My Last Run

Comments

• Yep - agree about challenging and competing against oneself.   I also have a number of people I race against regularly in my age group and keep an eye on how they progress over time in comparison to myself. 

Good for you to have a target to work towards - you have a good chance of getting those 13 seconds off and more beside I would say.  Nice progression run!

4 mile leg loosener recovery yesterday evening in good conditions - breeze, around 20 degrees and was able to breathe again and not sweat buckets.  The legs are recovering well from the last few days - the left one feels good, the weaker right one needs a bit longer to get rid of the downhill DOMS.  Mostly easy days coming up this week so should work out ok prior to an HM on Saturday (MP race practice rather than an all-out HM race effort). 
  • Swittle, thanks for the two links. I was amazed to read about the New Brighton tower, I only visited NB once and TBH it looked so forlorn that I only stayed for about 30 minutes. There are few places more grim than a fading seaside resort. As for Blackpool I guess the Stags and Hens trade has filled the gap left by the Scots and kept the place afloat.

Dangerous, looks like you have a busy schedule coming up! Great to see improvements and at that rate of progress a sub 50 10k is well within reach. Much depends on the course and I can tell you (from distant memory!) that the Newport 10K is very flat and fast. I remember it quite well because I was shadowing a runner who systematically cut every corner. It was so annoying I felt like asking him at the finish if this was his PB.....for a 9k. 

Hazel, as for 'keeping an eye' on rivals I plead guilty too. Indeed I almost stalk them!
    My age cat is of course not overfull (for obvious reasons!) so it's quite easy to locate the guys that run at around my level. I am also such a sad specimen that I actually look around the line up at the beginning of a race to see who looks around my age! Mrs JB thinks this is quite worrying.

I'm 'puppy-sitting' thus evening so I'll try to avoid Swittle's fate!
  • Yep - agree about challenging and competing against oneself.   I also have a number of people I race against regularly in my age group and keep an eye on how they progress over time in comparison to myself. 
    We have a local club but spread of times is all over the place so no one to really compete against. My opposite neighbor is probably a little ahead of me though so he's in my sights haha
    Dangerous, looks like you have a busy schedule coming up! Great to see improvements and at that rate of progress a sub 50 10k is well within reach. Much depends on the course and I can tell you (from distant memory!) that the Newport 10K is very flat and fast. I remember it quite well because I was shadowing a runner who systematically cut every corner. It was so annoying I felt like asking him at the finish if this was his PB.....for a 9k. 
    Well with that he's only cheating himself tbh and what's the point in that. I've turned down PBs based on it being more downhill as part of longer runs for that reason. I live in Newport, well outskirts thankfully, and yeah the course is very flat, as is the Bristol one to be fair so no excuses on those.

Have a 5k in Cardiff next weekend so planning to use that as a meter and run negative splits from 5k/m as a practice, done go off to hard and burn out session. 

30min yesterday was and easy/recovery run and man I struggled, legs where still lifeless, weak and lacked energy...

Puppy sitting, I'd be all over that. Love dogs. I've been told I'm allowed one but I need to wait until end of year, re-mortgage, boy starts school, usual life gets in the way stuff blah blah. He'll be my running buddy...
  • Dangerous, so you are from Newport - so you'll know the course well. My folks used to live in Cwm, just outside Ebbw Vale. I got quite fond of the valleys over the years, although in many ways those communities had it very tough - e.g closure of the mines, and then the steelworks in EV. We lived for a few years near Carmarthen  and both my boys were born there, so many good memories (not including the weather!).
  • dangeroushamsterdangeroushamster ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Dangerous, so you are from Newport - so you'll know the course well. My folks used to live in Cwm, just outside Ebbw Vale. I got quite fond of the valleys over the years, although in many ways those communities had it very tough - e.g closure of the mines, and then the steelworks in EV. We lived for a few years near Carmarthen  and both my boys were born there, so many good memories (not including the weather!).
     :D I am from Ebbw, Beaufort born & bread. Parents live on the festival site now which is just up from where the steelworks used to be...

