Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    5 recovery miles in 46 minutes yesterday afternoon.  Routine sort of run - I managed to keep effort / pace sensible.  More drizzle but a refreshing breeze with it. A big skip next to the route is getting so full of water you can almost bathe in it. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Snap...sort of...although I went to slowly mine took me an hour. Saw a green woodpecker in flight, a heron and several foxes. Enjoyed it more than last week's recovery run.
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Hazel, your Mara PB is a minute faster than mine.  The big difference is that mine is in no danger whatever of being threatened!  

Oddly, I saw three large skips stacked together on the prom during last night's run.  The council uses the country rangers' Land Rovers to collect bags of rubbish from the bins along the prom & in the country park.

A fig of 8 route, starting at 9.30pm  Cloudy, close but a fall in temperature while I ran.  Lakes, docks, up the beach and turn at the leisure centre;  Tide a long way out, so down the beach as far as the ridged sand, then over to the prom and trails across the coastal park & back to the start.  An hour, give or take.
  • Options
    Swittle and Hazel, both of your marathon PBs are about an hour better than mine! Re G'dog, I know the secretary of his running club and see him every now and then. Next time I do so I could ask about GD - if only I knew his actual name!

Cal and Swittle, for obvious reasons my memories of Camberwell c.1974 are rather blurred. I do recall walking a hangover off (well trying to) in that park near Crystal Palace that has dinosaurs in it, It was so long ago that I thin they were actual dinosaurs! Re Cal's mention of Strava, I don't 'do' Strava but I get the idea and I can see how beating others over a specific 'course' would add to motivation. 

Hazel, if you can't beat your marathon PB there's always the chance you might beat it on age-grade (WAVA)? 

Absolutely bog-standard 5k for me today - 22.42. The only interesting thing that happened was that my cap blew off! Mrs JB does her 3.3k course in pretty much the same time as I take to do 5k and she did her 2d best time of the year. Just like those Olympians she's aiming to peak on Saturday 24th, when Parkrun resumes.

Talking of which, as I occasionally volunteer at PR, I had their briefing notes on Covid through today. Goodness me, tis is a very long document. It hasn't quite sunk in yet, but looking through it quickly convinced me that they are taking the whole matter very seriously indeed - and will need more marshalls than ever,

• Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Which mara did you run then swittle?  Good memories?  We like a nice story.. :p Just read something about a heatwave for the UK (England) so your late runs will likely be a good idea.

Don't know GD's real name I'm afraid JB.  I think Cal has mentioned the dinosaurs in the park in the past.  I do 'do' strava - and the odd bit of segment hunting, especially if someone nicks one of my own then I have to try and get it back at some point.  Not to excess though.  A specific wava score for a marathon might indeed be a good goal as well - I think my best was 68.x so a 70 would be good.   Giggle to the cap blowing off - that must have cost you a second or two.  Will be good to see parkrun resuming.

I planned to do a 10 miler yesterday but that turned into a 7 miler in 1:01 instead as I didn't get out early enough and had a hungry OH at home (good excuse I guess).  I waited long enough for the rain to stop pouring and reduce to a drizzle before setting off for a loop of the local woods with plenty of undulations, some root sections and a bit of mud.  The drizzle did get stronger on occasion but I wasn't that bothered as was working well and was warm enough.  Had one amusing moment - I glanced at my watch having got over the top of the worst hill and was promptly treated to a thorough face wash as I ran into a low hanging beech twig.  Quite refreshing.  Glasses stayed on though fortunately.
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    John, The Father Redcap pub on Camberwell Green was one of a few gay venues in London in the early 70s.  I finally paid a visit in '75 and wouldn't have known any difference.  There was an Indian restaurant at a large road junction where I often enhanced my waistline!

The quandary of chasing back after a flying cap when on for a decent time?  It'd be the cap for me!

Trepidation on Fetch about whether volunteers will return to form parkrun teams.

