My Last Run

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Where is everyone? 6 miles this morning - air temp still tolerable. Dreading the heatwave...my flat is hottest in the evening as it's mostly west facing, so I won't be getting a lot of sleep. Two week forecast doesn't suggest an end to it, either.
  • Cal, intestinal cramps sound no fun at all. That trail event sounded hard, hard, hard. God knows how much harder it would be in the real heat.
    Touch wood the heat doesn't bother me too much but I remember doing an HM in Sturminster Newton a few years ago. At the start it was actually quite cold in a clammy sort of way, but as the morning wore on the temperature soared. By the end there were runners strewn across the ground and the St John's fungus were very busy. Defo not an event to file under 'Fun'.

I came a bit of a cropper yesterday morning. Planned a brisk 6k and all going to plan until at 5k I got 'that' feeling in my right calf. Walked the final k and slapped ice in it ASAP.

I was planning a parkrun and a Sunday 10k race but of course will have to sacrifice the former. I'm hoping that foam rolling etc will get me to the point where I can start the 10k but even that is very dodgy, and it's a bit of a journey anyway.

I was planning/hoping for an SB, but in 2 weeks I've got a more important 10k and that should take priority. Best laid plans etc!

Hope the great isn't too bad Cal. My running partner had a flat like yours with the west facing windows and he hates the heat. What made it worse was that it was a converted office block and the windows were huge. He suffered for 2 summers and then moved.

DH, my time in Wales (4 years) started just after the drought of 1984. There followed 4 years of constant rain!
  • Cal that trail sounds horrendous ! Well done for getting through it...

John, sounds like a few days off if you have a race coming up is probably wise.

ps it's not stopped raining since 1984

Had my track session Wednesday, I would highly recommend speed work @ a track, which was a simple 9x 400m reps. I couldn't let Strava have 9 so rounded to 10 and as I ran outside of the track I ended up doing 440m reps...

Interesting (fast!) warm down routine though. Ran in groups of 4 in a line, person at the back runs slightly faster to the front, continue. Kept the pace higher than standard warm down but added 1600m to the session. Enjoyed that bit...

Looking to go out for an easy 30 mins now but damn its baking hot !
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    John, I ran the normal (ie 5 mile) course in 27 degrees and high humidity last year, hours after having an ECG at the cardio clinic. It was dreadful.
    My flat has a massive window. I've got shutters but it's still hot as balls.
    Good luck with the calf. Have you had any kind of movement screening? It might help you figure out why it keeps happening.
    Nice track sesh, DH. Sounds like fun.
  • DH, agree with Cal: that track session sounds great. My club doesn't have access to a track. I have to admit that in 35 years of running I've only been on the track once and never done a track race.

Cal, not sure if you are parkrunning today? Pretty hot here, but that didn't stop a decent turnout of 430 plus. Some decent runners too.
    My calf responsed to treatment and my 21. 01 sort of justified my participation (my granddaughter plus granddog came to see me) but the calf did cramp at 3k and I had to throttle back. Highly questionable whether I can or should run planned 10k tomorrow.

In the masters world champs in Finland, a VW75 Brit ran sub 23! My clubmate came second, almost 4 mins behind her.

Cal, I don't think theres anything structurally wrong with me. It's usually a niggle caused by something stupid like overdoing  cross training.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Which did you do? I was in your county - Horsham. Nice park though I wasn't expecting so much of it to be on grass and trail. Could only manage 28:27 which, I hope, is down to the warm weather, lack of sleep and midweek race. 
    This week is going to be hell.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Long run day. I am very, very, very loosely basing my training on P&D, so it was supposed to be 16 miles with 10 at MP. Which I knew was completely beyond me as I can just about manage a parkrun at MP, let alone 10 miles as part of the longest run I've done since Manchester Marathon. Then there's the small matter of my right SI joint being a whiny little sod and everything else on that side hurting because of it.

I settled on 16 miles with some miles a bit faster than easy pace...I was aiming for 10 minute miles but that didn't quite happen. The first one felt like it should have been 10 but was actually 40 seconds slower; the next I had to stop twice for cars, and then I managed a 9:55. I guess I'd shot my bolt with that as I then got progressively slower again until I hit 13 miles in Battersea Park. Decided to jog the remaining three back home as it was uphill and my right hip, ham and achilles were all hurting like mad.
    I made it to 16, but felt like I'd run a marathon. It was that bad I even stretched when I got back. 🤣
    Easy week now...partly because it's going to be in the 30s and partly because I've that 8 mile race on Sunday. I'm hoping I'll be a bit more acclimatised by then!
  • Cal, I did Worthing. I liked the Horsham course but when I did it a few weeks back my hammy went badly and I dropped out.I then had some sort of weird panic attack meltdown and it took me a day to get over it. So I have very bad memories of Horsham.
    Your run this morning sounds really tough. The heat really saps the energy.