In fact my Auntie and Uncle live in Cwm just down the hill from the festival site ! Small world...
  • Good luck with your races, DH...I was closing in on 50 mins at the start of 2020 but it's all gone horribly pearshaped since then. My last was over 55.

John/Hazel...I always keep an eye on people in my AG too. Unfortunately there's a much faster V50 lady in my club but she's a year younger so I'll get a whole year to myself once I go to V55 next June.  :lol:

I took an extra day yesterday (did elliptical and rehab instead) to recover from the 20 miler so the 10 miler I did this morning wasn't too bad. Stride length is dreadful but legs didn't actually hurt or feel heavy. Quite enjoyed the run, even though I feel rather dismayed by my current pace. I think I'll be hard pressed to manage a sub-2 on Sunday.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    John: New Brighton enjoyed something of a renaissance in the past 15 years or so - and more improvements are planned in the next 15.  I see the Marine Point Complex regularly from Waterloo beach.
    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/big-step-forward-plan-transform-18751521

The frustration seeing another runner 'take advantage' of a course's route faded many years ago but when I ran in events, I used to dislike other 'drafting'.  I'd never trouble the scorers: mid-pack all the way, but such actions rather went against the Corinthian spirit.

9pm start last night, a WNW 23mph wind drove me to trails part way along Burbo Bank, and then I collected the dividend of 2 miles with it lifting my pace as far as the end of the prom.  Skirting docks & Marina, the last mile was a good deal 'steadier' against the wind again.  71 min.
  • john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Cal, sounds like you've put in quite a bit of heavy training of late. Are you going to have a taper before Sunday? Isn't it great when you go up an age category! Runners must be the only people in the world who look forward to getting older. (That's why I was particularly choked when Covid took away my first year as a V65 when I was looking to escape from all those pesky youngsters - and speedsters - of 60!) 

Dangerous, well, blow me, that is a coincidence. My folks lived there from about 1981-2012 so yes, I remember the Garden Festival well and how it breathed a bit of hope and optimism into the area while it lasted. I also remember watching county cricket at EV - and rugby of course. I did the Cardiff 10k when they were just about to open the Principality Stadium as it was then, I think. They let us finish in the stadium and - wait for it - Rupert Moon gave out the medals. I also saw the opening game of the RWC, Wales v. Argentina. But I never took my life in my hands to go along to support England in the 5 Nations, as it was then.

Sorry - got stuck in a deep seam of nostalgia from which I have now emerged, blinking into the daylight. 

Spent 5 hours in puppy heaven last night looking after her. Bliss for me, though not sure if it was reciprocal!

Might find a steep(ish) hill to run up today.............
  • Dangerous, well, blow me, that is a coincidence. My folks lived there from about 1981-2012 so yes, I remember the Garden Festival well and how it breathed a bit of hope and optimism into the area while it lasted. I also remember watching county cricket at EV - and rugby of course. I did the Cardiff 10k when they were just about to open the Principality Stadium as it was then, I think. They let us finish in the stadium and - wait for it - Rupert Moon gave out the medals. I also saw the opening game of the RWC, Wales v. Argentina. But I never took my life in my hands to go along to support England in the 5 Nations, as it was then.
    I went to the festival as a kid, some of the sites remnants are still lying around. Various steps, paths and the lake which is a decent carp lake is still all there. Sadly Covid has finally seen off the shopping center and everything is now closed...  Watch Ebbw @ExP frequently, I do not visit Rodney parade would be like a Utd supporter going to Anfield to watch Liverpool 

I still have my ticket from Wales v England 6 nations game from 2019 - I'll leave that there  :)

Good luck with that hill, hate doing them but feel great after them...

Rest day for me I think, legs aching from yesterdays speed repeats but still managed a 52m 10k in that which is good for me
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Nice to see you again, swittle, and lovely to read your run reports. I think it's going to be a case of breaking out the head torch here in the next couple of weeks or so for the Tuesday club runs.

Fantastic on the WAVA rating, john, well done it is a fantastic effort and one I can only dream of. Hopefully the puppy sitting went well.

