My Last Run

Comments

• john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Good that you are on the verge of returning. The 'Jeffing' option sounds sensible. A new term for me - but I know the structured walk/run combo is an established technique, especially for longer runs. Indeed, it's something most of us end up doing in marathons and I'm sure that it would be prudent to opt for for it deliberately. For one thing it's meant to radically improve post event soreness. Well done for supporting JPR. I go along most weeks to cheer on my little granddaughter. She's by no means a natural, but has managed to get her times down from 20+ to 14 minutes or so. My god some of us would kill for that sort of percentage improvement. Good luck for your parkrun. (I'm dog-sitting on Saturday so will be a non-player.)

Hamster, well done mate! It's great to get a result and makes all the training worth the effort. I think you can use this as a platform for pushing faster 5ks. I'm sure that a couple of hard 10ks in recent week have done this for me - but I've got a bit lazy of late and am doing nasty little interval sessions, which are a different sort of pain...........

..............today I shall be running...........a nasty little set of hill intervals.

• dangeroushamsterdangeroushamster ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    A 14 minute 5k, she sounds like a natural to me ! Most of us wouldn't just kill for that type of percentage gain, I'd kill to get below 20 minutes at the minute... That's fantastic 

Yeah it's a real big boost when you've worked for something for a long time and really see the gains. Newport just fell into place and I couldn't have asked for better prep'

Not run in last 2 days but I have to take a club run session tonight for 5k then I'm doing another 10k session around 30 mins after that finishes :s 

No more races planned until March now, might sneak one in for February so might take it easy through November and let the body recover - been quite a hard pushed 4 months

Good luck with the hills John, I both love & hate those sessions - I'm also due one
  • john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Hamster, if only: Junior Parkrun is only 2k! Your target events are few and far between. Is this deliberate or has Covid simply decimated the number of races? There are very few in my area between now and early Spring. But there's always Parkrun. You must have quite a few in your area?
  • First time I've ever really entered any type of race John. I've just been planning the next with a target and set of training. Nothing more than that...

There are no more races this side of Christmas around this area though. Next is February for a 10k but tbh I have a planned 1/2 now in March so that will be my next target...

I took the local club on 2 session last night, easy 6.5k and then a 10k around 40 mins later. My body didn't like that 
  • Ha ha yes...the fastest guys in my club are around 14:40...if a little girl could do that then she'd be Olympic material!
    DH, where abouts are you based? Being in London, I could do a race a week if I wanted...although at present I'm far from race fit.
    As I'm still getting some SI joint pain (it's worst when I'm in bed - I find it hard to find a comfy position) I decided to avoid running until today. Kept with the same distance (5K) but upped the interval to 4 mins run/1 walk. Still hoping to do parkrun Saturday (will keep it slow and may stick with jeffing) but I think the Alton Towers half mid-November is a bit unlikely unless I make a dramatic improvement. 
  • Cal - good luck if you do a PR tomorrow. As you've got so many to choose from, a tip from me: I'd avoid  muddy one.

No PR for me tomorrow: I'm looking after my son's puppy. And she's not the sort you could take on a run of any sort, yet alone a busy PR.

Happy weekend running!
  • Grr - went on holiday, injury scare and didn't post since.  Need to catch up but am currently distracted by Bruno the Beagle on Instagram (cute!) So what has been going on?... (starts reading back..)
  • Certainly some speedy running by JB - well done on your 10k - did you get to stand on a podium for your age group placing?  You could take the dog with you to parkrun on Saturday?

Well done also for the 1000m+ for 2021 DH.  And of course for your 10k too, you can likely take quite a chunk off of that time, especially if you were able to speed up like that over the last 2k.  Good idea to take a few easy weeks now if you aren't racing until Feb/March and have worked hard on your running the last few months.   

Welcome to mils and parmos   

Good to see Cal hopefully on the comeback from injury path.  The jeffing approach looks like a good idea.

I'm now 2 days out from my marathon and I'm still feeling pretty laid back, that will probably change tomorrow though.  I have a goal in mind - well any sort of PB would be nice - but am also happy to be able to get to the start line as I had an injury scare. A fairly standard mountain hike on holiday left me hobbling a few days. I haven't done too much walking in pretty rigid soled boots in the last months and ended up with a very sore tendon across the front of my shin - the one you use to flex up your toes - think using a clutch.  Broke the streak - was planning on doing this post marathon anyway so no big deal and took a few days off of running.  Seems I got away with it as it healed fast so I only really lost a week of training and my last long run and was able to get back to the standard taper.

