My Last Run

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I don't do well in heat but I'm a post menopausal bird which means my hypothalamus doesn't work properly any more. It's possible to acclimatise a bit though, but I tend to run a fair bit quicker once the temp drops below 15 (I'm really happiest between 5 and 12 degrees).
    Well done John.

My plans to go to Stevenage today were scuppered by the train strike, but Southern was still running so I went to Tilgate instead, which had been a funny shaped hole in my map for a while. Lovely park but had a couple of hills so not my best time: 28:13. Like last week, there was also a 1.5 mile jog each way to/from the station, though thankfully it wasn't as hilly as St Albans.
    I did bump into a parkrunner I'd met pre-pandemic at a very wet Ifield Mill Pond, so we had some fizzy pop at the cafe afterwards. Nice to catch up.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Humidity...ugh. Made everything feel so much harder.
    I had 18 miles in mind for today but after being a bit poorly earlier in the week and nursing a grumpy right leg (that sticky SI joint is causing problems) I figured 16 would be OK.
    I felt reasonably perky after my first gel at 5 miles but then started to struggle a bit around 8 miles in. Achilles was being a little sod and right ham was starting to feel the strain as well.
    Took a salty gel at mile 10 which helped a little but didn't really solve the right leg issues. Decided at that point 16 miles would be enough, but when I finally got through 16 I was a bit more than half a mile from home so decided I might as well go to 17.
    That was a tough run. Glad it's done.
  • Cal, I ran Tilgate many years ago as the second part of a New Years Day double. It was very congested at the start and there was a very grumpy dog walker on the course. I've never been back.
    Crawley used to have a bit of a reputation. It was the only 'new town' in Sussex = London over spill. It was really badly hit by the Covid lockdown because of the airport. 

I really don't know how to rack up those miles on yout long runs, especially with your body rebelling.
    I managed 15 km this morning and it was horrible.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    John, give Tilgate another chance. They now have a split start (one start by the lake and one on a path a little further up) which makes things manageable.
    Crawley's where The Cure are from, of course.
  • Cal I feel your humidity pain, just sitting here in my office I struggle but yesterdays session was supposed to be under cloud. Was it hell. Beating sun and muggy I nearly gave in on my second rep but completed it. Really need to focus on that mentality side and running form. This new training block seems to want me to run at that sub 20m 5k pace, mentally that's a big hurdle...

John congrat's on best age grade, common occurrence these days. How do you know it's 40m long ? I thought all PRs where measured courses

Took the dog on my latest PR, probably warm for him but dragged him around. Got rewarded with a doggo ice cream. Pacer week @PR so will do better this time, just happens to be before the Barry Island 10k so probably not wise but I'm not aiming for targets on that and have a 40th in the evening so doesn't matter too much
  • Cal, yes indeed - something to be proud of; great singles band. Thanks for the update on Tilgate.

DH, the 40 metres is on both my and my pal's Garmins. There's about a 40 metre 'extra' bit at the finish. It doesn't really matter.....but I'd prefer it to be 40 metres short.
    Barry 10k I would guess is pretty flat/fast?
    Not your 40th I assume?

Rest day today other than a bike ride
    to the dentist.He used a laser on me which sounds a bit James Bond!

• Having run a few PRs a few times with my watch they are never 'correct', all PRs should be exactly 5k and I believe are measured frequently so likely the watches are incorrect...

No sadly my 40th was during lockdown ! 

Barry is not flat apparently, first time I've run it. Having walked the beach and around Barry a bit there are some nasty sections no doubt... It won't be horrendous though
  • What did he do with the laser, John?
    DH, I'd say most parkruns are reasonably correct, although they usually make alternative courses slightly long so people don't get stuck with an unbeatable PB on the regular course, or something.
    Bad luck with the lockdown birthday...guess you can make up for that when you turn 50. :lol:

Invested in some new shoes - Nike Invincibles. A bit heavier than I'd usually go for but I'm going to use them for my easy and recovery runs, and they are certainly comfy enough for that. I did 8 miles and (sore achilles aside) felt not bad at all.
  • john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    DH, I think a possible issue with measuring Parkruns is that some courses are a bit twisty and might be hard to measure accurately. I know my local one was a bit short and they adjusted it ( which sort of proves both our opposing positions!).
    But it's not the Olympics so if it happens then it's a minor issue.
    On Cal's point my PB at Bognor was achieved on a one-off course, much easier (if not shorter) than the standard one, and I felt a bit guilty.
    Of course it's the sheer variety that makes 
    PR so much fun.

