London Marathon - Runners & Supporters 2008

1262728293032»

Comments

• Sorry BB - I meant the design the RW t-shirt competition which was sometime last year - it seems to have died a death.

I had no problems spotting you all - the warning sign that I saw was very loud and clear and then there you all were - all looking fabulous and friendly!

• Ah thats ok I thought I may of inadvertantly forgotten about saying there was a competition for the best support team.  That would be unfair as they were all brilliant.. Though Group 1 was obviously brilliant+ image
  • I had a lovely race, and as usual knowing there is a huge group of you at mile 17 is one of the highlights that keeps you going. Thanks all so much for sticking it in that rain, I got one shower at 20-25 miles but so near the end wasn't a problem, worse for those who started later.

Brilliant organisation Carl, I'd give you a reference.

• smalldog wrote (see)
    I saw the 100m to the RW forum point near mudchute but then nothing?! I couldnt spot you guys and was looking out for you, where you conspicuous?
    funnily enough, about 100 metres further on!  Might have been hidden a bit by a crowd of people who decided to stand in the road - plus it's on the inside of the bend so hard to see until you're pretty much there.  We were just past the zebra crossing
  • smalldogsmalldog ✭✭✭
    oh rats never mind maybe next year....
  • I do wonder whether the other side of the road might be better.  When the bit around the Isle of Dogs was run the other way round that spot was great as you could see it from a long way ahead coming down the hill, but now, even with all the brightly coloured banners, people still seem to have trouble spotting us.
  • I think we've more or less agreed to move to the other side of the road next year.

• Relocate to the other side of the road 
    • Have the support area coned/taped off the night before 
    • Get there earlier to reserve the whole railing
    • Be more assertive with any ingressors
    • Better organisation for inflating balloons (we only used about 1/4 of what we had)
    • T-shirts and caps to help us stand out
    • lassoo's to catch runners that miss us
  • sioUxsioUx ✭✭✭

BB- Firstly- huge thanks to you all.

I did find you and scared Nam 1/2 to death!!!!

You were pretty hidden by those folks in the road so i think the idea of moving is a good one.

Matching T-shirts is a really good idea. The fetchies were all in fetch tops and you could spot them from a long way out. I even managed to spot them going out at 13m(ish) so got a cheer in both directions

You were all fantastic. I just wish i'd been able to stop and put names to faces properly but hopefully we'll all meet up soon and have less hurried and sweaty(!!) introductions.

My day wasv one long high spot but you guys are right up at the top!

Thank you.

• LOL - like the idea of lassoo's - might start practising on the OH on his next training session...! image

Maybe not when he's on the bike though.... image

• Yeah, we were a bit hidden by people who were standing on the edges of
    the zebra crossing.
  • I did post on the group 8 thread...but a massive thanks to you for being there at mile 17.

I was really struggling by then, and after I had negotiated behind the crowd in front of the railing it was just fantastic getting my little treats and knowing you were there for us. The sign on the lamp post or wherever was a blessing cos the people standing on the road, by the time I got there, were blocking our view of you. Didn't they annoy you, or were they with you?

I  can't even remember who took the time and trouble to wet my flannel for me, but you were a bless, and it helped me loads. image

Thank you.

• Hi all, already posted on my group thread but wanted to pop in here and thank everyone for organising it.  It was really great and I coulnd't believe how loud you all were image.  I spotted you quite easy, I saw the blue and yellow balloons first and almost as soon as I thought is that them, I saw the 100 metres to go sign.  I slighlty overshot my group as the people in front made it hard for me to spot the sign.  I'm only little, 5ft.  So I had to clamber back across the waterbottles to get you.   Didn't manage more than a breathless thanks at the time tho. 

Thanks for organising it you are all stars.  I will definetly be joining you on the other side of the barriers next year.  How do we join up for supporters, just look out for next years thread?

• I am looking forward to being a supporter next year already image
  • I'm looking forward to my lassoo training! image
  • I'm hoping to be a runner next year, despite all the "never again" rubbish I came out with a few years ago.  The atmosphere was fantastic on Sunday, it was great being part of it.  If I don't get in I'll definitely be supporting if it is 26th April.

Thanks for a brilliant job of organising, Barleyimage

• Can I just add my massive thanks to all the RW supporters!  I was seriouly lagging around that point and had totally forgotten about the support group.  So when I saw the 100 meter sign I nearly sprinted up there!  And the cheers and shouting were amazing! So thanks for organising Barley and thanks to everyone Nam and Bear(i think!?) especially who were so loud!
  • And yeah if I'm not running will definitely be joining the support group next year!
  • Just wanted to say hi.

Thanks to BB and everyone for welcoming me to the supporters team.  I had a great time, but don't think I was much use.  Will know how to help more next year.

Plodding Hippo - what was your time?

• LFVLFV ✭✭✭
    Paula, I remember you. Of course you were of use just being there helped!!
  • Thanks to all at Fetchpoint for the cheers and for the lady who gave me the smile ,cheer and thumbs up. Thanks too for the guy who gave me the jelly babies. From mile 20 onwards what kept me going was knowing there would be cheers at the Fetchpoint and was focussing on looking out for the balloons coming up. I had a great time and loved my first marathon race and am already hoping I can do it all again next year.