Winning a 10k

Hi all,

I run for fun – that is I enjoy running. I have entered several races, a variety of distances including 10 km, half marathons, 20 milers and one marathon. As mentioned I enjoyed them all, but none more so than the 10ks. I will get to the point now.

My PB on a ten K is 39 mins last year. My weakness is my training schedule, I don’t have one when I do Ignore it! Can anyone suggest ways of me improving my time in order to be able to win a ten k race? My highest place is 12th so far. I recon if I can get my practice time down to around 34-35 min mark I will be able to win a ten K hopefully by the end of September!

Would joining a club be beneficial? I am 23 and take a dim view of clubs for some unknown reason.

Comments

• Dlongie it would have to be a very low key race for you to win a 10k in 34-35 mins, most 10ks are won nearer to 31 or 32 mins.

To run to your potential then you have to be committed, disciplined and smart in your training.

Maybe you don't like being told when to run and how far to run and thats why you don't like the thought of joining a club.

What does your weekly training schedule normally consist of? maybe someone more knowlegeable than me could advise you on how to make improvements. I think it would be very difficult to improve enough by September to win your target race.
    Good luck.
  • Try out your local clubs.

You have obviously got stamina and natural ability.

You need to look for a club that concentrates on training (has coaching) rather than just social.

Do you train on hills?
    Uphill develops strength, and downhill can help with speed.
  • Going from 38-39 min to 34-35 min is likely to take 12 months of decent training. I wouldn't be too hopeful about September.
  • agree with JRM. Took me 12 months to get from 38 mins to 35 mins, am hoping for a sub 35 this year sometime. Having tried running a 5 min mile pace I think a 30/31 min 10k may be a while off. But if you think you can win then go for it.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    There are low key races you can win in around 35 minutes - in fact depending on how low key you want to go you can win in slower times than that. Why not target different distances though - some marathons are won in relatively poor times - Nottm was won in 2.50ish one year.
  • im thinking club running may be the answer.

Can anyone recommend a decent club in the Walsall/Birmingham region?

on the subject to training, i have recently purchased a HRM but dont know if i am using it right.

i run 4-5times a week but to no set scheduele sometimes long runs (12miles) some times short (2-3mile). normally i run this race route (10km).

i am aware of fartleking and hills but yet to include this in my running.

Bad news is being a college lecturer i have two forign holidays in one month before my 10 km and marathon (wolves) oh dear!
  • There's Tipton Harriers, a very strong running club with loads of athletes capable of sub 32 mins 10k.
    Birchfield Harriers in Perry Barr, more of a track club but one of the strongest in the UK
    Aldridge Running Club, not quite sure where their base is, a good road and distance running club.
    There is also Oak Park Runners (I think thats the name) based around Walsall.Google the name?
    Go along for a couple of sessions and see whether they make you feel welcome!!
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Dlongie, I think your timescales for such a huge improvement are very ambitious (but good luck!) I ran my first race which was a 10k, last October in 40:15. As of a couple of weeks ago, I've managed to get this down to 36:47 - which incidentally was good enough for a '1st Senior Male' award; the race was won by a female runner. So that goes to show what can happen if you pick your races! I'm well aware that this was an extremely low-key event but then that's beside the point - being at the sharp-end of any event and being able to compete for places as well your own times does add another element, and I'm sure this is why you want to be heading towards 34-35 mins. Me too. All the best.
  • Please let me know where I can go in order to win a 10k in 34 minutes!
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    London. Maybe it's the smog?
  • Dlongie,
    I ran my 1st 10km 3 years ago, as prep for a Sept marathon, 39mins dead.

Joined a club last June, and even though there are no coaches at this club, just a mix of runners, of all abilities, (mostly slower than me), some great advice, training sessions, car share & which races are worth doing, flat,which are not!
    My next 10k am looking for sub 34 mins.
    avoid.
    Wish I had joined a club earlier!
    Also cheaper race entries, which covers my club membership.
    Try it, you might be suprised.
    Might be worth getting a club with a track night, if you a speed merchant???
    Goodluck!
  • You can find 10k's that get won in 34-35. I packed up running for about 18yrs. I can remember my last race was 32:44 for 10K and I came 55th. this year I've actually won two races- a 4m in 22 and bits and a 5K in just over 17. Can't belive how much the standard has fell but if you train hard anything is possible.
  • My weakness is my training schedule, I don’t have one when I do Ignore it!

