Options

Who's up for this then?

Comments

• Options

Sorry hun been away,

Your coming on in hugh leaps and strides and i'm sure it's goin to be a while before the smile goes!: )

I have only managed 1 tred run this week and it was awful. Just lost all the motivation and was'nt enjoying it so quit after 2.5m.

Back at work tomorrow so its going to be awkward to get any runs outside in so just need to get my head round the treddi again.

I'm really looking forward to catching bananas and hope it gives me some more motivation to reach my next goal......Oh bugger...just realised that i dont have one after the 10k so any ideas would be welcomed...lol 

• Options

There's the Bedford Half Marathon in December.   It's very well organised and has a pretty route through the countryside  (it's not actually in Bedford at all). 

• Options

There's the Bedford Half Marathon in December.   It's very well organised and has a pretty route through the countryside  (it's not actually in Bedford at all). 

• Options

Was just browsing and recognise a few familiar names on this thread from the NSPCC MK Half (Vicki, Ice Maiden, Tim of MK ...!).  How are you all?  Vicki - sounds like your training is going brilliantly, well done!

Won't be doing this one myself but only because up in Scotland doing the River Ness 10k same day but I hope you all have an excellent race!  A few from our club are doing this one and it does look like great fun.

Tim did you say you did the Robin Hood marathon one year?  I did the relay marathon there yesterday - looks like a fairly tough course (I heard the strong winds near the end made it tougher still), not sure I'd have wanted to do the full there!  May do the Half next year though as I enjoyed the start leg that I did (despite the hills!).  My first marathon is going to be Edinburgh next May.  Bit the bullet and went for it after deciding I'd like to see what a full is like (once may be enough!).  Doing that with a friend of mine so that should make things easier motivation-wise!

Anyone doing Biddenham in 2 weeks?  Or Althorp in October?

• Options
    ... by the way - sorry to butt in!  Just had to say hi when I recognised quite a few names on this thread!  image
  • Options
    Hi SBS - I'm still on the fence here. It might be the best bet for getting a proper 10K time this year, but on the other hand I might carry on practising with the MK Parks 10Ks for free until something comes up in the spring. I was last in the MK parks run at the start of September (of the folk who started on time, the only people I passed were some older - yes I'll be there one day - ladies who set of 15 mins before the rest of us). But it was after a night of not much sleep and too much Chinese food on a hot day so I got a time that wasn't as good as I hoped (1 hr 6 mins). Around Willen I'm on home ground, so should be quicker. May also do the Bedford half as suggested by Tim, but only if I get some more longer runs in before then - I'm doing 10+ on Sundays now (well twice).
  • Options

Lol Icemaiden - I know exactly who those ladies are as they belong to my club and they always get a headstart!  They're lovely women with a great sense of humour so I'm always glad when I do races and parks run with them as they really cheer the day up. 

1 hour 6 minutes is very good for a 10k (and Parks and Run are often a little longer than 10k anyway) - especially when you factor in Chinese food and a hot day!  I did Stowe 10k with a friend of mine in 1 hour 10 as I had to factor in about half a dozen G&T's the night before (I never learn! image) and a hot day and a few unexpected hills.  We decided to take it easier as they weren't even recording the times anyway ... no point in a busting a gut when you're not feeling up to it!

As you're doing 10+ miles (absolutely brilliant by the way - I should be up to that again myself but recent illness has set me back on my plan a bit), and you're clearly a local lass, were you thinking of doing the Leighton Buzzard 10 miler this Sunday by any chance?  I had a 10-miler scheduled in my training plan for either this weekend or next and thought maybe it would motivate me a bit as that coincided!  Depends whether friends that are visiting us on Saturday stay overnight though - would feel rude shooting off early to do a race on Sunday morning, not the ideal host!  Luckily you can enter on the day, so I may just do that if time.

