What: 3-4m recovery in 2 minutes

Comments

• Morning,

What: Circuits pm

Why: ?

Last hard: 1 day

Last Rest: 4 days

• morning

back last night from 3 gorgeous days in the lakes ambling from cafe to bar to restaurant and relaxing in lovely sunshine. most energetic thing i did was get a canoe out on the lake but even then i was more cox than stroke. back to real life today!

a rushed attempt to catch up reveals i've missed a pb from in the 5k race - that's another impressive chunk off M and great splits, well run

congratulations to melli  on a wonderful performance in the half ironman and you're quite right i certainly can't imagine running a half marathon after all that swimming and cycling. my friend is JW so i don't think it was the same lady you were with. she finished in 5.05 and said the cycling was a very tough course, i believe her!

what a race  200  - well named isn't it, i think you deserve a prize for just finished that lot. belated happy anniversary to you and schoolrunner too, hope you enjoyed the celebrations

nice to hear an upbeat post from WP - i hope the worst is behind you now and you get back on an even keel

sorry the ankle is holding you back brumliz, take care

thank you all for lovely comments and feedback on my half marathon. some of you were congratulating me on a pb but sorry it wasn't that good, i'm an older runner, well mature maybe,  and a pb will take a bit more effort yet. sorry i wasn't around to answer some questions which i'll do now and hope they make sense ..

nightnurse - the training plan was 14 weeks and i chose lake V because not having got the club place in GNR i was geared up for a september half and read that this one was flat, being a lap around the lake
    kingfisher blue  - yes, those numbers were average heart rate for each mile, my max is somewhere between 175 and 180 and resting is 37. i have only used my HRM in one other half marathon which gave similar readings
    by the way, i hope you'll feel comfortable to join in the thread and let us know how your training is going - are you training for a specific race at the moment?
    minks - i used the P&D specific half marathon plan for up to 50 mpw. i think i'll be using it again for wilmslow which is march next year and see if i get a decent improvement on this year's time on the same course
    happiness - not sure yet! we have the road league starting next month which is shorter races but i may target a specific 10k later this year and use the P&D schedule for that, then another half in the spring

so for the training
    what - did a short jog to break myself in, feeling ok
    why - proper training restarts next week
    last rest - last 3 days
    last hard - 4 days
    lyrics - no sorry

• Just popping in before another hard day in garden.
    Will read back later.

what - 1hr easy
    why - body tired after yesterday
    lyrics - not immediately sorry

Despite day staying dreek ended up with another hard day's gardening yesterday outside. V.much enjoyed it but had not bargained for doing it. Parents were grateful though.

Another day planned today though will need to work around England's opening 20:20 game against Zimbabwe. Not as easy as it might seem given that the Aussies lost to them last night.
  • Morning all.

Blisters

I think you should pay Royal Mail for motivating you to a training PB.  Be sure to express your gratitude appropriately in your forthcoming letter...

clink

Thanks,  we had a great meal out last night.  Tried somewhere new & it was better than  expected.  Grizzly is a fine event, planning to do it again in 2009 (and train for it properly!)

Lyrics:  No

Anyway legs have recovered from the surprise I gave them on Sunday so I'll be out for 5 miles easy later.

• Dustin - its one of the advantages of being a student fulltime <self contented smile> though term starts again soon so such days will be over soon.
    Beleted Happay anniversary to Mr and Mrs 200
    Scobos - should we now be calling you 'mystic scobos' after (and because I'm giving tonight's club session a miss so I can watch the Scots put the French to the sword...aye right!!!)
    Blisters - the sorting office from hell?
    A thread to compare brilliant cafes. What an excellent idea?

Envious at some of the training being posted at moment. Happier though with ticking over. Have reconciled self to sticking to some 'gentle' mileage to keep things ticking along. Then structure a plan around my commitments at uni this term and with the aim of building a good solid varied base of training pre-christmas. Can then focus on build up for FLM. Must dust off old training schedule. Long time since I followed a marathon training plan properly.
  • Morning all,

Post Offices - think we've all been there at some point - still, it's a way I hadn't thought of to get a PB - wonder if I can persuade one to open up and annoy me on Sunday 7 October?  Might be able to break 1:40 for the half marathon that way!