I got tired just reading about your 20 mile run, Cal, a great effort. Likewise I'm wondering where my pace has gone over the last few months.

Hopefully you'll beat your target, hamster. Likewise my aim is to do sub 50 (having gone annoyingly 50:00:02 at Hyde Park a couple of years ago. I'm convinced I could have done it last year if there'd been any events to run in. Sadly I'm nowhere near fast enough at the moment. Sounds like your training is going well, though.

Good luck for the HM this weekend, Hazelnut. Is it a big race?

Three runs to report on. Saturday was PR at Hove Park, our 4th one back and there are more people turning up now. Made the schollboy error of starting off towards the back and so 'traffic' in front meant the first 400m was a very gentle job. One of my fellow club members who has improved greatly over the last year set off with more purpose and ensured they carved a path through as I meandered quite a way behind. I did see another club member on the second lap about 30m ahead and figured that as long as that didn't increase on the last lap I might have a chance of getting him on the sprint. Pleased to see the gap hadn't grown on the last lap and on the hill seemed to be coming down. However once he was on the downhill slope he pushed on and The gap was too great to close any further. 25 min dead, which with how I was feeling a few weeks back is pleasing, but nowhere near where I was last year. This was followed by a session in the garden. We had new turf put down a couple of months ago and the wet weather had really helped, however it also mean I hadn't been able to 

Sunday was a case of getting my partners confidence back after her running issues. We did Adur along to Botolphs and back, 6.5 miles. Grey conditions with a bit of wind as well, we even had a few spots of rain at one point. She was very pleased to have completed it, amazing how much of a boost it is when a run goes well. We now need to start upping the mileage for the Brighton Half in October. I think the plan is to just bimble around and enjoy the run rather than put any pressure on ourselves for a time.

Tuesday was the club run from Preston Park. These are split in to 3 groups, fast pace, medium pace and the gentle job. I joined the medium pace which was led by my PR target from Saturday. Interesting route which somehow had us running through a golf course (nice discussion as we passed a couple of players as to how their round was going), the first 3K was uphill and as we always talk at the start did have us gasping a bit. Then the next 5K was pretty much downhill as we exited the golf course and ended up going through a wooded area resplendent with roots and branches which were difficult to make out in the gloom. Fortunately no accidents and we magically ended up back in the centre of Brighton and running along the Steine and back towards Preston Park. A touch over 6 miles and done at a reasonable pace as well.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Read that back and realised I'd completely missed my part about trying to mow the lawn. Perils of posting whilst working  :D
  • john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Dangerous, I bottled out of that hill run! Still a bit concerned about the Achilles. I suspect that the derelict shopping centre on the old Festival site must be a pretty forlorn place - especially when the wind whistles through.

G'dog, thanks for the kind comments. I know what you mean about the start of the Hove PR - although the Preston Park one has an even worse bottleneck. Outsiders looking at the Brighton PRs would wonder why some of them are packed out whereas another, Bevendean, only gets about 30 runners some weeks. And then they try Bevendean! You put in a good set of runs and I sense you could be the thread's 'comeback kid'. Well done for putting in the miles.

I had a rare visit to a local park today. It's bumpy but pretty flat and therefore pretty good for speed stuff. Amazingly they've been playing cricket there for 250 years - which few who drive past it would dream of as it's in a very suburban area. Anyway, back to the run:

2k brisk (4.32 per k), followed by 10 minutes of Tabata type intervals:  20 seconds sprints/10 seconds rest. It should have just about killed me but I kept recovering quite well and I can put this down to one of two reasons

1. I'm extremely fit right now or
    2. My so called sprints are extremely slow

Maybe a bit of both.

• Like the small world talk..   Guess no-one has ever lived in the exciting world of Northamptonshire then..

Sounds like a plan regarding the dog DH, I grew up with them in the family and would also like one - a couple of dog-sitting weekends for a neighbour reminded me of how much work they are though.  Nice 10k on top of your speedwork and a well-earned rest day.