Cal, I had quite a bit of treatment yesterday, including the laser. I work on the principle that ignorance is bliss so can't tell you the specifics, other than to say that I have periodontal disease and radical measures need to be taken.

Hope the new trainers do the trick. My beloved Endorphin Speeds need replacing and I'm not sure whether to get some discounted 2s or go the whole hog and get some 3s. After what I'm paying the dentist it might have to be the 2s!

30 minute runn today. Slow but not easy given that the humidity is as bad as I can remember. 
  • John, I have an unbeatable PB at Beckenham - not only was it my fastest ever parkrun (24:07), but they've changed the course now and the new one is a lot slower.
  • Back in my Epic Reacts for a 12 miler this morning. Very humid so didn't push the pace but did throw in some hills. Body still grumbling somewhat.
  • Cal, even better if you knew at the time that the course was going to be changed!
    I'm a one pair of trainers at a time runner, so I never get the bother of choosing.

Update: I was wrong. I thought I'd missed out on England selection due to chip timing but it seems that gunbl time rules OK: I'm in! The event is next year's Chester 10k and the goal is to get to the start line in one piece......

• dangeroushamsterdangeroushamster ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Congrats John ! What a result !! Best get those muscles to start behaving correctly...

I know the parkruns are measured x many times each period to check distance but does stand to reason that this may differ due to different paths especially trail types. An official 5k event is measured in the center of the course... 

I've had a tree covered PR (Colby) come in at 4.4k on my watch and others generally show short between 4.8-4.99 but you look at the lines and you can see corners being tightened

I have a pair of Speed 2's, one of the better shoes I have. I love the weight. Would I buy a second pair, yes. I do like trying new ones though so just bought some New Balance Fuelcell Elites which apparently stand up to training distances. Took a punt as again they are mega lightweight 

Also bought a pair of Saucony Peregrine 12s to start doing some trail running around here. I will beat an hour in next years Cardiff epic. Also I need some new routes so this will do nicely...
  • John that's awesome news!
  • Both: thanks for the kind words and advice on new trainers.
    7k tough x country last night. Hot, humid and hilly and really nasty underfoot with rabbit holes, exposed tree roots and narrow uneven tracks. No idea how well I did until the results emerge, but averaged 4.47 per km which seemed about right.
    Totally emptied the tank anyway!
  • Well done John. Sounds like my nightmare course.
  • john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Cal, still knackered from running it. Will rest as it's the local parkrun tomorrow. Thank goodness the England vest has yet to arrive as, show pony that I am, I'd be tempted to ponce around in it! 
    PS. On YouTube theres a really good channel called Film My Run.
    The chap who does this produced a film of the x country run called Killer Rabbits! Thankfully I dont appear in it. It's only about 6 minutes long and his stuff is very good.
  • Sounds like a channel I could waste a lot of time on, John.
    I should finally make it to Stevenage tomorrow to see my friend and her pup (though with the amount of postponements, she'll be barely a pup now). Rather excited about the following week as I'm going to get Jersey Farm done for my J. Yay.
  • After that 10k trail I completed I'm not surprised you are still hurting, those off road races are brutal.

I actually looked at getting a welsh top as I will never make running for wales a reality but unsurprisingly you can't

Just waiting for a Teams call to finish, once people stop swinging appendages, and then off for a 15/16k'er
  • Cal  yes, Js are rarer than hen's teeth  Good luck.