Hazel - my 1st Mara was Leeds in 1988 - and I hope I'm not immodest by adding a finishing pic outside the Town Hall.  The sweatbands had served me well in my training but it's all a bit 'Kids from Fame', isn't it?  :smiley:  What one learns from one's first 26.2 is that it's not like training; that it's mostly uncomfortable; and that it'll *never* be repeated.  My training pal & I ran together until the 20 mark, then I went solo after his tum started playing up.  The final 3-4 miles past 'Yorkshire TV' on Kirkstall Rd were rather a blur, and I thought I was hallucinating at times but the final pull to the finish was shortly followed by strong emotions and a few tears under my space blanket. 

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    John - that is Crystal Palace park. I run up there sometimes - have done the parkrun twice but also go there on long runs when I am in a mood for hills. The park is hilly but there are some absolute monsters (and I don't mean the dinosaurs) in the vicinity - 15 to 20 percenters.

swittle, fanstatic! Well that wasn't unusual running gear back then. 

Hazel, wish it was raining here. It's going to be 31 degrees tomorrow. Rather glad the half marathon I was supposed to be doing got pushed back to September. 

XT day yesterday (45 mins elliptical plus some rehab). Wanted to run but woke up too late to get out before the traffic and heat (needed it to be quiet for my 5K tempo).
    Went out early doors today instead but it did not go well. My Garmin refused to pick up a signal so I started anyway as it's supposed to be able to find one on the move (it has done in the past, no problem). Did a slow 2 mile jog to warm up but decided to stop and restart my watch to ensure I had proper GPS. Then did my run. Came in over 28 minutes so slower than last week and it felt like I was working harder - not surprising though as it was warmer and muggy.
    When I got back and uploaded my runs, the 2 miler had no map at all - GPS had failed, and while the 5K had GPS the route was all over the place. So not ideal. Not sure if I ran 5K or not, but eh, it is what it is. I'm blaming updates - got one yesterday and another after I got back so perhaps that was the problem. I'm going to have a short walk later to check it's working again.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Great swittle - thanks!  Love the pic - clothing and shoes certainly were less high-tec in the past.

Oh yes - an HM in that heat would not have been fun Cal.  I was toying with the idea of an ultra which was postponed from the spring but the risk of heat mid-August is too high.  Annoying with the GPS I hope it is sorted soon. I think I read about other users with problems.  You did 28 mins of hard running which is a good thing - maybe it was even a bit longer than 5k?   Warm and muggy isn't helpful for tempo work for sure.

10 miles yesterday in 1:26 - unusually over my lunch break.  I needed to get some shopping done so combined that with a run.  Raining when I set off but by the time I was ready to run the sun came out.  I was lucky it went back in again fairly soon and was treated to a gentle shower as it would have been pretty uncomfortable otherwise.  Fairly standard sort of run otherwise - bit quick on the return leg (hungry and needed to get back to do some work).

Muggy it was here too this morning.  Pre-breakfast 4 miler at recovery pace - bit slower to set off and a bit quicker later (also dependent on the undulations).  Felt comfy but my face was streaming with sweat when running with a tailwind - I was very glad to turn around to dry off a bit.  Will take a few days for the ground to dry out a bit - hopefully no more rain for a few and a decent breeze will help.  
  • Options
    Swittle, you look pretty damn good for someone that's just run that distance in that time. Yes, I retrieved the cap - and have now tightened it.

Cal, frustrating that your technology played up. I have very low expectations and am not one for exploring functionality. I know some Parkruns run the occasional 'naked' events - i.e without Garmin and possibly even watches. I don't think that would bother me too much as I'm a reasonably good 'natural' pacer. (I'd be happy to be a bad one but quicker!)

Hazel, I'm assuming that the freakish weather that they are getting in Germany and Belgium hasn't got to you. The heat has ramped up here and even at 08.00 with a sea breeze it was a bit uncomfortable. (An ultra in August would be almost dangerous?) So I eschewed my usual 5k 'blast' and ran at chat pace of 5 minutes kms.

Had a visit from my son and family including the new (rescue) puppy who behaved immaculately...until she was sick in the car. Another one suffering a bit in the heat.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Oh bless, John...what breed (if any!) is she? 
    Hazel, that's my 10 mile race pace, more or less!

