My Last Run

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    My mum said that too. Her dad (my grandad...though he died before I was born) was a sailor.
    Feeling a bit at sea myself. Just didn't feel right today...quite stiff and sore (I guess from parkrun) and low on energy. Tried going for a run but called it quits at three miles. Actually felt worse after rather than better.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Neglecting the thread again.  Not so great to come back and read that everyone is a bit errm meh at the moment.

Good idea to have a plan to follow DH.  Hope things pick up for you soon with races looming.

Same to Cal.  Combination of 1 mile and 10k sounds pretty ouchy hard!  I have never run a mile in anger though so I don't know how much impact that would have on a 10k.  I can imagine the other way around would be very tough if you race the 10k all out.

Please take care of that hammy JB. 

Overall a decent week of training for me - peak mileage week (62) and I'm looking forward to reducing that now.  Had a tooth out on Tuesday so no really intensive runs and ran Weds to Sunday.  Back to back MLRs on Thursday and Friday - first one hilly and the second one with 2 blocks of MPish pace were hard.  Sunday saw my longest ever run in training - 40k.  I decided to check out the route of my up-coming 50k race (-10k) which is basically around a lake not far from here.  Almost ideal - I can either park about 100m from the start or take the train (5 mins walk).  Anyway: decent route - 3 minor humps and mostly a good mix of well surfaced paths and minor roads.  I ambled around at slightly faster than recovery pace and took a few breaks for faffing around with clothing, food and navigation checks.  Overall time was 4 hours, around 3:44 moving time.  I could have completed a full marathon but had set out with 40k as my goal and didn't want to chalk up a (for me) slow marathon.  I also like a walk after a long long run.  Bit breezy and wet at times and pretty cool - hope we don't have a heat wave in 3 weeks time.
  • Hazel how's that tooth ? Not giving you jip I hope. That 40k around the lake must have been a cracking run

John, hope that hammy is treating you well - chances of a Parkrun this weekend ?

Cal, been on those bad runs and powered through. Defiantly sensible to stop ! 

My body seems to be back to normal last 2 days after Covid. I'm hoping that is true but I'm still behind fitness of HM a few weeks back.

Jumped right back into the hard stuff rightly or wrongly on training. Rest day yesterday and calves still ache a little but big Interval session later. Planned 10k tomorrow may turn out into a rest day. I'd rather do the hard sessions and miss an easy run, again rightly or wrongly...

Organising a club time trial 5k in a few weeks. Everyone aims for a PB time and we'll do a staggered start so in theory everyone finishes more of less at the same time regardless of time/ability. We have a flat up and down path local so we'll pass each other a few times as well for extra motivation - seemed to have got people interested anyhow and have more signed up for this run than any other this year
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    We're all a bit knackered aren't we? Felt a bit better today, though, and got out for 6 miles. Groin still a bit iffy but not too bad. No trouble from the knee.
  • Just have to be careful when chewing anything hard DH thanks.  Good to hear you are feeling better.  The easy runs can be a bit of bore I also find but might help you to recover easier from a harder session.  You will soon get your fitness back. Club time trial sounds like it will be fun. 

Things sound better for you too Cal. 

Standard sort of Tuesday outing yesterday - couple of flat solo miles to check out the legs - felt pretty ok after Sunday's long effort and an easy rest day on Monday.  Then the standard group route with four others, one taking the short cut after around halfway.  I must have run this route a couple of hundred times now - somehow it doesn't bother me.  It is nice to see how the scenery changes over the year - very nice it was yesterday.  A cool but clear evening after rain in the morning. 
  • Local loops yesterday 9.2 miles - not exciting but saves me driving anywhere to flatter ground for a longer loop or out and back.  Each loop is around 2 miles.  I sometimes use this for speed work (tempo runs).  Goal pace yesterday would have been in the 8:40s but I got a bit carried away and ran at an average of 8:19 - ups.  It will be my own fault if I feel tired for today's run.  Nice afternoon again but I wish the wind would drop a bit.  
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done Hazel.
    Another 6 miles today...it was OK but my legs were strangely sore (not your usual DOMS). Not sure why as yesterday's activity was walking 2 miles to Runner's Need with a bag full of shoes for recycling, then 2 miles home again. Nothing too stressful. 
  • Hazel, all sounding good for your upcoming 50k event. Is it the first time you've run that distance? One of the women at my club told me she was doing a 50k in May which much impressed me. I was even more impressed when she said she had a 100k lined up a few weeks later!

