beginner

i am 50 and just trying to take up the sport any hints or tips would be welcome.

Comments

• DONT DO IT!!

only joking, if you go to the home page of this website they have lots of beginners articles which I found very useful. Biggest tip I found was don't run before you can walk, start slowly don't think you should have to run marathons immedialty and theres nothing wrong with having to start off doing run/walk combinations.

Good Luck
  • I started 'running' in April, doing 1 minute of running followed by 4 minutes of walking and repeated this 4 times. I found that quite challenging enough! Now I'm up to running for 30 minutes continuously 3 times a week. Take it slowly & don't be worried that you're not doing much - I never thought I'd get to where I am today. My initial goal was to be able to run for 10 minutes by the end of the Summer! If you push yourself too hard you end up feeling like a failure & not wanting to carry on with it. I increased my time running really slowly so that I always felt I could handle it and was achieving something. I can honestly say I'm so glad I took those first steps to try it, I can't imagine not running now!
    Best of luck with it!
  • Where are you at health- and fitness-wise now, Kenneth?
  • yEP, WALKING IS FINE-i'VE JUST DONE A MARATHON AND WALKED AT LEAST HALF OF IT!!
    kEEP UP THE GOOD WORK