I spent all day yesterday nursing the calf and fearing that todays 10k would be stupid if not impossible.

But it behaved itself. That's about the only good news from today's event.
    I forgot my Garmin (idiot), we got a bit lost on the way but most of all the event was just naff. There was no PA, no atmosphere, no direction and poor signage. It seemed casual and understaffed and 175 metres too long according to my running partner.
    Worst of all on the hottest day of the year with no shade and no breeze, the start was delayed and we stood there cooking.
    My time of 44.47 tbc wasn't great but I was the first oldie, although there was no prize.
    However, if the time is confirmed than by a few seconds it's an SB so mustn't grumble, I guess!
  • PS and my name doesn't feature in the results!

Rant over.
  • PPS they've amended the results (no apology) and my name now features. They've buggered up my time by 2 minutes (worse) but I still got a category win so life is too short. It was a 'Race Nation' event and the last one that I'll be doing.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That sounds like a shambles, John! Oh dear. 
    I think you need to go back to Horsham when you're feeling decent and expunge that memory. It's a nice park.
    Yesterday's run wasn't tough because of the heat - it was still reasonably fresh first thing. It was more down to my SI joint affecting everything on my right side, which caused me to hurt. 
    I've started a new mobility programme which I hope will fix a lot of it. The exercises are tough, so it better work!
  • John, Well done on result I guess not so much on everything else. At least the muscles stayed in working order for you  !

This heat is an absolute killer ! Done an easy 7k yesterday at 9pm and it was blistering hot still. Same today and have a decent session planned tonight. Might stay local so I can sneak some hidden water on the path. 

Went to Pendine for the weekend and managed to get to Colby Parkrun. What a great little park but damn it's tuff ! Trail, loose gravel and plenty of hill'age. 3 laps of a nice park but even getting there is through proper single track country roads - I'm surprised 137 people made it down those roads ! Even the wife came...
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Morning's definitely a better bet for cooler temps, DH, but it was still 20 degrees when I went out around 5:30am this morning.
    I did 8 miles with some strides in the last mile and it didn't feel too bad considering how much Sunday hurt.
  • Well, we are adapting to the demands of the heat through such strategies as hiding water bottles (DH) or venturing out mega early (Cal).
    Not quite so oppressive down here, but still a bit unwise to do out at 10.00 and do hill repeats. Pretty damn exhausting tbh.
    There's a club night tonight which I'm swerving.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I'm more concerned about the race I've got on Sunday, John. Needless to say, I don't think I'll actually be racing it, as such.
    Bad night last night as it's now very hot in my room (29 when I went to bed). Fortunately I just had a 5 mile recovery run planned for today.
  • Cal, oh dear, Sunday sounds as though it's going to be roasting. Would you consider a DNS? Probably better than a DNF. (Just thought: DNS = Did Not Survive.)

7k for me along the prom. Not a breath of air and humid. But, hit my 7k target of sub 4.45 pace ( just).
    Not many out running this morning at 10.00; but many perhaps at 6.00.

World Champs start soon. Looking forward to it. Looks like the TV coverage is good.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I'd DNS if the temps were stupid, but it doesn't look like it'll be that bad until Monday. BBC's currently estimating low 20s for the duration of the race. That's still much warmer than I would like but I've raced in 27 degrees last year so I know it won't kill me. 
    Weather must be bad if there's no air on the prom!
  • Think I've said before but I'm not a morning person and already up 7am anyway, I struggle to get up earlier than that to run - I wish I had the mental toughness to do so...

Managed a few easy runs and another planned to tonight. Should be my club run but they are heading out late at 7.30 and can't so that as putting kiddo to bed. Ah well I will run later and hopefully it'll be cooler still 

Cal I do hope Sunday is not that bad for Sunday but if it is you can take all pressure off yourself and just run to get around ! 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    DH, I am going to see how I feel on the day but since I don't have an 8 mile PB to beat, I can go as slow as I like, really.
    Enjoy your run.

Up early again for another 8 miler. Weather felt a bit fresher - even wore a T instead of a vest. Unfortunately, body felt pretty niggly. I think it doesn't like that I sleep on my left most of the time - I think that's what's  upsetting the right SI joint but I'm not sure what to do about that as it's hard to sleep in hot weather, let alone in a different position than normal. Eh.
  • Cal, a few days rest before the Sunday event might allow the niggles a chance to settle down?

