Options

Thursday 13th september 2007

2»

Comments

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Blisters on a nature note we saw so many eagles in Spain it was amazing.  On the massive uphill climb picture wabo crawling around a tight bend on her bike, slow oh so slow, and a vulture circling up above! I laughed so much!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options

Afternoon..not read back yet...

What : 5 miles  easy

Why : recovery from track session last night...6 x 200,,,,4x300 ,,,3x400,,,I prefer longer reps really but this is what the coach had planned so went with the flow...

Last rest : 5 days

Last hard : 1 day

• Options

Right, after looking at the prediction thread, I'm getting quite nervous and must go and prepare my stuff!

What: Club Mile at the track plus warm up and warm down
    Why: cos it's there and I might wear the HR belt to see how it goes!

OK, I'll post later to check on who was the closest to my estimated result!

• Options

What: 7.5 miles easy

Why: Easier day

Have a good day all

Dave 

• Options

Pammie*:  no plan B yet, I only found out today.  Totally gutted though.

Apparently there is a half in Folkestone which might be manageable, and it is meant to be flat, which is good.  I'm probably a month or so behind where I'd like to be so was fearing Windsor's hills.  In any case I shall keep on training so I can be fit if I get a place at FLM.

Found out today one of my work colleagues is a sub 2:50 marathon runner, running FLM hoping to qualify for the 2009 championship.  He wants me to run with him occasionally - no chance!

• Options
    wonder how fell liker has done
  • Options

Evening,

Just back from tonight's run and preparing to pop out and sink a couple of pints.

Today was 6M with the middle 4M at 'threshold pace'.  So, I did 1M gently to warm up, and then set off.  Now, for a threshold run, I don't tend to look at my watch - I concentrate on two questions as I'm running along - Question 1: Can I keep this pace up for all 4 miles? Question 2: could I run any faster without it becoming uncomfortable?  As long as the answers are "Yes" and "No", I'm happy.  Question 1 takes priority over Question 2 normally, if there's a conflict.

Target pace was 8:00, but as I said, no peeking at watch to see how well/badly things are going.  Probably not the best approach to a threshold run, but...

Anyway, imagine my surprise/pleasure at getting home and discovering the 4M were done in 7:46, 7:38, 7:36 and 7:27 - not only is that well under target pace, but it's getting quicker as time goes by!  Bit of a result, I think.

So why do Sunday's long runs keep going wrong?  I guess the answer may well be that I am running too fast during the week!

• Options

Good luck Fell Liker!

Drew - lovely to see you, sounds like everything is just great - good luck with the wedding.

Wabo - sounds like you had a wonderful holiday.

Clink - you sound so refreshed - are all those schedules in Pfitzinger's & ? book? Maybe I should get it. Might stop me from thinking, now what should I do today....

Mike - you've done well for that to be your first d & f - hope the massage did the magic!

Stickless - well done on the long run - good confidence booster! Sorry about the old dog. We've got one of those too.

What: 1 mile warm up with 4 strideouts, then 6 x 800m with 400m jog recovery - 3.20, 3.18, 3.19, 3.24, 3.25, 3.26.

Now, I was only going to do 3 of them as you can see they progressively got slower!

I came home and told my husband about Yassos and that if I had done 10 of them in 3.30 it's supposed to indicate a 3.30 marathon. I was very red-faced, as in hot and bothered, as I was telling him this. He replied, " that by the state of you, if you'd done 10 of them, you'd be dead!!" 

Good running everyone.

• Options

Evening (morning for those who check this out tomorrow!), back from my 4 laps of gut-wrenching pain! A quick report for you. Perfect conditions for the race, hardly a breath of wind and warm (if a bit muggy) out on the track. I arrived and did a good 10lap warm up with a few of the others, but noted that not many from the club had turned up - typical, which some of the club have commented on, recently. The 800m in July had about 18 entrants, whereas tonight, there were only 11 (BRilly - no users and exes there tonight!).

Anyway, there was some factory nearby that was belching out smoke and as there was little wind, the smoke had drifted towards the track (this was going to affect me later) so that was a bad thing. We set off and I tried to pace it well, aiming for about 87secs for lap 1, then get faster. After lap2, my lungs felt like they were bursting and the smoke was getting into them, making me wheeze more than I would have expected.

