliptical days so today I did an 8 mile fartlek type run. I was scheduled to run yesterday but the weather wasn't nice so decided to go today instead...and it was perfect out. My body was not perfect, though...knee felt cranky despite not running for two days and hammy was sore even when I got out of bed. I didn't feel hammy too much on the run but knee continued to be cranky afterwards (I usually walk around the block after finishing my run to get my HR down to a normal level before going indoors). I forced myself to have a good stretch and that got rid of the pain so I think the whole hip and leg is just really tight. I'm seeing Toby (my fizz) tomorrow anyway so he'll no doubt spend some time grinding his elbow into my SI joint, which usually helps, even though it is unpleasant.
    As for the run, I just threw in some random faster efforts and was pleased with the paces I hit - there was even one sub-9 minute mile in there. Of course, to be HM fit I'd need to run 13 of those, but my July HM has been postponed to September so I don't need to worry about that until August (when I'm in for the postponed Big Half).
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    LTT - Bettshanger.  Is that Kent?  And was there a colliery there in the past?  Sore back: for me, has to be very sore, as in 'Can't pull up socks' - I'd not run then.  Strengthening, as opposed to stretching, helps me still, even 2 years + after the knee osteo laid me low.  

Re implants: next session is in September, when caps will be fitted.  After that, impressions.  Should have new gnashers by Christmas!

Hazel: I hope you're feeling better, post-jab.  It must be wretched to be confined to shorter routes.

Another late hour of trail & beach last night round Crosby:  The tide was well up the beach and I'd a choice between newly waterlogged or soft, uneven sand by the water's edge - which hampered such pace as I have quite a bit.  Scores of 'young people' along the prom & heading for the car parks at the leisure centre.  On enquiring, I was told there'd been a bit of a gathering for music & refreshments.

A recovery walk to the boating lake this morning was rewarded by these two quite rare visitors, now regulars at Crosby.  A swan sleep-in!  

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ooh black swans! Lovely.
    Felt much better yesterday already - thanks.  I had Moderna, AZ isn't in use here. Just Moderna and Pfizer. 

Great rowing JB - interesting you can match your running times - have you ever rowed for real?  (I haven't).  And a good 7k run to back it up.  Your poor grandchild - self isolating at that age must be very tough and hard to understand.

Handcycling sounds interesting Cal.  Good luck at the physio (double check that house number!).  Shame about the postponement but a good thing as well it gives you more time to build up to it. 

Will be a nice present to yourself swittle.  Nice black swans - like the way they are distancing themselves from the whites - do they get on?

Group run yesterday evening and a couple of solo miles beforehand to work out if I was up to it - I was.  OH had the car out due to more thunderstorms forecasted.  I checked again and decided that it would be a good idea to go by bike to the meeting point.  Out of the door accompanied by the first drops but it was only once I had met up with the others for our standard 6 and a bit that the rain got going properly to the extent that I could wring some drops at least out of my t-shirt.  I was surprised to find my OH waiting with the car at the finish point - by then the sun was almost out but apparently it had been a lot worse at our end of the hill.  I gladly accepted the four-wheeled ride home as it would likely have got a bit chilly on the bike in my rather damp condition.
  • Cal, good luck at the physio. That reference to his elbow mad me wince. I didn't think I've ever seen a handcycle yet alone tried one. The para athletes do have some remarkable upper body strength.

Swittle, remember the old song 'All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth'?! Nice photos. We were talking about rare bird sightings. About 20 miles north of us is a place called 'Nepp' where they have storks living wild and breeding. They are magnificent.

Hazel, you seem to have bounced back after your jab. Do record your annual miles? You must clock up a fair old total.

A bike ride for me today - 25 miles round trip to Brighton with a head wind (it seemed) both ways! Very tiring; good cross-training.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hazel - Some of my US friends have had Moderna. We do have it here but it was approved after the other two so it's less common at the moment.
    John/swittle - I'm old enough that I remember my dad singing that (probably in response to my teeth falling out as a kid).
    I didn't realise there were storks in the UK!

4 mile recovery run today - lovely weather. Didn't much enjoy the run though as I made a point of going as slowly as I could (an experiment of sorts) and it just felt tortuous. I don't think I'd be cut out for low HR training. Physio later today.
    A posting might bump the thread up over the numerous tights ones.. (errmm).

JB - annual miles are faithfully recorded on Fetch and other places.  2021 is looking to be a higher year again which I hadn't planned to be honest.  Well done on the cycling - I know that wind phenomenon too well.  Storks are impressive big birds.  There is a decent sized colony in the village I used to live in.  Plenty of farmland and some swampy bits around which they seem to like.

