My Last Run

Comments

• Hazel...I've got a lot of races booked, thanks to cancelled events being rescheduled...two HMs and two 10Ks in September (plus the last of the Wimbledon trail races) and Manchester marathon in October (also Alton Towers half marathon in November...that's more of a fun run for me though). Possibly Valencia in December.
    The one I'm worried about is Manchester. I don't mind if I don't PB but I'd rather not have a similar race to yesterday only twice as long.

Yesterday was a real mixed bag of good and awful. Quite sore from the half but got myself to the gym for some rehab, and then I walked 5.5 miles up to Waterloo to see a fun, feel good movie at the IMAX. The awful bit was in the afternoon when water started pouring through my ceiling and I had a stressful time trying to contact my upstairs neighbour, running into the street to turn the water off at the mains and borrowing buckets from the neighbours that were in as I don't have one myself. The neighbour did come back (she was out walking), fortunately, and the flood stopped, but I have significant water damage and so does the guy in the flat under mine as it went all the way down. (Dishwasher, apparently). The good thing is my flat already resembles a post-apocalyptic shack, and the flood was nowhere near my electronics, but I will have to get the kitchenette repainted. It's still damp and smells like it, too. Ugh.
    So basically all that adrenaline didn't make for a good night's sleep, but I managed to drag myself out at 7 for a 6 mile recovery, which was quite pleasant as the weather was nice - sunny but cool. Legs tired but not bad, otherwise.
  • Cal, crikey, you could answer to the name 'lucky' right now. Hope that the insurance is sorted soon. I suspect you really needed that 6 miler.

Hazel, agree - defo a whiff of Autumn in the air. But - at long last - most of the UK will get some sun over the next few days.

A decent little workout from me, if a rather eccentric one. 2k in 9 mins followed by 1 minute rest, Then 20 x 30  second 'sprints' with a 5 second rest after each one. Then another minute rest followed by 1k in 4.50. Funnily enough it added up to exactly 5k. 
    It certainly felt hard.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    I have to admit the thought of the egg and sausage bap sounded better the evening before than it did at the end of the run, Hazelnut, and I didn't miss it too much. Nice 9 miler from, you and likewise here it's starting to feel cooler.

Sorry to hear about the water drama, Cal. As john mentions hopefully the insurance company will sort that out for you without too much hassle. Presumably you'll need a de-humidifier of some sort to try and get rid of the damp?

Did Seaford PR a couple of years ago, john, shortly after it started. Funnily enough that was with James as he was adding to his Sussex PRs. The only complaint was with the coffee at the end. I've done the HM along the seafront as well, a couple of times. As you say deadly dull but with the advantage of being flat. Should see James this evening for the club run - he's leading our group. Well done on the sprints, btw.
  • Hadn't considered a dehumidifier, GD...I've just got my window open. 
  • As I'm away this weekend, I decided to try and get a long run in midweek. Legs are still quite knackered after the Big Half (despite my tortoise-like pace, it still, somehow, took a lot out of me) so wasn't sure how far but I figured 18 would be enough on tired legs. Much of my run was on tried and tested routes but I wanted to find a bit of open ground called Whitehorse Meadow that sits behind a park near the Croydon Transmitter. And I did manage to find it...quite pleasant, too, although the big hill on the other side of it was an unwelcome surprise (I guess I should have seen that coming as that whole area is hills).
    I didn't feel spectacular on that run - I was a little bit spacey and my balance felt off. It's not a new feeling - I think it's a fatigue thing, maybe - but it's rather unwelcome. I did take a couple of gels with me so I made sure to take them and I managed to get through the run without eating pavement. 
    Average pace still rather slow at around 11 - I won't beat myself up for that as I was tired going into the run - but I do hope I can do better next time out.

• john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Cal, well, there's a bit of a breeze down here so I hope you've got one too. 

G'dog, hope the club run went well and that James didn't beast you! He's far too nice to do that.

Another interval session today. This time 2 slow ks and 2 fast ks alternating. The fast ones were 3.59 and 4.02 and nearly killed me.

I'm enjoying the paras and the coverage is so much fuller than that for the Olympics, even if it does mean an awful lot of Claire Balding.........
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Might be an idea to consider the de-humidifier, Cal, may make the drying out a bit quicker. I'm sure you could hire one and then get the insurance company to pick up the cost. Hopefully you're feeling a bit better and well done on the 18 miles - can't have been easy on tired legs.

