Early Morning Runs!

13»

Comments

• chrisg9chrisg9 ✭✭✭
    A question for you early risers

Do you get tired early/mid afternoon if you do an early run, and if so, how do you deal with this fatigue?
  • Coffee!

You do get used to the early starts after a while.
  • waycatwaycat ✭✭✭
    I don't get tired in the afternoon if I keep myself busy.
    However, were I to sit down for any length of time then I would probably nod off before too long!
    I agree with Man Of Steel - lots of coffee, and yes you do get used to early mornings.
    My youngest son - when he finally started to sleep through the night at age 2 and a half - slept through until abotu 4.00am, and then he was awake.
    Ever since then, 10 years ago nearly, I have been a very early riser.
  • fatgirlslim,
    i do all my running long and short ones in the morning because then they are done. I hate that niggling feeling that i get around 4pm the same time as that "4pm" slump at work when i then have to remind myself that i still have a run to do. My personal thought is there is nothing worse.
  • chrisg9chrisg9 ✭✭✭
    Up at 5.40 this morning to do 4 miles before work.

Really enjoyed the run and being out early. Although have yet to gain that smug feeling mentioned in other posts, instead am feeling tired and wanting my bed, not sure how i will get through the next 8 hours.

Tell me it gets better
  • Get yourself a 2.5 year old daughter who refuses to sleep after 6am, then it's no problem getting up and out!! Personally, it's hell getting up early in the morning, but I much prefer to get the midweek training sessions out of the way rather than have one looming over me all day at work and then have to face it when I get home. After the 1st miles over I'm awake and nodding "morning" to all the other early runners/dog walkers. Keep at it!!
  • I'm sure all of the good ideas have been posted already, and its all about individual preferences about what it takes to get you going in a morning. Here's how I cope...

- During the summer, its not too bad. I sleep with the curtains open, so the rising sun (even this winter) means I'm normally already half-awake by the time the alarm goes off.

- During the winter, its much more difficult. I struggle to run until my body warms up properly, so I found that keeping some food (jaffa cakes, obviously) and coffee or hot water in a flask by the side of the bed did the job. I'd have a feed and some hot drink inside me before I even need to pull the covers back.

- But far and away the most important aspect of me getting up for an early morning run is discipline. It is habit forming, as others have said, and does get easier with time. But I really have to force myself to get to bed early. There's no point me thinking that I can stay out late or bum in front of the television all night and then get up early and go for a run. I instead have to start winding down around 9pm, maybe watch a dvd or read a book in bed, and hope that i'm drifting off about 10pm. Then I have a chance of getting up at 5:45am, and not just re-setting the alarm.

I also find that I need plenty of time in-between waking up and starting the run. So I walk to work, drop my things off, then run and shower back at work. I can't just wake up and hit the roads, and really need to be awake for at least an hour before starting to run in earnest.
  • I don't find myself getting tired mid-afternoon...its more like mid-morning that it gets me! I agree with the coffee thing. Loads of water, green tea, and ceral after the run, but then a couple of strong cups of coffee before lunch. I then see the rest of the day out no problem at all.
  • I also think tha ta quick shower before the run, just literally standing under some warm water for a few seconds, really helps get my circulation going first thing. That's the biggest problem I have with the early morning run...the warm-up seems to take forever before it has any real effect on me.
  • Hello all. My name might give it away, but my best runs are all in the morning. I agree that it's forming the habit to get up that's the most difficult part, but if you think of it as just getting up at 5am (say) instead of 7am, then it just becomes routine.

At this time of year, it's great to get out there and run. I have lots of routes round the countryside and I love that part of the day - loads of wildlife around too, which is lovely to see.

Once it starts to get dark in the mornings, I have to use the treddie at the gym, tho. My gym opens at 6am so my waking-up time doesn't really change, it's just a bit of a drag not getting outside for a run. In winter, I save Sunday mornings for a long run after weekday mornings in the gym.

One good thing about the gym is that the treddie is so boring, you're forced to try other equipment to relieve the tedium, so I try to think of it as more of an all-round workout at that time of year.

Well done to everyone who's trying out the early morning for the first time. It does get better, honest!

EB
  • Morning All,

Hope everyone is still doing those morning runs, it's so much easier now that the sun is shining to get out of bed and run.

I ran to work today and feel fantastic, just had to tell someone, people at work just think I'm very odd.

Just had some porridge to keep me going until lunchtime too. Lovely day. Enjoy everyone!

CP
  • chrisg9chrisg9 ✭✭✭
    twice this week, up at 5.40. Hopefully again tomorrow

How the rabbits love me disturbing them as i trundle past
  • did my first ever early morning run, and i was on holiday!! up at 5.30 and set off at 6.15 for an 8miler. although hand on heart i'm not sure i'd have done it if i hadn't promised my cousin i'd go (she admitted she wouldn't have got up either if she hadn't promised me!). but i did really enjoy the smug feeling for the rest of the day.

i want to up my milage over the next few months so i'm going to have to get in the habit of at least 2 early starts a week, but at least i know now that i can do it and i enjoyed it. need to get into the habit before the dark mornings...