Work/Life Imbalance

Every office has one, it's just a question of how much you have to deal with them and whether you can ignore them.  Someone at work who is completely unreasonable, manipulative, unpleasant (and that's just their good points) is really, really getting under my skin.

Logically I know that in the grand scheme of things and in the context of the rest of my life it couldn't matter less, but on the other hand the events of last week have ruined my weekend and I'm dreading next week.

It's not as if I don't have a life outside work, or that I don't have friends I can talk to about it.   I also run fairly long distances regularly, but if anything that tends to be when it all pops into my head more rather than less, either with our without very loud music pounding away whilst I do the same to the country lanes. 

Regularly as clockwork I wake up at 3am with a head full of it, can't get back to sleep again, so as a result I cope with it even less well the following day, and don't have an evening as I drop off on the sofa at 8.30pm.  I had a week on a beach a fortnight ago, and if anything it's worse now after a week back at work than it was before I went away.

How does everyone else switch off?  It's not as if any of it really matters, it's not my life it's just the thing that finances it, but it's getting increasingly invasive and I'm not myself any more as a result.

Comments

• I'm fairly lucky in that I can switch off without too mych thought - make sure you have something important to do immediately after work and this will consume any frustration.  I go straight home from work and get started on my family's dinner.

I've found previously that a good argument actually makes me run faster - anyone else found this??

Finally, you should have it out with the person in question if they're that bad.  Failing that, try your manager or HR??

• Re: the switching off bit............. pass!

Running does usually shake down any tension I have and make me feel better.

Re: the work issue. It sounds from your post as if one of two things (or a combination) is happening.

1)You are being bullied or unfairly treated

2)You are allowing yourself to be affected by this person

No 1 - there is lots of advice on the net  Workplace bullying link

No 2 - I might sound a bit unsympathetic in my wording but there is a part that you have to play in working through this issue, either on your own or with that person. You can't control other people completely but you can control your reaction to it.

Life's too short to live as you describe - you obviously know that, hence your thread but maybe switching off isn't the answer....more confronting the issue ?
  • I sympathise Hashette. I am having a very bad case of Sunday night blues.

I work in a small recruitment company with lovely peeps so that's not the problem. I am, however, been stalked by a candidate who I think has a form of autism (which makes it very difficult to know how to handle, yet I feel very vulnerable).  Also, under lots of pressure from clients at the moment.

On the positive side, I've kept myself busy this weekend, triathlon training, retail therapy etc. Just wish those demons didn't resurface just before bedtime when it's a long week ahead.

I agree with Mrs Pig though - am determined to confront all the things that are bothering me next week. No point prolonging the suffering.