High heels and calfs/running

My mate (who is an elite runner) and I were talking about shoes the other day.  I had noticed that, for once, she was wearing boots with a bit of a heel, which is unusual for her as she’s normally in flats or flip-flops.  She said that she doesn’t wear heels much because its bad for her running.  She says its like doing calf-raises all day and it tightens the calf muscle and shortens the Achilles tendon, thereby messes with your ‘toe-off’ phase of the gait cycle and interferes with running in the longer term.   Perhaps its pointing out the bleeding obvious, but I had never really thought of that???  I wear heels to work and when I go out.  In fact the only time you ever see me in flat shoes is when I run/go for a walk/at gym etc?  I do have really tight calves, which even with maintenance massage and stretching after runs remain tight to a degree? So you biomechanics/fizzy peeps out there (siance/footman) is it really that big a deal??? I HATE flat shoes.  Walking in flat shoes is about as graceful as a pregnant duck! Am I condemned to a life in Scholl and Clarks??????????  *wails* image

Comments