Going from a half to a full marathon...how easy is it?

2»

Comments

• Getting to the 20 mile LSR is probably a bigger challenge than the race. I'm trying to move up to mara dist and so far struggling to get the miles in. Just got to build the distance slowly and stick at it. That's the theory but don't under estimate the challenge.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    PSC - are you doing LSRs fortnightly? Just add one or two miles each time.
  • first marathon I did I was very fit in an all round way - did it in 4.15 - furthest I ran in training was 16 miles and at that only twice... now I'm not so fit and run 16 miles at least 4 times before a marathon (ok not a great change but hey, I like to have another life too!) and it's actually harder! A marathon is very much about what's between your ears... concentate, focus, don't give up, keep going! You'll make it!
  • God knows what happened to my last post from last night....seems to have been repeated a miliion times over!  Sorry about that...bliming computers!image
  • I  Did my first 1/2 in 1:35 and then this year in 1:42! Just couldn't get going this year on the day. I had a few niggling injuries in the build up and wasn't very confident in actually competing on the day but made it round! Was in a bit of pain at the end but it was worth it. Surpriseingly I was OK the next day unlike the first time where I couldn't walk for days! make sure you have a proper cool down and stretch and a massage is well worth it if its available! I'm hoping to get home early enough for a decent run tonight to try and gauge what shape i'm actually in?
  • Donner,

I went from the 1/2 to the full at Stratford this year! To be honest with you, its not such a hard transition, provided you are prepared to put in the miles, you will need to run upto at least 22 miles in training to do it, but following one of the excellent RW training plans will give you the needed preparation. The weekly "long run" is the key IMO.

I only did 18 miles in training for Stratford, believing that the "enthusiasm of the day" would carry me through the last 8. How wrong was I, I blew up at 17miles and really struggled to the end! Still I am going back next year to "do it properly, with correct training!

Stratford itself, is a lovely course. Its 2 laps of relatively easy running, good atmoshere and support. But be warned, the last 3-4 miles is on a cinder ex-railway track which goes on forever and saps your strengh and resolve. I suggest going beforehand and training on this stretch so you know what to expect.

But overall, go for it, and I will see you there!!   

• I've just done my first 1/2M and am now training for a full next spring - not sure which one though. Advice would be good - I'd like a bit of atmosphere and reasonable facilities (eg loos before the start!), not any horrendous hills (although undulating is fine), and not any more crowded than the Nottingham (11,000ish in the 1/2M).   

I bought the Competitive Runner's Handbook and am finding it invaluable as it has advice very specific to different distances and different abilities (it counts a competitive runner as anyone who enters a race, not just people who come near the front!). It's got a chapter on nutrition: not huge detail (you'd need a separate book for that) but lots of useful info. The level of the content overall is enough for me to be learning plenty from it (I have a Personal Trainer qualification, and a lot of books on running don't go beyond that level) but it's also very readable and not full of jargon. At the moment I'm just focussing on getting my mileage higher with a bit of hills and intervals and applying the 10% per week increase rule on long runs and total mileage, with a day or so rest a week as well as some recovery run days. I'm doing weights largely to strengthen muscles so joints are well supported - I've had injuries in the past but only the odd niggle since doing strength training although people tend to recommend more reps and lower weights for running (I do sets of 10 at a weight I can't do many more, but 15-20 reps would probably be more usual. The latter is more to develop muscular endurance while my 10s are more to develop muscular strength). And I do some core stuff with a swiss ball which is supposed to be good for balance. However, it's too early to say whether this is all going to work! I know you're only supposed to aim to get round the course on your first marathon, but I would like a time I can be proud of.

• Congrats on your 1/2 Rachel, I've just started training again after running Reading half for the last two years. I've just sent my application form off for flm yesterday as well! and entered Reading for 08 as well. Trying to pursuade my gfriend to do Reading with me next year is more difficult than running it myself!
  • Thanks for all your advice guys!  I will check out that book that you mentioned Rachel...sounds really good!  Have been thinking about doing some weights, like Rachel mentioned...try and make me stronger and support my joints etc and also need to look more into nutrition.  Also will start looking at the training plans too so I can see what I am up against!  You guys are the best image
  • The Competitive Runner's Handbook is by Bob Glover and Shelly-lynn Florence Glover, published by Penguin ISBN0-14-046990-7. I got it off the Amazon used section for about a fiver plus postage.
  • Cheers Rachel image  will have a look!  It is my birthday soon so will start dropping the hint to anyone who will listen!
  • I'm seriously thinking of doing Stratford Marathon next year. I've been running for 3 years and race as often as I can , sometimes once a week . I did the Solent Half this Sunday , a local 10K last week and the new Forest Half the week before. I've done loads of 10K's , 10 milers and halfs . The problem is I do have a slightly dodgy leg after a broken thigh 20 yrs ago. I can handle the smaller distances but as I try to edge out beyond the 13.1 I end up with knee problems . I'd like to ease gently out to 18 miles by Xmas then try the local 20 milers like Ashby 20 in March .

There is a worry that I could pick up an injury that stops me entering and enjoying all the other races.

I'm determined to do this and amd hoping around 4:15 or there abouts .

Having run for these last years and _not_ done a marathon I feel I'm missing out.
  • Oh I'd better add that I can only run twice a week - wed night and sun morning . I'm going to do the Seagrove Wolds Chalenge 15.7 mile race on Nov 4th , it'll be the furthest I've raced. I can manage a sub 1:50 half (1:48 yesterday) and a 44min 10K .

I suppose I should just ease out a mile a week to 20 then take it from there.
  • Quite a lot of running along roads with traffic (so fumes, etc) and a two lap race, so temptation to quit after half needs to be considered. Nevertheless, reasonably flat and well organised/ marshalled. April has plenty of other marathons, but may be worth steering clear of Paris (London entries closed) and other big cities for first try. On other hand, other people may feel support at big event a bonus. Did my first marathon in Zurich. Dead flat, very picturesque and limited to 7,000.Good Luck!

• Marathon Running for Mortals by John Bingham cannot be recommended highly enough (ISBN 1-4050-4145-5). If ever the training gets you down (and it will) it's a great pick-me-up, as well as having tons on useful advice.
  • I'd like to do an *out and back* as opposed to a 2 lap but there just aren't those races in the midlands in the spring. I really want to take advantage of the 20 milers in the spring to help me. It'd be nice to have the support of the large races like FLM but the hassle of getting a place plus the trouble of getting there and the cost of accomodation leads me to choose a local race that I can drive to on the day with my family. If I like Marathon I'll try a big city one in the future.

The New Forest Marathon has a wonderful course but it's in September - if I like it I'll try that but it musn't interfere with all the brilliant summer races .