Options

Stubbington Green 10km

Entries for the race on January 13th are now available. We're not going to be handing out flyers at south coast races, instead you can enter either on-line at Runner's World, or by logging onto the Stubbington Green Runners' website at: www.sgrac.net/ where you can download an entry form to enter by post.

Last year we had more than 1,000 runners on the day, and we were full by late November.

If you've not tried Stubbington before, this is a friendly and well organised race with a mug for every finisher. Stubbington is just outside Portsmouth, and the course is flat. The weather for this year's race was glorious and for many runners this is a great race to start the New Year. We receive entries from as many non club runners as club runners. So if you're looking for a great New Year cobweb clearer and a friendly race, then give the Stubbington 10km a try.

Comments

• Options

I'm in!

(I left it too late last year and missed it, but it's a nice race)

• Options
    Good to know you are in MikeFrog. You should have a ribbet ribbeting run!
  • Options
    I'm in too, and my daughter will be doing it as her first race. I've heard good things about this one, so am looking forward to it.
  • Options

Diana, glad to hear you and your daughter have entered. This is a great first race for your daughter - nice and flat, and there is a good, friendly atmosphere about it.

If that wasn't enough, there's a pretty decent mug for all finishers as well, plus some delicious and very tempting bacon butties served by our lovely ladies. 

Since entries opened last week we've already had almost 200 entries

• Options

Entered.  Blast.  Will now have to behave over xmas....

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

I will be entering as is part of the HRRL, not that I will score any individual points, but may get something for the team way down in Div 3......

Must send my entry off.............

• Options
    I'm in - 5th year in a row - it was my first ever race in 2004 after I took up running the previous summer/autumn.
  • Options

I'm in.  Did it last year and thought it was great!

Just one little request Peekay, if it is possible...

Last year I started sprinting too early because you can't see the finsih line from any distance away and the marshals kept telling me that it was 'just round the corner'.  Can we either have a 500m marker, or can the marshals be given more accurate information about how far it is to the end so that I have a better idea of when to start my sprint?  Last year I completely burnt out with still 300 metres to go!

But this is a very minor gripe for which was otherwise a fantastic race.

• Options

SuperCaz, I will pass your request on to the race director.

I do know what you mean about knowing the distance to the end of the race - you want to finish well, and you want to look good for the finish line photo and any friends watching on.

As a guide, the roundabout going into the final straight past the airfield is just over a mile from the finish and when you pass the secondary school on the right-hand side that is roughly half a mile from the end. We'll look into it.

• Options
    I'll be back! Please excuse the Arnie impression! Need to come over from Sussex to get a mug to match the one from 2 years ago!
  • Options

Just entered on-line.  Better watch the pies at Christmas.

SuperCaz I'm not stalking you!

• Options
    I wouldn't mind if you did DukeOf.  I had a Peeping Tom last winter so a stalker might make a change.
  • Options
    Peekay, please can you arrange for weather like this year, someone in a green vest to win for once, and for your rotund race director not to eat all the pies?
  • Options
    Speedy, the race director is not rotund - he just has big bones!
  • Options
    Oh, and while you're at it Peekay, can you arrange for me to get a nice big spot prize.  Vouchers would be good because I need loads of new kit.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Have got my entry sorted as now listed on the entrants for the race........ last did this race in 2001 and was very cold.... off to see what time I did that day so that I can beat it........
  • Options

Supercaz...spot prizes, well how about a bottle of Clearasil?

I called my first ever house Pimple....because I picked a nice spot for it!!

Look forward to seeing you at the race RFJ. If you can get a good start, then this race has pb potential written all over it.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

I Doubt I will PB it, as PB is just under sub 40, but that was a few years ago, that said when I last did this race I did 42:24 in 2001, so thats a time to aim for.

Peekay - were you on the FLM 3:30 thread a couple of years back?

Take care

• Options

RFJ.....well good luck with aiming for a 42 minute time in the race. You'll certainly have some quality runners around you to pull you through to a quick time. It's just with most 10kms, you need to get a good start and through those first couple of kilometres in pretty sharp time, otherwise it is difficult to claw back the deficit. 

As for the FLM thread, I'm afraid that wasn't me.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Not to worry.

Thanks for the encouragement, always appriciated.

• Options
    just enter Stubbington Green for the frist time,and look forward to it,is it a flat race!
  • Options
    I have just entered
  • Options
    Bald Eagle...the Stubbington 10k is so flat it should be called the Tour of Holland! Fast, flat, and depending on the weather, bloomin' cold! That said, earlier this year, the weather was balmy and beautiful, and the post-race bacon butties tasted even nicer! See you there.
  • Options
    Peekay,save some bacon for me at the end and if i P.B. I will buy you one ,
  • Options
    Bald eagle, just make sure that you're ahead of the race director in the queue for bacon butties, as I heard that he has a penchant for pork (not to mention the odd curry or three!)
  • Options

Entered some week ago, just hope the start is better organised than last year, and the cones are not placed in the middle of road as they were, causing problems for those of us who tripped up on them!!

Peekay - you doing Lordshill next Sunday? 

Whizzy

• Options

Whizzy, we had those cones strategically placed earlier this year to slow down those runners whose running vests looked too garish. Clearly your pink and orange outfit with the sequins was ruled OTT by the fashion police!

Seriously, we're hoping to make the start a lot swifter in January. This year was the first time we tried the dual start with the aim of preventing bunching at the beginning.

I'm not at Lordshill on Sunday - I'm 66 races into a major fund-raiser to run around the British Isles in 80 races by New Year's Eve, so I'll be savouring the delights of the Deal 5 in Kent that day. Enjoy Lordshill, especially that lovely hill at seven miles. Take your crampons with you and oxygen supplies for the top!!

• Options

Peekay

It's me - the race organiser for Lordshill..... new course this year, no hill!!!! Will miss seeing you there, but pleased to hear that all is going well.

Whizzy

• Options

I've just entered - needed to get something in the diary to keep me motivated during the festive season!  Have done it just once before in 2005.  I'd really like to break 43 mins ... we'll see!

OtR

• Options
    On the Run....good to have you on board. A word to the wise that we are very close to closing the entries, so if you haven't entered then please get in quick. Hopefully the weather will be a lot kinder in January than it was for the horrendous weather which swept the Great South Run yesterday.