Rugby World Cup 2007

Comments

• I know it's v. sad to be logging into work remotely at 10:45 on a Saturday night but I just had to say...

OH MON DIEU!!!!! image

I have no idea how France won or even if they deserved to but it's just fantastic. Flaky Freddie, I want to have your children - although it probably was a forward pass!

And v. well done England, they absolutely mullered Australia in the pack.

What a great day for NH rugby image

Allez les Bleus, Allez les Bleus, Allez les Bleus...

• Yup NH rugby proving we can compete, it wasn't pretty but it was all forward play, just how it should be!
  • What a day!  Well done England and allez les Bleus! 
  • If anyone wants a good laugh have a look at some of the OZ press talk about sore losers they have spent more time mocking the All Balcks than pointing out the most obvious result of the day
  • The aussies are generally bad losers and even worse winners. Well done England!
  • Was deffo a forward pass but, hey ho, them's the breaks...  The French defence was just awesome!

Good luck for the semi England.  If the French play to form, they must be due a poor performance anytime soon.  Unfortunately they always manage to turn up for their games against the AB's for the World Cup...

Time to pack away the silver fern...  Again...

• Well, the saffa's did poison our team for the '95 final so we'll never forgive them that...

• Lovely results, shame about Fiji, not much between Sweaties and Arg at the mo.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭

Did anyone else see the Argentinian fan with a li'l leopard on his head??

<<<beam>>>

• and you wonder why BA wont let you out of the country!
  • Think it might have been a puma, Jj
  • Is that why the Argies are called the Pumas then?  image
  • JjJj ✭✭✭

[rolls eyes]

yes, I KNOW they're pumas, but it's the first time I've seen a spotty one, specially on someone's 'ead.  I is not a argiebargie I is (half) canadian, so all the people I know wear cougars on their 'eads. That's the non-spotty big cats not the tall dimply triathamalumps.

• och well nearly did it - not bad considering how many shocking mistakes the scots made

mine's a Malbec - can't have the bokke in the final - they look good to win it

• I may have found a new coach for Wales...

Scotland...should have won it...too many basic errors. I'm hugely disappointed so goodness only knows how the Scots feel.

• In answer to Nemo's original thread questions.

1. Can England defend their title? Yes!They are giving it a bloody good go.
    2. Can anyone beat the All Blacks? Yes!
    3. Can France escape from the Group of Death?Yes!

Feel very sorry for the Scots this morning that was their once chance and they blew it.

• Don't feel sorry for us.

Any team so inept and tactically negative doesn't deserve any better.

Poor. Very poor. The Pumas didn't even play well and still looked far superior.

• Crash, Didn't he have a go before?  (& not all that sucessfully)

I didn't think Lamont had a great game.  They were poor but I think it did make the Argies look beatable, by England or France.

So South Africa shouldn't have any problem!!

• "South Africa shouldn't have any problem!"

Wish I had a fiver for everyone who said something similar about NZ or Oz in the lead up to Saturday image

• Know this sounds wise after the event but I wasn't particularly surprised that England won and definitely not surprised that the All Blacks lost. They looked edgy against us.

I know it has all been said before but the bottle told.

SA are the best team left but have looked vulnerable when roughed up. See how they fared against the Pacific teams.

Scotland were terrible: in spirit, tactics and performance.

• tbh - the way all 4 semi-finalists have played so far in their pool games doesn't exactly pick a favourite.....

the Boks are probably the bookies favourites now but as Fiji showed, they can get rattled, but they have depth to come back and knuckle down to the task in hand

France will NOT want to lose to England now they've got the semis on home turf and can sniff a final........I think France are looking a good outside bet for the WC win.....

England played well on Saturday - well the forwards did but I'm not convinced that the backs showed any real attacking flair until Flood came on - Wilko was out of sorts, Catt was knackered, Tait was all noise but good in defence - only Sackey seemed to be trying to go forward.........and I'm not sure if France will let them play that well up front, they're better opposition than the Convicts in the tight 5.........

I'll go with a France - SA final with France just nipping it

but hey I was wrong about the 1/4s suggesting that England and France would lose - ho hum
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭

England & France play each other so often that they'll know each other's game inside out.  I reckon that the ref will be important in terms of penalising the nonsense at the ruck.  As an Inglander, here's hoping that Wilkinson kicks against France as he did 4 years ago but I see a French victory.

As to the other match, I hope that the Argies win it as the IRB needs to acknowledge teams outside of the Tri-N & 6N a bit more.  A WC finalist from outside these closed shops would be a great advert for those who want to expand the rubgy world (and it's cash).

Only wish I'd been in an Aussie pub on Sat.....

• Pedant alert!

Actually the animal was probably a Jaguar as that's the symbol they have on their shirts. It turns out that years ago a journalist made a mistake and thought it was a Puma and the name stuck. Pumas don't have spots they're kind of sandy coloured I think.

Just about recovered from the excitement and shock of Saturday. England v. France could be a fantastic match. I'm hoping for a different result to the last semi-final and no rain! If they do make it to the final I think they'll play South Africa. Argentina could well run out of steam plus France have such a dreadful record against them South Africa might be the easier team for them to face. Still whatever way it turns out the tournament has been great so far and I'm sure there are still a few more good games to come. Anyone else care to make a prediction?

Good luck to all the teams! image

• GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    A prediction?  Oz pubs will be very quiet at the weekend.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭

It was probably a pumapard, Little Nemo. Us big cats - even the li'l ones - are jolly affectionate, ya know. image

• PS, indeed he did, I'm just teasing my Welsh chums image

I see Serge Betsen is fit to play...is the 'concussion' rule only a domestic thing?

It's a journalist's wildest dream at the moment...

England v SA in a repeat of the pool game...or
    England v Argentina in a repeat of the Falklands conflict...or
    France v Argentina  in a repeat of the pool game...or

France v SA in a repeat of...er...nothing other than previous rugby matches.

Gut feeling says Eng v South Africa in the final...

• I can't see us getting past France

That said I felt the same about Australia. The little guys on our team don't seem to be playing well. Backs are they?

• Aww - how cute!

And obviously well trained image