Cal, sounds like you are struggling a bit? 

DH, good luck organising the time trial. Sounds like great fun.

Not much going on here this week 
    Did a 30 mile plus bike ride. I found that tough. Also ran a couple of short and sharp hill sessions but very cautiously.
    When I'm crocked for running I default to loony upper body stuff and I bettered my PB for a pull up/press up  routine.
    As well as various running shows on You Tube I'm also a bit addicted to the other fitness stuff. I think I missed my vocation as an army PTI!*

Will turn up at PR tomorrow to test the hammy.....

The standard for the running parts of  the various admissions tests for the military is pretty low. They tend to attract gym monsters!

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I hope hammy is behaving again, John. 

I am struggling a bit, honestly. I did Southall parkrun today (so I'm LonDone again). Felt OK, perfect weather and it's a flat course (maybe a bit too twisty for a really fast time, but still pretty quick especially as it's one that doesn't attract a lot of runners just yet). I was hopeful I could get back under 27 minutes (I did run 26:20 in December) but couldn't manage it. 27:22. My fastest time this year, but can't help but be a bit disappointed. I really need to get rid of that half a stone.
    Park was nice though, and the volunteers were some of the most enthusiastic I've come across.
    On that basis I'm not sure how fast I'll manage the Westminster Mile tomorrow. Probably won't even break 8 minutes.
  • Good idea with the shoes Cal.  I forgot to ask at my standard shop yesterday if they might think about doing similar.  A fastest parkrun this year does sound you are heading in the right direction.  Well done on getting the LonDone again.  Try not to think beforehand that you might not achieve time x, y or z but run as hard as you can.  You never know.  

JB: it is the first time I have done a 50k yes.  Longest so far was a 47k alpine event (with quite a bit of walking over 2 high passes).  The event I am doing is also sold in part as good preparation for a 100k a few weeks later here.  I have my eye on this for in a couple of years time.  Don't know how seriously yet though.  Well done on the cycling - I did 30 myself yesterday - enough as I don't train on the bike.  Will build a bit more distancewise in the summer though.  I sometimes  watch a daily fitness programme on the TV - usually in my pyjamas and drinking a mug of tea though!  Hope the hammy is ok.

I had planned an MLR of around 11-12 miles on Thursday but I should start reducing my mileage so 10 miles instead (chopping a bit off of some runs).  Better pacing discipline this time @ 8:30s.  Today I did a recovery run of just over 4 miles to test my new shoes (Hoka Supersonic) in go-fast orange stripes.  Much better than the pale pink pair I was also offered!
  • Cal, a season's best is pretty good.
    Half a stone requires a bit of work.
    I'm lucky in that respect as if I don't run, I usually shed a couple of pounds. (My brother in law cycled the length of the country averaging 70 plus miles per day and weighed more than he did when he started!)

Hazel, good stuff. The 50km event could well be your ideal 100km preparation. Lost in admiration!

Well, today conditions were perfect and I did a proper warm up and felt great.I went off like a train, and did the first mile in 6.39. Then in the blink of an eye the bloody hammy went again. 

I've got some serious thinking to do!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    John do you do any strength training for it? Because that's the obvious thing if you don't.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    So today was a bit of a step into the unknown...the Vitality Westminster Mile. It's the first standalone mile race I've done, although I did mile relays with my club a couple of times and always enjoyed them.
    My concern today was putting my niggly bits under pressure, especially as I've done precisely no speedwork since Manchester with the exception of parkruns and a crap lot of strides when my knee was hurting. After yesterday's parkrun, I figured I've be doing well to get under 8 minutes.
    Made sure I did my yoga and some stretching before I left the house, and I did a mile in Green Park when I arrived that also included a few drills.
    The start was on the Mall and the route took us around the outside of St James Park before finishing in front of Buckingham Palace.
    There was one adult wave, a lot of family waves and a parkrun wave (plus a couple of others...can't remember what). I was in the adult wave as it was the first to go, so I expected it to be really big, but it actually wasn't - maybe a few 100 people. 
    We started bang on 10am and then it was just a case of trying to go as fast as I could without blowing up. My left calf got a bit tight but other than that, I felt pretty strong and the distance markers (I noticed the ones at 800m and 400m to go) seemed to fly past. Once I turned the corner to see the finish I saw it was still under 8 minutes so I gave it as much as I could, until the point I was audibly gasping. I made it in 7:50, which I am pretty pleased with. This gives me something to build on going forward.
    While I have the 10K tomorrow, I do have another mile race on the 12th, although it comes the day after the 5 mile trail race on Wimbledon Common so I doubt it'll be faster. But who knows?
    I am also lucky that I generally hold my weight without any effort.  I think if I didn't run I would need to be more careful. 