Might be hard to run an all-out HM on mara training mileage tired legs Cal, I am likely going to find that out on Saturday and am looking to run mine as MP practice.

Don't like drafters either swittle - had one in the last couple of miles of a mara once and told him off..  Hard to run away from someone at that stage. Good running in a more than decent wind.

JB I was also a bit peeved about loosing a year of my age category last year, a couple of years to go until I move up.  Nice bit of speedwork.

My HM has about 20 participants at the moment GD so a pretty low-key affair - there is a parallel 50k which I am now glad I didn't sign up and train for as the forecast is for 28 degrees.. Good parkrun result.  Glad to hear your partner is getting her confidence back and your plans for Brighton sound sensible.  Good news that your managed to avoid the golf-balls and other nasties on your club run.

Group run on Tuesday evening - 7 runners and 1 cyclist - unfortunately the latter without a luggage rack for giving people a lift up the hills.  After a week of rain, a week of hot weather we had a first hint of autumn - nice fresh breeze and comfy temperatures.  No-one pushed the pace which I was glad of.  Just short of 6.5 miles.

Yesterday saw decent mileage again, just short of 14.5 miles in 2.06.  I had originally planned to put in 1-2 MP miles but decided against it as I was feeling a bit tired and it was a bit on the warm side.  The HM on Saturday will be hard work with just 2 days to recover (recovery runs planned) but will be a good test of running on tired legs.  Will be nicer than doing a long MP session on my own.
  • John...yes, this will be an easier week, which is why I took two days off running after my 20 to ensure I recovered in time for my race. Still going to parkrun Saturday though. :lol:
    GD, my local, Tooting Common, is so bad for bottlenecks that I won't run it any more. Numbers have been lower thus far so I expect it's been alright but I'm sure it'll soon be back to its usual awfulness. 

Just a 6 miler today - actually went under 11 mins for the second half, without my HR going up too much, so perhaps things are improving. Maybe.

• Guarddog said:
    Three runs to report on. Saturday was PR at Hove Park, our 4th one back and there are more people turning up now. Made the schollboy error of starting off towards the back and so 'traffic' in front meant the first 400m was a very gentle job. One of my fellow club members who has improved greatly over the last year set off with more purpose and ensured they carved a path through as I meandered quite a way behind. I did see another club member on the second lap about 30m ahead and figured that as long as that didn't increase on the last lap I might have a chance of getting him on the sprint. Pleased to see the gap hadn't grown on the last lap and on the hill seemed to be coming down. However once he was on the downhill slope he pushed on and The gap was too great to close any further. 25 min dead, which with how I was feeling a few weeks back is pleasing, but nowhere near where I was last year. This was followed by a session in the garden. We had new turf put down a couple of months ago and the wet weather had really helped, however it also mean I hadn't been able to 
    Few good runs in that GD good work ! 25m is not a shabby pace... I used to like walk around Hove Park - I worked at L&G for a number of years. I imagine that park is a good course...

Dangerous, I bottled out of that hill run! Still a bit concerned about the Achilles. I suspect that the derelict shopping centre on the old Festival site must be a pretty forlorn place - especially when the wind whistles through.
    There is always tomorrow ;)

Plans were to put a hotel and BMX course on the site, then put the council offices but naturally as everything in that area it goes to pot

Like the small world talk..   Guess no-one has ever lived in the exciting world of Northamptonshire then..

Sounds like a plan regarding the dog DH, I grew up with them in the family and would also like one - a couple of dog-sitting weekends for a neighbour reminded me of how much work they are though.  Nice 10k on top of your speedwork and a well-earned rest day.
    Nearest I've been is Milton Keynes Bowl or Bedford Autodrome...

You've had some belting runs recently I've noticed.

Today way supposed to be a 15km'ish run but ended up doing my first 1/2 since April, appalling run. Really struggled on the last 4k where I used to knock these out easy. HR around 8-10 beat too high so I'm thinking I've not fully recover from speed work the other day or it means my biohazard of a son has brought home a cold for me to enjoy from nursery...
  • Good luck for parkrun and your half this weekend Cal.

