Another Newbie!

Comments

• Hi folks,

Am fed up with weather.  Had constant downpours for days now. Had very little snow here compared to elsewhere and its bitterly cold. Even a few sun rays would do. image

Suppose on the positive side Im resting my sore heels,... ho hum.

• Hey

I don't know about anyone else but i'm feeling seriously demotivated. I can't even be bothered to go on the treadmill and it's only in the garage! I know it's winter but i really am missing that feeling i used to get when i didn't have time for a run. It used to start in the pit of my stomach and wouldn't leave me alone till i'd gotten my trainers and watch on. I hope it comes back!

• Winter blues, I can't do my morning runs as no enthusiasm to get out of bed. Don't worry it will soon be spring!
  • Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting out, Sarah and Richard.  The evenings are definitely getting a bit lighter though - the longer days always helps.

I did my first 30 min / 3k jog tonight on the treadmill, doing 30s jogging, 30s walking.  It's the longest I've done up till now so am quite pleased. 

• Well done BG.   Keep the momentum going.

STILL raining here but easing off and still very cold.  My boys had football training tonight and I went up to the sports centre with them.  Paired up with another mum/friend and we ended up doing some laps of the all weather pitch just to keep warm.  We walked one lap, slow jogged one lap (shes not a runner but moderately fit).  Did well, managed to run this way for 35 minutes.  Judging by weather reports this is probably the only chance I'll get this week.  Anyway, we both enjoyed it and said we might even give it another go next week.

Like Richard says- roll on the spring! 

• Well done BG that's great.

I have managed to get out twice this week in the evenings as I can't seem to get out of bed early in the winter. I have also started doing a resistance session in the gym low weight high reps to try and improve my core fitness.

Hopefully going out later today but some of the paths are still covered in a couple of inches of ice.

• Last night I went out for a 'power' walk with my hubby.   Hubby has had 2 knee ops and has been told he'll never be able to run but can walk at a reasonable pace. 

We set off early evening and it was a bit breezy and spittling slightly.  Within 15 minutes of walking we had snow!  Totally unexpected (TV kept saying we'd get it but theyve been saying that for weeks and we've only had a  couple of light flurries).  It was lovely.  Bit wet so didn't lay, but it looked so pretty.  We walked for 56 minutes in the end.  It was so strange cos by the time we got home my thighs really ached.  Felt like Id been doing weights. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Weekend reports are much better so aiming to do a run on my own. 

• Well disaster hits yet again! My foot pain has gone completely but now i've managed to hurt my left knee again! God alone knows how given that i've been resting for the past 2 weeks. Told the doctor i couldn't bare the thought of being totally inactive for another 4 weeks so he suggested brisk walking until my knee recovers, so i took the dog for a steady three miles. Knee feels fine so fingers crossed this will clear up and my fitness levels won't have dropped too far in the meantime!
  • Weather still hit & miss but have managed one long run. Managed just under 7m on sunday evening. Took ages, really slow but was so good to get out again that I thought I'd make the most of it. Heels much better too.

Been tied up this week cos of half term but hoping to get a short run in tonight. Went to London for the day on Tuesday with my brother (hubby working) and my eldest son. Complete nightmare on the underground and british 'rip-off' culture for various attractions in full swing (... don't get me started on my soapbox). Walked for miles in the end,made the most of freebies eg. maritime museum/ observatory at Greenwich. Totally shattered that night and was in bed by 9.30pm!
    Hopefully legs will work ok for my run later.
  • Didn't make Thursday night's run, went out Friday instead.

Totaly amazing, ran almost 8m!  Longest distance for very long time.  Took a while to run it as well but not bothered about that.  Was just pleased I could keep moving for that length of time.   Hips and calves bit stiff saturday but feeling like the cat thats got the cream.image

• Doris that is great! I remember feeling like the bees knees when i first ran 3miles continiously so well done. Next thing you know you'll be running half marathons no problems!

Still not able to run. The impact on my knees hurts too much. But i have clocked up just over 18miles last week brisk walking with the dog. I'm averaging between 18 to 20min miles which is quite brisk for walking i supose although i'm not really sure what the desired pace is for brisk walking. When i was running i was hoping to eventually get down to 10min miles so i suppose perhaps 15minute miles???

• Wow, Doris, 8m is brilliant. 

Sorry to hear your knees are still painful, but keeping active with the walking is good, Sarah.  18 miles in a week is brilliant. 

I am struggling at the moment.  A weekend visiting relatives, followed by a few days at home meant lots of high fat/calorie foods and little exercise.  Am back at work now, but am struggling to get into routine again.  Really have the munchies, plus I ache after exercising, so am not really getting in the zone.  Not long now till the Duathlon so am starting to feel a bit panicky about being able to do it.  I will get round, but I don't want to end up walking it all.  Have got £225 in sponsorship, so that part of the preparation is going well.

• Sarah - Keep up with the walking.  All positive steps til you can get back to running bit more. Pace; whatever you are comfortable with.  Push too much and your knee niggles will flare up again. 

Was out at footy training again last nite and whilst the boys were put through their paces I teamed up with my friend and did jog/walk/jog circuits of the pitch again.  Kept going for 45 mins.  My friend was out of puff but said she felt so good for making the effort to do this.  She had a nice glow to her cheeks and a quiet satisfaction me thinks!   Got a bit of banter from the youngsters as we trotted round but all good fun, no nastiness.  Resting tonight and planning longer run for tomorrow.

BG - You'll be fine.  Im the same when it comes to holidays/breaks.  Eat too much and feel a bit 'heavy'.  You'll get back into it in no time.  Just give yourself that extra firm push the first couple of outings and you'll be away.  Thats a tidy sum in sponsership by the way. 

