My Last Run

Comments

• > @"john bateman 6" said:
    > G'dog, mind that calf! I've always found the Preston Park PR to be a bit frustrating as the start is so congested.

It is busy although when I went they had pacing markers, ie 20 mins start here, 22 here, 25 here etc. I thought that was a simple but brilliant idea.
  • Good job John - 2 second are nothing, really, but annoying all the same.

I wanted to do a couple of faster miles today so decided I'd go out after 9am as it was too dark at 6 (and I'd hit the school run in between those times...which I want to avoid. The area where I live is nicknamed Nappy Valley thanks to all the schools in the locale...there are a lot).
    Legs didn't feel particularly bouncy so took me a couple of miles to get them turning over. Third mile was a little better so did miles 4 and 5 at what I hoped was around sub-2 pace (HM, obviously...I'm not Kipchoge). First one was slightly over and second was slightly under, so I guess it evened out. 
    Did a cool-down mile but part of it was up a bit of a hill and found myself working a bit too hard there, so I'm not sure I'm going to manage a sub-2 at Ealing, much as I'd like to. But maybe being more rested will help.

• Cal - 'nappy valley', like it.

Dave, are you from the Brighton area?
  • Gym day yesterday (nothing too arduous - half an hour on the elliptical and some bodyweight rehabby stuff)...then five miles today with strides in the final mile. That's it until Ealing on Sunday (I'm volunteering at parkrun tomorrow).
  • Dark run last Wednesday, 9pm.  Fresh W breeze, tide newly out, leaving 500 yd of hard, ridged sand to tippytoe across!  No sinking feeling, though ::-) 
    Faithful road shoes now showing more sock than upper after harsh treatment with sand, sea & trails.  Got a pr of Nike Kanadia [?]  to start on.

Neighbour now broken & seeing chiropractor, as well as doing Pilates.  Hopes to return to running in a few weeks.

Haven't read back but I am sure you'll all be doing the spirit of the thread proud.  :-)
  • Good luck returning to running Swittle, I'm a big fan of new shoes... Can't wait for those night time runs !

Done a few cheeky 7/8k runs, some not all recorded on Strava to satisfy the garmin coach plans and my OCD. I've decided to ditch my HR training until end of the month to get the endurance up for Newport 10k. Quite refreshing going out and always going a bit quicker than usual...

16k run for me tomorrow morning to round the week out...
  • Swittle, good to hear from you. 

Hamster, a very upbeat update on your training. Newport I recall (perhaps wrongly) as a flat, fast course.

Cal, well done for your Parkrun duties today. Good luck for Ealing.

Angry knee didn't stop me from my weekly parkrun fix and I was rewarded with a season's best time (20.49) and an all time best age grade (81.32%). Perfect conditions helped. Tomorrow, a 10k on a challenging course..............
  • A trail 10k with 1,150ft of climb yesterday. Absolutely loved it and by far the most amount of elevation I've done within a single run (since getting myself in shape and starting to run in September 2020). Very approximately it was 11 ascents of 100ft. Chuffed to have not walked at all.

Feeling it today, though!
  • Arrgh - got behind again.  Seems i have reached that point in mara training when it gets a bit of a chore (usually a the last couple of weeks prior to the taper).

Hope Ealing goes ok for you today Cal and that you will start.  Good idea to rest yesterday rather than parkrun.  Sorry you had a bad race at the Pride 10k but it was pleasing to see you perk up a bit in between.  A rather late thought regarding speed endurance is that you might profit from building up longer tempo runs, the 5ks are a good start but for a half I would look to do longer distances at speed but slower.  
    A good way to start would be with tempo intervals - starting with something like 3 x 10 minutes with decent recoveries.  Over time you build up the duration of the reps and reduce to 1 recovery.  Helped me to decent half marathon times.
    To also put your half times in perspective - I have run 2 HM races in mara training and was way off my HM PB and expected to be.  I think it would be hard to run a full out HM during mara training simply because the legs won't be rested enough.

Shame regarding those 2 seconds JB - maybe you started the watch early and stopped it too late and could claim a sub 46?  Hope you can claim that today?  Angry knee and a challenging course doesn't sound too good though.  That is a fantastic parkrun result.