DH, the only time I would have loved to wear a GB or England vest was when I was on holiday in Canada and I took part in a big high profile 10k. Suddenly I felt  very patrotic!
  • Well, a big turnout at my local parkrun of 500 in perfect conditions.
    I managed 20.17 which is my PB for my time on planet Earth. And still only came 2nd in my age category!
    My age grade of 84.22% was the 2nd best in the field.
    Still not sure where this came from, but not complaining!
  • Amazing, John. I wish I could say the same. Went to Stevenage - yet another parkrun that has a 1.5 mile jog to and from the station (so 6 miles logged, more or less). Nice two lapper around a big lake, mostly on path but with one bit of rooty trail and a naughty uphill finish. 27:32 so not getting any quicker, alas, and HR hit the 190s by the end. 
    But I got to see the friend and her gorgeous cockerpoo pup, which was very nice.
    Also have developed a sore tooth/gum, so I guess I will have to get myself to the dentist as soon as I can. Was hoping it would heal itself, but alas, no.
  • Cal, love Cockerpoos! Sounds like a nice course. Take care of that gum!
  • Photo showing nice T shirt and very dodgy model!
  • Very nice! Don't get it dirty!
    I think I've solved the tooth problem - there was a bit of popcorn kernel skin sticking out which must have been stuck well in there. Pulled it out with tweezers and it bled a bit but there's a lot less discomfort now. I'll give it a few days to see if it settles and then get that crown glued back down so it doesn't happen again.
  • Cal, hope the gum settles down. Since my major wake up call from the dentist I've invested in one of those things that sprays a jet of water to clean between your teeth. I've also become addicted to mouthwash!
    A lovely 5 miler in the woods this morning at a leisurely pace with my friend and a little group he runs with. So nice to not be concerned about time, distance and pace and to just enjoy the scenery and company.
  • I was advised to get one of those after the last gum infection, but I've not yet...think I might have to now. Do you rate it? Anyway, gum has settled a lot since yesterday so I think I'll be able to get away without the antibiotics.

Got out just after 6 for my 18 miler, and did my hilly route going out to Sydenham, Crystal Palace and back via Streatham. While the hills were tough, I felt better than I did for my flat 17 last week, though I put that down to the weather. It was getting warm but still relatively fresh, compared to last week when it was very warm, cloudy and incredibly humid.
    The nice thing with this route is it's downhill towards the end so I pushed the pace a little back to 10:30s for three miles and then 10 for the last mile. The usual niggles showed up later than last week, too, so while they're still there, they don't seem as bad.
    That also concludes my first 50 mile week in a very long while (most I hit before Manchester was 47, and that was in January!)
  • Cal, 50 miles in a week! I've only matched that weekly total perhaps 3 times in 35 years of serious running. Well done.

The water thingy (to give it its formal name) is very effective but at first it was a bit painful. But as I've used it the pain (and bleeding) has gone. My dentist is pleased with the improvement in my oral health.....although he still thinks my marathon times are pretty crap.
  • Well glad to hear that everyone's problems seem to be slowly fixing themselves ! I really need to find a dentist, I know I need various fillings but there are zero NHS ones available...

That shirt suits you well John, enjoy it ! Must be extremely exciting to wear that. Make sure you use some Daz to wash it...

Finished my first 50k week in a while, not quite the same as 50m but... Lots of interval type work and the Barry Island 10k yesterday. Shade under 47m which I'm happy with. I wasn't gunning for any PBs, I'd ran 4 days straight including a 17k long run, 25m pacing at PR and then the 40th the night before so happy with result. It was also extremely hot and it ain't flat ! Boyo had a good time on the beach and arcade games though...

Still another medal for the collection ! 

• DH, nice collection. Over the the years my medals have disappeared. I wish I kept them as each one tells a story: so do hang onto yours.
    A good run from you on the back of hard training and in hot, hilly conditions.
    I wonder what the benefits in terms of performance are of a mini taper before a 10k. Clearly, you'd turn up rested and fully race ready.
    On the other my recent 5k PB and 10k SB have both been achieved a day or two after another (hard) race.
    But I'm sure the consensus would be to enter the week of the race ready to scale back the training.
    We'll have to try it sometime!

Just a bike ride of around 10 miles today to the dentist. As for the fee, wow! 

Got the son's little dog staying for a week. Amazing how adaptable she is. A delight.