Who's up for this then?

Sounds like a daft thing to do, so is anyone out there signed up or thinking of doing it?

Comments

• Sounds like loads of fun actually - i'm considering it...
  • Hi Vicki - after having a not so good experience in the Half on Sunday, I think I might do better in the 10K as I know I can run that far without conking out or getting really bad blisters.
  • Yes i am up for it and dragging my mum round too! Sounds like good fun and for a really worthy cause.

• I'm a provisional. I'm not entering until the organisers e-mail me back to confirm that it's an accurately measured course. Two simple laps of Willen North and South lakes down add up to anything like 10kms.
  • I have signed myself and OH up for it!!!!OMG

Where are you all coming from?

Hows the training going and what times are you aiming for??

peep xx 

• I will be signing up soon. I'm getting a team of my friends together and we are coming from Luton, Rugby and Leamington. I'll be aiming for a time of about 1h5m but might no make it.

I did a V02 max training session last night and it was a killer! It's the first one I've ever done and although I didn't complete all the reps, I did more than I thought I would be able to so I am quite pleased image

Just looked at the training schedule on the offical website for beginners and it's 5 days a week, peaking at 25 miles a week - seems a lot for supposed 'beginners' to me. I'm a beginner in terms of pace, but i've been running for a few years now and I would struggle to fit in all that training, never mind being fit enough. I think it might put people off actually

• I'll enter if I'm up to it,  but only doing the odd one-miler at the moment before hitting the static cycle.    Today,  I did 6.36 for a mile on the treadie,  but would be lucky if I could currently average much under 8.00 per mile over 10kms.

• I did 4 miles on the treadie last night and actually really enjoyed it.

I used the RW pace calculator to see what pace my different types of run should be, and discovered that my long runs and recovery runs have been way too fast - I was basically doing every run as fast as I could manage. Not surprisingly, I was getting really tired, felt like I wasn't improving at all.

So I decided to try using the paces that this calcualtor gave me and suddenly I am enjoying my runs again, I don't feel like I might collapse at the end of them, I feel like I could keep going for hours. I'm now going to do one long run a week, but at a slow pace, two slow shorter runs a week, and one faster interval run and see how I get on at this 10k.

My revelation is that I run to enjoy it and to get fit, not for times. So Tim, if you feel like you will enjoy it, then go for it and enter! I'm sure there will be plenty of people there who would dream of averaging 8 min miles over 10 - me included!

• Vicky

Excellent that you've started to enjoy running again.   It's a classic mistake to believe that every run has to be done 'flat out'.    I notice it especially in the gym,  where some members believe that they've not worked out unless they're shattered and bathed in sweat.  Then,  of course,  you get insecure individuals who just have to run that bit faster than those around them to boost their titchy egos.

The reason that I'm not doing much running at the moment is purely that I've a compressed disc still in the neck.   So,  longer periods of impact work aren't to be recommended.   Therefore,  I do a fast 1 miler on the treadie simply to raise my metabolism before a long period of more sedate work on the static cycle.

Tim   

• Where will I find a pace caluclator???? It sounds as though i could do with taiking a look..

Peep x 

• Peep

The Macmillan Pace Calculator is the best.  Google it and you'll soon find the Macmillan site. 

• I find that I am too competitive with myself, that if each run in the gym wasn't faster than the last I felt like I wasn't working hard enough.

I did the MK half marathon in July and found that i couldn't stick to the training schdule because I was just too tired. It was only 4 days a week but I just couldn't do it.

Fingers crossed that this new strategy will help. The Mcmillan site looks great, I'll have to print it off and take it home to read otherwise I won't get any work done!

Thanks Tim

And very good luck to Peep

• I tried a tentative 5kms on the treadie tonight,  with 4 x minute long walk breaks simply to protect my neck from a continuous period of impact work.   Including the walk breaks,  did it in 26.59.   

Not too bad I guess.   But not good either,  considering that when fit and 'flat to the floor'  I can do 5kms on the treadie in approx 22.00 to 22.30.  

Still toying with the idea of Bananaman,  just as a bit of fun.  But really would have to see some pace improvement, otherwise I'd be looking at 55+ for 10kms.  