I fear you need to step back from the fast stuff for a while JB.  Have you had someone take a look at it yet?  Maybe a physio for some exercices? 

You did a great mile Cal - well under the 8 mins. Sounds like a nice route.  Good luck with the 10k today. 

Last long run for me yesterday - another 20 miler.  Means in this training cycle my 5 longest runs have been over the magic 100m - I think this is the first time I have managed that.  With 2 weeks to go until race day it is a bit of a risk doing a long distance but I kept the pace down to fairly sensible levels.  Nice day for it - hopefully I will get similar conditions and not an untimely heatwave  - another risk doing a race mid-May.  New shoes got another outing to see if they could be a candidate for race day - not sure yet.  No blisters or sore sports at least.  New socks, shorts and water sack as well :)  
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Fantastic, Hazel. I hope the weather is kind to you. I've done Liverpool Marathon three times in May...one was moderate, one was very warm and the third was wet and windy, so you never know do you?

So, London 10,000 today. Won't lie, it felt pretty hard. Given I'd done a pretty hard parkrun Saturday then the Mile yesterday, I guess I was asking a lot of my old bod.
    As with the Mile, the race village was in Green Park and the start was on the Mall. Organisation was good and we started exactly when we were supposed to. I was somewhere between 1 and 2KM when I saw Mo and Eilish whizz past on the other side of the road...Mo was in third place then. Bit of a shocker that he wasn't able to get past Cross - I bet that was the latter's best day ever!
    Eilish was mile ahead of the second woman...shame she didn't quite get the British record but she did get the Scottish one and I'm sure she'll keep trying until she does. She has very long legs...bet her stride must be three times what mine is.
    The course is almost the same as the Winter 10K, aside from starting on the Mall and finishing at Buckingham Palace. (The Winter 10K has a couple of out and backs which I guess make up the distance). There was a bit of entertainment around the course (the usual drum groups, a choir, a DJ and so forth) though I admit I rather missed the penguins and polar bears.
    A couple of miles in I was feeling my left hip a bit (TFL, I think) which is probably from striding out during the mile. Other than that, legs weren't bad but I was finding it quite hard going. It was simply a lack of speed endurance (I just need to dump the 7lbs I've put on since Christmas and do some actual speed work).
    I came in at 55:39 so not awesome but not terrible by current standards. Winter 10K in Feb was 55:27 and it was warmer today, so pretty similar all things considered.
    I did push quite hard so I was happy to get to the finish, but overall I enjoyed the race and would do it again (provided I could find another discounted entry...it's expensive otherwise!) But big, roads closed race with a medal and nice T-shirt for ten quid is a bargain.
    Next race is the first Wimbledon Trail Series race (5 miles) followed a day later by another mile race, this time on a track. Didn't plan that well, did I?
    Well done on the 10k as well Cal.  Nice details in your report.  Great to see the fast end of the race.  I spectated at our 10miler a few years ago and saw the top runners whizz by - looks a bit different..  The organizers could have replaced the penguins and polar bears with a few palm trees and ice creams?  10 quid does seem a bargain.  You could try putting your time into a pace calculator and see what it comes up with for training paces.

Group run yesterday evening, 6.5 miles - felt a bit sluggish after Monday's rest day and mostly sitting around on Tuesday pre-run.  I could have done with a walk beforehand.  Nice trot around - we were lucky that the thunderstorms had passed by then.

Quick turnaround today - dentist this evening and no time to run at lunch either so I started work early and took a sneaky break mid-morning for a local outing - 7.5 miles this time.  No-one missed me workwise anyway.  Probably a good thing to get out fairly early as there are more thunderstorms currently grumbling around the area.  First time it felt a bit humid this morning.  Could do without that.  Temps are still ok though.
  • Cal and Hazel, good, if contrasting, runs from both of you. Those 2 London events sound brilliant. My friend and age group rival came 7th in  his category in the 10k saying he was inspired by the course. As for the mile, what a horribly testing event. Hazel's 100 miles of long runs speaks for itself, and not a blister in sight! Brilliant stuff.

