Peroneal tendinitis

Added to a long saga of ankle injuries (achilles tendinitis, cartilage problem), it now seems that - according to a physio pal - I may have a problem with peroneal tendinitis. (pain on outside of ankle behind and below the ankle bone).

On another thread, I saw Cabletow comment that peroneal tendinitis could be caused by shoes that have too much motion control. What I would like to know is, has anyone had this problem from orthotics? Similar sort of phenomenon? It seemed to get worse after sports therapist increased amount of tilt on my orthotics to help with achilles(he's gone out of business now so I can't ask him!). I've tried taking orthotics out of my shoes but then I get problems on the inside of the ankle with posterior tibialis....any advice or experiences gratefully received!

Comments

• Sluggie,
    I injured my Peroneal Tendon late last year. Ran too far in new trainers and with having the laces a little too tight I nipped the tendon. The tendon sheath became inflamed and got swelling around and above the ankle (confirmed by mri scan). I dont wear orthotics but it could be that the change in foot position has irritated the tendon. I missed 7 weeks training however the first 4 weeks spent trying to come back to early. In the end did sod all for 3 weeks and plenty of ice cube massage. With tendons you really need them settled otherwise you will never shake the injury, if I had rested sooner 2/3 weeks would have sorted it.
  • Thanks both. It's had lots of rest but not much improvement. What really seems to help is absolutely flat shoes (which is of course not good for the achilles, so perhaps I have two injuries in conflict....).

Emailed your recommendation Victoria and found him very helpful - will probably go there for new orthotics but want to get second opinion from orthopod first. But interesting to see that Mat Malones suggestions for things to look at based on just an email description of my symptoms matched up with various possibilities (including peroneal tendonitis) raised on the radiologist's MRI report (possibilities my previous consultant chose to discount as unlikely....)
  • FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Sluggie,

I have had this problem and I think it was caused by a change my (ex) pod made to my orthotics. I'd been having recurring achilles problems, and he built up the orthotic gradually with extra pieces underneath, but I think eventually it got too much and it bu**ered up the peroneal. It came on suddenly as I was doing a long run (training for FLM 2006). I hate to tell you but I was off running for 6 months.

Since coming back I have changed podiatrist, but am still struggling with achilles problems. I have new orthotics which have been OK, but I have also changed running style instead (to forefoot running which doesn't strain the achilles). It's a long hard slog getting back to any sort of distance and speed but I'm getting there.

I agree with wearing flat shoes. Heels were a no-no, and walking downhill also hurt as well I found.

I had quite a lot of physio with the tendonitis, and did streatching exercises using a band. Also bizaarly had some chiropractic treatment which I was sceptical about but I think speeded up the healing process (believe me after 4 or 5 months I would have tried anything!)

Good luck!
  • Frremers, that is what I think may have happened to me - every time I complained of pain, pod added a degree to the wedge on the orthotics, but I think the pain was coming from the peroneal and not the achilles (achilles is dodgy too but the two pains are in distinctive places). Building up the orthotics seems to have made it worse.

Since my first post I have taken the orthotics out of my trainers and, interestingly, walking is now almost painless, though running still hurts. Planning to do without orthotics for the next couple of weeks until I see orthopod again, so that I can be sure that what I'm doing is helping...