Very unfit ex marathon runner starts again

I ran 2 marathons in 2 years 05 and 06 and then sort of stopped (ok, so there wasn't much 'sort of' about it - I just stopped). Since then I've put a stone on and I have tried numerous times to restart but have only lasted a couple of weeks.

This time I mean it!!

A really good friend of mine died of cancer 2 weeks ago at 48 and I am determined to run another marathon next year to raise money for the superb hospice she was in for her final weeks.

I ran to the gym last night (about a mile away) and was appalled that I had to stop half way!!

This is the beginning of my revival - anyone care to join me!?!?!?

Comments

• Stick at it, youll soon get back into shape. do you have any local running clubs you could join? There is always somebody that runs at a similar pace, and your less likely to skip training when running with someone else.
    goodluck
  • Runningpartners.co.uk is good for finding runners in your area at the same level.
  • Good to see you back Tiredgirl! Slowly but surely you will get there.

I'm really sorry to hear about J - she must have put up a good fight to have stayed with you until this year. (((Tiredgirl)))
  • Thanks UC (cool new name BTW!) She put up one hell of a fight but in the end she was so tired she needed to go and rest :(

I'm enjoying being out on the road again and improving daily!

Still trying to work out Facebook!!
  • hello you!

welcome back!

facebook has scrabble-very addictive
  • Hello PH. Lovely to have all you nice peeps pop in and say hello :))
  • Hi Tiredgirl,

Just out of interest, what made you stop running? Did you do anything instead?
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    TG,

Hello, nice to see you back again. Come on back over to sub 5, there are a couple in there who have been/are off with injury so starting again.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

TS
  • Sorry all, been on holiday so not been posting.

Bronnie - I stopped running because of personal issues and I lost the motivation to do anything.  Hopefully that's all behind me now and I have a fixed goal in mind for Spring 08 mara.  I'm enjoying been out again with my mp3 and I'm looking at joining a new running club so fingers crossed......

TS - I'm on my way over now!!

• KS Hi what marathon are you going to do? I ran London in 88 and 89 when I was YOUNG! I then started again last year and did Paris Marathon this April. It was not a good time but I made it so am having another go next April as I now haven't run since April and have put on nearly a stone.
  • Sorry about your loss, TG.

I'm with you every step of the way - it's so hard after an absence and with too many pounds.  I'm also just starting again after a couple of years absence and gaining 2 stone!!  I've already lost one stone (in 5 weeks) and am up to running 6 miles slowly but comfortably.  I've just entered a half marathon in October.

It's quite amazing how quickly it becomes fun again - good luck with your return to fitness! 

• A timely boing

• Tiredgirl - fancy doing this together when I come up to my brother's in November?