Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Tough times to be a runner.
    I took a leaf out of Cal's book this morning and went out at 6.45 for a brisk 30 run around the (hilly) cemetery. Saw a Roe Deer, a Green Woodpecker and what turned out to be a lost Jack Russell who was later reunited with his owner.
    I'm playing with the idea of running an 'important''* 10k on Sunday in far off Wrexham, so not sure how to handle workload this week.

* the importance is that it's a selection event to get into the England masters squad. in effect, 3rd place or better = an England vest for 2023. The other participants (of which there are many!) so far include 4 who would have me on toast, so I'm not sure it's a sensible trip. If on the other hand, I could knock 3 minutes off my SB (set on a hilly track at Dorking that Cal will remember) on a flat course.........
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Do it! It has to be faster than Dorking (although it's still going to be pretty toasty, though perhaps you'll be acclimatised by then!)

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    My flat was 32.5 degrees when I went to bed so needless to say, I didn't sleep well. The silver lining was that I got to see the athletics live including the 1500m, which was terrific.
    I got a little sleep after that but felt pretty groggy when I woke again at 5am but I decided to go out anyway.  I did 6 miles with 5 at recovery pace and the last one with some strides as I've mile relays on Monday and need to get my legs turning over.

• Options
    That's seriously warm Cal.

Jake W. might be the winner of the World Champs but his real claim to fame is that he holds the record for Worthing parkrun!

Intervals this morning. Hard work and the body is telling me this.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I think he does at Horsham too, John.
    Flat didn't cool down as much as I'd hoped yesterday - it got down to 28.1 overnight but was back up to 29.5 at bedtime. Fortunately I was so tired I slept anyway. It's better now...around 25.5 but it's already starting to climb again.
    A slow half marathon-length run this morning...no issues with stamina but a grumbling achilles dissuaded me from making the run any longer. That and traffic...had to stop a few times to cross roads, which is why I generally do my longer runs on Sundays. Anyway, miles banked.
  • Options
    Defo cooler here. No running but a 12 minute Tabata (help!) and intervals on the rower (gasp!).
    Cal, decent run! Slap ice on the Achilles?
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Achilles is a long-running (no pun intended...or maybe I did) thing. It's been quiet for a year but suddenly decided to wake up and have a grumble. Not sure why. 
    I was going to visit a friend and do her local parkrun tomorrow in Stevenage but she can't make it now, so I'm giving serious consideration to doing Bevendean. It's been on my bucket list for a while. Don't suppose I can tempt you?

• Options
    Cal, good luck with Bevendean. Ice run it once and it's tough. I'm sure you've done your research and you thus know it's not good Achilles territory. It's also a bit hard to find as it's kind of tucked away behind a big council estate. The thing is that with most parkruns you get close and then follow the crowd, but for Bevendean there's not much of a crowd (theres a reason for this!).
    But you are rewarded with great views across the coast, and it's very friendly. 

I'm still on the edge of making a decision about the Wrexham 10k. I'll have to make a decision this evening and will post here. If I dont go I'd be up for Bevendean but Mrs JB would find it just too hard (we never train on hills together). So I'll probably do Hove Prom which is very flat and fast. Our local course is closed for 2 weeks.
  • Options
    dangeroushamsterdangeroushamster ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Any Parkrun record is above all medals & championships I agree John...

I've had some slow easy plods this week, missing out my interval session as my calves still in pain from last Saturdays cramp ! Seems to be easying but yesterdays run seem to provoke them so having a rest day.

I will have a slow PR plod tomorrow but Sunday I have the Epic 10k Cardiff Trail race around Castel Coch - not done a trail race before so think I'm aiming for sub 50 dependent on 'issues'

Summer school holidays now so no idea when I'm going to get to train but it'll fit stuff in somewhere 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good point about the achilles, John...and I do have a mile race on Monday so perhaps I'll leave Bevy for August. Decided on St Albans instead.
  • Options
    Good luck with St Albans.

I cocked up a hotel booking so looks like I'll be staying local.
    I'm very cross with myself so I'm hoping that I'll take it out on the course!

Hove Prom is the home of my PB and I won't beat that but I'll be looking for an SB.
  • Options
    Update: got that SB with 20.30 and hence a PB age grade of 83.33%. Giddy heights for the like of me.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done! That makes up partly for the hotel cock up.

St Albans was reasonably easy...tube to St Pancras and then a pretty quick train there that only cost a tenner return. However, I did have a 1.5 mile run to the park. Lovely town, if a bit hilly - part of the route went along narrow village-type lanes. Quite charming.
    The parkrun itself is in Verulamium Park, which is home to Roman ruins (though these are covered and you have to pay if you want to see them).
    The park is nice, though - grassy to start (but firm, short grass...mostly brown thanks to the weather) but then moving to path for three laps of a nice lake before heading back to the finish.
    I felt quite good so I adopted a brisk pace, if not flat out, but seems I am stuck around 9 minute pace. I just can't seem to go faster and I don't know if it's physical or psychological. Came in at 27:49 so another time in that ballpark, which is rather disappointing. I still bagged age group 1st so I guess I'll just take the small wins when I can.
    The jog back to the station felt a lot tougher, as what seemed to be a fairly gentle downhill on the way there turned out to be a very long uphill on the way back. But I made the train I was aiming for, which is good.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Cal, sounds like a really nice venue if a bit outside my own normal orbit.
    You are certainly consistent! And a age category first looks good on your Power of Ten.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yeah but given I was on the verge of cracking 24 minutes in June 2020, this is not the consistency I'm after.