It's going to hit 30 today in London, so I was out just after 5am (it was already 18 then which is warmer than I like, but as it was an easy run I can deal). Took my hydration vest, which I normally wouldn't for a run of that length and was glad of it, though I forgot to squeeze the air out of it and had to put up with it sloshing the whole way (I got used to that after a while, but then I'd pass someone and get stares :lol )
    With my race on Wednesday (god help me, it's going to be hot then too) I decided to stick to 12 miles and did my Clapham Common > Battersea Park > river > Wandle > Tooting route, though with a couple of small variations. I took a more scenic route through Battersea Park rather than the main carriageway I usually use, and was rewarded by seeing a lovely big heron. He wasn't in the least bit scared of me and I was within touching distance of him as I ran past.
    The river is always nice and flowers smelled particularly good today. One section had loads of poppies just growing out of cracks and walls.
    Once I came off at the Wandle, I managed to find the correct route through Wandsworth to the next bit in King George's Park, including a small stretch of Wandle hidden behind some shops.
    I didn't push the pace on this one so averaged around 10:40ish, but even so HR was higher again due to the weather. Lost a couple of pounds, too, so made sure to have SiS hydration tab as soon as I got in (I had one before going out, too)

Good luck anyone running or racing today - stay safe and hydrated.
  • Options
    Cal, a race on Wednesday? And presumably an evening one. Could be a real challenge. Sensible to get out early - if only for wildlife spotting. The puppy is from Greece - there's a local charity here that rescues them. Se is a Greek breed but not I think 'recognised'. She's a bit like a long haired Jack Russell but with a long curly tail.
    And white with black patches.

I cycled to our prom for an 8.15 run by which time it was already pretty warm.  I started a bit fast but decided to try to sustain the pace just about ran an even split managing 22.08, my best for a few months. I've been totally shattered ever since. Not sensible really!
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    We have had a lot of rain JB and some record breaking flooding but nothing like the devastation in other places.  Good of your family to take on a rescue dog - hope it works out ok.  Mongrels are pretty robust and terriers normally anyway.  Good run in the heat and certainly sensible to get it done with early.

Even earlier for you Cal - wish I could do that.  Good point on the hydration. 

Long run for me yesterday - 16.95 miles (whoops - didn't sort out the conversion from km to miles it seems - sure I could have fitted in another 0.05 miles in somewhere).  I started at 8:30 but could have done with being out an hour earlier.  It was warm and sunny but with a brisk breeze to help dry the sweat and the odd cloud to cool things down every now and then.  I ran one of my standard routes with access to water en route but also carried a small bottle in my waist belt which I was glad of.  Nonetheless I didn't drink enough early on and suffered a bit later as I had to drink too much in one go.  One gel and half a marzipan stick in dark choc for fuelling. 

Out at 7:30 this morning for a short recovery - 5k.  Tried out a pair of new shoes - Mizuno Wave Rider 24.  Felt a bit clunky but just need running in I think.  Glad of a leg loosener prior to sitting at my desk. 
  • Options
    Hazel, great run....but marzipan/chocolate combo is something I'd avoid. Great for calories though. Interesting that you mention the breeze. So welcome in this sort of heat. In South Australia the wind that comes in from the sea to Perth is called the 'Freemantle Doctor' and you can see why.

Rest day for me other than a gentle bike ride to a cafe were my mates 'put away' cooked breakfasts while I just watched. Just too hot for that sort of thing.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    JB the marzipan / choc goes down better than a gel for me - I guess it takes longer for the sugar to hit in.  I picked one up one day when I couldn't find a gel and wanted to take something with me.   I need to practice enough with gels though as I will take some with me in a mara.   Cooked breakfast on occasion - hmmm!  But I agree with not in hot temperatures.  Would rather go for a large portion of Bircher muesli.  Soak a good muesli in milk / yoghurt overnight, add chopped fruit - grated apple is great as well, more milk, yoghurt or even single cream to get a nice wet consistency and enjoy.  I can eat that at any time of day.

