Barns Green Half-Marathon

Comments

• I belive that entry currently stands at £20. Entry on the day is a whopping £25

I'd say no unless it's one you really want to do.

• I'd say it's worth it, though the price increase does seem a bit steep. Last time I ran it, it was something like £12 or £14 - add a few £ for chip timing (worth paying for, if it's start-line to finish-line) plus a bit for inflation, and it doesn't seem quite so bad. I certainly consider it my favourite race, one of the best-organised around, and would be running it myself if I didn't have an achilles injury. Beautiful scenery, closed roads, excellent spectator support, good atmosphere.

It is definitely not flat, but that didn't stop me recording a PB on it. Map showing elevation at: gmap-pedometer

Parking is good, but get there well in advance, as traffic is very heavy on race day. Much easier to travel by car, but if you can't find someone to give you a lift, it's possible to put your bike on the train, and cycle either from Horsham station (about 6 miles) or Christ's Hospital station (about 2 miles). If going via CH station, be aware that:

• not many trains on a Sunday (check timetable carefully)
    • trains from London/North of Horsham split at Horsham - make sure to get on the right part of the train
    • line is vulnerable to engineering work on a Sunday
    • check * the train website
    Hope this helps!
  • I got a text from my sister this morning saying "Good luck today, I hope the rain is refreshing" Threw me into a panic! Had I got a day wrong?

Checked my race pack - phew! It is next week. Texted her back telling her this, and she replied "Good job it's raining then, or I would have driven to Barns Green to support"

See you all NEXT week then! It should be a bit drier than today...
  • To clarify how things are on the rails this weekend.

To clear up the info as I  noticed abit of misleading info

On Sundays

All trains on the Horsham / Christs Hospital route call at Christs Hospital (except for the 0702 x Victoria). The trains do not divide at Horsham on Sundays. The line is open, but due to rail works the trains do not call at Redhill. Best train to get is the 0804 from London Victoria calls at Clapham Junction (0810), East Croydon (0823), Purley, Horley, Gatwick Airport, Three Bridges & Crawley. This train will get you to Horsham at (0904) and Christs Hospital arrives at 0908.

There is a later train (1 hour later), but this may not be enough time with the road closures and the demands of the race organisers to get you inplace early.

Compliments of Southern. (Local train service provider).

• Really looking forward to this image

It's my first event and everything seems to be falling into place, glad to hear it's merely undulating rather than hilly, that sounds vaguely similar to my local area where I've been training.

Hope everyone has a good run image

• I'm in now.

My first race since Amsterdam marathon 10 days ago. Think I might just take this one easy, but you never know.

Guess there wont be so many canals in this one image

• No canals, but probably more hills!

I'm getting paranoid that I'm coming down with a cold now! Dagnabbit. Positive thoughts, positive thoughts...
  • I think I might just enjoy the hills Sazza, flat gets a just a little dull after a while image

Fingers crossed you'll be fine on the day

• Cold coming on for me too. Trying to fight it though as I love Barns Green Half. Hope to do OK, possibly no PB though, kind of depends on the weather - it was bad last year.
  • bugger - I'd assumed this was on the day after Beachy Head marathon as it has been for the last n years so didn't bother looking as I knew my legs would be shot after that one.......

if I'd known it was a week later I would have entered as it's a great race - too late now as have other plans....

enjoy it folks
  • Trying to shake of cold as well, I'm going to see how I feel on Sunday morning. I should be ok but might just use this as a trainning run (it never works out like that though, adrenelin and all that)

• Fingers crossed, but my "cold" hasn't materialised. I think it was more paranoia than anything! Still dosing up with first defence and vit C though. Plus I've just cooked a very spicy jambalaya, so that should help!

FB - it does seem to be a week later this year, as it tends to be the day the clocks go back. Not sure why, but hopefully we'll get better weather than we would have done last weekend! Not too hopeful though.

Hope all those cold disappear by Sunday!
  • Parking is in a big field and with a little car and lots of rain i am very worried about getting stuck in the mud!
  • i was supposed to buy some gels for me and a mate for tomorrow but i totally forgot.  Does anyone know if they might be selling some there?
  • The Rob,they have had a sports shop on the green the last 3 years and sell gels,good luck
  • Emily, just look pretty and flutter you eyelashes. Something tells me that there's going to be a few sexy young men with muscles around to help push if you get stuck.