5 recovery this morning. I'd normally do my long run on Sundays, but want fresh legs for the mile relays tomorrow evening. Most fun event of the year.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Cal, that relay sounds great. What's the format? Mixed teams?
    A mile is a horrible distance; a killer 

My quest for an England masters vest happened today. To cut a long story short, I missed out: by one second, would you believe, over the 10k distance. I actually beat a guy on the finish line but his chip timing was just that bit better. For about an hour I thought I was an international until the results came through. GUTTED!

I did manage a respectable time of 42.17 but it wasn't quite good enough. So that was a 500 mile round trip,  leaving at 03.45. Actually we had an enjoyable day and that's the main thing.
  • Options
    Great result John ! 80%+ is nothing to be sniffed at... 

Cal, to increase speed maybe try running shorter intervals and/or strides more often ? Get the legs use to doing that speed once again...

Had my first trail run through Fforest Fawr Castle Coch in Cardiff. 10k through proper woods and trails, I didn't quite understand the difference between trail v road but after that I was battered. Aim was sub 1hr and managed 1hr 1m which is irritating but I'd never been so happy to see a water station after the first 'hill', proper bottles too ! 90% went over my head an neck, remainder drank. 3x 'hills' that were major which most people walked, how the winner managed 41m is nothing short of super human ! 

Decent medals though ! 

• Options
    Hamster, brilliant event and a great medal. A tough event like this can only improve your subsequent performance; the training effect will be superb.
    I think some runners must have some mountainn goat genes and my knees ache just to think of those downhill.

The event I did today (see above) was in Wrexham at the other end of the country from you. It's hard to fall in live with a place where the only bits you see is an industrial estate and a prison, where we parked!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done for toughing that out, Hamster....lovely medal. Definitely well earned.
    John, that's both excellent and incredibly frustrating. Glad you had a good time, at least.
    Teams are either all male, all female or mixed. Mine's a mixed team, just three peeps, but we're all vets (over 40s anyway. I actually enjoy a mile - really liked the Westminster Mile back in May. Hoping I can go under 8 minutes again.
  • Options
    Cal, good luck for your relay event this evening. A sub 8 is there for the taking, especially if you get the downwind leg.

A mike feels like almost 4 minutes 😁 of very hard graft to me!

Totally shattered today and a trip to the dentist ( more work needed) didn't help lift the spirits.
  • Options
    Thanks both. My hips are in bits, serious ache although my legs for the most part are ok! I need to get myself a pair of trail shoes and do more given where I am it's easy to find trails...

I've never really been to Wrexham, once when I was a child but I don't remember that. I missed your post above min by missing out by 1 second, that is soul destroying ! At least you got extremely close, most people never get that chance to represent there country. That time itself people generally get no where near... All things to be proud of with good stories in the future

Good luck for later as well Cal, let us know how you get on...
  • Options
    DH, thanks mate. I've never owned a pair of trail shoes, but I think all serious runners seem to have them.
    Hope the aches and pains go soon.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    So the mile relays. I'd not been feeling all that great (slight scratchy throat and not exactly ill but not quite well either...and still feel the same today) But I put on my big girl pants and ran the three miles to Battersea Park, after which I felt a bit better. I very much enjoyed the event but was disappointed to run 8:02, which put me very close to the bottom on individual times (285/294) and was slower than the Westminster Mile in May. It's an out and back course and I think I was just too cautious on the outward leg.
    The other annoying thing was I tried to get a vets team going, but turns out you all have to be over 50 and there was a 40s woman in my team so we just counted as a regular mixed team. Not that we'd have been particularly competitive, either way. Ah well.
    Resting today - hope this malaise blows over.
  • Options
    Cal, hope it was fun, even if a bit disappointing performance wise. Well earned rest for you today. Plans for the weekend? Parkrun?

7k for me today @steady 4.41 pace.
    Threw in a quick sub 2 minute final 500m. Still running on tired legs after the weekends efforts.

Really enjoyed Lioness's victory.
    Commonwealth games to come......

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well I'm still under the weather, so I guess I could blame performance on that. But I felt OK while I was running, so not really. Taking it easy again today. I should be doing Stevenage on Saturday but depends on whether I'm well or not, I guess.
    Good 7K there. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    And feeling more normal today so went out for a late morning 6 mile plod.
  • Options
    Cal, well done. Weather much cooler here.

30 minutes quite hard on the gentle slopes around the cemetery.
    Now a bit of a rest until Saturday's parkrun: Littlehampton prom, where I'll be trying to break 21 minutes for the first time.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ed Whitlock used to do a lot of his training around the cemetery - I suppose it's a quiet place to train.
    8 miles today. Not awesome - stiff SI joint was creating aches and pains for my hip and leg despite half an hour of exercises before even stepping out the door. Little bugger. Got it done, though.
  • Options
    Hope things back to normal Cal
    Good luck breaking 21m John, I've so far only managed that once

Based on my progressive run today I'm not under 21 mins fitness yet either, although it was baking hot with the sun beating down and had a little in my legs from Wednesday intervals - excuses, I really need to put big boy pants on mentally I think
  • Options
    Cal, yes I'd heard that about the late, great Ed. Your injury sounds like a 'nagging' one and must be very annoying and a bit inhibiting.8 miles in the bank,  though. Did you do Stevenage?

DH, I'm never quite sure what impact the heat has. I know some good runners who really underperform when the sun bakes them. It doesn't bother me too much.

Littlehampton PR, their 100th. A prom and therefore flat and fast if 40 metres too long. A field of 300 is large for them. I achieved my sub 21 by 2 seconds, and my age grade was the best of the day, a rare honour. 

For the second week in a row a too fast 1st I (4.00) didn't help. Must correct this.

Enjoying the CW games and the womens footie.