Toughie today - we don't have your heat but it is warm enough that I don't want to run in the afternoons / evenings so out this morning instead.  Bit more than 2.5 miles warm up finishing with 4 x strides, then 4 miles @LT and another 2 miles cool-down.  Seems I got yesterday's recovery strategy right - short recovery and a stretch followed by not very much at all as I felt well recovered from Sunday's long run and my legs felt quite sprightly this morning.  Maybe it was also my old "fast" shoes - I really can't run slowly in these.  My stomach was less happy about the LT bit - I hadn't left enough time for my morning tea to move sufficiently southwards it seems and had some uncomfy sloshing around which affected my breathing.  Okay I also set off too fast as well.  The planned 5 miles were 4 but the legs could have done more which is a good sign.  Walked the last quarter of a mile or so and stopped for a brief chat with a lady watering her garden - lots of veggies and a row of mixed flowers - poppies and whatnots.  Don't know what she thought about the very sweaty clothing and the red face but she was friendly anyway.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice John - you'll have to post a photo if you get the chance.
    Hazel, I have "fast" shoes too - if I want an easy run I have to wear my Epics. 

Horrible weather yesterday - it was even worse than Sunday in my flat. Felt I could hardly breathe. I had to spend the evening watching TV as I was reluctant to risk gaming on my PC in 29 degrees. Ended up going to bed at 9pm as a result.
    Of course that meant I woke up before 4, so for my run out a couple of minutes before 5. Sad to see a dead fox in the road near my house...looked like a young one. I've reported it to the council as it'll get ripe pretty quickly in this weather.
    Ran up to Clapham Common via some back streets, across there, down some other roads I wanted to explore then on to Wandsworth Common and back via Tooting Common. Saw herons on Clapham Common and Tooting Common. Back home and showered by 6.30am. 
    Not really looking forward to my race tomorrow, it's going to be roasting hot and it's not that easy to get to (it starts by Wimbledon windmill which is a couple of miles from the nearest station)...hoping someone will give me a lift, especially on the way home. 
    I also have to see the cardiologist tomorrow. I really don't think there's anything wrong but since I have the appointment, I might as well get checked out. Not sure they'd approve of me doing a race in hot conditions but I'm just going to get around, I think.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Oh yes - cute puppy pic would be nice JB.

Good luck for both this morning and this evening Cal - hope you get that lift sorted. 

Around 4 miles recovery this morning.  My watch went a bit mad in the woods with some massive pace variations.  Overall time and pace look ok though.  I took a deviation off of my standard route.  Of course the nice broad track ended up in a dead-end  in a tangle of dead branches.  The narrow mtb trail I found after a bit of backtracking got me back on course though and provided a bit of light entertainment dancing over some prominent roots.  Cool and slightly breezy - will warm up later though.
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    The hot sun has filled the beach and there were dozens about, even at 10.30 last night.  Although it was q. oppressive, it didn't affect my breathing as much as, say, a month ago - acclimatisation, I suppose.  1 hr and 1 minute, firm sand for 2 miles before veering to trails to the car park - rammed - on Burbo Bank.  Along a deserted beach, a bright waxing gibbous moon [4 days from full] cast a broad, milky channel of light over the gently lapping sea, silhouetting Birkenhead.  While warming down, I was barked and howled at by a white and gold husky.
  • Options
    Swittle, that was a very evocative passage of writing. You almost managed to make Birkenhead sound alluring!

Hazel, a couple of 'interesting' runs. Should we lobby for the new sport of dancing over tree roots to be recognised by the Olympics? (Talking of which I found myself watching the GB v Chile women's football this morning.)

Cal, looking forward to your race report and good news from the cardiologist.

Agree that the daytime (and night time come to that) heat is oppressive). I tried a short sharp run yesterday (a mere 0.85k) up my local hill in the quest for a PB. Managed by 5 seconds but as this was around 11.00 it was hard work. Achilles not happy either.

PS sorry no puppy photo. Operator incompetence. 

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Cardiologist didn't seem overly concerned but I have to wait for the ECG analysis. Still, not too worried.