DH, over the years I've done very few early runs too. Admire those who do but it's not for me.

Cross training today and I'll learning the rower. Now that is a sweat-fest!
  • 20.49 parkrun along a very hot prom. Pleased with this.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Opted for my local today as I'm racing tomorrow (yikes). Pushed a bit but not too much but HR still went to 189 on the home stretch. Didn't even feel that hot, and I slept relatively well. Got 27:59 which is incredibly annoying as I still need a .00 for my parkrun bingo, and I have umpteen .59s already. Bah.
  • Good luck Cal ! Rather you than me in this heat ! 

Local PR done, 24m with 3k easy and 2k really pushing pace which, given heat & trail location, was bloody hard. I done the stupid thing of finishing and sitting under a tree followed by the worst cramp I've even had in left & right calves. Took me 10 mins of painful stretching to walk, could barely drive the car home and even 12 hours later I'm struggling with stairs ! 

Key message: warm down ! 
  • Cal, hope it went well.

Hamster, that sounds nasty. Maybe the calves were bad because you gave it all in the final 2k. I'm a shocker for not warming down so thanks for the heads up.

15k today. That's long for me and a very long time to be running @90 mins. Hot too. Got through it OK but I find these efforts boring. More worryingly the knees are very stiff, so must do some stretching.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    DH, if that happens again, pull your big toes back. The big toe tendon runs up behind the calf and pulling on your toes can release it. It's especially effective with those night time calf cramps.

Well done John. And yes, stretch.

Harry Hawkes 8, then! Went in with no expectations due to heat and the fact it's a distance I've not raced before, so decided I'd start out easy and see how it went. Didn't have the best night's sleep and felt like I didn't have the energy to warm up (although I had walked two miles from Balham to Clapham Junction due to engineering works on Southern), but once I got going I was OK. It felt pretty warm even early in the morning so for the first mile I was finding my feet. Mile 2 I stopped to hoik up my chest strap as it was falling down (probably because of all the barrier cream I rubbed on to stop my sports bra chafing)...Mile 3 I stopped at the water station as I wanted to make sure I got to drink a full cup and not shoot half of it up my nose as I usually do. After that I started feeling quite strong and was overtaking people on the river path. I did get overtaken by the 10 mile leader just after 5 miles (given he'd run two more mile than me and had started 15 minutes later, he must have been going some!) but I was actually enjoying the race, smiling at people and exchanging the odd well done and whatnot. Kind of like how I felt when I ran Chester Marathon back in 2018.
    Stopped again briefly at the water station past the bridge (mile 6) but felt strong enough to up my speed a bit for the last two miles despite it being quite hot by then. Even had enough for a sprint finish where I overtook two women in front of me.
    All miles below 10 minute pace except for the three where I stopped briefly, and I came in under 80 minutes which I'm relatively pleased with under the circumstances. HR was in the 180s for the last two miles (9:35 and 9:29) and hit 191 for that last sprint but I felt fine and still do. 
    I am now looking forward to ice cream and some rose I've got chilling in the fridge (though not too much of the latter...don't want to dehydrate myself!)
  • Cal, well done; nice detailed report. A sprint finish with a couple of victims is a great way to end a race. It's almost worth holding something back just for that. (But I never do.)

Surely you won't be going out in the 40 degrees over the next 2 days and after that event? Surely? Luckily we are in the amber zone but in London you will cop for the worst of it, I guess.

Ice cold lager for me tonight and watch some athletics.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well, I have a 10 mile run with some lactate threshold miles scheduled for Tuesday...but er, no, won't be doing that. I think I'll take this week easy (I can't really do a long run Sunday anyway as I've the 1 mile relays next Monday evening).

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I had a very restless night - I did sleep but I seemed to wake up every hour. It was 28 degrees in my flat when I went to bed so tonight will be much, much worse. So, while I wouldn't normally run on a Monday, I decided to go out and do a recovery run this morning, as it's the coolest it'll be for the next few days. Did 6 miles at a gentle plod, HR around 140 for most of it. I think it unlikely I'll run tomorrow but I'm taking this week by how I feel.

• Superb effort @ Hawkes and glad it was enjoyed. Stopping at the water station very wise...

Will remember that big toe trick but I hope I don't get cramp like that ever again. Even today it's sore walking up stairs but certainly better.

Managed an hour on the Dreadmill yesterday with a fan full blast. About all I could muster even though it should have been long run day. May attempt a very very easy run later down the river bank just to get out 

I've had 2 t-shirts on rotation in the fridge all day - I feel like an overdone loaf of bread
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I know how you feel. I have the fan on but it's like sitting by a hairdryer. Rest day today but did go for an early walk.