Good interval sessions, john, you're certainly picking up the pace. Mentioned our discussions to James last night and he speaks highly of you. He mentioned how you arranged for him to meet Gary Nelson. Fortunately he didn't beast me, he left that for others to do.

6.5 miles along side the Adur to Botolphs and back last night. A beautiful evening, although roadworks in Shoreham meant the start was delayed for 20 mins to allow all those stuck in the traffic to make it. A good turn-out for the middling group and we set off at a decent pace which, with a mixture of testosterone, seemed to get quicker. Or it may have been the allure of having a longer rest at the various re-group points. Either way on the way back I found myself in no man's land having become detached from the front three and quite ahead of those behind me. If I'm honest not having to make conversation was saving my lungs. At one of the re-groups we were given a quick history lesson regarding the railway line that used to run along the path we were taking and would go all the way to Guildford, running through Steyning. We have run part of this at Henfield on the Downs Link where you can still see the platform at East Grinstead. Glad to feel I'm starting to get the endurance back and even though I found the pace hot I did, for the most part, manage to stay with it.

Physio session this afternoon which, as the guy I see is leaving the practice, I suspect will be my last unless something goes wrong.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    This thread varies regularly in the number of posts, and it's always great to see new & returning posters alike.  That said, I'm struggling to keep up with the many achievements, events, successes - and disappointments, so forgive me for any omissions.

Decent HM time, Hazel and a useful part of your Mara prep.  Your 5k splits got me thinking about mine in my 'best' HM.  I never did measured 5k events in my 'fitter' years, so I now have an idea of what I might have achieved - not sub-20 but, hey, who's counting?  ;)

Cal: it's a 'dust yourself off' time.  No-one welcomes setbacks; and almost everyone takes a swipe at themselves when they occur.  Cut some slack: review, reflect and return reinvigorated. :)  That 'Direct Line' commercial makes a domestic flood look like a simple job to fix but I know from a flooded basement flat 25 years ago that there's much to do to get stuff straight.  I used the insurance cheque as deposit on a house!

dangeroushamster: there's no accounting for 'how' a session feels.  Even with all other factors being equal, food, liquid, mood & sleep inter alia can combine to scupper a run, or make it memorable and uplifting.  

Guarddog - you had me at 'egg & bacon bap' - until I read on.  Good show on your return to parkrun activity.  From other reports, it seems that the fear of crammed courses is largely passed, although some events will not be returning.  :(   I hope your partner's over her dodgy patch - you knew she'd be at some point along a known course - and there are phones, of course, tho' my inner death wish doesn't permit me to take mine out when I run!  :-o

Yes, John.  N lives over the road, busy life, school age children, pt social worker.  She worked up to running HM distance, then life got in the way.  We agreed to try running together: she's 27 years younger and stones lighter than me, so it's a push to keep up a slightly faster pace than I usually run - but she says she's enjoying the routes and has taken to off road like the proverbial duck to water.  Well done on your intervals - on the Costa del Crosby, mine are mainly sunny atm.... ;)
  • Another interval session today. This time 2 slow ks and 2 fast ks alternating. The fast ones were 3.59 and 4.02 and nearly killed me.

Jez that's some going... I completed something similar with 4.20 pace and that nearly killed me...
    Guarddog said:
    Physio session this afternoon which, as the guy I see is leaving the practice, I suspect will be my last unless something goes wrong.

Hope the physio went well...

Had a few session this week. 15x Strides, 40min easy and a Tempo run today which ended in a 5k PB of *23m 23s

Garmin watch decided to restart in the last 1/2k but did load the session back. Looking at the map I think it missed 60m so ended up with 5.06km @23.23. Either way happy days. 5k race in Cardiff Sunday so hopefully I can pip by a few seconds and get it offically

• Oh shit Cal that is definitely something you could have done without, not only your own flat but the one you rent out as well... That is an impressive mid-week long run not too long after your HM, no need to hurry that one along I would say.  Have a good weekend away.

Some speedy ks JB - I rarely see one beginning with a 3 and that likely towards the end of race down a hill!  Must look for some coverage of the paralympics.  Switzerland has some top wheelchair marathoners (Hug, Frei, Schaer).