As for the race, Christ that was tough. It was very warm when we started but didn't seem too bad at first. First mile went OK but second mile has some technical climbs and descents (the Alps and Rifle Butts) which I took slowly...knee didn't like the Alps at all. Picked up a little speed on mile three but then we ran alongside the brook and the humidity there was crazy. When it came to the Toast Rack (a narrow, slightly uphill gravel path between two wire fences in the middle of the golf course) I knew I was labouring and decided to run/walk it. I usually manage to speed up on the final mile but I had nothing left so jogged it in. Garmin said my average HR was 180 (!!!) and max was 191 - don't think the cardiologist would have approved.  :D Time was 52 minutes...best time in 2019 was 44 so, yeah, rather slower than that. But I got a nice mug and it was really nice to see my clubmates. Carla (Molinaro) was first woman...would have been surprised if she wasn't!
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Thank you, John.  There's as much to see, feel and hear after dark as there is during the day.  Writing has always occupied me more than reading - once, it was event reports that dominated.  Now that running is my self care prescription, there's more time to reflect on each day and its activities.

When routes deceive, Hazel!  Somehow, nature wins when a u-turn is forced on us!  Footballers step quickly along a 'track' of batons to improve strength and speed of muscle operation - but tree roots fail to help runners out because of their irregular appearance!

It's no more racing weather than running weather, Cal, and a 'get back safely' call was the right one.  Some illustrative names for features along the course!

BBC weather shows 25 deg C at 9 tonight  :-o  A 6mph N breeze isn't going to help hugely... Still, onwards, ever onwards!
  • Options
    Marathon runners!

Please could you take 5 minutes to complete my this anonymous survey that I am conducting as part of my MSc Degree!

https://lincoln.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/the-relationship-between-strength-training-and-injury-in-m-2

Thanks so much!
  • Options
    Swittle, I know what you mean about writing as therapy. I used to do a bit. My writing was a bit like my running: very short pieces, written very quickly and with the sole intention of seeing my name in print!

Cal, that sounds bloody awful! What was the name of the event please? Well done for hanging on in there and finishing - but that HR sounds a bit scary. (Not that I've ever measured mine.) Rest and recuperate?

No run for me yesterday, today or tomorrow. Partly to give the Achilles a rest and partly to keep fresh for the resumption of Parkrun. So I've been beasting myself on the rower - mostly nasty little 30 seconds intervals. Horrible!

Looking forward to many of the Olympic events - especially the mixed triathlon.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Wimbledon Trail Series. There are three races a year, usually May, June and July - first two are 5 miles and the last one is 8. Due to Covid, they're a lot closer together - the next is in two weeks. I'm in for that one too.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Slept better last night. Hip was clunky this morning but given my sacral/pelvic area was giving me gip yesterday, that was an improvement. I did a 5 mile recovery run around Tooting Common, nice and easy, and the hip seemed to improve, along with my energy levels. Air seemed fresher this morning so it was a lot more pleasant. 
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Rowing intervals :-o  Sounds like a supreme sweating session!

Left it until 10pm tonight before setting off alongside the smaller lake, where roosting was under way.  By the Marina, happy, weary families were trudging back to their cars, maybe pinker but more relaxed too after a day in the unbroken sun.  A bright, Cheddar yellow moon had drawn the sea to within 70 yards of the prom, and the going was less predictable over soft sand and, later, beach lately waterlogged.  Closer to the leisure centre, pockets of revellers gathered around small fires, showing no sign of departing, in spite of nightfall.  Once clear, it was as if they'd never been there: seeking out strips of wiry grass to improve grip, I zig-zagged down the coastal park to the haven of Beach Lawn and a warm down.  1:00:43
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Funny, I was up in the middle of the night and looked at the moon and thought I bet swittle would have a good way of describing it.  I must have a go at a late run again - I like the way you can feel the world settling down for the night. You are doing consistent running.

My root dancing probably looks pretty unimpressive JB but I have a habit of falling over the nasty things.  Take care of that achilles.  Good thing you have the rower for distraction.  Good luck with parkrun tomorrow.  I must make a note of what I might want to look at for the olympics - it is worth looking at some of the sports you might not always bother with.

Well done on your race Cal.  You will hopefully have better conditions in a couple of weeks for the next one.  Nice recovery this morning.