My hamstring, as is the usual pattern, now feels better and even came through a tough little 25 minute hill session today. But this is not new. Tomorrow I'll test it on the flat....but defo not flat out! I'll just keep Mrs JB company on her 7 mins per km run and then do the same at Saturday's parkrun.

For this is new, cautious JB!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good idea, Hazel. It's given me a 10:49 easy run pace which is about right...9ish for tempo.
    It's not yet too warm here, thankfully...temps in the teens, which is fine by me. Raining now, in fact, for the first time in a while.
    Good luck, JB.

Not so good for me. Did a 4 mile recovery run this morning (12+ pace, very slow). Had some achey bits but it was OK. However, I've had real ache at the top of my left thigh for most of the day, not nice at all. Probably related to the left hip that was sore in the 10K. I've got races coming up so hope it's nothing serious. May need to ditch tomorrow's run if it's still aching when I wake up.
  • Cal, a short intense downpour here too: MrsJB (keen gardener) very excited!
  • 100k is some serious distance Hazel, I've been tempted with the London 2 Brighton race but that is spread over 2 days. I have an itch to complete an Ultra which I may do later this year but just aim to compete and finish. I suspect your goals are slightly different ?

Cal, super events completed ! Remember if it wasn't hard we would probably not bother doing it. I've had this discussion with various people over the last few weeks. People who want to achieve and can menially adapt and push through to those who give up and can't adapt. It's an achievement for us to keep pushing above those who can't...

JB, certainly take it easy for a while. Some shorter, slow runs will help for sure... 

I'm still finding the slow, longer runs frustratingly difficult but managed some shorter interval type sessions. First time yesterday with a running club around a track which was something new. Work is nuts and I needed that just to clear my head a little...

Managed Cardiff 5k in 21.26, ok but could do better. Cardiff Bay 10k coming up shortly in a few weeks where aim was sub-45 but that's unrealistic at the minute so plan on going out and enjoying rather than setting targets
  • DH, well done on that 5k. That's a good time and should set you up for a sub 45 10k I would have thought.

As for me, I was a good boy and ran alongside Mrs JB on her standard 3 3.3 k run at 6.36 per k pace.

It was good for her as she knocked 45 seconds off her season's best and good for me and the hamstring behaved itself.

• Good to hear John ! I suspect a week or 2 of easy running and your hammy will thank you for it - if you can manage that ! If your are like me at Parkrun it starts with, I'm going to run easy, then at 100m and seeing people in front you pick up pace followed by maintaining that pace and not running easy at all
  • DH, have you been filming me?!
  •  :D I think that's how all Parkruns go for everyone to be honest ! 

Child responsibilities stopped me from PR'ing last week but managed to get in a 10k easy this morning before work as I was relieved of the school run which is extremely rare ! So much cooler early... 

Hopefully that means full recovery to have a good blast tomorrow at Pontypridd which is a new one for us...
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice one, DH.
    Good husbanding, John. Did you parkrun today?

Took an extra rest day and my thigh ache eased, only to be replaced by a horrendous ache in the right glute. Stretching and rolling did little to alleviate it. Not sure why that came on as I didn't run the day before and while I did do a few butt exercises in the gym, there was nothing overly stressful. 

Decided I'd do the parkrun today anyway, which meant a pretty early start. Got the tube, then a train (my clubmate joined me on the train - we'd not met properly before but she's a parkrun tourist and we both wanted to tick this one off) and then a drizzly jog to the park which included a shortcut across some fields. Distance was 1.6 miles in the end.
    As it happens, there was another lady from Tooting parkrun there so she gave us a lift back home in her car (truthfully it took longer in the traffic than it would on the train, but it was nice not to have to run back to the station, and it saved us a fare).