Hope the physio went well yesterday Cal.  Deliberately running really slow isn't fun I agree.   Never training by HR and don't think I will bother trying it - especially as I have a wrist based sensor which tends to pick up cadence.

Poor run on Wednesday after a poor day in general - had planned a gentle MLR but couldn't face it.  Dragged myself out fairly late for a local plod about with very little motivation.  The fact it was pouring it down with rain above me and I could see the sun was shining not far off summed it up somehow.  One to put behind me.

Rain was yesterday's theme as well - we are currently in for daily sometimes severe thunderstorms and it is more or less impossible to go by the forecasts.  I was presented just before setting off with the likelihood of being grazed by a medium shower yesterday, what I got was a full-on deluge with accompanying bangs and flashes.   I did a 5k warm up with some strides, a few dynamic stretches and could see what I was in for.  The planned 5-6 x 800 turned into a 2 mile dash for cover @10k PB pace.  Seldom been wetter after a run.  Wriggled around in the car to change and waited a bit before driving home.  I wanted to do a couple of miles cool-down nonetheless but postponed these to a drier window, finished making a pizza and popped out for a couple of village loops whilst it was in the oven.   Whole thing was actually a small boost to my malingering mojo - the 2 miles dash felt good, I was pretty well distracted from the fact it might be hard work.
  • Hazel, pretty damp here but nothing that compares with the pyrotechnics down your way. Who would have thought that a 'dash for cover' could be the highlight of a training session?
    No running for me today - just a 5k row @ season's best pace, not that that's saying much. My 5k times for running and rowing are spookily close. I've just dipped below my last 5k run pace so now I need to 'catch up' the next time I go for a run i.e. tomorrow. Technical point - the rower has a constant display of your 500m pace which I find surprisingly difficult to convert to 1k pace. I've never thought of my 500m pace when running.
    Mo Farrah has his second (and final?) chance to run the qualifying speed for the 10K Olympics this evening.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Looks like it may be the end of Mo's era.  He missed out on qualifying for the Olympics at a windy Manchester stadium tonight.  Hell of a journey - an athlete and entertainer who'll be remembered for his 'all out' approaches to training and racing.

On the lake, there are occasional spats amongst birds of the same species.  The black swans return regularly and seem well established.  John. I'd love to see storks.  There have been herons on the Marina for years.  Well cycled, sir!  Interesting to read of your rowing progress.

I took some 'before' photos of my 'smile' but I'm not making them public.  Before and after pics will help me adjust.

Hope the physio left you in one piece, Cal...

Hazel, there's a point in the rain/run process where the saturation can do no more: tops stick to bodies, shoes slowly fill...you get the picture.  Good work for toughing it out!

9pm last night, and mizzle wafting down from lowering grey cloud put paid to any sighting of the final super moon of the year.  Native Americans named it the Strawberry Moon, because harvesting begins in June.  The beach near an incoming tide had  good amount of 'give' because of the approaching water, calling for extra effort to keep a regular cadence.  Trails to The Serpentine N had acquired some 'give' from the rain and both here and the beach were pretty much my own, save some hardy walkers and their dogs.  1:01:14 - haven't plotted route yet.

• Swittle, I share your views about Mo. You clearly relish multi-terrain running. On our local beach the choice is between nice, flat tarmac or pebbles. No competition!

Talking of which it was gorgeous this morning and this enabled me to a 5k in 22:29 - my fastest for a few months, and meaning that I'll have to knock 15 seconds off my rowing time to keep up. This is getting silly....... 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I keep reporting those dick picks, Hazel, but eh... I guess the only sure fire way to make them go away is if we all mark them as spam. That guy needs banning, though.
    I think Mo was kidding himself that he could still throw down with the current crop of 10K runners, honestly. He was amazing in 2012 and 2016 but that was 5 years ago. I would actually like to see him turn his talents to ultras - black athletes are very underrepresented in that arena and he would definitely do well. But whether he wants to is another matter.

Physio's verdict was very very tight quads. He gave me some horrible exercises which I did in the gym on Friday and have had DOMS since! 
    I did a ploddy 4 mile recovery yesterday (which I actually enjoyed, but I ran between 11 and 12 rather than 12 and 13, like midweek) but today I was determined to get a half under my belt. I plotted out a route that included a few new bits and stuck to it, for the mostpart. One of the new trails I found was nice and I will use it again. 
    It was rather humid, though, even though there was a cooling breeze at times, so I was glad I took water.
    It became a bit of a slog after 8 miles but I toughed it out and got the 13 (and a bit) done, albeit at plodding donkey pace. Now I just have to work on getting my mile splits down by at least two minutes per mile...but I've got 8 weeks to improve. If the Harry Hawkes race had taken place when it was supposed to, I'd only have three weeks left, so it's definitely a good thing for me that it has been bumped to September.
  • Cal, I watched some of the Olympic trials yesterday. What a shame that the BBC isn't covering them. They've always done so in the past I thought. The men's 1500 was a great race - with 3 athletes from one Brighton club in it. Sadly none of them will feature in the Olympic team. Good to hear you've got a diagnosis of your injury. That sounds quite straightforward (in if not easy). 
    2 minute a mile to knock off  is quite an ask. Good luck with that. If you don't manage it then it won't be for the lack of trying.

