Options

Sheffield Half-Marathon

Has anyone done this? I'm looking to sign up for my first half marathon and i'm wondering if this one would be suitable?

Comments

• Options

I have run this the last two years, and think it is a very well organised half. Runners of all abilities take part, and as far as running in Sheffield goes it is probably as flat a route as the organisers could find. It has a long hill at the Eccleshall Road, but tonnes of support to help you through this bit.

I'll be doing it again next year.

• Options

Hello Sarah and NGL

I did this as my first ever race in 2005. Its a great event and next year will be my 4th time. I don't know how well you know Sheffield, but its not a bad course TBH. Pretty flat with some slight inclines past Ponds Forge through Sharrow and then up Eccleshall Road (but the support along there is superb!!), then its downhill all the way (almost). The last few miles are tough because there isn't that much support, and then they make you do a lap of Don Valley before you enter the stadium which is a killer!

They had a bit of a blip last year IMO by just giving out t-shirts and not medals, but I believe they've reverted back to medals this year. You definitely want a medal from a big city Half! Particularly if its your first one!

• Options
    Cavey, are you the fetch Cavey?
  • Options
    Certainly am. How are you doing? Not seen you for a while, since Sheffield Half I think. Have you got any local races coming up?
  • Options

Hia, thinking of Worksop Half, doing a leg of the Luton relay in early Dec, and maybe finishing the year with Bolsover 10k.

Not raced since Sheffield, although had a laugh at the Matlock Sprint Tri on August Bank Holiday.

What about you?

• Options

Sprint triathlon? How did you get on? I've been toying with trying a Tri, but need to brush up on swimming and cycling (and running for that matter!)

I've entered Worksop and Bolsover. Also probably doing Clowne Half, Barnsley 10k and Percy Pud.

So probably see you at Worksop or Bolsover.

• Options

1hr 20, its a nice friendly intro to tri, done it twice now, the biggest bonus is its only £6. Tis a touch hilly on the run and bike though.

Might do Clowne, have done Barnsley, but thats a bit of a trek for me.

• Options
    i'll be doing this one again next year, it will also be my 4th sheffield half, 8th overall.  thinking of doing Worksop next month as well.  Did the nottingham half 3 weeks ago, love that one.
  • Options

I'm toying with Worksop and Clowne, haven't raced for ages and need something to get my juices flowing.

I like the Nottingham half as well, but haven't run it since they changed the course.

• Options
    I can't make up my mind whether to try this one or go for the Ackworth Half Marathon since i live in the Village!
  • Options
    I've just entered this! It will be my second half marathon - I did Nottingham 2006 and only done Sheffield 10k this year! I need something to keep me running through the winter (I'll slack off if not). The course doesn't sound too bad, hopefully I'll improve on my extremely poor first HM time!!

NGL - they apparently changed the course again this year after so many complaints about the 2006 course. I personally thought it was fine but I'm used to hilly runs!

H
  • Options

I've done this half marathon for the last 2 years and it is one of my favouite courses, considering its in South Yorkshire it is a very flat course, and is well supported the finish at the Don Valley Stadium is amazing!!! I stepped up to do my first full marathon in Nottingham in September, although not the best time in the world I really enjoyed it.

I'm in the same boat as you Helen in that I need an event to aim for to keep me training over the winter, i'm waiting to hear at the end of the month if i've got into FLM!!! Fingers crossed, then i'll have to seriously step up my training over the winter

If not i'll train for the Sheffield Half...

What distances are you running over the winter???

• Options
    hi TBB are you from sheff  
  • Options
    TBB - Hope you get into the FLM - I admire you so much I remember Nottingham 2006 running and clapping all the marathon runners on the split at 12 miles. I had enough to worry about not stopping to walk in the last mile! What was your time? What was the course like? Well done!

Well all week day runs are now in the dark so I think it's official winter running!! I'm not doing too much really 3-6 miles 4 or 5 days a week. I'll start upping the mile in January I think. Sheffield will only be my second half marathon and only the second time I've run this distance. I'm thinking of doing more training this time. My time last year was really awful and I'm currently losing some weight which i'm hoping will improve my running pace. Not dieting as such, just eating really healthily and food combining. I have a naturally slow metabolism which is annoying!

Anyway, I'm rambling!

How's everyone's running going??