The parkrun itself is a small one (less than 100 runners) which is always nice. It's two laps of a lake on trail, some of which is very stony and not that easy to run on. It also goes past a children's farm so I saw a few goats and sheep and an alpaca (and also a very farmyardy smell for a stretch).
    Ran 28:48 so not my best time but given my aches and pains and the fact it was rather humid (the sun came out before the run started and it was rather warm), I'm OK with it (and it was enough for 7th female finisher - always nice to grab a top ten). 
    There was a slightly alarming bit when I'd finished and an older guy came in on wobbly legs and went full Foster in the finish funnel. Went over to him (along with the RD and other concerned folks) but he was more concerned about getting his barcode scanned than anything so it seems he was fine and had just overdone it.
    Anyway, I've not completed all the parkruns within the M25 (Lon-Done Plus) until any new ones are added, of course. Haven't yet made plans for next week but I am pacing at Clapham the week after...first time doing that.
  • DH, hope Pontpridd went well.
    I wonder if it's in the same park that Glamorgan CCC used to stage the odd game. I went there to see them play Derbyshire where a youngster called D.Cork was playing!

Cal, you are Queen of the Parkruns. Sounds like a lovely course. Good time in the circumstances. Pacing is a scary responsibility! Hope the aches and pains are OK.

So yes I did do the PR. MrsJB made me leave my barcode at home so I would be tempted to chase anyone!
    Instead I ran with her in the hope of an SB. And she did it: by 1 second!
    A WV55 did a100.09% age grade. Amazing! A sort of world record. And she's quite local. An honour to be there really.

At Mrs JBs 6.30ish pace my hamstring was happy, until I lapsed into my usual pace and was immediately rewarded with a niggle.

This made me so grumpy that I took it out on my rowing machine which I've hardly touched of late. But somehow I rowed my best 5k time for nearly 2 years (22:36). I was gobsmacked.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well I guess you just have to keep it slow, John. Patience, and all that.
    Out of interest, what was the V55's time? Asking as I move up to that cat next month. Even at my best I only scraped a 70% once or twice...I'm doing low 60s at the moment.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    8 miles today, early...forecast said sun but it was grey and not very nice. Everything hurt, though not enough to stop me from running. I've no idea why my body has decided to rebel the way it has - I've been largely sensible in terms of resting after the marathon and whatnot. I need to get faster again which means I need to do more miles and also speedwork, neither of which is going to be possible if stuff doesn't stop hurting. Gah!
    Also volunteered at junior parkrun afterwards. Of course, it was lovely and sunny for that, and still is. Hmph.
  • Cal, 18.20! Astonishing. She  actually looks a little older and I can hardly imagine the looks she gets from the young bucks as she motors past them!
    Sorry to hear of your aches and pains. I had a - thankfully rare - migraine this morning. Now taking it easy.
    Where did the rest of the week go again?  Weekend is almost over too.  

Not sure about the lack of blisters from the long runs JB.  Want a pic?  I doubt it!  Feet held up well actually until the last 2 but I think I will be saying bye to a couple of toe nails soon. Good work on pacing your wife.  I can imagine the rowing machine got a bit of shock there.  18:20 for a VW55: wow!  Hope you are feeling much better after your migraine.

Good words about achieving more than the people who give up DH.  Hmm - I can surely put myself into the latter camp at times.  Longer runs take time to build up mentally as well as physically in my experience.  10m used to feel like a slog but after a few rounds of marathon training it is a standard run nowadays.  I just shoved your 21:26 into the McMillan pace calculator and it spits out a 10k of 44:31 so don't give up on the sub 45 yet.  Hope you had a good outing at Pontypridd.

Well done on recompleting LonDone plus and your top 10 placing Cal.  Parkrun queen is an apt name! Sorry to hear about the niggles plaguing you like that.  Maybe aftereffects of the racing?  I would think the marathon is long enough ago that that shouldn't be a problem now.  What time will you be pacing parkrun for?

Easy week for me in the taper.  I had planned to do a bit of speedwork on Friday but lost my motivation a bit on spotting next week's untimely heatwave prognosis.  Cues grumbles and threats of DNS...  Updated prognosis seems to point to a cooler weekend than 27-28 midweek.  We will see.  Anyway - I trotted around a few local undulating loops instead of the speedwork, pleased to take note that the legs felt fairly fresh and nothing hurt.  Recovery trot yesterday of 4 miles and a final MLR of just under 12 miles today with around 5miles of my old mara pace.  Enough to get the legs turning over a bit quicker without being too tiring.  Just a couple of easy recoveries and a dress rehearsal to go next week.