Good group run by the sounds of it GD.  Fingers crossed you can stay away from the physio now.

Good words for everyone there swittle.  You must have a good selection of routes to show your new running partner.

Great mix of training this week DH.  Good luck with your 5k in Cardiff.  Fingers crossed for that official PB.

Cut back week for me this week distance wise so no longer mid-week run.  Tuesday was a standard group run with a couple of solo pre-miles.  Bit breezy - no-one was especially keen to lead up the long hill against the wind but we sorted ouselves out at some point.  Bit gloomy, by the end at just past 8pm the street lighting came on - already need to think about the headtorch soon?

Wednesday was a first interval session for a while.  5 x 800m.  Considering I set off with my standard oh-no speedwork attitude the session went well, pace was decent.  Each rep got harder earlier but go through it ok.  Almost perfect conditions - coolish, light breeze and sunny.

Yesterday 5 miles recovery on a local loop, mostly in the woods.  Breeze was stronger again (and from the opposite direction) and legs a bit tired from the previous day so gentle pace appropriate.  Surprisingly quiet in the evenings in the woods now.
  • DH, best of luck with that 5k. A bit of competition always helps, I'm sure. Weather should be good, I hope. Cardiff is pretty flat.....well, flatter than most parts of the country. 

Swittle, good to train with someone younger, fitter, faster and lighter, as long as you don't end up totally wrecked.

Gd, there's an ultra along the Downslink isn't there? It also features in the Mel's Milers 10k and the Barns Green 10k. Have you done either of these? I've done them both and would recommend. Well done on your run. I know what you means about chatting on a run. It's nice in all sorts of ways, but it destroys my times.

Hazel, those 800m intervals sound hard. What rest do you have between each interval? 

Nothing for me for a couple of days. Parkrun tomorrow. A new course for me. I've done a bit of research and it certainly looks lovely. However, it's 'undulating' (a term that covers a multitude of inclines!) and has some narrow pinch points which will make overtaking tricky. I'm giving myself a target of 22.30.
  • Still not feeling awesome but got a 6 mile recovery run done today. Felt a bit off during the first four miles but slightly improved on the fifth so added some low-key strides into the last mile to try and perk the legs up. This mile was actually a bit slower than the fifth due to a couple of cat petting stops (one very pretty dilute tabby...lilac maybe? And a nice ginger. Both super friendly). 
  • JB: around 2 minutes - I complete the rest of the marked 1k stretch and then out to a certain post in one direction and to the chickens in the other so consistent distance.  Likely takes a bit longer on each rep as I get tired during the session.  Hope you had a good parkrun this morning.

I often find the sections with strides come out slowest on the splits Cal as I will drop the pace right down between the strides.  I'm still trying to make friends with one of my neighbour's cats - if I talk to it it does a wierd meooowww and keeps walking..

6.5 miles yesterday evening in a bit over 54 minutes. Not having done a mid-week longer run I had pretty fresh legs and ran at a too fast pace - set off that way and kept going..  Need to get out of the that habit - I'm in a cut-back week and should preserve that fresh legs feeling not waste it.

Have a good weekend all.
  • Hazel, thanks for the info. I think the 2 minute rest sounds pretty standard (and sensible).
    @To the chickens' is a new one to me. One of my running friends talks about 'giving it the full beans'. I guess they mean pretty much the same!

Cal, thought I'd report back on the Tunbridge Well Parkrun as you were considering it.
    It's a delightful course - a semi rural park. It seemed a bit longer form the station than the 0.8 of a mile mentioned on the site - and not a very nice walk as it seems to be by a fast road. Not horrible though as the town itself is a delight - a Victorian watering-hole and rather prosperous. Some lovely buildings.

The course is two laps around the park. It was a tad hillier than I expected and mainly on (quite long) grass. It was kind of bumpy. As anticipated there were some narrow parts and  it was quite easy to get stuck behind others. But again, not a major issue. The worst thing was the finish which is a mean little hill. Not many folk found a sprint finish!

Overall, I'd recommend it BUT not if there's been much by way of rain. It becomes a bit churned up and unpleasant, I was told.