Ouch to your partner running with a hangover GD.  Good that your calf management is working out ok so far.

Welcome to _Jay_ - great rail run with lots of upping (and I assume downing) and great you enjoyed it so much.  

Welcome also to dave1972.

Does sound like it is time for a new pair of shoes for you swittle - enjoy!  Sand and salt water must stress the material quite a bit.  Are you fully recovered from your treatment now?

Great 10k result hamster - I would take it as a sub 50 for sure as your watch will likely have been a bit out and it is close anyway. Doesn't sound like you had an optimal race either.  Hope your wife is much better in the meantime.

Training has gone ok in the meantime - I've run more or less as intended.  Got one of the big nasties out of the way last Sunday with an 18 miler with 14 @ MP which went well.  Bit of an easier week to follow though I made the mistake of swapping an intervals session with a hills session which my butt and quads didn't appreciate for a couple of days.  Yesterday's last run was a progressive 10k - half slightly up hill (river) and took advantage of the return slightly down for a fast second half for 45:57 overall.  Warm and humid so a pleasing result for a solo time trial.   Will be interesting to see what the legs think about a long run in a few minutes.  Will keep it gentle and go for time on feet though (undulating route and pretty breezy anyway).
  • Well done John. I actually had a lady come up to me today (at Ealing half) and ask if I was the RD at Tooting yesterday - she'd been there. 
    Well done Jay - that's a huge amount of climb for a 10K!
    Well done on that 18, Hazel...guess you're still doing P&D then! A very decent 10K too.

So Ealing Half today, and I was reminded why I really enjoy this race (which I last did in 2016) - the community support is terrific. I knew the first three miles were mainly uphill (nothing steep, but an overall net gain) so kept my pace in check until the downhill mile 4. After that I decided not to look at my watch and run by feel. I actually enjoyed the race - fed off the support and smiled like Kipchoge. It was a little tougher towards the end but after 8 miles or so I was passing more people than being passed, which is a big improvement over Big Half and Richmond. I came in at 2:03:54 official, so I'm still over two hours but the main thing is that I enjoyed the race and didn't feel like I was about to die at any point.

How I've managed to go from a sub-4 marathoner too a 2+ HMer in a relatively short amount of time is another matter, though I don't think it has anything to do with my heart. I think I've just lost a lot more fitness than I realised. The reason I had such bad races at the last two was because I expected I would be able to run a sub-2 and set out at that pace, then blew up and spent the rest of the race suffering.
    I'm close to the weight I was at Yorkshire, so I know it's not that...the difference I am seeing from my watch data, though, is in cadence and stride length (average cadence today was 175 whereas it's been 180+ for my fastest half marathons). Stride length wasn't too much shorter, but all those centimetres add up over long distances.

So I think what I need is more of the boring stuff: strength, mobility and drills.
  • Very good 10ks from Jay and Hazel.

Cal, great that you enjoyed the event. After all , this is the main objective, although, of course the level of enjoyment correlates with performance. Well done anyway.

My own 10k experience today wasn't great. Brace yourself for the excuses:

- fast 5k yesterday
    - flu jab yesterday and didn't get much sleep as my arm was sore
    - no hill training for months
    - I just don't like x-country!

Anyway I managed 50.26 but finished in what Mrs JB called 'considerable distress'. This was largely due to a brute of a hill leading to the finish line. A frustrating issue was that we were running with 5k runners on the same course and when I was being picked off by faster runners, I couldn't tell which event they were in. (The standard of the field wasn't strong, but the local triathlon cub descended en masse.) 

• Well glad the blood tests were normal, Cal, although I think the parameters they use may be "medically normal" but may still mean you're deficient. When I had mine done I shared them with my physio who picked up that my Vitamin B levels could do with a boost. Well done on the Ealing half result, glad you finished it with a smile.

Welcome dave and you're right the pacing signs are very useful. Or would have been if I'd been standing next to the right one. Have you done any others in Brighton?

Glad to see you're getting out, swittle, even if you have broken your neighbour. Enjoy the new runners.