• Options
    Hi SBS - Sunday is my birthday so racing not a good idea - I think I'll just do the 10+ and a bit more for the fun of it. But increasingly coming down on the idea of doing the Bananas and getting that in the bag. Must go, busy burning dinner.
  • Options

"Happy birthday to you", "Happy birthday to you ..." !  <singing - offkey - but still signing!>

Did you ever think you'd hear yourself say about doing 10 miles or more "just for fun"?!  (especially on your birthday ... respect!  Well impressed!) I never thought I'd hear myself say "maybe I'll do a 10-mile race this weekend on the offchance" either!!  It's great to love running so much!!

Outrunning bananas has got to be done at some point in life ... I'd go for it Icemaiden!!

Thinking the same about Santa Runs ... decided that this is the year I run in a silly santa costume to finish the year off on a dignified note!  London Santa Run here I come! 

• Options

SBS

Yes, I did do the Nottingham Marathon last year.  Great town,  awful marathon.   Following this April's London Marathon,  I retired from 26.2 milers.   I just hated the training regime so much.

It'll now be 10kms and half-marathons here and there for fun.  I'm hoping to do the Bananaman 10kms still,  but neck playing up again this week.  If I do run, my target (probably too ambitious) will be to go sub-50 mins.

I was always promised a relay leg in the Edinburgh Marathon, which would be great as it's where my wife was born (and where her dad still lives).    

• Options
    There you go, I've just completed the registration details for this event, so I'll be there now. Hope to see you SBS and maybe Tim. I'm still running in the black kit with flashes.
  • Options

Good for you Icemaiden - I bet you'll love it!  I'm doing River Ness in Inverness on same day but would have done this one if I was down here.  If they do it again next year, definitely count me in (unless there are any iffy reports afterwards of course!  But I can't see that happening - it reckon it will be great fun).

Tim - do Edinburgh Relay next year then! ("Hairy Haggis Relay" - some of our club have done it before and really enjoyed it).  Will maybe see you there!  You can commiserate with me (or say "I told you so"!) as I wonder why on earth I'm doing a full marathon after all!  Icemaiden if you fancy a trip up to Edinburgh (not sure but I think they also offer half marathon if you didn't fancy a full one there - though it's supposed be a very good first marathon).

Would have hated to do the Nottingham Marathon - I think it's at its best with the Half, that's the impression I get at least.  The relay was awful, badly organised but I won't let it put me off for the Half in the future (at least I won't have to walk miles back through isolated industrial estates to get back to the start/finish!  Long story!).

• Options

I just had to post as i'm so thrilled!!!

I posted a few days ago that i was worried about my Oh being too unfit to do this race with me - well he read that post yesterday and got really upset and today he ran with me!!!

we did 5 miles and he did so well, running 4 before he walked and never gave up! i'm so thrilled both for him and me as i have now got a running buddy.

He even pushed our 4yr old in his jogger all the way. Well he showed me did'nt he??

He's already planning to go for another on Friday!

It was lovely having someone else to run with and it being him just made it wounderful.

I'm short, i'm so happy and looking forward to our first 10k so much more then ever!!

See you all there

Peep xx 

• Options

Lucky you Peep - my hubby doesn't run - and absolutely nothing will persuade him to!  I can't even run while he cycles as he finds it impossible to cycle that slowly without falling off!!  So, he can't understand my obsession with running (but then I can't relate to his obsession with cars, to be fair!).  Never mind - I'm now used to him rolling his eyes each time I mention I've entered yet another race!

Really good on your OH - hope you both have a really enjoyable first 10k.  I reckon this race would be perfect, it does sound really good fun.  I would definitely have done it if I wasn't up in Scotland at the time but I'll look forward to reading the feedback comments on RW and will no doubt will enter next year's race.

• Options

I never though i'd ever get to him go with me as he's so against exercise - but he is supportive and thats was his downfall. He said last Feb that he would do this race with me as he never dreamed that i would keep up the weight loss and keep fit regime i started back then.

So when i enrolled, he got enrolled and told when he came home from work.lol

I know i'm very lucky and i do count my stars frequently.

Does anyone know if we get a t-shirt for this race and has anyone recieved their race pack yet??

Peep xx 

• Options

Peep

Everyone HAS to run in the yellow t-shirt,  which you'll receive with your race pack.