My performance was 22.24. I'd predicted 22.30 so I was happy with that.  This got me a category win and my AG of 75.60% was the best in the relatively small field (225). A nice way to celebrate my 200th (Parkrun, not birthday).
  • The chickens are real ones JB - with feathers and clucks.  Lay good eggs too.  

Nice parkrun review and result. Well done on completing the 200.  Do you get a T-shirt for that one?

8.3 miles yesterday early afternoon.  Lumpy route in the woods - tried to keep effort level rather than pace even though likely worked too hard up the ups and not enough down the downs.  Around 6 miles of that and then a short workout of 6 hill sprints up a convenient street nearby.  Bigger gradient than the last go at that and I certainly noticed it.  Short jog and 8 x strides to finish off.  
  • So those chickens have come home to roost! No T-shirt for 200 - I think 250 is the next one. When I do hills (very rarely) I try to make the downs a recovery.
  • John, does the road have a pavement at least? I'm a bit wary of non-pedestrian roads... I had to walk a stretch on my way to Lullingstone and it was a little bit alarming, even though it was relatively quiet on that stretch.
    Well done on the 200...I guess you'll need another year or so to get your next shirt, though of course we'll be paying for them in the future. Not something I need to worry about any time soon as I'm only on 127.
    Hazel, I enjoyed petting my friend's tortoiseshell cat this weekend (I was there five years ago when she got her as a kitten) but she definitely has some tortitude...she'll happily accept strokes and purrs but when she's had enough she'll give you a little bite and wag her tail.  :lol:

I had a nice (and varied) weekend doing all sorts but the only running I did was the Soham Village College parkrun, which is one of the weirdest parkruns I've done. It's three laps, about two thirds on playing fields (but very wiggly with a couple of  hairpins and a strange clamber up a small bank in the corner of a field) and the rest ducks and dives between the school buildings. While it's mostly flat it's definitely not a PB course, so I was very pleased to duck under 27 minutes, half a minute faster than Wickford which I think is a slightly faster course. Legs seem to be coming back but heart and lungs are not there yet (and I'm understandably wary of pushing that until I have had the final ECG and all clear from the cardiologist).
    Anyway, I rather enjoyed that parkrun, although I don't think I managed to convert my friend. She walked one lap, mostly to see her old school, but not sure she'll go back. I guess we'll see.
  • 11 miles this morning....and a real old slog it was. Rather surprised my legs felt so heavy given I had a pretty relaxing weekend. The dull weather wasn't very inspiring, either.
  • Would have thought you are on a higher number of parkruns Cal.  Well done on this weekend's one.  Good to see you getting in good time on a not so easy course.  When will you be seeing the cardiologist again?

Long run on Sunday - nearly 17.5 miles in 2:41.  I had intended to do around 16 but was determined to fill up a gap I had in my project to run the length of a river over time so did a bit of extra distance.  Most of the running was flat and easy but there were also a few flights of stairs (walked those) and some technical trails which pushed down my overall pace a bit.  I was tired but not excessively so at the end so the long run fitness seems to be picking up now.

Yesterday's recovery seemed to confirm that - 40 minutes and I let the legs decide on pace, they were quite happy to pootle along.  Collected and returned two friendly "Good evenings" - one runner, one guy out for a stroll.  I was a bit shocked to work out those were the first words I had said to a human being all day.
  • The 10th, Hazel. 
    I only started parkrun in 2016, after my first marathon and when it started up the road on Tooting Common. I had a fair amount of downtime for injury as well, so I've only managed 127 since then, but after I started touring in earnest in 2018, I've done 78 different ones (so far). Just booked my train tickets for the next one. :)

Gym today...45 mins on the elliptical and an hour of strength training.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Parkrun seems to be getting back to normality, swittle, in as much as runners are not observing the same distancing as they may have been in the first couple of weeks. And definitely seeing more turning up now.

Physio went well thanks hamster, although the poke around on my calf left that feeling a bit tender for a day or so. Well done on the 5K PB, how did Cardiff go in the end?

Well done on the Tunbridge Wells PR, john. As you say it's a nice town and used to go there for the shopping a few years back. Not sure abut the Downslink Ultra, I'd have to have a look. Not that I'm going to do an ultra  :D Did do the Barns Green half a couple of years ago. Wasn't a happy run as something went twang in my groin at 9 miles and I limped in.

