Foot and Mouth

13»

Comments

• there are 2 issues with this EM - the market itself and the site it sits on.......

chances are the site will be redeveloped at some time - if not with the current applicant, then with another in the future - it's smack bang in the town centre so is a prime piece of real estate and apart from the main market day, a weekly "tat" aka bric-a-brac jamboree and the monthly farmer's market, and other occasional sales the site is effectively empty..

the big issue however is the market itself....most people agree that having a livestock market in a town centre these days is not the most convenient due to traffic issues on market day (although I've never seen the problem personally) and dare I say in these modern times - the smell? but it's the main cattle market for Surrey and Sussex so if it was to close, it would have huge consequences for farmers as they would need to travel to Ashford or Salisbury as the next closest livestock markets......

I believe the current idea is to relocate the market to the outskirts of the town giving easier access but no site has yet been identified

time will tell I guess
  • FR you will know much better than I but the chances are that it can actually lie dormant in hay and straw for 20 weeks plus,  poss more in haylage and the like as I suspect the conditions are more favourable?      Its been a wet and warmish summer so ideal breeding conditions.
  • Well yes - but I'd wonder how it had got there in the first place. Carried by the wind I guess.

• did they not say more than likely in drains with the flooding?      who knows in that case how far it got and where it is lying dormant now?

• Thats what HSE said yes.

Its a funny feeling just now. Sympathy for the farmers that are affected, but irritation that I'm probably going to have to alter my plans and bring the ladies down from the fells early. Weathers been that good I was going to leave them up there a bit longer.

• We wont see winter til next year I reckon - my horse is still shedding his coat, he is a good weather predictor as animals are.

HSE/MAFF or DEFRA whatever they call themselves these days ..... never believe them

• HSE I have more time for. They don't have a vested interest in particular. They're essentially scientists as opposed to beaurocrats.

DEFRA are a little different. They can be OK., but they can be up their own backsides a bit as well

Just hope its the same strain of the virus.

• Local news here has 2 local livestock markets stuck with stock overnight. Hopefully they'll be able to return them to their farms soon!
  • What about 'bluetongue'?
    If it is spread by midges, does that mean they won't be closing footpaths? Anything else runners should know about it?
    thanks.
  • Closing footpaths wont do anything to stop the spread of Bluetongue, so I doubt they'd do it.

To be honest, I believe it is out of our (vets) hands with respect to whether or not it really takes hold. Bluetongue is not contagious cattle-to-cattle (or cattle-to-sheep or whatever) but:

• cattle can be inapparent carriers (have the disease but not show clinicial signs)
    • an infected midge bites a cow/sheep and infects it
    • other uninfected midges bite that same cow/sheep and become infected
    • number of infected midges increases

Its really not practical not to let midges bite cows - there's no way of making that work! Midges can be blown or fly up to 200miles. With luck, the cold weather will kill off all the midges. Merial are working on a vaccine for strain 8 (there are already good vaccines for strains 2 and 4) but.....they're not allowed back in their lab at Pirbright until the FMD debaucle is over. If they get back to work before the end of October, the strain8 vaccin might be ready by July of next year, but thats best case senario and a lot of dead sheep in the meantime.

Also worth remembering that farmers wont get compensation for livestock that die of bluetongue, and when there IS a vaccine, they'll have to pay for it themselves.

• Thanks for explaining.
    *looks worried*
    That actually sounds worse than FMD.
    First frost of the year this morning - hope it stays cold.