Last run was Wednesday - a 7 mile with 2m @MP in the middle.  I didn't get out as early as planned due to a meeting being dropped on me by my boss (grrr - I told him off - I mean running is important!) and it was as good as dusk by the time I got going and dark by the end.  I did at least get the faster bit done in decent light.  Nice view of a pinkish sunset over the Jura hills with a foreground of bands of mist rising over the fields.   

• Newport based Cal, hence my last 10k was pretty easy for me to get to. Even visited places I'd never been...

Good to have you Back Hazel. I thought it looked like you'd picked up some sort of injury but glad to see your over it. That much training, that much effort to do something like that would be heart breaking. I got worried about a sniffle... Should have seen Bruno after his riverbank walk today - mud everywhere. He didn't appreciate the hose pipe on return

Looks like it could very well be my first Parkrun tomorrow. No big runs planned for the weekend so perfect opportunity to run a few PRs. Tredegar park is not the best terrain but will aim for a 25m. The riverfront is apparently a very fast course so might try that in a few weeks as well... See what that 10k training has done
  • Good luck Hazelnut!
    I saw your parkrun on Strava, DH...well done. It's addictive, let me tell you.

Speaking of which, my own return to parkrun today was pretty successful. I'd decided I was only going to go up the road to Tooting (my home run but I've not actually run it for nearly 3 years) and I was glad about that as it was raining. Even though it's primarily a paved course, with one dirt track that doesn't get too muddy, there's a skinny path that gets covered in dirt and puddles so I decided to go with trail shoes to minimise my chances of slipping. I was glad of it too.
    One of my clubmates was there - she's coming back from a broken foot - so I thought I might try to run with her. I thought I'd try to jog around without stopping but was fully prepared to Jeff it if needed. As it was, I didn't need it and I was faster than I thought (despite the puddles muddy bits), coming in at just under 30 minutes. My poor clubmate couldn't keep up.
    I guess those boring elliptical sessions did me some good as I've not lost too much fitness, it seems. Alton Towers half may be back on!
  • Good start to parkrunning indeed DH.

And a good return to parkrunning Cal: good news you were able to run all the way around and in a good time.  Hopefully no discomfort now afterwards.

Double recovery yesterday evening with a few strides and this morning 5.6 miles and 3.75 miles.  Yesterday's had a sprinkling of strides which I was glad of as my legs felt heavy and unmotivated after Friday's rest day.  Good to get out this morning before the rain started.  Now working through a longish to do list containing exciting things such as writing my number on my drop bag and getting tomorrow's dinner out of the freezer. Setting an alarm would also be a good idea - early start but fortunately the clocks go back so not quite as dramatic.  

Have a good weekend!
  • Hazel, looking forward to your race report.................(if you've got the energy left to logon).

DH, hope you did the parkrun and enjoyed as much as I think you will.

Cal, welcome back to running. I detect some real optimism, which is great after the rough time you've had.

My news is that I've crocked myself. Not in training, running or any of the slightly odd exercise routines. No, this was incurred whilst 'racing' my 4 year old grandson up and down his house on hardwood floors and n no footwear. Result = a heel that is so tender that I can't put any weight on it i.e. hobbling mode. Hello ice-pack my old friend.

PS  and he kept winning too!
  • Ouch JB - sorry to hear that!  Hope the ice pack gives speedy relief.  

Mara went a bit pear-shaped I'm afraid - plenty of energy but suffered from leg issues early on and did a lot of run-walking in the second half so I could finish at all.  Something like a 17 min. PW.

Report - copied across from the daily thread and long - not much really about the actual running though I'm afraid.  I sat for a while and looked at the GPS trace and couldn't find much to write about that bit.  Sorry about the km distances

I mostly followed the P&D up to 55 miles 18 week plan. I started with week 2 however and did quite a few of my tempo runs and longer MP runs as races running mostly to the appropriate paces. Streaking meant a higher mileage and I also got stuck into longer MLR runs from the outset as I was doing those distances pre-plan anyway and didn't see any point in dropping down the distance.

Training went ok until October holidays, I had a spare week in my schedule so used this during my holiday week – primarily planning on doing fairly short flat runs and then returning to do the taper for racing on 31st. October. I picked up a hiking injury during the holiday but was lucky that that healed quickly – I only missed one final long run of 16 miles.

I felt pretty laid back going into the race only really preparing the day before for such things as the journey to Lucerne – a combination of car to a convenient P&R and then train into the city but I have enough race experience to know what I need.

It was an early start on race day with getting up at 4:30 am but with the clocks going back that felt more like 5:30 am so not quite as bad as it might sound. Quick tea and coffee and food for the kitties and out of the door – breakfast being consumed in the car on the way with OH doing excellent chauffeuring.