• Hi Everyone,

Doris - 8m that's fantastic!

BG- Don't worry you'll be fine just enjoy the day and your guaranteed a PB at the end of it and well done on the sponsorship.

I have been building up my running and going out 4 times a week up to about 6m. Suffering this week with sore ankles and calves but got a new pair of running shoes delivered today and after trying them on I definitely think my old ones are worn out so hopefully that explains the pains so going to rest over this weekend and hit the pavements again in my new shoes next week.

I am starting a new HM training programme next week so looking for a race in May and then concentrate on building speed as my goal for the year is <2 hrs in the GNR (there it is written down now so had better keep to it).

Have a great time everyone, doesn't it feel good now the days are getting longer and and milder, I even went for an early morning run the other day!

• Early morning run!  Well done Richard.

I must admit while driving to work on Wed I thought what a lovely morning it was for a run and was very tempted to turn around and go to the beach for a gentle run. 

Have been out for a mile walk/jog and then a 4 mile cycle with my trainer this morning, and what with the lovely weather as well am feeling a bit brighter.  Have booked some extra session with my trainer to get more running in between now and duathlon and that's helped with my lack of motivation too.

Think I've been putting too much pressure on myself for duathlon.  Have been looking on it as an end point, a final goal.  Instead need to think of it as an event along the way, if you see what I mean.

• BG - Just enjoy the duathlon and try not to put pressure on yourself, what an achievement to be starting how many people in the country can say that!

On my first HM the last long run was supposed to be 12 miles and I struggled all the way and had to stop after 7 and phone my wife to pick me up. My confidence was shattered and nearly pulled out, I was so nervous on the day until after we started and then began to enjoy it. Just enjoy the day,  the experience and afterwards you will be looking for your next challenge.

• Managed another 8m, but only just.  My knee really really ached  and had an odd niggle right behind and underneath the knee, almost like Id pulled something, but not quite?  It was as if the knee was on fire( not on outside, but deep inside the knee).  If its not one thing its another.  At least my heels/feet are ok now.

Am wondering whether I may be doing too much mileage too soon.  Have done a few 7 & 8 milers now when I had only been doing between 5 & 6m not so long ago.  Mind you I haven't forced it  as such cos my times have been quite slow  ( have been aiming to build distance rather than speed).  Feling ok today.  Was planning another longish run tomorrow night with my brother (haven't run with him for ages and now we've made arrangements) but will probably have to peg it back a bit and take it easy.

Haven't thought about emtering races for so long but have one in mind, charity 10k on Good Friday.  Done this one before and enjoyed it.  Good course, virtually flat so good intro back to race mode.

• Where is Everyone? Must all be out running! image
  • Hi Richard,

Newbie here, just looking through the threads and you looked lonely!!!

• Hi Andrew,

Just sat at work having a rest from concentrating!

I have just found a 20k race for the end of May so now I have another goal to aim for so I had better go out for a run tonight although it is raining here, at least i won't get to hot. When is spring here I can't  wait?

• Spring has definitely sprung down here in the South.  Bit cool, but lovely and sunny and lots of daffs just coming through.

Am going for a run with my trainer tonight.  Just half an hour, but she keeps me going when I'd find an excuse to go home early!  Straight after the run it's off to the gym for a spinning class.  Good training for the duathlon.

On Sunday I walked the mile to the gym, did a spinning class, then attempted to jog back but my shins were really painful each time I jogged so I ended up walking most of it.  Haven't had painful shins for a while.

• Hi peeps,

Am in 'moaning minnie' mode.  Had awful problems over the last 10 days or so.  Had the knee niggle(now better), the planta/ heels were much better but now returned with a vengeance and to add to all of that think I may have the start of shin splints.  What is going on?  Am I a total wreck?! 

Was out last nite  trying to run, just a short distance to see how recovery was going and had to stop after about a mile cos shins were so sore.  I stopped and tried a bit of gentle rubbing up and down the shin and set off again.  Managed a few hundred metres and had to stop .  Did a repeat of rubbing thing and carried on but a lot slower.  Still slightly uncomfortable but eventually eased off.  Cut short my intended run and headed home.  No ill effects today, but finding it all very frustrating!

... oh and welcome Andrew!

• Spring has sprung here today, nice and sunny. The last couple of days have been cold and wet and snow on Monday.

Went out last night as I couldn't get out of bed for my planned morning run probably due to the rain lashing on the roof.  Found a great hill with a quiet road an nice flat tarmac without potholes so will be using that for hill training. My run came to a halt just insiode a mile due to pain in my calf, tried to rest it and rube and continue but could hardly weight bare so had to hobble back in agony. Getting totally fed up with ut so trying to book an appointment with a sports physio for when I am home on Friday.

On the bright side entered another HM for November and have a 20k in mind for 31st May but can't apply until 1st April so need to get the calf sorted.

• Sounds like you both need a rest to me!!!

Not planned any races yet apart from another 5k in April. My aim is to get under 20:00 by the end of the summer. Will probably do a couple of 10K to but don't want to expect too much as first year of racing since I was at school.

• Got an appointment for Physio at 3:00 so hopefully will find out the cause and start some treatment as I hate it when I can't run and my dog is bothering me waiting for his  normal Friday run, guess he will have to wait a few weeks.
  • He got banned from the local gym as he kept jumping in the swimming pool even though there was a sign stating  "No Jumping"

• Could be worse, he could have been heavy petting!!!
  • It's official I've torn my calf so no running for at least 2 weeks but am allowed to use the X trainer. Good news is that I should be OK for 20k.
  • Sorry to hear that, Richard, but at least you have a diagnosis and know what to do now.