You know what they say about tortoiseshell cats, Cal -  naughty torties. My ex and I got one and she lived up to that fully. Would happily lie there letting you stroke her and would then turn and cling on to your arm. Well done on the 11 miler. Have you heard from the insurance company yet?

Good set of running, Hazelnut. Funny what you say about people saying hello on runs, I try and acknowledge people as they go the other way and I reckon I get a response back one in every three.

Two runs over the weekend. Having done Hove Park PR since it reopened we decided to do a flat one and headed to Seaford. This is a much smaller affair with a wider path and is a simple out and back. The wind was behind on the 'out' lap and it was a bit chillier than we'd anticipated. Got into a nice easy rhythm and knew my partner was not far behind me as we turned just past the martello. Heading back again I tried to keep the form going and managed to pick off a few and finished with a sprint in 24:07. Still nowhere near my best, but certainly the best this year. Partner came in not too far behind, although she was annoyed as when she got the result it had her over two minutes behind me, which wasn't the case. This is the second time recently that she seems to have been given the wrong token.

Sunday was a long slow run from Saltdean on the undercliff path. She'd decided she was only going to do 10K and I was pushing on to do 9 miles. However she felt better than she did the previous week so had decided to do 12K, although I left her at about the 3 mile mark an ran on towards the pier. Passed quite a number of Lambrettas and Vespas as the Quadraphenia buffs were out in force. Lovely sunny run with a slight wind on the way back. Partner was waiting and she'd done 13K in the end, which picked her confidence up a bit. Coffee afterwards was a strange affair. A request for two white americanos one with cold milk and one with hot seemed to stump the server. If I wanted hot milk it had to be a latte as she wasn't sure she could do an americano with hot milk. I suggested if she was heating the milk for the latte then just make the americano as she would normally and add the heated milk. There was a moments thought and then the penny dropped. I feel I may have helped with her work knowledge.

Club run this evening from Waterhall Rugby club - so it's going to be hilly.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    I'm between laptops atm and the venerable Acer doesn't like the RW site, throwing an error message and order to reboot.  When I try to do this I get a 'no bootable device' message.  :(  I said that computers would never catch on...

Anyhoo, I 'may' have broken neighbour/running chum: she has a grumbling lower back and £35 of Thai massage [not by me!] hasn't shifted it.  I've given her some Dynamint http://www.runnersworld.ltd.uk/acatalog/Dynamint-Muscle-Cream-30ml.html which I've used for years.

7am today, halfway through our run, I stepped into a sand hollow and faceplanted...but stopped my watch before I landed.  :-o
  • 78 different parkruns in that total is pretty impressive Cal. 

Such behaviour can be seen in ginger cats as well GD.  Well done on your 2021 parkrun best.  Annoying though for your partner with her recorded result.  Good she managed a longer than expected run on Sunday though.  Glad you got the coffees sorted in the end. 

Hope you get to grips with the new laptop soon swittle - or it with you.  I can imagine that that cream smells quite pungent.  Make sure you don't need it yourself - hope no tweaks from that fall.  Were you trying to impress your running partner with your diving techniques? ;)

10 miles and a bit yesterday evening.  Short of four solo and the rest with my group - seven in total so a decent turnout.  Brisk NE wind meant working fairly hard in places.  I wasn't really in the mood for chat but let it flow around me with the odd comment which was nice enough. 
  • Cal, I think there is a pavement to the course, along the busy road.

Swittle, if you are going to faceplant, I guess that sand is just about the best terrain for the landing! Horrible though. I really hate tripping over and hope you weren't too shaken up. 

G'dog, good parkrunning. Seaford in windy conditions is not PB territory. How annoying for your partner that the time was wrong. Imagine if she was on for a PB!  TBH I'm always amazed at how efficient and accurate the parkrun timing is. I think it let me down once and then accepted my own estimation. Needless to say, I knocked a couple of minutes off........

Hazel, looks like all is going pretty smoothly and that you are notching up some decent runs. I'm impressed with your 'game management'. 

Not much going on for me other than a 10k last night. Never my favourite distance, I habitually underperform and deserve to on the basis of my negligent training. (I'm at the opposite end of the discipline spectrum to Hazel!) However, a 46.32 was good - and I had a bit more gas in the tank at the end. I've got a 10k race coming up in October but have no great aspirations. A sub 46 would be nice though................
  • IT is more trouble than it's worth, swittle. What you need is a child of some description to come along and fix it for you. Well done on stopping your watch as you fell, that's a true runner's trick. Hopefully you're not hurt and also you've not broken your neighbour.