Getting close to Newport 10K then hamster? Always nice to throw off the convention of training and just go with the feel of things.

Welcome jay and that is some climbing you've done there. Congrats for not letting the hills beat you. Anything you feel in the legs you can smile about knowing you got up them.

That is a fantastic 10K time, Hazelnut, even if it is a solo training error. I'm very jealous. Hopefully the legs don't feel it too much today.

Well done on the very quick PR, john, although commiserations on the 10K. And all very reasonable excuses. Which one was it? I know when I've done combined distance races it does get very confusing as to who is doing what.

Normal two runs as I still manage the calf. Saturday was PR at Hove Park. On Thursday I thought my legs felt quite strong after a not too heavy week. However Thursday night I stayed up at Heathrow for a company meal and may have had one or two drinks. Which meant come Friday I wasn't feeling too great and Saturday morning had a massive reflux episode at 3am which curtailed my sleep. So Hove had planned to be a slow run. However, partner's birthday last week and she wore her new Nike Next% which after a sedate start she started to bounce around the course like a gazelle. There is a disagreement as to who was setting the pace, I say she was, she says I was. suffice to say it was a touch quicker than I'd planned and by the last lap and hill I was in a rhythm and drew away. On the downhill stretch I thought I heard the distinct sound her feet make as they slap on the tarmac (she did confirm she got within 5m of me) and so put the sprint in. Said sprint took me past a number of runners including pipping someone just before the line, who promptly jumped ahead of me in the queue. I was too polite (or too knackered) to complain.

Sunday was our last really big run before the Brighton half. We'd been out the night before to celebrate said birthday (steak restaurant in Kemp Town that was our absolute favourite, but they've now changed it and it's gone downhill) and parked the car just off the seafront. So ran from the house down to Hove and headed west along the seafront to the lagoon and then turned back heading towards Brighton. Conversation was shall we do 12 miles (original plan) or 2 hours. As we went past Madeira Drive we decided to do 20K carrying on past the marina and on the undercliff path. Slightly over20K as we ran all the way back to the car. The pace was good, nothing too onerous, and we finished before the rain started. Conditions were nigh on perfect and far too much to hope it'll be like that in two weeks. At least the calf seemed to hold up well.
  • G'dog, that sounds like an epic Parkrun.  Are you and your partner generally that close? And over all distances? That could make for some tense journeys to (and from) races! My son and I are now quite close - he beat me by 20 seconds on Saturday, but we ran side-by -side for most of the race. He knows I've got no sprint. Have a good taper for the Brighton HM. Let's hope they get the course the right length!

Pretty stiff today, so been on the rower doing one minute on/one minute off intervals at a stupidly ambitious pace (for me).
  • John, it's one of those relationships where I think we work off each other when we're running. I'm certainly, by and large, quicker over anything up to 10K. So for WSFRL races I generally beat her. But she has this doggedness beyond that where she refuses to give in (unless it involves a hill), so I would say she's better on longer distances. For HMs we tend to try to pull each other along. She does get a bit impatient at the beginning of races, especially if she feels she's being slowed down, and will push the pace and I'm left with a choice to try to stay with her or run my own pace. I'm more patient and will look to grow into a run more, however I can be a bit anal about pacing and if I feel it's too quick my mind starts to play tricks.

Where she's good is that she has this almost imperceptible increase in pace on longer distances which I still haven't figured out. So she's been able to push on and drop me, i.e. The Great Eastern or Barns Green where she finished some 10 mins ahead of me. Where I've done best is where I've started steadily and then wound it up, i.e. Chiswick where she decided she was going for a sub 1:55 and hared off, whereas I ran steadily and caught her by mile 9. Where we've both run best is when we pull each other round, as we did at Goodwood.

The thing is that although we're competitive it's in a good way as it pushes both of us to improve. And we do delight in the other doing well regardless of how we might have done personally. Having said that I'm miffed that now she's gone up an age band I am not going to beat her on the age grading :D

Hopefully the stiffness is easing off.
  • GD Newport is 24th Oct so close. Certainly flat as much follows the river. At least I can just bus down to that and make sure I'm nice and early this time

I wish my wife was like that. She used to run and could easily push out 25m 5k's but just fell out of love. I don't find it that difficult to push myself but sometimes having that someone to pull you along would be great. Good interest to do together as well...