A miserable 10K in 49.44 for me today. Silly to run a hard 10k the day after a hard 5k  especially with a strong wind. Knee isn't happy!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    John, I'm not too worried at the moment - I don't expect to do that well in my first half back, especially in summer. But it would be nice to get under 2 hours.
    Was that a race you did?
  • Hi all, hope you're all doing OK.

Bit of a negative week here really as my back continues to worsen.  The physio's stretches are making me worse.  The doctor has referred me for physio, but I think the NHS waiting list is very long, so may need to get my wallet out.  Doc thinks it's a trapped nerve and recommended no running.  

Not a chance of any running at all this week anyway, and not really sleeping well, waking seemingly once an hour all night.  Having to possibly have some time off work at a time when we are absolutely hammered with additional work is going to go down badly.  Bad timing but that's life I guess.

I was meant to be doing my SVN distance challenge next week, which is annoying as I've been keeping the weekly big runs going.  I'm marathon ready, not a fast one, but think I could have got round.

Tried to do a long swim in the sea yesterday, on a day out at Broadstairs, it hurt lots, got out, drank beer, got burnt.

Great 10k Jon B.  Our little town had it's annual 10k today,  I was hoping to do it.  Unbelievably people were moaning about being able to see the portaloos from their gardens, and the ring road being shut for an hour or so.  Miserable sods.

Hope your problem improves Cal.  I have dug out my weights and are doing doing some arm and shoulder stuff that isn't going to stress my back at all.  Maybe I can lose my runners arms and get beefier, probably not.  Good luck on the half.  Glad you have a diagnosis.

Swittle:  Good luck on your new gnashers!  Cool photo!  I have never seen a black swan, but someone must have lost a pet rabbit here at some point as we have a number of indigenous wild black rabbits in Staple.  Bettshanger is indeed in Kent (Deal) and an old colliery.  Time and nature have softened it into a fairly pleasant place for training and local distance events,  on an early morning I try and imagine I'm running in Kenya!  Brutal in the winter, but where isn't?  I saw oyster catchers the other day, pretty rare.  They were probing their way across a field rather than below the high water mark.

Sad about Mo!  Hope Callum Hawkins can medal in the marathon.  I worked out that due to the time distance it will start about 11pm UK time? have i got that right?  Will be unmissable, but will be a tiring Monday.

Great running Hazel.  Sorry you got soaked.  Today I weed and feed-ed the lawn (exciting day!) only for it to be pouring hard now.

Have a great week all, I guess I will be taking a (hopefully) little forum break now as I'm not going to push through this, hope it's nothing too long term.  Fingers crossed.

• Correction! a 7am Olympic marathon start on sunday, will be 11pm saturday start night, UK time.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Sorry about your back, Linton. I hope you can get some respite.
    Do you know the time of the ladies marathon? My clubmate's running so I'm going to have to stay up and watch that.
    Shame you didn't get to see the moon swittle.  I guess you don't run with a GPS watch then.  How do you do your route plotting?

Shame about Mo.  Had to be over at some point though.

A HM on DOMS sounds a bit nasty Cal. Nice to do some more route exploring. 2 minutes per mile does seem a lot but there should be a good difference between a ploddy run pace and a hard run HM pace anyway. 

5k + 10k hard in two days does sound tough JB.  Good times for both though. 

Not good news LTT - I would drop any ideas of that distance challenge if you have been recommended not to run.  Please let us know how you are doing every now and then.  That is ridiculous regarding people's complaints on the 10k side-effects. 

Feeling side-effects of the second Covid jab last Sunday went on for me for the rest of the week, general feeling of being a bit off-colour and almost always dead legs.  Friday's run came out as my longest last week at 10 miles (easy - steady) and I also did a gentle and flat 6 miles on Saturday - just with a few strides at the end to try to wake up my legs a bit.  Sunday saw a return to a hill race I have done every year since 2014 with the exception of last year.  I wasn't really expecting a great race and it is a tough course (nearly 900m of ascent in just under 12k) but I struggled all the way and couldn't even run the occasional flatter and down bits decently.  Never mind.  I did finish it at least though I didn't have much choice really as OH had driven the car up to the top to go paragliding from a nearby launch site and someone needed to get it back down again.  I could take a couple of positives out of it though - we were able to start in small start blocks again for the first time in months which made it feel a lot more like a race and I much enjoyed the social sit down afterwards with a group of people I know. 
  • Hi Cal, list is here.