I managed 24.09 for 5kms yesterday,  so am hopeful that I might be able to get close to 50 minutes in a 10kms race -  assuming that my endurance stands up.   But I need to enter first.  

• Options

Hi All,

Good to see some more familiar names on here again! Hi SBS - how are you? and Icemaiden??

My training is still going well - i've been doing a much bigger variety of speeds. Proper recovery runs where I don't try and kill myself! and VO2 max interval runs where I do try and kill myself.

My last interval run was on Tuesday - I'm supposed to do 3 * 800m at 10.1kph. I managed 2 * 800 at 10.1, then one 600m, then a 200m, so i did the full lot, just with a little break in the last one (only 2 mins, whereas the gaps in the others are 6 mins).

This is a big improvement on the first time i tried, where I could only manage 500 and 400 in the second and third intervals.

Also, I've managed to get together a team of 8 to do this one so it should be good!

Sounds like your running is coming along nicely Tim.

• Options

Icemaiden you can join my team if you want a discount on the entry fee - we are going to be called the Hungry Runners I think!

Peep - you were talking about another target - if Bedford half is too much then you could try Luton marathon - don't panic! you can do a relay with in a team of 3, so it's only a third of a marathon. There are loads of RW people doing it so if you can't get a team together yourself, go to the thread (link to it on the front page at the mo) and join a team there...

• Options

And another thing!

Can anyone tell me more about these MK races in the parks - I;ve heard a bit before and would be really interested...

Thanks

I'll stop posting now - time to go home

• Options

Hi Vicki - sounds like you're doing  a lot of technical training, very impressive!  I won't see you for dust then at next year's MK Half if you're doing that one again!  I'm just plodding along still, maybe working towards greater distance than I did before but still plodding! 

Like the sound of the Luton Marathon Relay ... didn't know you could do the marathon as a relay.  I would love a positive relay marathon experience after the dire Robin Hood one - but don't want to gatecrash!  If anyone wants a team member to make up numbers (I'm about a 10minute miler, so not overly speedy - but I'd work hard on my leg I promise!), then please let me know.

Parks and Run are brilliant Vicki - really well organised I've found.  Just trying to find the link for you ...

• Options

Here you go Vicki ... http://www.theparkstrust.com/parks-trust-getactive/documents/Parks_and_Run_2007.doc

Haven't got to as many of those as I would have liked this year but always enjoy them when I do make it.

In case there's any problems with the link, this is the relevant parks trust info page:  http://www.theparkstrust.com/parks-trust-getactive/home.asp?r=19443

Of course, anyone who's doing the Bananaman will miss the next one(!), as I will, but there's always 4th November.  Last one I did was July and that was a really nice run mostly along canal (dodging fishermen's poles was interesting!)

• Options

I know this may be an odd question, but ladies how tall are you, how old and how much do you weigh??

I consider myself too fat to run a 1/2 marathon and was just wondering if i'm being stupid!

I'll start - i'm 37 years, 5' 4" and 10s 10lb.

Peep xx

• Options

Of course you're not too fat Peep!  I think capability to run a Half is down to putting in sufficient training and therefore leads to increased fitness level.  Everyone can do it provided they put in enough training (some people even manage without proper training but they don't usually enjoy the race as much!).

I'm still overweight - another stone to lose but to give you an idea, I ran last year's Half (sounds funny but I honestly can't remember how much I weighed for this year's July Half!) when I weighed 11½ stone (actually, maybe nearer 12 stone, thinking about it).  I'm 39 and 5'5".  Last year the toughest obstacle was my lack of training and the humidity on the day, more so than my weight.

This year I think I was around 11 stone but what helped me lose a bit of weight was the training up for the Half (certainly wasn't my change in diet, that didn't happen!) - all those long distance runs.  All that practice made it my most enjoyable Half to-date.  So - training up for a Half was a win-win situation!  Go for it Peep - from what you've described, nothing holding you back!

Hope that helps!

SBS

• Options

Thanks for that advice, it does make perfect sense. I suppost that i'm just lacking in confidence. Hopefully i'll have more idea of how i'd cope after the 10k.