What: 6M later with 4M threshold
    Why: half mara training
    Last hard: Tuesday
    Last rest: Monday

• Morning folks,

What: 30mins spin; 1hr run
    Why: recovery
    Last: hard: Saturday
    Last rest: sunday

Blisters - how immensely frustrating!
  • Morning

Blisters - what a fiasco.

What: physio sess
    Why: It is needed
    Last Hard: pass
    Lyrics: No, but yesterdays were Madness and House of Fun

Enjoy your day

• Blisters - that must be why they have those "Our staff deserves to work in a safe environment. All threathening behaviour (verbal or physical) will be treated with the highest severity" blablabla notices up at post office collection points image
    (I do agree with those notices, but sometimes the staff themselves make it extremely hard for people not to lose their temper).

Club run last night and young fast clubmate upped the pace after sedate start and I felt surprisingly good so went along with it. 15k avg roughly 7 min/mi with half of that off-road and a couple of hills (well, 2). Apart from the second half of the second hill (at the end of the run) I felt very much in control, quite pleased with that.

Sam - not unlike my vague plans actually. Yesterday was the first harder run in quite a while and I'm just running fairly easy but a fair bit. I consider it 'training to get ready for training'. Few more weeks of that and with the XC season starting in October the harder running will be inevitable.

What: 6 miles easy d&d, something similar later
    Why: done the harder running for this week, easy now
    Last hard: yesterday?
    Last rest: sunday

• Morning folks.

STM - no mysticism involved...the result was never really in any doubt, was it? Think the 'dodgy Scottish keeper' jibes should now cease and should in future relate to some other nationality...there are a few candidates that spring to mind. Then again, watching the Womens World Cup reminds me that any nationality could be tarred with this brush...

Blisters - a typical tale, 'delivered' eloquently. I'm currently in a similar sort of stand-off with a courier company.

Training for today...

What: about 7 miles, including 20mins tempo at lunchtime
    Why: a little bit of speed endurance

Have a good day.

• Morning All.

Steady 3.5 miles this morning and another 3.5 miles this evening.

Why. High Peak 40 on Saturday.

Good Runnings everyone.

• Speaking as a sub-post master's daughter image let's be fair. Annoying the rules might be but I expect the member of staff involved would face disciplinary action if they gave out the parcel to someone who didn't have the card. Basically, they aren't allowed to use their discretion and judgement even if it would be common sense to do so. Wasn't the cock-up here with the person who did not leave the card?
  • Morning all,

Tough club run last night, very hilly route and the person I was running with wanted a hard run, so I gave him one and myself as well! lol. (6:25mm) and that included having to slow down to get up some flights of stairs and two long hilly stretches, pretty tired at the end of run!

What:

am: 5-miles steady already done (6:39mm) moving along nicely today, once I ran in my new pair of gt2120s, first few miles were slipping and sliding and clonking my way down the road, then mid-run the shoes settled down a little! lol

pm: Track session at Iek, 5x1k reps off 4min (tea and bun recoveries)

Why:

Getting faster and the only way is ``no gain without a lot of pain``!

• Morning all,

What: Tempo 6 miles after 15 minutes on spin bike

Why: Still working on transition

Last Hard: Coping with a 30ft high rope climb yesterday (I'm spooked by heights!)

Have a great day

• Morning all!

What: spin class and little run (12mins), done

Why: late shift at placement so got it in early 

image Not getting too excited, but ankle felt good - woop! so all systems go again.....

Worrying to hear all this news re foot and mouth again - looks like foothpaths are going to be closed down this time (if they haven't been already) - fingers crossed it can be contained and dealt with swiftly image

• Afternoon all,

Blisters, yes, sorry to hear all that. The sorting office is a bit inhuman around here, but we have had some brilliant postmen. One stopped me in the street one day and said "is this for you, by any chance?" The address was a transposition of the numbers of an address we had lived at some ten years earlier, but yes, it was for me. Not bad.

Me? a "long" run of 8 or 9 miles, but very definitely a slow run. Kept HR largely below 130, running mostly on mid to forefoot. No walks. Can't say my legs felt good, but they felt no worse at the end than they did at the beginning. Stopped a mile and a bit from home to call on my favourite fourfoot. She's a poorly dog, and this was goodbye. I stayed a while to talk to her person, who is having a right sh&tty time of things just now, with her Mr. at the peevish stage in recovering from open heart surgery, her pooch going west all at once. I pulled her ears a bit (the pooch's, not my friend's) and we talked for a while but mostly she wanted to sleep. Somehow I don't feel like working.