MK is famous for its concrete cows and roundabouts Hamster.  Sorry you struggled on your run yesterday.  Was it a big jump up in one go to do a HM distance if you haven't run one since April?  Could well be an incoming cold though if your HR is up like that.

Ploddy recovery yesterday.  6 miles for me as well (well 10k). Should really have cut it a bit short as felt tired but I was determined to do what I had set out to do.  Nice evening but not too many people out.  School holidays are finished here, likely the reason.
  • I've done 15/16k without issues so HM should have been possible at easy pace. I knew within 5k that my HR was way higher than it should of been and was slow to go with it. I should have cut it right there and then but when I get something in my head... Live & learn but probably not
  • dangerous, put it down to a bad day at the (running) office. As you say a learning opportunity. (Although this does sound a bit like the politicians' reflexive comment every time they make a huge cock-up!)

Hazel, I've done the MK parkrun (very nice setting it was too). I've also done so work at the Northampton uni, which has a splendid new campus. I'm afraid this exhausts my knowledge of Northamptonshire - although we did once have a holiday in a cottage near Daventry if that counts!
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Guarddogg - pleased to read that you're on the road to posting better times.  The route through Brighton sounds good - I remember crossing part of a golf course during an offroad Marathon in Yorkshire some years ago.

John B - no speed work is wasted, when distance running tends towards pushing out a 'steady' pace.  

Yes, Hazel, autumn waiting in the wings, altho' it's been quite humid recently.  Your HM will incorporate simple social distancing!

Listen to your heart - that's a song title, isn't it, Cal?  ;)

Interested to read of your HR travails, dangeroushamster - any variations provide a ready window to diagnosis.  Re MK: there was a sort of travelogue/doco on BBC Radio 4 yesterday:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000ytz6

9pm start yesterday: investigated music & lights up the beach, then rounded the dock boundary and bisected the lakes, where 40+ swans were roosting.  Beach on return leg, then trail onto the coastal park, where I was brought low by a mini bunker, as I veered to give dog walkers some space.  As I lay recovering my bearing, two pit bull type dogs trotted over, friendly and even concerned in demeanour, at once followed by three more!  The two lads walking them asked earnestly after my health and I patted every dog and set off gingerly on the last half mile.  61 min. 

• Swittle, I too listened to that R$ programme about MK. I thought it was really interesting and rather heart-warming.
    Pit-bulls! My goodness I think my life would have flashed before me as they approached.

Today a Parkrun - 20.56 so a few seconds improvement on last week but still only good enough to come 3rd in my 65-69 age cat (!). I managed to track one of the others until the last 100 metres or so when I made a feeble attempt to outkick him knowing that (he's a nationally ranked 1500 metres man) it was merely a futile gesture. But that was the nearest I've got to him ever and we had a nice chat at the end.

9 runners had AGs north of 80% which again shows just how quick the course is, even with a nasty little easterly wind. As always a terrifically friendly atmosphere.
  • I hope you're OK, swittle...at least you had some canine comfort there (I suspect they were Staffies, no?). The graze I earned last Sunday is now nicely scabbed over - hopefully you didn't lose any skin as I did.

That's a good parkrun, John...but goodness, those are some fast vets!

Less satisfactory for me, though. Today's parkrun was Wickford Memorial in Essex, a nice park with mostly grit paths and a small stretch of grass. Very friendly event and mostly flat (one small incline at the end of each lap...there were two and a bit laps). The sort of course I'd normally do in around 25:30, but unfortunately I am still struggling so I could only manage 27:33. I was hoping for some improvement over last week, but it was a vain hope.
    I am hoping I can still go sub-2 tomorrow but I think it'll be a big ask at this stage. But I am running with a clubmate who is also hoping for the same thing so maybe we can help each other along.
  • Cal, another Parkrun ticked off for you. I've got my 200th next week and am planning to do Tunbridge Wells which I've not done before. Looking forward to hearing your result and race report from the HM. Good to be running with someone with the same goal. Fingers crossed for a sub 2.