There's your problem.- People could give you all sorts of advice, but until you find out why you ignore the schedules you've given yourself in the past, then I can't see you following one now.
    - I think you need to start thinking of your "running" as "training".- And work out how to take a structured approach.- Then you can address what your "training" should involve.-
    I think joining a club would be useful here since most club "runs" have a particular training goal.
  • Thanks all who posted.

i have taken the advice on board. after my holiday i will join a club and establish a decent routine of training. i will let you know my result at the end of sept!
  • I hope it all goes well for you.
  • sven27sven27 ✭✭✭
    Dlongie - If you want to come down to join in with the Tipton Harrier lads let me know ( contact me by email ). You dont have to join if you dont want, but are more than welcome to join in some sessions.
    I started running 5 years ago (age24) and went from 36.30 10k to 29.26 10k this year.

There is a good group down Tipton with various abilities so theres always going to people you can train with at similar standard.

Myself, I work in Walsall area and a couple of lads live out that way aswell.
  • sven27sven27 ✭✭✭
    Dlongie - Tried to email you back, but it wont let me to your college account for some reason?

Tipton costs £50 a year membership, but just come out and train with us first before splashing out. If we use the track its 60p a time.

Im off on holiday for next 10 days so drop us another email with your details and I'll call you back.

Training nights are Tues and Thurs at 6pm. Also some meet up at Clun at 8.30am on a Sunday for long run.
  • sven27sven27 ✭✭✭
    Dlongie - Tried to email you back, but it wont let me to your college account for some reason?

Tipton costs £50 a year membership, but just come out and train with us first before splashing out. If we use the track its 60p a time.

Im off on holiday for next 10 days so drop us another email with your details and I'll call you back.

Training nights are Tues and Thurs at 6pm. Also some meet up at the Club at 8.30am on a Sunday for long run.
  • YOU CAN WIN 10K RACES WITH A SLOW TIME IT DEPENDS ON WHO TURNS UP ON THE DAY AND THE COURSE PROFILE! MY PB IS 34:48 AND I CAME 3RD IN THAT RACE. BUT I RAN THE BLANDFORD BRIDGES 10K IN 36:03 AND THE MAIDEN NEWTON 10K IN 36:38 WHICH ARE IN DORSET AND I WON THEM BOTH! IT COMES DOWN TO TRAINING, I STARTED RUNNING JUST UNDER 2 YEARS AGO, SO I HAVENT BEEN RUNNING FOR LONG. BUT WITH HARD TRAINING YOUR TIMES WILL DROP!
  • OK HAB! NOW TURN THE CAPS LOCK OFF BECAUSE YOU ARE SHOUTING AT US!!!!

• I have won a couple of races in relatively poor times, it feels cheap to me! I'd far rather run better but be some way down in a stronger field.
  • Me too JFB, but I did enjoy winning my only open 10k, one of the races which HAB alludes to above in Dorset.

HAB, your time at Maiden Newton would suggest a low 33 10k at least on a flat course. Do you have one planned?
  • Sorry 210 ive turned the caps off now! Hi there BarnsleyRunner. Ive not got any plans for a flat 10k just at the moment. However I am doing a ok ish 10k next saturday in Langport in Somerset. Im pleased that you say that my time at Maiden Newton would relate to a low 33 but I dont think im close to that yet. I would be happy with 34mins to be honest! Ive just done a race tonight which was 3.5 miles. I finised 4th - 5 seconds behind a runner that can run 34 mins dead and 11 seconds behind the winner who can run 33mins 45secs so Im not far off!
  • At Maiden Newton you finished quite a way in front of the 34 mins dead runner. Was he having a bad day? I notice you also beat him at the Charmouth Challenge. What happened to you at Portland 10? A training run for you?
  • I take it you mean Dave Caddy? Yeah at the maiden newton he had driven back from Scotland earlier that day so he was not 100%. The Charmouth race was a really hot day and Dave says he is not good in the hot weather. As for the Portland 10! I ran a half marathon the evening before which wasnt a good idea really! So i was knackered for the 10 mile. Are you the one that raced at maiden castle last month?
  • That'd be me. Not fully recovered from 3 marathons since April. I ran with Dave at London for a while and just beat him. He's running really well at the moment. We've joined your club 2nd claim for when we're down in Dorset. Do you train with them on club nights?
  • Yeah I train with egdon now and again, but not that often to be honest. Im Ian, Daves mate. I was at the club presentation/dinner back in January. Whats your 10k pb?
  • 33:41 (twice) - Leeds Abbey Dash 2003 and Dewsbury 10k 2005. I've also done a 33:45 (Salford 2007) and 33:46 (Leeds 2006). I'd love to get further down.

My wife (who also posts on here) was with Egdon Heath for 10 years and club champion in her last year there in 2005.

I remember you at the dinner and MCL. Looks like a good competition for club champion between you two.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    LOL at this thread.
    I'd love to win a race however low key.

In fact i pick some low key races..but have never finished lower than 8th in a 5k and about 9th in a 10k!!

and the winning times of most races 10k wise i'd seen locally are won in 33-34mins.

30-31mins? bets give up now!