Other news just signed up for the Weston Super Half next March... Aim break my 1hr 56m PB
  • I bet that's a great half, DH...it finished on the pier doesn't it?
    That sounds like a good running relationship, GD.
    John, I never have any sprint either. I leave it all out there on the course so by the time I'm in sight of the finish, there's not a lot left.

5 miles for me this morning...saw the sunrise, which was pleasantly pink for the short amount of time that it lasted. I decided to concentrate on cadence so ended up a bit quicker than I normally would for an easy run, though I was never out of breath.
    Having said that, I have a bit of a niggle in one of the tendons on the front of my left hip. My hamstring was really pretty grumpy during Ealing and I suspect I may have overused the quads to pull my leg through the gait cycle as the hams and glutes weren't working as well as the should (this is just a theory). 
    I am hoping it'll ease off but will take a bit of extra rest if it doesn't sort itself out.
    Went to the gym a bit later - just upper body stuff. It's a little distressing how much weaker I am now compared to how I was when I was focussed on lifting, but them's the breaks, I guess. My heaviest set on bench press is what I used to warm up with.  D
  • dangeroushamsterdangeroushamster ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Yes it does Cal. I used to visit WSM every weekend as a kid as my parents had a caravan so a bit of nostalgia for me on this one...

It's hard not to look back at what you used to do and compare. I remember bench pressing a decent weight although I've also been a small sparrow like weed, far from that now... although still a sparrow

Bit of extra rest and a bag of peas of all areas will help ! I always hurt in my calves so bought cold compression sleeves I use after a run, quick cold shock really seems to make a difference
  • G'dog, that sounds like a pretty healthy level of competition! 

Cal/Hamster yes, I'm afraid the weights also begin to suffer with age. I think it's our old friend muscle loss. You have to really fight against it but of course ultimately it's a losing battle. (But of course that's no excuse for giving up, eh?)

Monday and Tuesday were rest days for me after Sunday's exertions, but today I got back in the saddle and knocked 6 seconds off my PB for a nasty hill (about 0.8km) that I've not done for a while. Then repeated the torture with 10 x hill repeats (shorter hill this time). Hard work, but kind of enjoyable. 
  • John, there's a bit of that, indeed, though in my 20s and 30s I used to actively train to be as hench as possible but there came a point when my tendons took exception to the heavy weights and I started to do more functional training. Problem was, that bored me and I found a new way to push myself to my limit with running, so lifting took a back seat.

Anyway, 6 miles this morning, although I overslept until 6.30am which meant waiting for 9am to go out (to avoid the school run and rush hour). Was a nice day by that point, but not warm.
  • Another 6 today, which I did earlier...around 6.20am when I went out. I thought it ought to be getting almost light by then but it took about three miles before I could see the pavements properly so I stuck to main roads initially, which are a bit better lit. Didn't worry about pace but found, after two days making an effort to pick up my cadence a bit, that I naturally settled around 175 (aside from the slow first mile). 
    Hip was a little niggly again but warmed up...I suspect it may have reacted to a leg abduction exercise we did in yesterday's pilates class. Tomorrow is a rest day so hopefully it'll calm down again.
    Anyway, that 6 means I've hit 1000 miles for the year. Last year I ran 2020 miles, but given I've spent most of the first half of this year injured, I'm rather pleased to get to 1000 this month.
  • Well done in Ealing Cal - very pleased to see you enjoyed the race.  Quite a few bumps and wiggles on the route too.  Do you have any more races coming up? Interesting regarding cadence.  I tend to hit around 180, when I get tired running fast (HM to 10k pace) I tend to end up scrabbling along at around 200 though as I can't keep my stride length.  Hope your hip appreciates the rest day tomorrow and calms down again.  Well done on hitting the 1000 miles.  

Ouch - sounds like that was a tough 10k course JB - not really PB material.  Good time!  Well done on the hills too.