Still, it's a lovely day, the FLM entry is in the post, I can run 8 miles - I've just done it, and when I come to cross the rainbow bridge there will be more than one springer spaniel to greet me. Until then I've got a head full of memories.

Take care all.
  • Hiya,
    Didn't get a chance to run yesterday instead opting to watch the footy (and congrats to the scots turning the french over). Two creditable england performances on the bounce? Amazing.

What : just done 6.1 miles along the Thames
    Why : its sunny out

laters

• Hello everyone - I've been absent from the training thread for a while, my training has been hit and miss for quite some time, including some injury niggles.  I've now changed trainers, which has helped, and am gradually upping the mileage.  I'm in the FLM ballot too.

I was building up towards Windsor Half Marathon, but I have today found out it has been cancelled due to foot and mouth - arrggh!  Need to ponder my options. 

Anyway, tomorrow is my long run so am resting today.  Last hard session was yesterday morning.

For stuart little 2:  "What: 3-4m recovery in 2 minutes" - if you do 4 mile recovery sessions in 2 minutes, what are your speedwork sessions like?

Adios

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

hi all

back from hols!

Had a fantastic holiday, hope all is well. 

Bike + 260 very tough miles, we did a route with 8 mile uphill climb, 2.5 m up hill and a 3.5 up hill (downhill was fun but so so fast).  Bum is slightly bigger but in a good way!

running - a measly 14 miles but I think the bike took over!

What: rest

why: 1st day back

last hard: 30 mile bike ride tuesday from lieganes to santander!

last easy: ?

Our  first anniversary was spent like this - 5 mile run undulating, 45.5 mile bike very undulating and a paddle in the sea, sort of triathlon!

Nice to be back! 

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • afternoon

another OU TMA panic, on top of not a lot of running means I haven't had much chance or reason to post in the last few days. Just had a v quick read back (though I did pause for the whole of the Blisters/Royal Mail saga...)

v belated congrats to Gobi for that monumental ultra effort last weekend

less belatedly to M for the new PB

mellifera - much respect for a great half ironman

well done also 200

personally...gave the bike a couple of good thrashes over the weekend....ventured out on foot on Monday and actually covered 3 miles with no ill effects so far as calf was concerned....
    .....so was emboldened to stand on the start line for the Multi-Terrain League race on Tuesday evening. Perhaps a bit overambitious, given that the first mile and a bit was along the beach between New Brighton and Leasowe - I got thru that OK and was starting to move thru the field q nicely, but while running along the embankment, I got just a suggestion of tightness in the dodgy calf and decided there & then in favour of discretion...my first ever DNF. Still feel slightly guilty about it, even though I'm sure I did the right thing.

Another first on Wednesday - a proper full-on sports massage. More expensive than I expected (£35), about as painful as I expected (very - and usually accompanied by the comment "mmmm....there's a lot going on here&quotimage. A fair amount of the pain was inflicted on unexpected areas though - quads & adductors, particularly LHS - to go with the much anticipated calf agony.

Masseur seemed quite bullish about my prospects for running henceforth - so will put that optimism to the test this evening.

• aaaaaargh - the phantom smiley strikes again.

That was just a "close bracket" character - metamorphosed into one of those irritating jaundiced visages.

• drewdrew ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Long time no post, again!

I'm not very good at multitasking so when there's lots happening something has to give....anyway, still been training, racing, working and organising wedding (only 2 weeks to go now)

Training's not been going too badly, compared to last year. Even managed a 5k PB last night on the track (17:15)

Doing Mablethorpe 1/2 on Sunday so I'll put my prediction on the prediction thread.

Today's session:

What: 35 mins recovery
    Why: need to recover a bit before Sunday
    Last hard: Last night's 5k

• Hello!

Back on the important topic, I do concur with the "Pete's Eats not as good as it used to be" concensus. But it's still the best in that particular town and I did like their map room and the Net access.

Meanwhile only on Tuesday I offered to use a friend's spare Windsor Half Marathon place... ho hum - let's just hope this is the last of the disease for many years to come.

• What: 2km swim d&d, will run later
    • Why: Ticking along

Have a good day all!