The journey went fine – I arrived in plenty of time for a nose around the event HQ. With several thousand participants (10k, HM, mara) you needed a covid certificate to take part (tested, vaxxed or had it already) and had a time slot to turn up and do a check in, bag drop and start. With so many people expected I was a bit worried about big queues but everything went smoothly.

Conditions were quite cool still (next to the lake) but sunnier than expected and it was difficult to decide what to wear – I overdressed a bit with armsleeves and a t-shirt under my vest but due to my speed (or lack of) in the second half of the race it didn't matter.

Start was a queue with 4 lanes of runners starting every 2 seconds which worked well enough with the queue moving forward quickly. The HM started soon after the marathon and I was overtaken by the faster runners. With people running according to a chosen start slot rather than an expected finish time there was quite a mix of paces on the route but enough space for everyone I felt. I was initially overtaking myself but later being overtaken a lot and didn't feel overly stressed in either situation.  I noticed quite a few runners in those fancy carbon plate shoes run quite loudly, slapping the tarmac so you can hear them arriving from behind..

The course is near to but mostly not right next to the lake – sometimes scenic, sometimes just a typical city marathon. One set of undulations and an incline on each lap, a run through the local football club's stadium and the foyer of the big concert hall and starting and finishing at the national transport museum a couple of miles outside of the city.

Only water and a sports drink were offered so I carried my own gels. Plan was to take one to fit the water stations at 8k, 15k, 21.1k, 29k and 35k. First two gels went down as planned but I somehow didn't work out that the 21.1.k would be behind the finish and didn't get to water to wash down number three until 25k but I was already slowing so no stress for the stomach / digestion. I took a fourth gel at around 30 k as I knew I would be out on the course for another hour at least and was feeling a bit hungry but didn't bother with a fifth.

Spectator turnout was decent – Lucerne attracts quite a few tourists anyway and it was a pleasant Sunday. I haven't been around so many people in around 18 mths so it was a bit of a shock and I got a bit fed up of the regular screeching of "hopp-hopp". I thought you go and "hopp-hopp" around a mara yourself a few times. There were a few music groups, I did like the drumming group and the alp horns.

I don't know really what to write about the actual running to be honest- I set off on the course a few minutes earlier than my alloted time having reached the head of the queue. First 1k was a bit fast 4:39. I slowed a bit and then promptly found that I was actually struggling to find my usual stride pattern and even more to hit a pace that I would normally have no issues with and certainly not at the beginning of a race. I hadn't done much of a warm-up so thought hmm – keep going and it will improve. It didn't and realistically I should have backed off the pace earlier instead of struggling to the HM point and would likely have had an easier 2nd lap and run more  As it was I had noticeably sore quads / hips from km 4 already in both legs. Both lifting my legs and pushing off of my back foot hurt. It wasn't the sort of fatigue pain you might expect at some point in a long race, and certainly not that early. The level of discomfort was manageable on most of the first lap but definitely grew considerably worse from about 2k into the second. I saw my OH at around this point (dumping some bits of clothing at his feet) and said that I felt pretty crap. At this point I was already behind all of my potential targets but I kept going nonetheless as I wanted to try to finish having waited some 18mths to do another marathon and after all those weeks of of training. There was soon no point in stopping and walking back as the loop took us far enough away that doing so would have been just as far as keeping going and would have involved going over the hill the course went around. I started regular walking breaks as of km 25, in particular through the water stations. Most of 17K like that is a long way but my energy levels were fine it was more of a struggle to get my head around it. I did at least manage to slow jog the last 2 or so km to the finish without a walk. Over the line trying to think as little as possible and through to OH for a hug and a few wimpy tears. Bag collection was done quickly and after a snack we started the journey home.

Immediate recovery now will be about getting rid of this leg issue whatever it is. I have no idea at the moment what caused it. I didn't run an all-out marathon yesterday that I will need several weeks to recover from otherwise but the racing season is as good as over here until late February so I might as well follow a marathon recovery plan for now. With Corona definitely not over it is hard to predict what might happen anyway.

5k splits from GPS (distance measured 42.56)

24:35, 24:30, 24:38, 24:07, 25:53, 29:28, 32:59, 32:16, 14:58 (remaining 2 and a bit), overall watch time 3:53:21. Doesn't look dramatic but it hurt – quite a lot – for quite a long time which wasn't what I thought I should expect at all.

• Hazel, Sounds like you had a hard time during that one. It's extremely frustrating when things like this happen against all your perfect preparation however you still put in an exceptional time ! Battled through pain and physiologically you will be far stronger for the next one. I wonder if you walking injury had not fully healed. 