Ginger cats definitely have an attitude, Hazelnut. We have a couple who visit and whilst one is fairly timid the other thinks we're a free buffet and will come in to eat anything our two haven't. It's cost a fair bit in vet's fees to patch up one of ours when they come together. Well done on the 10 miler and know what you mean about letting the conversation flow around you.

10K last night on a rather hilly meander over the Downs. I have to admit I wasn't really in the mood after a frustrating day at work and a call arranged for 6pm that no one else turned up to. Due to the call I'd got myself in the frame of mind I wouldn't be running and when partner said she wasn't feeling too well we were giving ourselves an 'out', but in the end decided it would do us good.

Joined the middling pace group and was soon worried that of the 5 of us there I was, based on performance this year, the slowest and felt I'd either hold the group up or lose touch. First 3 miles took us along by the side of the A23 towards Pyecombe, where the pace was challenging to say the least, and then turning up and attacking a long hill to Saddlescombe. We then linked up with part of the route for the Hove Hornets Stinger which is one of the races that make up the West Sussex Fun Run League. Quite a tricky trail and for large parts of it you can only run in single file. Thankfully the last 2K was either downhill or flat and nice to stretch the legs out. 
  • GD...I was always under the impression that an Americano was black...how is an Americano with milk different from a latte?
    I won't be hearing from the insurance company as it's my neighbours. I am assuming nothing much has happened yet because of the bank holiday but I'll chase her up in a week or so.
    swittle, it's always a pain getting everything set up on a new PC/laptop but really worth it once you're done. The Acer sounds as though it's circling the drain.
    Glad you weren't hurt!

4 mile plod this morning...just a leg freshener as I have the last of the three Wimbledon trail races this evening. Fortunately it's the standard 5 mile route (the last one is usually 8 miles but as the series has been bumped from May/June/July to July/August/September due to Covid, it's now too dark for the longer course).
  • An americano is espresso shots with hot water and a white americano is topped up with a bit of milk. A latte is espresso shots with a lot more milk. I've never been a big fan of overly milky drinks and have always drunk black tea, but do like a bit of milk in coffee and especially like it hot as I quite like the slight frothy affect on top. Hopefully their insurance company don't drag their feet. Is there scope to claim on yours and then you insurance company can claim against hers? And well done on the plod, fingers crossed the trail race goes OK. As you say the nights are drawing in quite quickly now.
  • Had a bit of annual leave and a break from the old 'puter for while as I'm generally on it 10 hours a day...

Bit of a catch up through the threads, generally an impressive amount of distance running going on here ! 

Cal, John, I've not done a single parkrun yet so to get to that level of runs is quick the feat well done
    Cal, Glad the legs are coming back ! 
    Hazel, Fresh chicken eggs are the best ! Your mileage must be through the roof but you do have an amazing running area

Had a quiet week in terms of distance but Cardiff 5k managed a 22m 55s PB. Happy to dip into the 22m for the first time which was my aim. Had major cramp in calves once I stopped which I'm still feeling today...

Nights certainly drawing in quickly GaurdDog. Very noticeable that my evening running is getting impacted
  • GD, I don't know but I'm not anxious to mess up my no claims.
    DH...I've heard pickle juice is good for cramps...not that I've tried it. Well done on the PB!

The race went about as well as I could hope for. I still struggle with the technical descents on the Alps (these are just mounds, really, but rocky/stony and a bit of a challenge to negotiate at speed) but once those were out of the way I managed to take two minutes off my last time and came in at 48:13 (by my watch). Still four minutes adrift of my course best from 2019 but I'm happy enough as it shows improvements are being made.
  • Worth having a conversation with your insurance to see what they recommend or say. Water damage can be quite extensive and generally hidden be careful...

Good work on the race, improvement by improvement is a good gain... Did you see any wombles ?

Done an 11k session yesterday and cramp finally seems to have faded away. Pickle juice is new on me, do eat a fair few gherkins mind. I assumed it was salt that needed replenishing so ate a tube of salt & vinegar pringles. Will really need to sort something before next race...