6k for me today at brisk pace. Then off to the Junior Parkrun to see my granddaughter presented with wristband for her 11th event (= 'a half marathon'). They called her out to the front and she got a big cheer. It was all rather sweet and reminded me just how nice is the running community. 
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm fine, thanks, Cal: soft landing.  Dogs were taller at the shoulder than the Staffies I've seen.  Hope your race today yields the time you're seeking.

John: most vet categories are highly competitive iirc, maybe because the under 30s, for example, don't take up distance running until later in life.  The trick for older vets seems to be stay clear of injury - and, to do that, running in a biomechanically efficient way - not a gift bestowed widely!  The parkrun celebrations sound fun.  :-)

A rare 'double' yesterday, first for many years.  8am 30 min. with over-the-road neighbour, her first off road experience.  She asked whether I ran on the beach at night, and seemed rather incredulous when I said yes!  The pace was on the 'fresh' side for me but I think she and I needed to agree on what was comfortable for both.  9pm  A slightly more sedate 40 min. over the trails, skirting the Freeport and along the prom via the beach.  A reason for my slower pace may well be rooted in self preservation: the head torch & my memory don't pick up every possible trip hazard!

• Good luck (maybe belated by now) for your HM today Cal.  

Rural Northamptonshire is nice enough JB, I am always shocked though how little rural landscape is left around the south of Northampton at least - the fields of my childhood are now buried under thousands of homes.  Always a shock to come off of J15 of the M1 and see the mass of brickwork.

Sorry to hear about the fall swittle - hopefully no sore bits afterwards.  Lucky the dogs were calm and good the lads checked you were ok.  

Another good parkrun turnout JB - you need to work on your sprinting then to get that other guy.  200 parkruns is quite a bit considering the long break as well. Well done to your granddaughter for her HM, nice idea they get rewarded like that.

HM for me yesterday - 1:42:27 result - 2nd lady of 8.  I was looking for an MP practice run rather than a fast HM result (that is nearly 8 mins over my HM PB).  I'll copy my race report from the daily training thread:

The Hagneck Canal HM takes place as a parallel event to the Round Lake Biel Ultra (50k). An out and back with one water station at the turnaround point. Nice route – minor roads and paths along the lakeside with 3 minor climbs (in total 150 metres according to the GPS). With it being a warm and sunny weekend the area was pretty busy at 9 am already – numerous cyclists and dog walkers in particular. This is a low key event – no chip timing but not necessary with a small field as straight over the start line. 40 in total took part in the 50k, 4 walkers took on 40k and 20 runners in the HM.

My aim was to run at my goal MP (4:44/km), a HM seemed a good way to deal with the 12 miles @ MP on the P&D plan I am currently following.

I got to the start a bit later than I had originally planned so did a 1.x mile warm-up checking out the first bit of the course. Brief instructions at the start – follow the yellow arrows on the ground and we were off. I put myself towards the front in the expectation that the HM runners would set off more quickly which was the case. I didn't however try to follow the leading pack of around 5-6 including the first HM lady as I already felt that the pace was too high for what I had planned so let them go. First km was 4.30 – HM PB pace but at least I hadn't started off at 10k PB pace. That was the start of what basically turned into a solo time trial with a number on my front. With it being an out and back route I met the front HM runners on their way back and on having turned myself met the rest of the field coming towards me. Many runners encouraging the others on – nice. I was otherwise caught by one man just before the drinks station who then proceeded to run away from me as I started to wilt on the second half.