I too found it very strange being around people a few months ago for a different race after being hidden away for so long. I lost that feeling quite quickly but the rona picking up over here - they are hoping this is peak.

Cal, Good to see you off running again !

John, hope you are healing well 

First Parkrun indeed done, it was quite muddy, shale paths and tight to get around people so in the end happy with what I got. I'm at a brewing conference this weekend in London so will get another quick PR in this Saturday hopefully...

10k last night in pitch black and freezing cold. Glad to be back out doing something after a very quiet last week
  • Hazel, Marathons are a bit of a mystery. There are so many variables. A sub 4 in the is still pretty respectable (and would be something I'd aspire to). But I can feel your frustration and the split pretty much tell the story. I hope you have a good recovery - mental and physical and aren't too hard on yourself.

Hamster, a brewing conference might be just too tempting. As Cal will (as our resident London correspondent) confirm that there are tons to chose from. The weather looks good for Saturday - so enjoy!

My foot looks like a classic case of Plantar Fasciitis. It's a bugger but I'm hitting it with ice and using an orthotic. I've had a bit of a golden year, so if I couldn't run again until 2022, I'd be pleased with what I've done this year - so 'mustn't grumble'.
  • DH, if you need any London parkrun recommendations, let me know!
    I'm sorry you had a bad race, Hazel...(I'd be thrilled with that time but then I'm not you)...I've had the same issue with my last few races, unable to reach a pace I thought was achievable. I guess the last year has affected some of us more than we thought.

I didn't feel good when I woke up (just groggy and slight scratchy throat) but still went out for my planned run of 6 miles. It was misty and cold though the sun poked its head out after 4 miles. I kept the pace easy but it did feel a bit more of an effort than I'd have liked - not sure if that's due to me being under the weather, or just fitness lost over the last month. Either way, I got it done and will now rest for the remainder of the day, and probably tomorrow as well.
  • John good attitude ! That's the way I'm seeing it now. I couldn't run HM beginning of the year I now have a respectable PBs at HM, 10k & 5k and brought my easy pace from 6+k/m to 5.40k/m at least. Run how I want to run until new year and then pick it up again...

Cal, take it easy, don't do too much all in one go If it feels sore let it rest...

PR I will be back at Newport. Get that done early, back shower and drive straight down to London. Heading up to Tottenham to Hackney & Wildcard Brewery, Pressure drop around the corner. Been ages since I had a proper day out...
  • Brewing conference sounds interesting DH.  Enjoy!  You have had a great year.  Bit of run as you feel will put you in a good place to start next year.

Good attitude from you also JB, I agree with DH.  Have you tried the roll your foot over a cold bottle of liquid?  Supposed to help apparently. 

Rest sounds good if you aren't feeling great Cal.  Good to see you running though nonetheless.

Thanks for the marathon feedback.  I think I need to write off this year now and hope that next will be better in terms of being able to race properly again but with things as they are I'm not too optimistic for spring and will hold off of signing up for anything.  

After two days of walking I did a gentle recovery run this evening - a bit over 4 miles, to see if things are still working and firmly attached.  Strange not to have had DOMS at all really but 26.2 miles are a long way even if I didn't run all of them and not at any particular speed so will take it easy for a bit.  Left leg feels fine but I could feel the right one again - same discomfort as on Sunday initially but not really pain.   Will monitor that for now.
  • Thanks for the good wishes. I think I'm in for a lengthy period of inaction, so I'll have a bit of a low profile on this thread, esp given it's title. But in the meantime: happy running!
  • Ugh John, I must say that's the one injury I've not had the pleasure of suffering with but, by all accounts, it's a sod to get rid of. Good luck and enjoy the rest.

I went to Sutcliffe Park today, one of the two new parkruns in London I'd not done. It's a flat, paved course and would be perfect for banging out a fast time were I capable, but as it was, I was just under 28 and a half minutes and that felt pretty tough. I had a bad time with reflux which was annoying as I actually had my breakfast at 5:30am. Same thing I normally eat before runs, too. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it...sometimes I can eat and I'm OK and other times I can't. I felt rather sick after the first lap which didn't help at all. Still, 90 seconds faster than my run at Tooting last week, so I'll have to be content with that.
  • Given I'm attempting to do Alton Towers half next weekend, I cranked out a 10 miler this morning. This is the furthest I've gone since the latest injury, and also the first time since that I've run on consecutive days, so it was asking a lot, really. I got it done, though, albeit rather slowly. Hammy was a bit grumpy but considering I did parkrun yesterday, it was a lot better than it had any right to be.
    I did see a lot of vintage cars driving through Streatham so figured it must've been a London to Brighton thing as that road is the one you'd take if heading to Sussex. Checked the web when I got back and turned out I was correct. Really nice to see them, though...back when I was a kid, my friend's dad had an ancient Rolls and took us out in it. He passed a long time ago so I've no idea what became of it.
  • I hope to see you on here again soon JB.