Like the parkrun duell GD.  And a solid long run on Sunday to back it up.  You have an ideal running partner there.  I struggle to get my OH out at all - he has annoyed me in the past though in our local 10 miler - I spent weeks training for it and he only went out a few times and was only around 15 seconds slower.  Don't think he could do it at the moment though.

Nice to have goal for next year already DH.  Did I spot a four legged companion on some strava pics?  Is that yours?  

I suffered a bit after my hard 10k - I rather stupidly decided to do a rather hilly LR the next day - would have been better off doing a flat one.  Just scraped a 16 miler.  I also had a day off on Monday and did quite a lot of hilly hiking which I am not currently used to - cue rather achy legs for a couple of days so took it fairly easy.  Until today's speed session - 4 x 1200m.  The 1200m reps felt much further than last times 1000m ones and as usual I did the first a bit too hard and struggled on the last.  Good conditions though - sunny but not overly warm and in particular little wind.  
  • Hazel, my race cadence is usually 180 or more...at 5K pace or faster then it gets into silly territory. In training it's usually 170s. But I noticed in my last few races (as well as training runs) that it had dropped which is why I'm making more of an effort to pick it back up again. My stride length is pathetic so I need to run at an insane cadence to be competitive. :lol:
  • john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Cal, 1000 miles so far is pretty damn good, esp with the 'challenges' you've had this year. On the cadence and stride length data, that's interesting. I wouldn't have the first clue about mine. All I know is that I've got 2 running modes: the shuffle and the super shuffle.

Hazel, 4 x 1200m sounds brutal! Isn't it funny how you can o sessions like this (an harder) and then find that hiking can make your muscles ache? I know that when I go for group walks with my fogey friends (and I'm the youngest), that I struggle to keep up with some of them. But put them in a run and they'd be really struggling after about 15 metres. Now is the time to get that OH out in a head-to-head then!

Brutal wind for today's parkrun. My heart sunk when I saw the conditions. However, in the event it was a cross wind. Times were slower across the board - including mine at 21.14. Just missed out on the 80% AG, but still managed the 2nd best in the field. Even more encouraging was that despite the wind I felt great during the run. I can only put this down to last week's horribly hard 10k and then a hill session in midweek.
  • Well I certainly messed myself up yesterday. Went to the gym for a bit of upper body work and promptly pulled something in my side/back area (obliques/TVA/QL...take your pick) doing a set of cleans with the weight I normally use. I guess I just picked up the bar a bit awkwardly this time. :(

Since then, my side/back has been very uncomfortable. It's not bad when I move but I groan every time I turn over in bed or have to reach for something.

Of course that wasn't going to stop me going to my planned parkrun, Dartford Heath, since I'd bought the train tickets and wasn't going to waste them. 

Dartford Heath is a bit further from the station than Dartford, which I did in August...the website said 2 miles but it was 1.5. I'd planned to run there and back, so decided to try that and how well I managed would then dictate whether I attempted to run the parkrun or walk around with the Tail Walker at the back.
    As it was, I managed to break into an uncomfortable little shuffle and got myself there OK, albeit slowly.
    Dartford Heath is a small parkrun (usually less than 100 people) with no amenities as it's on a basically wild bit of land. The course is almost all trail with a couple of short concrete bits, a lot of tree roots and some puddles. I'd been debating whether I could get away with road shoes but decided on trail to be safe, and was very glad of that. 

Once we started it took me a while to get running properly but my side/back seemed to ease a little and I was able to pick up the pace a bit. Stride length was definitely affected so I had to make up for that with cadence...good job I've been practising! I finished in 28:15 which I was happy with given I figured it'd be a miracle if I got under 30 minutes. Found out when I got home I was also 2nd lady and first in my age category (I was not the only one...the area seems to have an older demographic and vets outnumbered youngsters). The first lady was a young and fast one...ran around 22 minutes so I wouldn't have caught her even if I'd been on my very best form. So second is good.