A couple of runners I should have beaten passed me in lap3 (BRilly - they were Beth and Paul) and I just couldn't hang on to them, so dug in to stop the club's two very fit 60 year olds passing me! lap 3 went in 86secs.

I couldn't remember what lap I was on, my lungs were protesting and I was breathing raggedly from the effort, plus I needed the toilet but I clung on and put my foot down again for the last 100m to get over the line in 5:43, although I don't know the exact result yet. 
    My splits were: 84; 87; 86; 85 so not too bad for my level of fitness, I reckon. Only 5 weeks into HR training (or training with a purpose after an injury-filled year) and a considerable amount of weight put on in both muscle and chocolate from biking and living life. Also not done any speedwork since at least July, so I finished 7th out of 11, so that's OK too.

BRilly - winner was James in 4:47 (a brilliant time) and DB did 5:00, although his watch said 4:59.86!

After the pain had subsided, I can honestly say that I enjoyed tonight and would do more of those races. 7 laps to warm down and that's me done!

• Options

LOL at NZC! I think my short range racing has helped my rep results. Or is it supposed to be the other way about? No, I was right. I haven't done much track this year, but I have tried to get a midweek evening race if it's on offer. So that's about every 3 weeks. No wonder I'm a bit stiff this week.

I've omitted to tell the wife about the lunchtime run, so that I could be allowed out for my ratrun this evening. 6.5 miles in 54 minutes. I know that it was 43 minutes yesterday. But there you are.

Wildlife?

Nearly ate a large flying insect. I think it was a wasp, and as my lips were slightly ajar at that particular point, I had it momentarily held. Thankfully I had spat/wafted/coughed it out before any painful contact was made. As you know, I don't react very well to these things. To be honest it could have been anything, although, for BR's sake, I doubt that it was a Vespa.

• Options
    Great effort there Fell Liker. It can't be pleasant running in those conditions. I hope that you are satisfied with the result. Maybe there's another opportunity in a week's time? I find that is a perfect preparation for a short race.
  • Options

Hey well done FL, I confess to not reading properly but popped in due to your message from prediction htread. I am tired and must get to bed, so I do apologise for not reading back.

I understand our clink did very well in her half last weekend. WELL done Clink, I am made up for you. This is great stuff and well deserved in Scoobs book. I must try to emulate your patience as mine is lacking. But you did really well and your consitency and training paid off - so well done. :0)

There were many more and i did read but did not have time to do a post to you all and I am sorry as I know it means a lot to be recognised for our achievements. Once job has settled down I hope to be a bit more active on the forums once again. I do think the support that we all give to each other really does help. And a little time to mention everyone goes a long way. I will be back to this soon I hope.

In meantime, I love my new job. But I am severly understaffed, hence no time. However I hope that with some new procedures in place things will eventually settle into a more mamageable fashion.

Until then it will be intermittant posts from me.

So on that note;

What: one hour hilly club run
    Why: half marathon I hope
    last Hard: although a good pace, not tonight as I enjoyed every single minute of it
    Last Rest: far too often, but I am trying to be sensible and build carefully, so yesterday, so ''v's up to that ttfn person thank you!

Take care all and run well. :0)

Oh and I can recommend the double chocolate cheesecake that is on the menu at Pillaton - Weary Friar Pub. It comes with double clotted cream and is extremely scrummy! Ooops! Sensible eating is on holiday....And boy did I feel like my tummy was about to split afterwards! Pheweee! :0)

• Options

Well done FL - Did you wear your HR monitor during the race?

Glad you enjoyed your holiday, Clink

Hope the ankle continues to improve, Brumliz

Sounds very positive about your run, Stickless. Sorry to hear about your four legged friend

Some very optimistic predictions for my Half Marathon on the prediction thread! I have decided to race it, but am very uncertain of what the outcome will be

Accidental mileage done today. Car broke down and it was my turn to bring the horse in for the night this evening, so I had no other choice than to run up to and back from the yard.So...

What: 12.27 miles(forgot to reset my garmin, once I was up at the yard!) done in 99 minutes. Average pace 8:05 min/miling

Why: Stupid car

Last hard: ?

Last rest (from running): Yesterday