Options

How many units of alcohol to you REALLY quaff per week

I ask this because me and my fab mate at work were giggling over the fact that someone came round to ours at the weekend, had five pints in the pub and was very, very ill on the way home. He doesn't drink much. Or at all, usually.

Anyway, we got to talking and judging by the horrified expressions of those around us, we might have a problem. Both of us get home and will tend to have a glass of white whilst cooking (white doesn't count, btw). Then a bottle of wine shared with the OH with the meal, then possibly on a bad night another bottle will be opened but absolutely definitely not finished, except when the world's problems are being solved, obviously.

Holier-than-thou colleagues said we're a pair of complete alcoholics, and okay it's way more than 14 (or his case 21) units per week that's supposedly within the guidelines, but are we really that unusual?

Comments

• Options
    Most Doctors double what you tell them (so I'm told)
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    yep - they do, Dave.

• Options
    Normally drink very little, perhaps a glass or 2 of white at the weekend.

This weekend however, I'm going to a former work colleague's leaving do on Friday followed by hubby's work's Summer Ball on Saturday.

I'll try to keep count and let you know how much I drank...possibly on Monday when I can sit upright without throwing up. Just as well my mate is having our youngest until Sunday teatime!
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Sinewaif, no you're not. Certainly it's not healthy, but it's certainly not cirrhosis time (unless you're susceptible!!)

and different countries' governments have different ideas about safe levels anyway. I may move to Spain...
  • Options
    I don't drink much at all. Maybe one or two measures of spirit during the week, and split a bottle of wine with the wife at the weekend (okay, I'll tend to have 2/3 of it). If I'm out, and not driving, I might have two or three drinks.

So I've got some units going spare if anyone wants them...
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Sinewalf - no not unusual, and you're not heading for the gutter, but it is good to have a couple of alcohol free days a week just to give your body a rest.

It's also easy over time for the second bottle to become the norm, and a third bottle to happen occasionally.....

Nothing to worry about (unless you are particularly "addictive" people"), but worth keeping an eye on.

(I was an alcohol counsellor for many years, and know a lot of people who end up with problems through "social" drinking that gradually builds up over the years)

Personally, I can get squiffy on a couple of liqueur chocolates...........
  • Options
    hmmm, well spose it depends on me really. but more than i should ;D
  • Options
    Thank you, I'm feeling so much better now.

Off to the RW forum pub to celebrate!
  • Options
    its hard to work out but found this:

* A pint of ordinary strength lager (Carling Black Label, Fosters) - 2 units
    * A pint of strong lager (Stella Artois, Kronenbourg 1664) - 3 units
    * A pint of ordinary bitter (John Smith's, Boddingtons) - 2 units
    * A pint of best bitter (Fuller's ESB, Young's Special) - 3 units
    * A pint of ordinary strength cider (Woodpecker) - 2 units
    * A pint of strong cider (Dry Blackthorn, Strongbow) - 3 units
    * A 175ml glass of red or white wine - around 2 units
    * A pub measure of spirits - 1 unit
    * An alcopop (eg Smirnoff Ice, Bacardi Breezer, WKD, Reef) - around 1.5 units

• Options
    After an episode of heavy drinking it is advisable to refrain from drinking for 48 hours to allow your body to recover.dept of health

lol, something kk's never heard of ;D
  • Options
    Zero these days, except for the very occasional Guinness for medicinal purposes ;)
  • Options
    heehee! neither did i :)
  • Options
    Egads, kk, I just noticed you're catching up with me on the number of posts!:)
  • Options
    YorkieYorkie ✭✭✭
    A normal week would involve a whiskey before bed a couple of nights, a couple of liquid lunches during the week, and then maybe a couple of glasses of red wine at the weekend.

However, it is my stag weekend this weekend, starting Friday morning, so I shall probably drink the safe amount for three months in three days.
  • Options
    Why all that in 3 days, Yorkie? Won't your Mrs let you drink after the wedding?:o
  • Options
    CorinthianCorinthian ✭✭✭
    Used to do well over 60 units a week - now less than 10 most weeks

Am saving them up for Luton ;-)
  • Options
    ScreamScream ✭✭✭
    On average I suppose I'll drink one unit a week... but I only drink two-three times a year!

Can't beat a good binge every now and again.
  • Options
    I'm in training for supporting at Luton!:)
  • Options
    err, one bottle of red is one unit.. yes? I need to double my intake in training for luton. should we start a training thread based on units consumed - v - outrageous behaviour?
  • Options
    been fairly good in the first part of the year and cut right back to 3 or 4 at most nights a week drinking as I have been training fairly heavily - I find If Im running alot it helps me keep the drinking down.

Im afraid I am a lager lout - I never drink wine or shorts.

just finished running events for the year and am taking a few months of running so I am now back on the drink pretty heavy. yesterday I did 9 pints, tonight im on my seventh can, monday I drank 8 cans, probably wont drink tommorrow but going to a Napalm Death Gig on Friday so will probably do another 8 pints on friday and Sat night is unlikely to be much less than that. I drink way to much but I enjoy it so what the hell.
  • Options
    To be honest, I've never been asked how much I drink. I probably drink far too much though.

That said, if cancer didn't kill me.... and a broken back didn't stop me running.... it's unlikely a few beers too many a week will make much difference.

My motto these days is: "you have to die of something sooner or later, I'd rather it wasn't a broken heart or decrepitation"

;o)
  • Options
    Oh and the answer to the actual question was....

Right now... under considerable emotional stress....

1 bottle of rosé wine 4-5 nights a week.
    1 bottle of rum a week (yes, in addition to the wine).
    0 beer
    0 lager
    etc.
  • Options
    Usually share a bottle of wine a night with Mrs J.T. Sometimes goes into two, of a weekend. I'll quite often have a couple of pints of Guinness on a Sunday lunchtime aswell.
    We will occasionally go through periods of no drinking in the week which usually lasts about three days! Ah well - probably far too much but hey, I enjoy it.
  • Options
    Cath - I misread that as 'decapitation'...
  • Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    ...hmmm on average I would probably say I drink less than 10 units per week.

SOme weeks it will be more, but more often it will be less.

I had 2 pints on saturday after a race and was feeling rather tipsy. Wobbled home on my bike.