10m for me yesterday evening in a bit over 1.5 hours.  I wanted to get up early again and go pre-work but didn't get out of the duvet in time and also missed a post-breakfast opportunity.  Mid-morning to evening were too warm for my tastes.  Still rather much so on setting out so I stuck to a route with plenty of shade.  Plenty of undulations as well though but I managed to keep the effort level sensible other than a couple of steeper bits which needed a bit of puff-puff.  Saw one deer and one hare.  Few people around, I guess that the school hols, the fine weather and dropping water levels have drawn many back to the rivers and lakes. 
  • Options
    Swittle, you will soon be known as the Bard of Bootle! (Sorry, couldn't resist.) You really are a dusk runner - is that because of the heat or the dislike of crowds. These are not mutually exclusive.

Cal, thanks for the race info. Glad that the aches and pains are on the mend. (until the next time!)

Hazel, your run report sound increasingly like nature notes! You are really lucky having that landscape to run in. Even better if you'd have written that you beat the hare in a sprint finish and lapped the deer!

We took the grandkids to Bognor where there's a lovely park which coincidentally hosts a parkrun which I've done many times. Its a pretty little course but very twisty and with narrow paths which make overtaking something of a challenge. Consequently it's a slow course. However, they once (and just the once in about 8 years) had to switch it to a nearby playing field - an ugly but gloriously flat expanse of ground.
    I was lucky enough to be one of the few running it that week and my time was good enough to earn me a (totally unjustified) top five place in the all time best times for my age cat. at the time. Naturally I was more than happy to take this.........shallow devil that I am.
  • Options
    Update: back to Parkrun.

Great to see it return even on  a grey and windy morning. 400 in attendance including some familiar and friendly faces. No big differences in organisation c/w pre-Covid, just a few little tweaks eg more folk scanning bar codes.

Very pleased with my run: 22.03 giving me a category win (65-69) and a WAVA of 76.80% - the 7th best in the field.

Just so nice to see Parkrun back again and feel the positive vibes of the runners - and of course the wonderful volunteers.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Fantastic work, John. I'm nowhere near that standard yet.

I am so happy parkrun is back. I went to Bushy as my clubmate was doing his 250th - a few of us where there to support/accompany him so it was fun. It was my second visit to Bushy and it really is a lovely park, and while there are very large numbers here, the single lap route and wide paths meant there was room for everyone. 
    I started with a mile warm-up around the lake and managed to inhale one of those nasty little flies which meant that I spent the next 10 minutes coughing. Not really what you want during a pandemic.
    The start of Bushy always reminds me of Charge of the Light Brigade and I tried not to get too swept up in in. First mile was 8:35 and then I went through the next two in 8:40 each. There was a guy alongside me who was breathing hard and every time I tried to go ahead, he pushed himself a bit more. Once we got to the last .11 (I am die-hard imperial, sorry) I felt I had enough to push a bit and got clear of him. My pace for that bit was around 8 - almost back to my old 5K pace. 
    HR was high for the run but I wasn't pushing myself to the point that my breathing sounded like someone sawing logs. Finishing time was 26:56 - I'd given myself a target of 27 so happy enough with that. Still two minutes off my best, but I'm getting closer and I didn't fade on the last mile as I have done with recent tempos.
    One thing about Bushy - it's such a large parkrun they had over 70 volunteers! Amazing. I've been to small parkruns with half that number of runners.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Great return to parkrun for both of you and nice to see so many people turn out after so long a break (runners and volunteers).

Congratulations on the AG win and an excellent wava JB.  

250 prs is quite a collection Cal.  Glad you managed to stop the cough before the run itself - would have been nasty.  Good result for you too - seems you judged it nicely to hit your target like that.  And of course "ladies first" in your duel.  

Found it hard to get out yesterday as it was very warm and humid and swapped my intended runs for yesterday and today around.  So 4m recovery yesterday evening and 7.5m this morning.  I have a long run with some MP planned for tomorrow so today's run was about not expending too much energy.  Rather than just ambling around I decided to occupy legs and mind with a pace check - doing a couple of miles at each of the easy end of my paces to make sure I know what they feel like.  Went pretty well.  Humidity was pretty high and being added to be a constant drizzle - the latter refreshing though.