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/en/schedule/athletics-schedule

Sat 7th August 7am woman's marathon. (11pm Friday for us).  Is it all on BBC? Hope so.

Hope you're felling better Hazel, I had Pfizer jab and felt a bit rubbish too.

• john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Linton, that is a real bummer for you. There comes a time when you just have to take a bit of a break. When I had a dodgy back, folk used to advise me to swim, but it made it worse. Even the sun has got it in for you! Hang on in there and (literally) take it easy.

Hazel, well done to take take the positives from that race. 900 metres of ascent is not great when your legs are like lead.

Cal, that 10k was just a solo run, not a race. I've not run competitively since early last year and am missing it. Funnily enough I'm just checking out an event (a reasonably local 5k/10k) that's being run on Sunday. I've written to confirm if

a) they will take entries on the day (they say they will but with Covid protocols you never know)
    b) there's a prize for my category. Looking at previous years there's no chance in the 10k but a good chance in the 5k. You might guess which one I'll opt for! Seriously my 10k is woeful c/w my 5k. 
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    It's always an uncertain time when nursing or managing an injury - always the temptation to 'do a bit', rather than 'rest a bit.'  I hope Cal, John and Linton TT are soon on the path to recovery.

Birdwatching per se is akin to fishing, I think, in that some, at least, of its value is the calm, peace & quiet that goes with it.  

Hazel, I'm too old skool to both even with a smart phone: I really don't want any device claiming to be smarter than me!  The route plotter on Fetch, along with Google Maps when I need greater detail, suffices.  Oh, and when GPS sends the Jones Counter system into retirement for course measuring, maybe I'll reconsider!  :-)

Talk in UK of a booster covid jab in the autumn.  This whole pandemic is like a fire deep down in a peat moor: a flame can spring up at any time.

Missed two cracking footie games last night while out running.  France being 'sent home' by the Swiis is a major upset!  Other TV viewing for me is Le Tour.  My Dad & I used to watch almost religiously in the last century, when coverage started; we were equally keen on American Football.  Some horrific crashes in the first few days: flying off a bike going at 30mph+ and hard landing does not appeal to me at all.  What a way to earn a living!

Last night, ran for 70 minutes for the first time in a month or so.  As I pegged up the trail past the leisure centre, the sun was a giant orange orb, desperately fighting the earth's rotation before the horizon spirited it away.  The light soon fell away and I'd to zig-zag along the beach to locate a firm crossing point.  Just after 11pm, I met a chap I often see with his Border Collie, a friendly dog, constantly on the alert.  The owner told me that collies have three layers of coat, the reason why they never really get wet through!

I've sat over OS maps in the distant past with a piece of string swittle, though not for running recording purposes.  I think that Jones Counter system won't be drawing a pension yet. Moans about GPS watches recording long / short on race courses do make me smile.  I haven't looked at the route plotter on Fetch (yet).

I could clearly hear the Swiss success last night.  Can imagine there were a few hangovers this morning and people late at work - the game didn't finish until around midnight here.

I watched the first couple of TdF stages - those falls were pretty horrific and I hope the stupid woman who caused the one will be found. 

Well done on your 70 mins! 

Race sounds like a good idea if you can get into it JB.  

4 and a bit miles yesterday in my lunch break.  Severe thunderstorms were forecasted for mid-afternoon so I thought it would be prudent to get out beforehand.  I didn't feel at all as though I had run a hard hill race the day before.  The storm later was pretty impressive - we missed the worst of the hail fortunately but had severe gusts and very heavy rain.  There is a decent sized tent standing in a garden not too far away - seems whoever put it up knew what they were doing as it is still standing and in one piece.

• Hazel. astonishing weather you seem to be getting right now. Perhaps not as bad as NW USA, though. what have we done to our planet? I noticed that the Swiss team had a couple of players of Albanian descent. Is there a big Albanian community there?

Swittle, you do enjoy and make the most of your environment. for me, the environment is just something to run through and I never really notice it much. This is probably because I run the same course so often! I usually really get into the Tour de France but the football (+ cricket) is swallowing up so much of my time that I've not really done so this year - yet. Those cyclists are unbelievable. Not just super fit (Vo2 figures through the roof) but brave and incredibly skilled too. 

A 5k for me. I'm on a little bit of a roll and the conditions were perfect so I thought I could shave a bit off my time on Saturday. And I did! 0.4 of a second to be precise. I mean, that's just ridiculous.