Darn it... stuck again.

Good luck everyone. I'm still waiting for a miracle cure for knee injuries so I can run rather than hobble round and regret it for the next 6 months.

Weather is cold (12c) and dry, cloudy with some sunny spells. Though there is some local rain.

• It's sunny image

Shorts and short sleeves for me.

• Well done everyone!

Superbly organised race as always.  Excellent water distributors.  Lots of cheering.  No rain and a pb for the BG course!

• First race ever for me and a great one, good time, good organistation and bloody shattered now.

Well reccomended.

Gav

• Hope everyone had a better race than me. My knee gave out at approx 10 1/2 miles. I'd been going slowly till then anway but I got fed up and tried to push a little down that hill. How unwise. Ended up walking, hobbling, stumbling kind of shuffling for that bit. Poo. Had to finish running though, not that it was much of a run.

Thamks to everyone that cheered me on, offered support. It was great. Even if I was swearing heavily under my breath with every step. It hurt. Crossed the line at 1:50ish. image Just hope my running career isn't over. It's hardly begun. This was only my second half.

But well done everyone.

• I had the same problem bikermouse ... My knee gave in between the 7 and 8 miles. I had to hobble almost half the race but I was determined not to give up. It took me 2.50ish though .... Slowest half Marathon I have ever done but like Sups in the Premiership .... The only way is up.  I can only improve on that time. image

Definately agree with what you all have been saying about the course. Its a fantastic track. Will be out to conquor it next year.

By the way was there any goodie bags this year? I got a medal and bottle of water!

• Phew, my legs hurt!

I must have overtaken you just before the end Michael, as I came in 4 places ahead of you. I had a great day - always near the back, and by myself for most of it, but great fun. When I came through the start/finish line at 5.5miles, the front runners were finishing, and the announcer name-checked me! I got a bigger cheer than the runners finishing!!

The steep hill at 7 miles beat me, but I knew there was a long downhill to 9 miles. Unforunately I died a bit after that, and had to walk up most of the long hill to the 10/11 mile mark. Rounding the corner from the last bridge, I was met with a sight like the Somme! Various people hobbling and walking, but they were the first people I had seen for about 5 miles. Gave me something to aim for!

Managed to come in under 2.50 on the chip, beating my PB by 18 minutes (and that was set on the flat course at Brighton). I had wanted to run the whole way, but the hills were just too much. Next time!!!

If there were goody bags, I didn't get one either. I'm not sure there were any. I did get cheap cake though, as they were selling off the homemade ones half price - nice!
  • Bikermouse... 2 years ago  my knee gave out a week after the Barns Green. 18 months of work later and I was running again, this year I finished in 1 hour 35 minutes. Your running career will never be over, just have faith!

Excellent organisation as always, great support and no goodie bags, although the medal is good!

A special thanks to the scouts (?) doing the water in the second half of the race. Very noisy! Excellent.

• Hi SazzaG

Are the results/times out yet? If so where can I find them.

Thanks

Gary

• Sazza G,

Did you take part in a Race called "Run to the Beat"? Just wondering from your profile pic.

Yeah more than lightly you passed me out on the last mile or so. It must have taken me 25mins to do that last mile altought it felt like a week. Still enjoyed it though. I think it will be my last one for 2008. I will fit in a few smaller races before Christmas. 10km max though.
  •  Sazza - that 10/11 mile hill was a bugger, I think that's where my pace took a thumping, I'd only really trained up to 10 miles and it showed.

Otherwise I had a great race, including a quite intense sprint finish in which I triumphed image

• Well done all. I flet horribly sicvk the whole around around and nearly dropped out at 10 miles but I managed to finish and not be sick!

About 3 minutes slower that I had hoped at 01:26:58 by my watch and 01:27:13 by official timing, but still just glad to finish!

• MC - no, that was taken at the Brighton HM earlier this year.

Le Gav - I'm glad you've said that! Lots of the feedback says "hills were easy". No they weren't! My mum warned me about that long hill, 'cos when she did it 25 years ago, she had only trained up to 10 miles as well.

Still, I'll be prepared for next year!
  • I thought it was just me who was struggling. My glutes started aching at about four miles and were really sore at the end. Nice race, well organised. Shame the weather was so bad on Saturday for the organisers and their team - must have been awful. Well done.