Splits were a bit uneven on the out stretch and a bit fast – I would have been better off slowing down a bit to reserve something for the second half. I could also already feel the heat a bit too much. The hill at 2.5 miles was a bit of a drag. I was glad to get to the drinks stations at half way – for once I actually took time to take a few swallows as I knew there would be no more opportunities. Nonetheless I took on air as well as water resulting in an uncomfy glug-glug-glug stomach the whole way back. I struggled to keep the pace up as of two thirds distance already and started to give up mentally. The stretches in the sun were particularly hard work and I resorted to a short walk before the return hill in an attempt to get my pulse / breathing down a bit. From the hill onwards I struggled to find any sort of decent pace – I think it would have helped to have other runners around me but as it was I had to keep on alone and get back to the start/finish. Over the line in 1:42:27 as 2nd lady (1st: 1:33:30) and a bit disappointed the run had not gone better. I did a mara pace over 10 miles a few weeks ago and yesterday felt quite a bit tougher. Possibly a combination of the conditions, a bad night's sleep, accumulated mileage and a lack of PMA when it got tough. I have another HM at the beginning of September to repeat the exercice, I should then better know what to set for my MP.

I was pleased that there was an official prize giving ceremony and an opportunity to have a shower / get changed – something that has been missing on most events since Corona got going. I won a nice beer glass. Otherwise I lounged around a bit to recover in the shade and helped clap in the other HM participants. If I had hung around a bit longer I would have seen the first runner come in for the 50k – a new course record of 3:04. Very impressive considering the warm conditions.

5k Splits:

23:24
    23:13
    23:57
    25:39 (hill and wilting badly)..

Last bit: 6:16

• John, it's a shame I'm away next weekend or I'd try to come and join you. You'll have to let us know what that one is like.
    Well done on your double, swittle...and on your beer glass, Hazelnut.

Terrible race today - I should have stayed in bed. My worst half marathon since 2015, before I'd even joined my club and had no idea what I was doing. Haven't go the results yet but it was over 2 hours 8 minutes - the race I did round the same time in 2015 was a tough four lapper in Richmond Park (so more undulating), on a very warm day, when I was heavier than I am now (and it was a PB at the time, which I then knocked down to 2:02 by the end of the year).
    First mile was OK but I just couldn't keep up with my clubmate and then I just got slower and slower and I was not enjoying it at all. I kept trying to find something positive (after all, we've been waiting for the return of the big races) but it eluded me. I don't know what's wrong with me but it can't just be the injury...I've had comeback races before but nothing like as slow as this.
    During the race I was thinking about cancelling all my remaining races...not sure I'll go that far but I am at a loss.
  • HazelnutCH sounds like they needed a few more water stations for the weather. Still 2nd lady, free beer glass and another in the bank you can't be too disappointed with that

Cal, look at it as another session in the bank and it's better that doing house work. Bad runs come and go for no apparent reason I'm sure next one will be right up there

After my poor attempt at HM myself I had 2 days off before 11k yesterday which involved keeping high paces I've not sustained running at. Last set of 4 I was running on virtual empty and could quite get the pace but was close at least. Whatever was wrong for HM I think has fixed itself... Will be a slow, easy 30mins today to loosen the legs after yesterday 
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Hopefully it was just one of those days, hamster, and you're back flowing. Could well have been that you still had the speedwork in the legs and I shouldn't worry too much about it.

Double run swittle? Are you training hard or just trying to impress the over the road neighbour  ;) . Glad to hear the tumble wasn't too serious and as you say best to take it easy as the evenings draw in.

Great Parkrun result, john. I am incredibly impressed with how you're getting quicker and it gives me some hope I might improve yet. Sounds like you did well to get close to a nationally ranked 1500m runner. Perhaps as Hazelnut suggests you need to work on your sprint finish.

That is a fantastic time for the HM, Hazelnut, and well done on being second female. Certainly shouldn't beat yourself up about it. As you say it can be a bit tough to run pretty much on your own. Hopefully the beer glass was put to good use and those splits I'd have been pleased with on a PR at the moment.

Likewise, Cal, well done on your HM. Easy to say don't get too down on yourself over the time - like everyone else I know these things matter to us, but you got out there and you did it. And the form will come back.