The jog back to the station started OK but I could definitely feel my ham tendon more (the side I pulled is on the same side, unfortunately) and I was limping a little bit when I stopped. Not ideal. An Epsom salt bath helped once I'd got home, but I'll take a few days off anyway to let it heal up a bit.
  • You shuffle quite quickly though JB. I generally don't put too much effort into analyzing my data other than a glance and maybe a few thoughts about how it felt compared to the data.  I have a running group mate who would have no chance on a flat stretch against me but I'm pretty sure he would win on a longer speed hike up a hill.  Another great Wava result in not so easy conditions.

Ouch Cal, sounds nasty. Hope it won't put you out for long. Good parkrun nonetheless.

Local 10m for me yesterday.I was tired still after the speedwork and it took a while for me to get going. I did try to pick up the pace a bit for a couple of miles towards the end to train the head and legs to get on with it when tired which went okay. A nice new bench has been installed about a km down a field track next to a small fountain, must go and test sit it, might be a good peace and quiet spot.
  • Comfy enough recovery 4 miles on Saturday. It is now hunting season (deer, Mon., Wed., Sat.) so I made sure I was identifiable as a non-deer with a bright yellow T-shirt. On a very minor road and didn't see any activity anyway.

Today a tough LSR, 21.8 miles. Likely my last big long run pre mara. Kept the pace sensible to get round in a decent state which worked well. Didn't hydrate well though and got thirsty, downing quite a bit of water at the last two stops. Need to make sure I drink properly in the race! Didn't meet a single other runner which is unusual for a Sunday.  
  • Cal, ouch! That course doesn't sound like one I'll e heading to, especially as I recall your report about the one nearby which sounded a bit faster. Nice to get any sort of win though isn't it? You earned it! Hope you get mended soon.

Hazel, all sounding good for your marathon. From a distance it sounds as though your preparation - hydration notwithstanding! - has been exemplary. How are you during the week leading up to a marathon? Do you get a bit restless? Do you get ratty with idiots asking you silly questions?

Did a 8k easy paced run (but still horrible) yesterday (I had too many layers on). Saw quite a few 'virtual' VLM runners. Looked up the results of the pukka event and saw that someone in my age group, VM65, was under 3 hours. I'd have to catch a bus to be that fast. (No insinuation intended!)
  • Cal, sounds like a slight sprain of some sort. I had something similar 2 weeks or so back (pun intended) which took around a week to heal but was ok with some easy runs rather than going all out. Tip from a physio, if it hurts you are not doing it good so stop, if you can warm up and it goes carry on...

John, I dream of times that low good work...

Hazel, Agree with John your prep work has been nothing short of perfection. That is indeed the new 4 legged housemate, now I need to wait 8 more months at least to get him running...

The wifes birthday, torrential rain, work and general daily demands mean I hadn't run in 3 days but managed a 10k last night which was a great stress relief based on weekends escapades. I split the run into 4x2.5k and tried keeping my HR below 150, 155, 160 & 165 for each section which worked really well. Happy with a sub-53m for a training run. Felt strong at the end too... Lets see what today brings
  • Funny you say that John. I went for a little walk yesterday...started off cursing and limping a bit but when I got up to the common I saw a woman with a virtual London number on, walking. She was about my age so I started chatting to her and ended up walking 10 miles and for 3 hours! Made a new friend! 
    I wasn't too bad after that...I managed a trip to the gym with a couple of miles either side of that, 45 mins on the elliptical and some rehab. Side/back seems to be improving but I'm concerned about the hip/ham tendon as it feels similar to how it did in Feb when I needed a lot of time off. Kind of hoping that's not the case this time. :(
  • Hamster, well done. I've never used HR training but I know some people swear by it. Would you actually monitor you HR in a race?

Cal, I did a 10k on the Concept 2 yesterday. I now realise why I run: I practically drowned in sweat. Ellipticals are meant to be really good for rehab, I think? (I won one once in a competition. It took up rather a lot of space I recall.)

7k today. A reasonably quick 5k (22:55), followed by a rather quicker 1k (3:55 - with the wind) and a slower 1K (5 minutes - into the wind). Looking ahead the  weekend forecast hear at least looks pretty good for my 5k (Saturday)/10k (Sunday) double.