10m or 1/2 marathon just sound too daunting - although i must say that when i signed up for my 5k, being able to do that was only a distant dream. Now i'm on for the 10, then who knows where.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll have to see where my efforts take me 

Well done you though xxx 

Peep x 

• Options

Peep - we were all there once.  Everyone has to start somewhere but not everyone keeps going with it.  Well done you for looking forward and signing up for your first 10k. 

After doing a couple of 10ks, 10 mile or Half marathon distance will start to look achievable too, believe me!  Take it from a recognised Race Addict (actually got awarded a shield from my running club this year "Race Addict 2007" I kid you not!).  I started with a 5k race for life (same story for a lot of female runners I'm sure), then did a cancer research 10k, so went down a similar route to you.  So be warned:  running is hugely addictive!  What's the betting that a year or two from now you'll be planning which marathon to do?!  Never say never!  image

• Options

OMG - how many races have you done??

I looked into joining a local running club as i think i'd do well with the challenge but my OH did'nt want me to. i guess he is just unfamilure with me doing something by myself and he does'nt feel ready to come with me (doubt he ever will).

I'll have to leave it for now and to be honest if he continues to run with me then you never know. So if you see someone looking longingly at you when your out - give me a wave.lol

I'd never say never and hope i'm good enough to go the whole way - i'd be happy to have 1 marathon under my belt xxx 

• Options

Me too (re having one marathon under my belt) - haven't got there yet!  But with any luck, will survive Edinburgh next May!

Peep - do you live in MK area?  MK Lakeside Runners is hugely beginner-friendly.  There are all levels ranging from those doing 1 min run/1 min walk right through to pretty fast marathon runners.  We're a friendly little club and very used to welcoming beginners.  Worth trying us out ... maybe join us for a run on a Monday or Wednesday, 6:15pm.  We meet at Willen Lake, corner of the big cafe/restaurant (next to the hotel).  Maybe your OH can be persuaded to come with you?  We're not at all scary I promise!

Regarding your question about number of races ... have lost count but it's probably about 20 or so this year so far (not many compared to some people though!)

• Options

Hi SBS and Peep  and Vicki - I've already sent my money off so I don't think I can be in your team for the bananas.

Peep - I am the same weight and height as you but six years older. I got round the half mara in March on 10 weeks training (as an alternative from gym work I set myself the challenge at Christmas because I needed a kick in the pants to do more fitness stuff and wasn't using the gym enough). The July half was hard for me because the weather was hot, I had horrific blisters and I went off too fast, but I got round 2 mins faster than the first one and didn't actually die of blisters or heat! And I'll probably do the Bedford one in December just to try running that distance somewhere that's not MK, but will take a view on the weather as the date comes up.

I've just done just under 10K on the tready in an hour tonight, so I expect my time for the bananas to be about the same as I did for the 10K in Shenley, just over an hour as the route is flatter and in a place I run anyway. I know I'm loads fitter now than I was a year ago just because I've done lots of running - I'd never have run that fast on the tready last year, and was scared to get up to 8.5km/hr.

I haven't really lost any weight doing running (a couple of pounds early on but they piled back over the summer - there's something about hayfever meds which affect me I think - and I'm trying to cut down a bit on eating to loose a few pounds, so would like to be under 10 st one day, but it won't be this year), but at least I haven't gained any, which is always a problem as one gets older.

And I don't care if I'm at the back of a large event because someone has to be, not being at the back is going to be a matter of practise and more running. Hope to see you at the Bananas and the MK parks runs at some point.

• Options

I'll be there - in the yellow t-shirt that i'm gonna start collecting.

I'm striving to get under 10s but its such a slow process. I'm sure i'll get there one day but as long as i'm getting fitter i'm happy.

If i can get my sis to do races with me then i'll be doing alot more in MK as she lives there. Unfortunatly she's the slim one at 7 1/2stone and has been running forever so i've got a long way to go to beat her.lol

peep xx 

• Options

Dont know if you know or use them but Itrain.com are giving all the training recording for free at the mo.

Peep x