Annoying with the reflux Cal.  Good time improvement though.  Also good that you got the 10m done - should give you the confidence to get round Alton Towers.  Nice to see the cars - my granddad had a Riley until the late Eighties - he had to sell it when he was getting to old to do the mechanics himself.

Two runs for me in the meantime - on Friday and Sunday - 5.4 and 6.5 miles.  Feel ok runningwise in the meantime.  I did do a 10m walk yesterday on top with quite a bit of ascent and descent and was tired after that.  Not too much mileage again this week but will start to rebuild up to around 40m weeks. (16 last week).
  • Come back and visit John, hopefully it won't take you long !

I've seen a few of your runs Cal certainly looks like you are getting better which his great news. I suspect AT is very much in view and achievable at the minute

Another Parkrun in the bank for me but really struggling with time at the minute to get out and do anything. Had 2 low running weeks now so keen to get a few long ones in. Problem is late nights, wind and rain :(

I've actually come to the conclusion I'll sell one of my motorbikes which will net me some cash and space in the garage to purchase a decent running machine. Dark nights, rain, snow, child minding and time not so much of an issue then - I suspect if I do go for a marathon next year it will also come in very handy when I can't go out so get runs into the legs !
  • I'll be able to get around, DH...just slowly. 
    I must admit I'd rather deal with wind and rain than run on the dreadmill - the being outdoors bit is what helps clear my head.

5 miles this morning - weather forecast said grey skies but it was gorgeous - pink sunrise and clear skies after. Quite mild, too, so I was back in a T-shirt.
  • I went out and run a local hill loop last night and put way too many layers on ! Running tights, tight top, t-shirt and a light running long sleeve top... I was baking

It's gone really mild again ! 

Problem for me Cal is whilst if I get the opportunity to run outside I will but sometimes I just can't as looking after the child for example. Gives me the additional option
  • Sounds like a plan with the dreadmill DH.  I've only ever run on one once for 5 miles and was bored within minutes.  I guess it is a case of getting used to it though and if the alternative is not running at all....
    Could you not have dumped the extra layers in a heap somewhere on your loop and then collected them? 

Nice to have better than expected conditions Cal. 

Group run for me yesterday evening - I was surprised to be able to motivate 3 others to go out in the dark and cold (hat and gloves needed).  Nice crescent moon to look at though.  6.5 miles.
  • Another 6.6 miles yesterday late afternoon.  Good job I remembered the hi-viz and head torch as it was pretty dark by the time I had finished.  My village is pretty quiet trafficwise but doesn't have any pavements so like to be visible.   Bit quicker than other post-mara runs without overdoing it.  I also put in a sprinkling of strides at the end to get the legs turning over nicely.   
    I've signed up for a 10k at the end of the month to have something to look forward to - fairly local - laps and undulating so not a PB course and I'm not in shape for that anyway.  Anywhere around the time I ran 3 years ago would be nice.
  • Careful with those non-pavemented road Hazel ! Better to wear some reflective elements on your clothing as well as the high viz apparently 

Managed a 10k local club run. Guy who planned in doing a trial HM in a month so went with hills. My legs took a fair amount of punishment but way better than the same route previously...
  • DH...makes sense. I guess said child is too big for a buggy then, eh?
    Hazel, hope it goes well for you.

6 miles today - lovely autumnal morning. Threw a few strides into the last mile. Feel rather unfit but that's to be expected after yet another lay-off. Never mind.
    Off to Manchester tomorrow evening - will do a parkrun there and then Alton half on the Sunday (which I will take at a more leisurely pace as I intend to enjoy the rollercoasters after).
  • Have a nice weekend Cal and good luck with the HM.

Two running rest days for me - did some walking and cycling. 

Today 7.4m with 3 others from my Tuesday group. Quite a few don't run in the winter in the dark i.e. on Tuesday evening so I offered to coordinate a Saturday am outing. That took a bit of work to try to get everyone out of the fog but meeting up en route worked surprisingly well. Up the hill in hopes of escaping the murk but that climbed with us so only a few minutes of sun. Short break to climb the 45m tower at the top of the hill, not much of a view but autumn woods immediately around were also very nice.