• Tim, what speed were you running at??
  • Peep

It varied - all over the place to be honest.  Hust having fun.   Slowest was probably 10.7kph (9 per mile pace).   Highest was maybe 14kph  (circa 7 per mile pace).

If I've feeling good this weekend,  I might straight run a 5kms.   Would be very disappointed not to go below 25.00,  even though not fit.  

• I can only dream of figures like that!

If i remember correctly when i did my RFL in June the winner came home in 22 mins. Obviously i have a very long way to go to even to be able to see the back of you!!!lol

I seem to be stuck at the mo, I just dont ever seem to get beyond 5k. I think its all mental but when i get there i just need to walk for a min.

I really need someone to start pushing me or giving me some idea of what my goals should be as i think i'm not getting the best from my runs and therefore not improving as quickly as i should be. 

On a good note i hit 35lbs down this week!!!getting rid of the excess weight is making it easier though!!

peep x 

• Peep

It's in the mind.  Definately.   It's not logical that each and every day your body would tire after precisely the same distance.

The trouble with lots of people (especially many that train indoors at my gym) is that they go through precisely the same routine every session.   Same distance, same speed, same time.    Fine if you just want to burn a few calories.   But no good if you want to "improve" your running,   either in terms of increasing the distance or increasing the speed.

If distance is your goal,  work on just that first.   Forget the pace.  Just tell yourself that each day or week,  you will run a bit further.   And you'll do it.    Only when you can comfortably run your target distance,  start to work on pace.

With full-marathons,  I notice particularly how much it was about the mind.   Sure leg strength and cardio fitness was really important,  but mental strength is everything.

The Nottingham Marathon particularly comes to mind.   It was a blisteringly hot day, I was dehydrated and there was a long stretch through a park along a lake.  So many times,  my body told me just to collapse onto the grass in the shade.   Each time, I had to tell myself that I wanted to go home with a medal and that was what I was going through.   And I did it.

• Your so right!

Yesterday i read my post above and before i knew it i was doing my first ever road run of a route that i normally cycle. As i realised that it was only me who was stopping myself from doing it.

I had to walk off some cramp in my toes but i ran 4.8 miles with a walk of about 30 metres during it. My time was not the quickest but i made the decision not to focus on time and just try and do it without stopping. I would have done if it had not been for the cramp. 

One fear met head on and looking forward to doing it again.

Now all i have to find is a 10k run and change between a slow long one and faster short one. (if that sounds right)

Thanks for taking the time to advise me, i really do appreciate it.

Peep xx 

• Peep

I'm guessing that you're fairly new to running and looking at your first 10kms race.  If I'm right,  then there's no need to obssess about actually running that full distance repeatedly in training.   If you train up to say 5 miles (8kms),   then the race atmosphere etc will easily carry you through the last mile or so.

My treadie run (with odd walk break) was a 4 miler in 36.30 (9.07 per mile).   It was horrendous.    I was ashamed to be doing it wearing an FLM finisher's shirt.  At the moment,  I just am not worthy to wear shirts like that.

Going to bed two hours later than normal probably didn't help.  But I'm guessing that the main issue today was an 8 item full English breakfast in House of Fraser.  I thought that it had been properly digested,  but obviously not.

I'm now in two minds about the Bananaman.   After 5 months of 'light duties',  my running fitness is very poor.   I'm not even sure if I could run 10kms just now.   

• Is it that obvious???lol

My first 10k in next month in the bananaman and whatever my speed i'm gonna do it. There fore you with 9 min miles if you slowed down a bit should run all over me and go the distance.so you deffo wont be last..lol

I did my FRL 5k in june in 36 mins so your a min up on me, and i was very happy with that time, just goes to show!! 

You made me chuckle about the shirt, but i think you should wear it with pride as you earned it and that has never changed. The only thing that has is that you had to take a break and thats nothing to be ashamed of.

I bet you felt ill running on a full brekki - i know i would have been. 

• Yesterday,  I did indeed enjoy a super brekkie.   Fried bread,  mushrooms, beans, tomato,  egg,  sausage,  bacon,  black pudding,  toast and strong coffee.   Yum.  But not good to run on.

I slept better last night,  except when my rather emotional daughter returned from clubbing with her girlfriends for the last time before they all go off to uni.   She was very tearful.