Two runs over the weekend. We had thought about doing Seaford PR on Saturday as I fancied doing something flat, however this was cancelled as they were doing a triathlon (interestingly I did my first HM as part of that weekend's activities 11 years ago). Lancing Green was another consideration, but that was also cancelled and we thought Worthing may be too busy due to this. Plus I'd not have been able to keep up with john. In the end it was back to Hove Park and starting slightly further towards the front to avoid the jam. Steady pace, although no club mates to try to chase down. No one really around me coming in to the last 200m to inspire a sprint, however managed 24:35 which is my quickest since it's restarted. Still don't feel the speed is there, however I had done a gym session and a HIIT class on the Friday which I still felt in my legs.

Sunday we decided on a 12K starting at Southwick and running through to Hove. This was more to continue to build up my partner's confidence after she'd had a good couple of runs previously - including posting her best PR time of the year the day before. There was also the potential for a sausage and egg bap afterwards. Headed off west first to take in the harbour entrance at Shoreham - seeing a dredger chugging along with the lifeboat as a companion, then turning back east with the slight wind behind us, we probably miscalculated how warm it was. By doing that we made the turning point at 7K before coming back. The pace wasn't swift, but probably faster than we'd been doing and I felt quite comfortable. So much so that it half crossed my mind to suggest that we push on beyond the 7K point.

Good job I didn't. As it clicked over on her watch she immediately pulled up looking pretty ropey and saying she was feeling dizzy and sick. We hung around for about 5 minutes to see if things eased off and I suggested we do a run/walk back. However she insisted I push on and she'd meet me back at the car. One of those 'do I show solidarity and stay with her or make the most of my run' situations. The run won. Found it quite difficult to get going initially after standing around, however I soon hit a nice rhythm and was posting 8:45 min/miles. I did think about pushing on to the harbour entrance and back to add on an extra 2K, but not knowing how my partner was doing I didn't know whether she'd return before I got back. So in the end decided to make it up to the 8 mile mark. Even then I was waiting another 25 mins - she'd decided to walk it back. I had jogged back to meet her with a bottle of water, but the egg and sausage bap was off the menu by this point. 
  • G'dog and Hazel, yes - my sprint finish is shocking. I cant recall the last time I actually overtook anyone in the last 100 metres! 

Cal, oh no! That sound very demoralising. Not sure I can give you any practical advice - other than don't do anything too hasty. (Maybe run without the stopwatch for a while?) Don't worry - I'll post a review of the T. Wells experience.

Hazel, great race report, great time and really good position. You are on a roll. Enjoy!

Swittle, have you got a new training partner now? I don't think you'd have many volunteers for the night shift. You are spot-on about the importance of injury avoidance in later years. I'm walking  tightrope - too much intensity in training and I'll be crocked. Bio-mechanically, I think I just about get away with it. (As long as I avoid sprints!?)

G-dog, the Seaford Parkrun along the prom is OK. A few years back I did an HM on the same course - you just flog up and down it and the novelty wears off! That 2nd run sounds a bit stressful. (BTW James was at Worthing on Saturday and I managed a quick 'hi'.)

Dangerous, good run. You'll reap the benefits down the line...........
  • Sorry your race didn't go as well as you were hoping for Cal.  In positive terms you finished the race.  Take a few easy days - doing whatever you feel like - maybe no running at all.     What races do you have ahead of you? 

Yep - I'm fine with my result - just need to sort a few things out hamster.  I have another go at an HM in less than 2 weeks where I will again be looking for MP practice.   Good session I saw from you - working hard on your faster paces.

Beer glass is proving useful GD - currently half-filled with water rather than beer.  Good parkrun turnout.  Nasty experience for your partner, likely didn't need that to happen if she is looking to get her confidence back at the moment.  Hope she is feeling fine in the meantime.  Shame you missed your egg and sausage bap!

Must have cross-posted with you yesterday swittle - great you have found company for some running.  Nice double too!

9 easy miles yesterday - set off with the intention of doing a few recovery miles and kept going a bit longer than planned.   Felt / feel ok - much better after the hill race and long run combo I did a week ago or so - that had me tired for quite a bit of last week. 
  • 33 mins recovery yesterday evening - as often my legs felt a lot tireder 2 days past a hard run.  Certainly seems we are moving towards autumn - had the scent of freshly ploughed earth wafting around my nose for a time - nice.