H
  • Options
    running going ok got two 10ks comming up but as most of my training runs are at night and its getting harder to motivate myself to go out into the cold wet weather and at the moment I am running no more than 13 miles a week !!!! that will have to change if i want to beat last years time
  • Options
    I'm struggling with motivation as well. It's definitely the cold weather. I'm trying to use my running and eating healthily to lose some weight. I hope that will improve my speed _ I'm not the fastest runner, I tend to average 10 and half or 11 minute miles on runs over 5 miles but I'm hoping that losing some weight will help, not to mention not putting as much pressure on my joints and improving my health!! It's tough though.

I had a lovely 5 mile run yesterday morning and it was so nice to go one of my summer routes along the country lanes which I can't do in the weekday evenings now because some places aren't lit. I only have one option of a route in the dark and it involves the main road so it's not very inspiring - I sometimes feel it takes the joy out of running which I don't like.

FF - which 10ks are you doing? I fancy doing another one soon but don't know of any.
  • Options

I love winter running TBH. Its great wrapping up and heading out into the cold as its normally deserted especially if its raining!!

I do a lot of my shorter runs in the gym on the treadmill, and then head out once or twice a week for my longer runs. I ran round Derwent on Sunday and normally you pass hundreds of people, but I counted about 10 - 20 on Sunday, which was great!! Does that make me sound really anti-social??

• Options
    I don't mind the cold weather and the weekend runs in the winter - It's just there's only one route I can do on my own and it's just the busy main road and it just gets boring because I can't choose where I want to go. I loved my Saturday run as I could go on the country lanes I use in the winter and it's a more challenging hilly route and I love it! I love running in the rain, I get so hot that it's so refreshing when the spots start!

I can't afford the gym membershio and hate the treadmill - I always think I'm going to fall off!

Cavey, don't worry about the anti-social-ness, I'm like that all the time, just put my iPod headphones in and go into my own little world. I love it! I do say hello to some runners and passers by though!
  • Options

Shame they've moved next year's event compared to this year.  Was looking at doing the Lochaber marathon on the same day and really did want to beat my time knowing what to expect so I can't do Sheffield now image  Damn these "3 weeks earlier" events i.e Reading, Sheffield etc...

• Options
    I did think it was earlier this year than it has been - my Mum's done it numerous times and it's always been in May
  • Options
    hi Aitch doing the percy pud and the bolsover 10ks
  • Options
    Oooh, when's the Bolsover one? Not too far from me, I'm a Chesterfield girl! Also, what's the Percy Pud one?!

I think I need a race looming to keep me on track!
  • Options
    Oooh, when's the Bolsover one? Not too far from me, I'm a Chesterfield girl! Also, what's the Percy Pud one?!

I think I need a race looming to keep me on track!
  • Options

Bolsover is 16th Dec, but think its sold out, and Percy Pud is in Sheffield but thats definitely sold out, its almost as hard to get in to as FLM!!

Sorry!

• Options
    Oh I'm quite gutted - I fancied a race before Christmas, never mind! Keep up the good work though. I've only done one 10k and really enjoyed it but defo need to improve on the very poor time - I'm not very fast image!!
  • Options

Its hard to be fast at 10k round these parts because of the hills!!!

I don't know how far you like to travel for races, but there's a 10mile race in Stockport on 9th Dec, and a 10k in Brighouse W.Yorks on 6th Jan. I'm toying with doing those two at the moment.

• Options

Aitch.., Leeds and Sheffield half marathons were on the 13th and 20th May this year.  Can't remember off the top of my head which one was which.

• Options

I'm doing the Sheffield half it's on 26th April!

Think Stockport is a bit far to travel really, I'll leave the 10k til one close by crops up. I'll focus on the half training in the new year. I really have to do more long runs this time round, my legs ached for days after my first one last year and I found the last 3 miles REALLY hard as my longest training run was only 10.5 miles! I managed to run all the way but last 2 miles must've been snails pace! This reflects in my poor time but I just think it was my first one and my only aim was to get round it and try and run all the way which I did! As long as my next one is a little bit faster I'll be happy image!! I'm thinking a few 11/12 mile runs in training will help!

• Options
    Aich dont think the bolsover race is full try here http://www.ndrc.co.uk/ or go to the bolsover thread one of the posters is a club member
  • Options
    Just looked the closing date for entries was the 30/11 but theres plenty of 10ks after xmas