Today,  I'll try the treadie again.   Have got to put in one or two better 5kms or 10kms.   Both ar nice distances against which to judge progress.    Yesterday's 6.44kms (4 miler in old speak) is a little less of a measure.

I'll make you a promise.  If I run sub-9 per mile pace today (and stay injury free),  then I'll chase bananas around Willen.

• Today, I didn't go to the gym with a negative mindset.   Instead, I told myself that I was a "runner" who was injured and so out of condition.

Completed 10kms quite comfortably in 53.24  (1st 5kms - 27.08,  2nd 5kms - 26.16), with no walk breaks whatsoever.    That equates to 8.35 per mile average pace.   Time will tell how the neck will react to such a protracted period of impact work.

So,  looks like I might have to chase bananas next month. 

• I've signed up for a laugh. Need the motivation to get myself back into running again after nearly 2 months off after I strained a tendon in my foot. Blasted thing swelled up like a balloon and took 3 weeks of anti inflamatories to settle down - and that was after resting and icing the thing for 2 weeks myself.

Tim - I used to live near the lakes and regularly plonk round both lakes. My Gramin makes it 6 miles if you go round 2 and a bit times.

• Doogle  -   I've always been told that it's 4km around both lakes.  Hence why, when they held Race For Life there,   they always took the ladies around the woods at the top of the North Lake.    But the organisers of Bananaman assure me that it's a measured 10km for their race.  

I went to the gym with a runner's mindset for the second time in 3 days.   Completed 5kms on the treadie in 24.46.    Legs and fitness slowly improving,  but a long way to go.   Still,  I always, always run faster outdoors than on the treadie.

• Tim,

Well done you!!! banana's here you come!! YEY

I was equally thrilled as i re-did my 5m road run while OH pulled 3yr old in trailer behind his bike.

I did the whole 5m without stopping and in 50 mins - 10min miles runs for me WOW!! 

It was lovely and i was chuffed. God i love this running lark...lol

I'd love to know what the intense burning/cramping feeling in my toes is though, as its very painful and having just stopped getting the pain in my hip so i'm well peeved.

Really looking forward to the run but a bit worried about my OH who has signed up to do it with me but has not done any running yet and is very unfit. I will feel so guilty if i go on without him, but i really want to do it in my best time.

My sis lives in MK and used to run around the lakes but felt unsafe so now only runs on the treadmill - really sad....as they look so lovely and i'd love to have runs like that available to me.

Could'nt run today as got beat up at work (training) and have done enough physical stuff but back out tomorrow.

How long before the run will you do your last run and how far will you go? 

• Peep

Well done.  At your stage, you'll find that you'll improve by leaps and bounds.  You leg problems might be simply because you've moved out of your old 'comfort zone' and are giving your muscles a good workout.   Or possibly because you're wearing the wrong type of running shoe for your gait.

Pre-race,  I'd give yourself 3 or 4 days on 'light duties' and don't run at all on the Friday or Saturday.    Less really is more.

Please don't feel tempted into running with your other half.   He'll feel guilty because he's held you back and you'll feel frustrated that your race time's not lived up to expectations.  

6.22 miles (ie 10kms) at 10 per mile =  62+ minutes.   And that's based on your training speed.   In a month's time,  you should be sub 1 hour. 

• Banged in 24.40 for 5kms on the treadie tonight.   Quite pleased with myself.  That's two nights in a row that I've done this distance at sub 8 minutes per mile pace.    Have to stay grounded and remember that there is a world of difference between 5kms and 10kms.    Still,  these faster 5kms will improve my fitness. 

• Just me on this thread for now.  But that's OK.

A really good 5kms on the treadie tonight in 24.16  (7.48 per mile pace).   The speed is slowly returning.   But I'll need to try another 10kms this weekend,  to improve endurance.

• Good quality 10kms treadie training run in 52.04  (26.11, 25.53),   albeit that doing this distance at any speed is still very hard work.    But a think that 'perky' mid-week 5kms will guide me in the right direction.

• Hi Tim - glad you're doing something, maybe see you for the bananas, I haven't decided yet. Got new trainers now so won't get blisters!