• Will read back later tonight- I am in the library! and while we are allowed to browse around a bit, I have another 290 pages of classical chinese epitaphs to go through today and tomorrow image

I have noticed you are all terribly optimistic about my 5k attempt on the prediction league. Haha- I bet you I can't do it in under 30 mins! Quick, go and revise your predictions while you still can!

•  Training: what: 5k with a few breaks
    • why: not overdoing it, making sure everything goes fine

I'll have  20min slow tomorrow, and that should be enough. The fun run will be a PB in my eyes, no matter how fast or slow image (Can you tell yet that I am actually excited?)

• Afternoon folks.

Drew - good to hear from you again...hope all the wedding plans are progressing well. Sounds like your running has remained largely unaffected by it all...

Had a promising run at lunchtime...as mentioned this morning the plan was to run about 7 miles including a 20min 'tempo' section...had it in mind to push this section a little beyond tempo pace and to see how it went. Did a 1.5 mile warmup, then headed off on the pace section (we run out for 10mins, turn and try to get back to the starting point in as close to 10mins as possible). Sat in with quicker mate - he was running within himself - but started feeling it a bit as we approached the turn. Just hung in there all the way back, running at what felt like something around 10k effort...got back to the starting point in 19.58, ending up covering 3.57 miles (5.36 miling) on not the flattest route, and with a few twists and turns. Another couple of miles afterwards to cool down. Very pleased!

Onwards and (hopefully) upwards!

• Morning all,

Blisters - aargh! What's wrong with initiative anyway? I don't mean the person himself, but the rule that constrains him from helping you out. When my shipping arrived here, it turned out that the shipping company had only paid the trucking company to bring it to my driveway, not into my house, so these two huge pallets weighing 1000lbs arrived and were dumped! Even though I told him I had no money in the house and couldn't tip him, the truck driver risked his job by helping me carry my boxes in. Such a nice man!

Welcome back returnees! 

What: weights + core and 70 min steady run
    Why: schedule and distracting from an anticipated broken heart
    Last hard: turbo sesh yesterday
    Last rest: Sat

Good runnings all.

• ((Melissa)) - cripes, that must bloody hard under your circumstances. take care
  • Afternoon

Welcome back Kenobi (so sorry to here about your cancelled race, have you a plan B yet) and Drew

Iron Mel - What a nice man

Visit at physio was optimistic initially she thought it might be a cartilage problem (that don't sound good) but today realised my quads were very very tight, massage very painful. Had a few different machines on it. Leg pulled and stretched in all directions. Have some exercises to do regularly now.

She reckons i should be back running soon quads were pulling at my knee causing the pain. Hope so. Southend 10k in 3 weeks time will be quite interesting see how i do

• Afternoon all,

Wabo: Welcome back, and belated Happy Anniversary.  I can't believe it's a year!

Kenobi:  Good to here from you again.

Drew:  Also welcome back.  Well done on the 5k PB - show's you haven't been idle.

• What:  10m with 10x100m strides.  Legs totally mashed. 
    • Why:  Recovery and speed
    • Last Hard:  Tuesday
    • Last Rest:  78 days

Have a good one

• Mellisa - that sort of action restores ones faith in human nature.

My local sorting office have always been a bit of the sort that bury themselves up their own @rses to the detriment of common sense, and hide it behind "Procedures" as an excuse. They once refused to hand my wife a parcel because it was addressed to our daughter, same surname, different initial. We had the red card this time, but it hadn't been signed by the daughter to allow her Mum to collect it. Not surprising, really, as it was a present for her 2nd birthday.

Melifera - I don't have a problem with post people in general. Just some in particular. These particular folks just don't have a customer focussed ethic, and they are blindly hiding behind a monopoly. Nothing personal. But with an organisation that has that kind of management ethic, if that's what it is, they will be losing business and therefore staff.

Anyway, it's a beautiful day, and I don't want to spoil anybody else's enjoyment.
    I had a cancelled appointment today, no problem, my contact had been sacked so he forgot to tell the Company about my visit. Therefore the MD agreed to pay my costs. All very amicably resolved, and a new date agreed. Which gave me the opportunity to go for a run in the country.

9 undulating/hilly miles eating flies, in the company of Runnerbean, along the top edge of the Cotswold Way. Glorious. About 90 mins. Wildlife included squirrels, green woodpeckers, goldfinches, buzzards, and a parascender.

If I'm canny I may get another 6 miles later.