Numpty bike question

2»

Comments

• Spinnig a 50 x 12 top gear at 90 rpm with give you a spped of 30 mph, if you are going downhill

120 rpm gives 39 mph - you should be able to do this downhill.However, for most of us once 30mph has been reached then rest
  • This might sound silly but do you ever forget to pedal when you are on fixed and what happens if you do, can you unscrew the sprocket?
    Bikes and things bike related are occupying my thoughts too much now.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    The pedals jerk you forward a bit but I haven't found it too bad - you soon stop forgetting to pedal - yes you can unscrew the sprocket though I suppose a lock ring would prevent that, I've only done that once and I just screwed it back on by hand.
  • I got the flippable hub - fixed one side, free the other - and I've not used the free ever - the feeling of fixed is just too good to pass up.

V rare that you forget to pedal on it, and yeah - your feet do just get pulled round. I've not unscrewed the sprocket on it.

I have mine with two brakes - so i can drag one on long descents. Plus you need two brake hoods for climbing out of the saddle.

120rpm is very doable with my gears - I turbo at that for an hour or so.
  • Well cougie, unscrew the freewheel and stick on another fixed sprocket instead.

That's if your hub is similar to mine - the freewheel option was just a screw-on rather than integral to the hub itself.

MM, in theory you can get thrown over the bars if you stop pedalling, but in practice that's only likely to happen if you're standing at the time.

Mine also has two brakes, although legally you only need one if you're riding fixed as you can brake with your feet. That takes a bit of practice though, especially from a high speed.
  • I'm fascinated by fixed

I've never ridden a fixed. Any ideas where I can try one out. Is it just a case of asking down the LBS (My LBS doesn't seem to have any on show). I'm not a member of a club, but would love to see what its all about
  • Dave "brake with your feet" had to think about that one for a bit, thought you meant you had to put your feet on the ground to slow you down for a minute?
    You must mean apply a little back pressure to the pedals? still think I would feel safer with a rear brake.
  • Its quite cool to be able to negotiate junctions without needing to touch the brakes - just by slowing your leg speed a bit.

I know some couriers manage to work in London with no brakes - illegal and mad but impressive at the same time.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    If you do have 1 brake make it the front - I only have 1 on mine and it's no problem. I don't think I could get by with none though.
  • There ought to be a fixie thread, I find it fascinating too, but feel like we have kinda hijacked this one.
    Anyway I have seen a fixed frame on ebay and bits and bobs seem to be easy enough to get hold of so I might go this route, and save me some beer tokens.
  • Apart from my commuting Brompton, the only bike I have ridden for the last month is my fixed. It's a much more relaxing way of riding.

I can't see what teh problem is about being nervous. Just get on and ride it and either it will be fine, or you will fall off.
  • Thanks for all your help and advice guys. I have a cadence counter on my computer so think I will just have to use it more.

Yes my cogs are 52-12.

As I enjoy being out on the bike it isnt going to be a hardship getting out there and getting some practice in.

Thanks for saving me some money!
  • only started riding a fixed bike last year so i can remember the initial trepidation. but it really is easy. just keep your legs loose all the time and don't stop pedalling. i cycled up and down my street a few times to get used to it.

it's nice not having to think about gears. you've just got to get on with it whatever the terrain.
  • Do you use clips, like Look or something?

If so, how do you unclip with your feet going round all the time...a fixie would really worry me....

Years ago, I had a fixie (don't know how or why)...going down the road (no clips) I decided to stand on one pedal...thrown straight over the top...and was run over by my own bike!!!

It lost its appeal around about then...
  • Classic - run over by your own bike !

I use Time Atacs on mine - its easy to clip and unclip on the move.

You really do need to be attached to the pedals - much safer that way.
  • Is there an 'end of season' when bike manufacturers start selling off this years bikes to make way for next years?

The specialized concept store near me has reduced the price of 2007 bikes to start selling 2008 bikes. Do the others do the same and if so when ?

Thanks Owl
  • yes they do - the timing really depends on what stock they have and when the new models start becoming available but it's usually around late summer/autumn that the real rush starts.............
  • Biggest deals are in Febrary, but you've got to be lucky with sizing.

Bought a 2001 Cannondale MTB in Feb 2002. List £2400 Paid £1350
    And a 2002 Giant TCR Aero bike with FULL 105 groupset in Feb 2004. List £1400 paid £600.

• Hi guys

I wasnt going to post what a complete numpty I have been but thought you might as well all have a laugh.

I did some practice on the bike as you suggested and discovered that I actually have a lot more gears than I thought I did!!

In fact my bike has 24 gears not the 9 I thought it had!!  (I wasnt using about 5 of the lower gears!)

Needless to say I can now pedal downhill with no problems at all.

So thanks guys for saving me (or rather my OH) a big expense.  It means I can now choose something else for Christmas

• Now there's a thought!!