Standard of race

I'm thinking of entering the Bramhall race this year but previously I've only entered the Manchester Women's 5 milers. I'm therefore unsure of the standard of the race. As I only run at a 10 minute mile pace, I don't want to be in the embarrassing position of being surrounded by 'professionals' and be hopelessly last !! If this is the case, I would prefer to train for next year's event. Has anyone got any advice or experience of last year's race ?

Comments

• Cath,

There are always a mix of people especially on shorter race like this. You'll get the top notch athletes that win, the good club runners, the mediocre club runners, the slow club runners and then the local joggers who fancy having a go even though they've never run 5 miles in their lives.

You're most unlikely to come last just as you're most unlikely to come first.

The main thing is that it'll be a great event that you'll enjoy and when you finish you'll have a t-shirt that provides evidence that all your training was all worthwhile.

And if you're disappointed with your time then you'll have an easy time beating it in your next race.

Go for it !
  • Hi Cath, as a much slower runner than you, I run 10.30 to 11 min mile pace I too worried about being last in races. Well I've been last a couple of times but have done very well personally getting a PB in one of the races and enjoying both experiences. Give it ago, enjoy the race and I'm sure you'll run the best time for you. Lets know how you got on.
  • Thanks for the quick responses and the encouragement. I'm convinced !!! Cheers for that.
  • I've just started running again at the ripe old age of 51. Without wanting to sound egotistical, I used to be pretty good when I was at school as the only guy who beat me regularly in cross country events went on to represent England in the Olympics over 10k.
    My problem is I always believe I can pull something extra out of the bag without putting in the required training. I am visiting relatives in Stockport on the day of the race and quite fancy having a go. The trouble is I'm not up to 5 miles yet. I've been running three miles a day 5 to 6 times a week for the past 6 weeks or so. I've run 4 miles at 8.5 minutes per mile a couple of times recently and am wondering whether I can manage that extra mile. I certainly feel as though I should be able to manage it but I do wonder whether it's a mile too soon!
  • Kevin

If you can run 4 miles at 8.5, then go for it. If you need to slow down, slow down. The excitment of just being in a race should pull you through anyway.

Neil
  • I know a guy who is in his 70's and was quite a runner in his day.His knees have quit on him but he hasn't, he now speedwalks courses, he nearly always comes last but it does not matter one bit.He is very popular at the local events and has his own 'groupies' at the line cheering him in.So don't be phased by the faster runners it really is the competing that matters.
  • The furthest I had previously managed was 4 miles and it just about killed me( although I did recover very quickly). I have just returned from my first run since last Thursday (circumstances conspired to prevent me going out over the weekend). I chose a new course for today and determined to run 5 miles. I was prepared to walk if necessary, however,to to my amazement I ran 5.4 miles non-stop in 52.02 mins dead, and I felt as though I could have gone even further, I wasn't even breathing hard when I finished.
    I just may see you all at Bramhall on Sunday.
  • I got back home last night to find my envelope from Bramhall. I thought it would be my race number but it was a letter telling me that the race had been cancelled this year. Another local race is being run on the same day - I assume the Macclesfield Half Marathon - so the turnout for Bramhall was going to be poor. I'm gutted after all the training I've put in !!!! Oh well, I'll try the Chester Zoo 10k.
  • Have a go at Chester Zoo Cath. Running at 10 minute miles will mean there are loads of people behind you.

Free entry to the Zoo as well!!
  • I'm so glad I've had a browse here or I would have turned up in vain!

Cath - you would have been fine - and we would have been running close together. I agree with Fat Face that Chester Zoo would be a good one to try - loads of entrants of all abilities. And I did my 10K PB there last year.

Maybe see you at the Salford Ladies 5.25?
  • Occasional Jogger - I'm glad that you mentioned the Salford race. I hadn't really looked at it as the title is 3 miles and I was looking for a 5 miler or 10k. Great, that's me sorted with 2 races before Christmas. Anyone know of a local one for December (but not Boxing Day !!!!)

• December 15th - Hale (Speke not South Manchester) 5 mile. Flat, lovely course.
  • Passenger "Is this bus going to Speke?"

Driver "If it does I'm not driving it"